RS body kits on non RS cars

W

Wifeb4Life

What do people think of these?

I would normally have said it's an owner trying to hard to have something they can't, I hated when manufacturers bring out lines (BMW M-Line, Alfa Romeo QV-Line etc) which make it look like an M car or QV car but it's got like 1/3rd - 1/5th of the power. Whats the point I asked?

Well I feel personally like I may have just made a u-turn after looking around for the right A7 biTDI for myself and seeing two that had been fully converted to the RS7 look, they are beautiful and stands out so much in Nardo Grey & (Misano I think it's called) Red. I just thought I could possibly have the engine I wanted with these beautiful striking looks I wanted.

Thinking about it I think it's the badges all over the cars on the BMW & Alfas that annoys me making people think you have the top ranges when you have something my wife's fiesta would show up.

So what do you think?
Would you have one?
and can you remove the RS7 badges from the rear and the front grille? That would make it perfect for me

Yes you can remove the badges I agree they are striking models but it depends how far they have gone with the conversion a lot only do the exterior but If they have done the inside seats etc where do you stop. Ps Nardo grey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you definitely can remove the badging then thats a great option. Sadly none had the seats but thats something I concidered maybe looking at retrofitting the honeycomb sports seats but even if this is possible I'm not sure they will look right with the standard back seats.

Also are these exterior panel changes classed as modifications you need to disclose for insurances?

I don't see the problem with S-Line/M-Sport/AMG Line/GT-Line cars. Some people like the look of the more powerful/sporty car but can't/won't want/justify the running costs!

Reactions: AudiTom and Audi Bairn
I'm sure the only difference would be the honeycomb on the back seats I would definitely say you need to notify the insurance company regarding the body kit, as it's made to look like a very desirable car to the scroats of our society

I know the skirts are extras but surely if you buy new or 2 nd hand then what you buy comes with the car and should be classed as standard , I get the point re insurance , We had an Astra Years ago and declared the alloys and the insurance charged extra but as it was a limited edition the wheels came standard .

If the car was made to look like an RS model, then it's not the standard spec to which the car was manufactured I.E. s line etc so if you didn't notify your insurance and you were to make a claim they would be in there right not to pay out as it wasn't declared, an RS model makes it more desirable to the unwanted section of our community.

You could say that about any modification to a vehicle in fairness though. Personally I think there's a fine line between an OEM+ look and ricing it out. Genuine parts are more money for a reason whereas a grp moulded eBay kit is a fraction of both the cost and the quality. As for the badges, that's just trying too much for me.

Reactions: Tj 0785 and Audi Bairn
I don't see the problem with S-Line/M-Sport/AMG Line/GT-Line cars. Some people like the look of the more powerful/sporty car but can't/won't want/justify the running costs!

Agreed mate. I don't mind this either or when folk want to mod their car. I do hate when they badge their car for something it's not though. Most enthusiasts know what they're looking at anyway and it makes them a laughingstock stock if it's, say, got an RS badge when it's clearly not.
I was behind an M3 badged car yesterday which had a single exhaust and was a 2.0 diesel.
I also regularly see an A1 S Line with an RS badge on it "A1 RS" on the rear (****, more like!).
Best (worst) one I've seen in person was our ex neighbour with a (new / quite smart looking) C200 Merc who'd put AMG and Brabus badges all over it :wtf:
Most are nice enough cars in their own right until they do this.

Reactions: Ben jah min, Tj 0785, Peter Metcalf and 1 other person
It is the false badges that really grind my gears. Thus must be a mind field with insurers because if I removed the RS badges and put a custom exhaust on, unless i or the dealership told the next buyer they likely wouldn't know and wouldn't know to declare it to the Insurer.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I do hate when they badge their car for something it's not though. Most enthusiasts know what they're looking at anyway and it makes them a laughingstock stock if it's, say, got an RS badge when it's clearly not.

Couldn't agree more there's a b5 tdi round near me with the rs badge they didn't even remove the tdi badge and the fact the rs4 wasn't done in the saloon shape and rs3 badges on the 8l s3 can't help but laugh at them

I have a few RS7 parts on mine, but anyone who knows the RS7 would immediately know its not one. However its a de-baged sleeper, with a few mods, and can still scare the sh!t out most of the boy racers at the lights :racer:

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Tj 0785
See I can understand that your making the car better and how you want it to be but at the same time your not trying to pass it off as something it's not

Reactions: KrisKrk, Audi Bairn and RAF_S7
Fake RS/S models bug me, I'm also not a fan of S-line/amg/st-line/any others. I get that some people want a good looking car but can't afford the full fat version or the running costs but making their top of the range cars look almost identical to a 1.9tdi takes away some of the "specialness" from the S/RS model.

On the flip side, it's made spare bumpers etc a lot cheaper for the S models now that the s-line parts are identical.

I don't mind kitted cars so long as they are not badged up as a higher spec model.

TBF I de-badged my S4 so PPL prob think I have tried to make mine look like one :)

S-Line, M-Sport etc all bug me. Its dilutes the premium full fat models which have spoilers, larger and wider wheels and wider track etc all for a purpose.

However, they say its clever marketing and say its an aspirational thing. i.e. The S-Line owner looks up to the S Model owner who looks up to the RS owner. I think this happens on the QT without any owner actually admitting it but there are also those who just buy to their budget. They won't be on here as they aren't enthusiasts.

However, back on the specific topic, I think if its about OEM+ then go for it. If its about trying to look like an RS with badges - it will be cheaper to buy an RS to do properly.

For instance, the wheels alone, if they have the correct offset and massive rotors and callipers behind them then they look great but they look gash if
they have standard little discs like 10p pieces.