RS3 8Y General Discussion Thread.

I have flat bottom wheel with lane assist. Works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the flat bottom wheel with Assisted Suicide. (And that’s not an autocorrect issue)

• Haha
Reactions: Snake Pliskin and 8YARWY
Tried to kill us again yesterday. No white lines in the middle of the road but with some hatched on the left, it tried to put us in the ditch. I made a stop prior and forgot to turn off. Big mistake.

• Wow
Reactions: Snake Pliskin and 8YARWY
Tried to kill us again yesterday. No white lines in the middle of the road but with some hatched on the left, it tried to put us in the ditch. I made a stop prior and forgot to turn off. Big mistake.

Turning it off aside, you can adjust the settings in the mmi.

if it’s set to early it should try to correct the steering gradually, if it’s set to late it won’t do anything until you cross a line and then interact more noticeably. Obvious the faster you are travelling the more noticeable the system inputs will be.

Reactions: kayemill and Add_Profile

if it’s set to early it should try to correct the steering gradually, if it’s set to late it won’t do anything until you cross a line and then interact more noticeably. Obvious the faster you are travelling the more noticeable the system inputs will be.

You can also turn off wheel vibration.

Luckily not encountered how drastic this is, after the early comments I made sure to set it to remember off via vcds on the day it was delivered!!

Reactions: Terminator x

Will have a look at the settings thanks. For times when I forget to disable it.

Will have a look at the settings thanks. For times when I forget to disable it.

Just read an article saying Audi had removed the option to adjust the sensitivity settings from MY22 cars in various models so it may not be there !!!

The general consensus seemed to be system was great for motorway driving especially when in conjunction with ACC but wasn’t really suited to winding or bendy roads.

Just checked the info button on mine and it says system is designed for motorways and major roads which is a bit more specific than the manual:sadlike:

Last edited:
Reactions: kayemill
I have flat bottom wheel with lane assist. Works fine.

And adaptive cruise as well?

I asked Thomas from Autogufuel about the car in their latest RS3 video - it was flat bottom green alcantara and it worked with both he said.

I am wondering if the flat bottom wheel that comes with the 8Y does indeed have the sensors for capacitive control but due to some regulation Audi are not providing it with factory orders with the assistance package.

The only way to know would be for someone with a flat bottom wheel to open it up and compare it to @billymc92 steering wheel photos… Because then it would be a lot easier to retrofit. Just buy the flat bottom wheel (although anyone with the round wheel would also need a new airbag as that is a different shape).

Reactions: billymc92

I asked Thomas from Autogufuel about the car in their latest RS3 video - it was flat bottom green alcantara and it worked with both he said.

I am wondering if the flat bottom wheel that comes with the 8Y does indeed have the sensors for capacitive control but due to some regulation Audi are not providing it with factory orders with the assistance package.

The only way to know would be for someone with a flat bottom wheel to open it up and compare it to @billymc92 steering wheel photos… Because then it would be a lot easier to retrofit. Just buy the flat bottom wheel (although anyone with the round wheel would also need a new airbag as that is a different shape).
I think I have if what you mean is a flat bottomed steering wheel with active cruise control and lane keep assist (not the thing that controls the steering wheel while you’re in cruise control, which is a shame, was it even an option on the RS3 ?)

have we seen any pics of your new car then ?

Yes Adaptive cruise also.

I think I have if what you mean is a flat bottomed steering wheel with active cruise control and lane keep assist (not the thing that controls the steering wheel while you’re in cruise control, which is a shame, was it even an option on the RS3 ?)
The lane keep assist is the system that keeps you in the lane while driving whether you're using cruise or not and is what appears to push the round steering wheel. The lane departure warning is likely what you have that gives a warning and vibrates the wheel but won't actively keep you in lane and means you can have the flat bottomed steering wheel.

All that is based on what I can gather from previous posts and Facebook groups.

The lane keep assist is the system that keeps you in the lane while driving whether you're using cruise or not and is what appears to push the round steering wheel. The lane departure warning is likely what you have that gives a warning and vibrates the wheel but won't actively keep you in lane and means you can have the flat bottomed steering wheel.

No no, I’m well aware of what I have, here you go so you won’t have any doubt, maybe I have a problem with my car that it won’t steer itself when in cruise control when but I have lane keep assist (I know how to use it we have it in our RSQ8), and if that’s the case I need to make another trip to the dealer… I just assumed it’s not a feature on the RS3.

