RS3 8v sports exhaust on 8p?

fernando young

Reaction score
i've been wondering if you can run the 8v exhaust on the 8p, since technically it'd be the same.
because the 8v sports exhaust sounds amazingly good. what might be the difference? or what should i do to get the same sound on the 8p.
has anyone done anything like that?

thanks!

I'm sure its not impossible, just depends how different the floor pan is on the 8v ( its a different chassis) and how much fabrication and cash you want to throw at it.

The sports exhaust on the 8V is approx. £1500 from the secondary cats back when bought from Audi as parts.

A couple of things you would need to consider...
The batteries are in the boot so you would have to check they haven't tweaked the layout for the 8V dual oval outlets.

The active exhaust flaps are electrically motorised on the 8v not vacuum operated, so you would need to sort that.

Unless you chop up valance, you will need to do something with the RH tails.
I guess you could keep them and just get them turned downwards to remain hidden behind the bumper.

Then there is the existing tails, if you turn one set down to save cutting the valance, you would need to swap out the 8V oval for the 8P twin outlets.

I think cutting the valance and putting the twin ovals would look horrible.

However, done properly, keeping the original RS3 8P oem tails, and getting the 8V back box in there with suitable vacuum operated flaps, would be interesting to see,

Reactions: fernando young
Maybe you could blank off the opposite pipe on the 8V and chop one tail pipe off and the. just feed the OEM side on the 8P

I'm sure its not impossible, just depends how different the floor pan is on the 8v ( its a different chassis) and how much fabrication and cash you want to throw at it.

The sports exhaust on the 8V is approx. £1500 from the secondary cats back when bought from Audi as parts.

A couple of things you would need to consider...
The batteries are in the boot so you would have to check they haven't tweaked the layout for the 8V dual oval outlets.

The active exhaust flaps are electrically motorised on the 8v not vacuum operated, so you would need to sort that.

Unless you chop up valance, you will need to do something with the RH tails.
I guess you could keep them and just get them turned downwards to remain hidden behind the bumper.

Then there is the existing tails, if you turn one set down to save cutting the valance, you would need to swap out the 8V oval for the 8P twin outlets.

I think cutting the valance and putting the twin ovals would look horrible.

However, done properly, keeping the original RS3 8P oem tails, and getting the 8V back box in there with suitable vacuum operated flaps, would be interesting to see,

well yeah the length could be different due to the platform, but nothing that cant be modified.
as @tankclark said, maybe chopping one side and leaving the original side could be a good idea.

the thing is that i dont really understand why and where does the 8v RS3 get that sound, it pops like crazy.
i'm not sure if i've seen an 8p with aftermarket exhausts doing a nicely sound like that before.

i recently made a custom downpipe and twin test pipes, all decat, and it improved the sound, but still not even close to the 8V (stock) sound..

anyways, thanks guys for the info! i'll keep you posted.
or if anyone tries this before me, feel free to update this

Maybe i'm wrong but i think pops and bangs are part of ecu setup.
So doing so much custom 8v exhaust work might not help you.
I remember that my friends astra vxr had loud pops and bangs while my s3 does it sometimes but nowhere as loud as that thing was. It was somekind of ecu setup.

If it's anything like other audis or the A45 AMG then the pops and crackles come from putting drops of fuel into the hot exhaust, you won't replicate this with an exhaust.

Maybe i'm wrong but i think pops and bangs are part of ecu setup.
So doing so much custom 8v exhaust work might not help you.
I remember that my friends astra vxr had loud pops and bangs while my s3 does it sometimes but nowhere as loud as that thing was. It was somekind of ecu setup.
it does make sense! never thought about that actually, shame on me hahaha

I've thought it might be related to overfueling mapped into the car etc.

However an 8V owner on another forum managed to buy the sports exhaust cat back and had Audi fit it for approx £1500, and got the pops and bangs. No ecu mods.

Unless the mapping is there on the 8V regardless to which exhaust is fitted.

I think it's something on mapping on newer audi rs models. Older ones didn't do that. If you look at any rs6 c7, rs3 8v videos you'll see they have lots of pops and bangs, with the free flow ehxaust it's just much louder, while the previous models aren't like that.
There are lots of rs3 8p runing aftermarket exhausts which should be same or even better than audi sport exhaust and they don't do that.
I might be wrong, but i think that's much money and custom work involved into something that might not give results that you want.

I've thought it might be related to overfueling mapped into the car etc.

However an 8V owner on another forum managed to buy the sports exhaust cat back and had Audi fit it for approx £1500, and got the pops and bangs. No ecu mods.

Unless the mapping is there on the 8V regardless to which exhaust is fitted.

the pops and bang might be there, its just the cats or something in the exhaust holding them.
i really dont know