RS3 8V Wheel Choice

N

Nimbus265

So my RS3 will come with standard silver rotors, as I generally switch to winter tyres between Nov and March, and these I think will be perfect for winter boots.

So anyone have an ideas for a summer wheel and tyre combo? I've been considering BBS -CH-Rs , but it seems to be the wheel of choice and I know a few have gone down this route.

Could anyone give me some ideas?

Thanks

Reactions: Caval4r
RS6's best of the best imo

imag0048-jpg.41784

Reactions: Yorrick and GRE57Y
I don't have any valid input in another wheel but the BBS CH have been done to death...

This is something I am interested in though so I will watch this thread closely!

I actually really like these, not sure what they are though?

mattRS4avant.jpg

I could do with knowing the RS3 8V ET. Anyone like to hazard can guess or point me in the right direction? Thanks

:nogarors4:a quick bump - I'm still after options and an ET (what is the best way to find this out) Thanks

I have some alternatives is it easy to upload photos?

Careful, as nice as they are them's are 8.5J and could be a problem at the rear...

Thinking this morning perhaps get the 'standard' silver wheels at no extra cost and have them painted professionally in a dark grey / matt black for which I have been quoted £300 which maybe a better option. Would be on a Daytona Grey car the options Audi are offering just remind me of a dotted line or is that just me? At least painting them all one colour they are pretty indiscreet would appreciate any comments on this thought!

Be better for your insurance; non standard wheels and all that, not to mention problems arising with Audi warranty: as discovered with the 8P RS3 cars Audi dealers, bless 'em, are not overly helpful when resolving warranty issues on standard cars let alone anything that may be seen as 'non standard'...

Best go for the paint... but make sure to tell your insurance about that too, just in case...

Good thinking re the paint. Might get that done myself (after a few months and I can have the scratches my wife will decorate them with fixed at the same time!)

Reactions: NormantheDog and 45bvtc
Reference the OZ wheels above they do come in 8.5j and 8.0j presumably the latter would work?

I was looking at that but would then need to buy new tyres or buy the £800 wheels from Audi to get the standard tyres to swap over. I was thinking put the standard tyres on these and winter tyres on the standard Audi ones. I'll find out how much two tyres would be for the front 8.5j's.......

Reference the OZ wheels above they do come in 8.5j and 8.0j presumably the latter would work?

BEFORE you get too excited MAKE SURE to check the 'ET' of the wheel especially at the rear or wheel arch fouling will occur; there ain't that much clearance - as AUDI didn't want to change the tooling for the shell at the rear, tsk...

Lots of posted data on this for the 8P car so we don't want to start posting it all again so just be careful and CHECK the 'ET': here's a diagram showing measuremants and 'ET' for the 8P RS3's 8J rim:

ET80_zps6e1d6aae.jpg

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
The above OZ wheels state ETA as 35-55 does that mean they would be adjustable to achieve the 50 above?

The above OZ wheels state ETA as 35-55 does that mean they would be adjustable to achieve the 50 above?

It means they will make them at any ET in that range - you would have to order them at a fixed ET, they will not be adjustable.

Also - we don't know what the 8V ET is yet. It might be 50 like the 8P, but who knows!
Someone needs to go look at a demo one!

Reactions: 45bvtc
hard enough to get a dealer to reliably tell you how many wheels the car has got, let alone the proper size. If you ask him the ET he'll probably say 19"

Reactions: 45bvtc and josedebardi
hard enough to get a dealer to reliably tell you how many wheels the car has got, let alone the proper size. If you ask him the ET he'll probably say 19"

That's soooo funny, Yorrick; and is why I made the drawing(s) to explain to others... :readit:

I generally stay away from Audi / any Dealer front-men...

Reactions: Yorrick

Maybe yes and/or maybe no, but it could mean anything they want it to mean; but for for my car, whatever car that might be, I'd be making damn sure whatever they thought it was before I added a set of suitable rubber and bolted 'em to my car - and then I'd make sure I'd be telling them 'nice' Insurance people I'd 'modified' my car.

Go Normanthedog us 8P RS3 guys have done ALL of this before so best go back and read ALL of the posts starting in October 2011; been there and done that already...

Enjoy the car...

With cars that have the wider front wheels they are ET53 and the rears are ET49 for anyone who is interested.

That ET49 is interesting as it could mean no kissing at the rear - DO NOT go there... :rulez:

SANDRA! I didnt mean nothing by it; you know me...:whip: I'm way too old... :friendly wink:

Last edited:
Might just order the Black Rotors for an extra £400 and get the wider wheels thrown in for free then!

Wouldn't a smaller ET number mean that the wheel sticks out further from the car - resulting in a wider rear track? That would mean more kissing of the arch wouldn't it? Apologies in advance if I'm reading your drawing upside-down of have misunderstood something.

Correct, Yorrick: I think Audi have 'tuned' the 'ET', offset, whatever, so as to fit 235/35's front and rear and that makes a load of sense; and is why, most probably, they've gone for a Pirelli also... :blush:

And don't read it upside down, it is what it is for them that doesn't understand 'ET', offset, and there was a lot of them 3-years ago hence the drawing...

Reactions: DAYTONA 500 and Yorrick
A 19" smelly finger?

Reactions: 45bvtc
Has anyone with a Mk1 ever tried the Pirellis? If they were as crap as the infamous Contis then maybe the Mk2 handling will be improved with MPSSs?

Not to my own knowledge, Yorrick; the move generally was to either Goodyear F1 or in the main MPSS.

Personally, I had no issues with the Continental's, though I do know others that have: I've no issues on either the MPSS for summer use and/or the Vredestein's for winter use: I just love this RS3 in snow:

BLUEYSNOWRS3749_zps1aab39e0.jpg

Can't wait to see the Pirelli feed back but I'll be holding my opinions to myself for the time being.

I may go and give an 8V RS3 some due diligence later this week, or next; see if the change in me pockets is still a' jangling

Reactions: Yorrick
With cars that have the wider front wheels they are ET53 and the rears are ET49 for anyone who is interested.
Hey Normanthedog, I just wondered where you gained thus gem from? This is for the 8v RS3?

I've been trying to find out the ET - before I buy new wheels, but haven't been able to. cheers