RS3 8V News

Will go and have a look at it in Paris as we should be out there then.

One tip, if any of you go DO NOT go on the first public open day or first weekend, you can wait an hour to get a taxi or on a metro train for most of the day. At times when we were looking at cars you'd almost be lifted off your feet by the surge of people trying to get near cars (Lamborghini was bad in 2010 as they bought the Sesto Elemento). We got stuck in the aftermath traffic at 8pm going to dinner in the Latin quarter quite some distance away from La Periphique and a journey that usually costs €8 cost us €25 just say in traffic.

Reactions: ValleyA3
I hope you didn't pay cash for a brand new a3, a one owner car would of been so much cheaper and let someone else loose the VAT

So how come used S3 is selling for similar money to a new one.. There will be some loss but with a good discount you can lose a fair proportion of the VAT and if near 60% residual value on full price is achieved (as predicted) I for one will be very happy!

It wasn't an s3 he bought. We all know when it comes to 's' models normal residual patterns go out the window!

I hope you didn't pay cash for a brand new a3, a one owner car would of been so much cheaper and let someone else loose the VAT

ironically buying an A3 with drive the deal discount is now the same price as a 1 year old one (did my research - u lose about £2-3k in year 1, I couldn't find a 1 year old s line sportback for any less than the new price less DTD 10% discount). So the whole statement of "u lose 20%" when u drive off the forecourt isn't really true anymore with great discounts (this also applies to A4s and A5s - u can get 25% off a new one, actually cheaper than buying a year old one!). NOTE- This is as long as u are willing to sell privately ;) u can lose ridiculous amounts with part ex. E.g. My evoque- bought £33k, worth between £29.5k-£30.5k after one year privately (vs £26k-£27k part ex!)

also, buying in cash is nearly always cheaper overall than getting PCP/lease/hire purchase/company car as u aren't paying any interest- and depending on ur risk profile, u may only be earning 1-2% on that cash if u had it. Ultimately Audi/the banks/the lease companies have to make their money somewhere, they aren't a charity! ;)

but obvs u have to have the cash in the first place! If you're lucky some newly launched cars hold their value/grow in the first year or so (Scirocco/Evoque/TT etc)

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnM100
Fair play, I won't argue with a man who clearly did his research! You can see what my point was though.

Fair play, I won't argue with a man who clearly did his research! You can see what my point was though.

Ha ha yeah i work in a data analysis job so this kinda research is fun! Yeah I can see what u mean :) thing is an S3 (as it holds it's value so well in % terms) ends up actually costing not much more in depreciation!

And it's worth noting that even with a PCP you are still paying for the "drive off the forecourt" deprecation, it's just spread over 3-4 years. It just doesn't feel like it- e.g. My A3 would have been £400 a month x 36 months = £14.4k which is pretty much the full depreciation, plus interest.

So how come used S3 is selling for similar money to a new one.. There will be some loss but with a good discount you can lose a fair proportion of the VAT and if near 60% residual value on full price is achieved (as predicted) I for one will be very happy!

IMO no point buying a used 8V S3 ATM as most are cheaper to actually buy new and choose the exact spec you want and haggle a decent discount, this won't hold true forever but certainty for now.

Reactions: PilotAudi
Absolutely ! & you will know how it's been driven.

Will be interesting to see if Audi introduce the 400PS 4 pot VW engine featured in Autocar. That would be awesome!

Absolutely ! & you will know how it's been driven.

True! And you lose out on 1 year warranty, plus get all the year 4 MOT/issue cost a year earlier- nowadays new cars (with discount) vs 2nd hand is almost no difference, and you can spec to your needs

True! And you lose out on 1 year warranty, plus get all the year 4 MOT/issue cost a year earlier- nowadays new cars (with discount) vs 2nd hand is almost no difference, and you can spec to your needs

I took mine over 4 years as with options and exclusive paint etc didn't want to start looking for a new car after 2.5 years and paid for a 4th year warranty just encase

There are used S3SB with a lesser spec than mine (with 5yr warranty) currently advertised for £2k more than I paid new..

I took mine over 4 years as with options and exclusive paint etc didn't want to start looking for a new car after 2.5 years and paid for a 4th year warranty just encase

Good plan! I took mine with 5 year warranty, as £260 a year is much less than any aftermarket warranty as well, and plan to keep for 5 years.

I couldn't get close to the spec of mine - there are only 3 in the country with S-tronic & COD - the cheapest was a different colour, no 5 yr warranty, no ACC, no LED headlights, no park plus, no ***, no fold mirrors, no HH/TPM, no mono pur etc - £2ks worth extras I would want to pay for, and just £2k less than I paid for mine, and 6k miles on the clock and 9 months old.

You think the paps who shot those photos would be able to hear the difference between a 4 and 5 cylinder engine! Intrigued to see which one of the two options surfaces, but the 4 cylinder does make sense if they can do it without excessive lag (remember Evo FQ-400 and it's monumental lag). It's going to need a very trick turbo.

Hope so. They've poached the engine designer of the A45 AMG from Merc so they are hoping to surpass the 355bhp from that 4 pot. It will need serious cooling capability if they go the high boost / smaller turbo route. Will be a benchmark engine.

I must admit, recent form is that Audi like to lead the way on the BHP front, I just can't see them missing out on the change to trounce Merc and the others so this does feel possible, but as you say technically difficult and might include the same torque limitations in 1st and 2nd gear

It's a 2.5 Liter 5 cilinder with 367 BHP. With Quattro logo optional in frontgrill. Double oval exhaust pipes.

Last edited:
That's a 5 pot turbo RS3 mule without a shadow of a doubt. It looks a bit heavy :/

Not sure where I stand on this.
I had expected the Golf 400 engine (lighter more efficient) but love the 5 cylinder noise.
So, if the Golf makes 200hp/litre, then a 2.5 must surely be more powerful.....? The rumoured 367 sounds a bit weak.
I have also heard rumours of 3 cylinder COD running on the 5 cylinder to boost efficiency....

The new S3 engine will need to last 4-5 years to have made the R&D worthwhile so Audi won't be laying there best hand right out of the blocks. No doubt the Golf 400 engine will make an appearance sometime down the line.