Attachments

• 54B67980-CC2E-43F2-B1F5-3E4B5510BD01.jpeg
    54B67980-CC2E-43F2-B1F5-3E4B5510BD01.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 116
Reactions: Daggerit

Audi seem to want to make it petty difficult to work / understand out exactly what each system does. Not sure if this a marketing ploy but systems with the same names do slightly different things in different models and can also do different things depending on what other systems are fitted to the car.

Based on what I’ve read lane departure is usually just gives warnings as abo r however if you’ve also got side assist and you signal to change lanes, it will intervene by correcting if it judges the situation to be dangerous

Audi seem to want to make it petty difficult to work / understand out exactly what each system does. Not sure if this a marketing ploy but systems with the same names do slightly different things in different models and can also do different things depending on what other systems are fitted to the car.

Based on what I’ve read lane departure is usually just gives warnings as abo r however if you’ve also got side assist and you signal to change lanes, it will intervene by correcting if it judges the situation to be dangerous
That's what I was trying to get at with my previous post. The button is still there on the stalk for either system but they work differently in the background.

No no, I’m well aware of what I have, here you go so you won’t have any doubt, maybe I have a problem with my car that it won’t steer itself when in cruise control when but I have lane keep assist (I know how to use it we have it in our RSQ8), and if that’s the case I need to make another trip to the dealer… I just assumed it’s not a feature on the RS3.
Maybe go into the MMI and see what options it gives you in the assistance menu. I'm pretty sure the full lane assist will give you an early/middle/late intervention option but the lane departure warning doesn't, although that could be wrong. They both have the same button on the stalk too I believe...

Maybe go into the MMI and see what options it gives you in the assistance menu. I'm pretty sure the full lane assist will give you an early/middle/late intervention option but the lane departure warning doesn't, although that could be wrong. They both have the same button on the stalk too I believe...
You are correct, but I don’t think the shape has something to do with it as the RSQ8 has a flat bottom steering wheel as well although it’s a different shape, maybe it’s something specific about the RS3 steering wheels idk it’s really weird and confusing Audi has to make it clearer, like 1 flat button steering wheel supports and the other doesn’t ? I don’t get it

You are correct, but I don’t think the shape has something to do with it as the RSQ8 has a flat bottom steering wheel as well although it’s a different shape, maybe it’s something specific about the RS3 steering wheels idk it’s really weird and confusing Audi has to make it clearer, like 1 flat button steering wheel supports and the other doesn’t ? I don’t get it
If it's anything like has been discussed before, it's because they weren't able / haven't bothered to add the new sensor tech into the flat bottomed ones for this generation of cars. I believe that the RSQ8 has the older sensor versions (but could be wrong) that require movement or resistance on the wheel versus the new capacitance ones that only require you to be touching it. Again, all just info I've picked up along the way so could be wrong but it's what I can piece together.

Reactions: RS03???, Frizzley, shahaf2911 and 1 other person
I have a theory that the NEW flat steering wheels do have the sensors. It has just been turned off in software due to regulations that mean they have to fit a round wheel if you want the assistance pack.

I would love someone with a flat-bottom wheel to open it up and see if there are the same sensors as the round wheel.

I have a theory that the NEW flat steering wheels do have the sensors. It has just been turned off in software due to regulations that mean they have to fit a round wheel if you want the assistance pack.

I would love someone with a flat-bottom wheel to open it up and see if there are the same sensors as the round wheel.
If your theory is correct and that’s the only thing that’s missing for it to work then it might be possible to code it and make it work!
I don’t mind doing it thou I have no idea how to disassemble a steering wheel airbag lol

That would be good so it would be a straight swap.

If your theory is correct and that’s the only thing that’s missing for it to work then it might be possible to code it and make it work!
I don’t mind doing it thou I have no idea how to disassemble a steering wheel airbag lol

I do not know, however as @billymc92 has changed the wheel he may be able to advise what to look for. Or maybe you can go to a local garage and ask them to remove the cover; I don’t think you need to remove the whole airbag as the photo billy shared showed the sensor box at the bottom of the wheel.

Would be a good day out I suppose but I declined haha
Screenshot 20220516 164321 Instagram

Reactions: kayemill and Terminator x
I do not know, however as @billymc92 has changed the wheel he may be able to advise what to look for. Or maybe you can go to a local garage and ask them to remove the cover; I don’t think you need to remove the whole airbag as the photo billy shared showed the sensor box at the bottom of the wheel.
Having too much time on my hands today with the constant rain I’ve found a couple of articles giving a bit more detail this.

The actual sensor is a pad is underneath the outer layer of foam in the steering wheel rim. A separate control unit integrated into the steering wheel continuously assesses that contact and recognizes if the driver is ready to engage with traffic. The steering wheel cannot go longer than 15 seconds without being touched.

The sensor itself looks similar to this and according to the manufacturers website it can be incorporated into any existing steering wheel
C73CF04A BFD6 4911 9F82 90FE0BA9881C

Reactions: RS03??? and Keano04
Having too much time on my hands today with the constant rain I’ve found a couple of articles giving a bit more detail this.

The actual sensor is a pad is underneath the outer layer of foam in the steering wheel rim. A separate control unit integrated into the steering wheel continuously assesses that contact and recognizes if the driver is ready to engage with traffic. The steering wheel cannot go longer than 15 seconds without being touched.

The sensor itself looks similar to this and according to the manufacturers website it can be incorporated into any existing steering wheel View attachment 254398

Nice detective work! So, shocker, it’s just Audi speaking *****.

I've noticed while in traffic and the car is in start/stop mode that it can detect when the car in front starts to move off and it automatically restarts the engine. Carbon edition with ACC inactive, so not related to that feature.

Reactions: 3vans, Terminator x and Mike.46
I've noticed while in traffic and the car is in start/stop mode that it can detect when the car in front starts to move off and it automatically restarts the engine. Carbon edition with ACC inactive, so not related to that feature.
Yes I picked up on that a while back, car engine restarts as car in front moves away, is it done by the Camera in the rear view mirror area or the radar for the adaptive cruise?

The sensor itself looks similar to this and according to the manufacturers website it can be incorporated into any existing steering wheel View attachment 254398

That is an interesting find! I think the question here was does the flat bottom wheel have the sensors and the way to know is the control box as you described it at the bottom of the wheel.

That is what I am looking for on a flat bottom wheel - the control box - as that indicates it has the sensors.

Which is why someone needs to remove the airbag cover (and possibly the airbag) to check for it. As if it is there then for someone with a round wheel we can just order an RS3 flat wheel.

If it doesn't have the sensors and control box then that is different and will require either a swap like Billy did or just getting the round wheel re-trimmed.

That is an interesting find! I think the question here was does the flat bottom wheel have the sensors and the way to know is the control box as you described it at the bottom of the wheel.

That is what I am looking for on a flat bottom wheel - the control box - as that indicates it has the sensors.

Which is why someone needs to remove the airbag cover (and possibly the airbag) to check for it. As if it is there then for someone with a round wheel we can just order an RS3 flat wheel.

If it doesn't have the sensors and control box then that is different and will require either a swap like Billy did or just getting the round wheel re-trimmed.
I wonder, if the steering wheel has the sensor would it be possible to activate/code the active lane keep assists (the one that steers for you while in cruise control) to work ? As it’s the only thing missing for the system to work

Yes it’s quite good - you may notice it can pick up the car in front of the car in front of you so it’s running just before you actually need to pull away. Clever stuff.

Whole panel.

Pugeot RCZ Asphalt Ed was the first mainstream car l saw with a matte Grey metallic paint back in 2011 anyways l do like BMWs Frozen silver but l wouldn't pay £5000 for it.....

Reactions: 8YARWY
Reactions: 5pot and RS03???
I have decided to get my round wheel retrimmed to Alcantara. I’m hoping to take it in next week and they will give me a “loaner” RS flat-bottom wheel for the week or so it takes to re-trim it.

Obviously, I won’t have an airbag as my car airbag is a different shape - and I’m also wondering how many warnings I am likely to get as a result of a non-connected airbag.

Any thoughts? Do we think that it might cause other systems to stop working?

Reactions: Mastachaz
I have decided to get my round wheel retrimmed to Alcantara. I’m hoping to take it in next week and they will give me a “loaner” RS flat-bottom wheel for the week or so it takes to re-trim it.

Obviously, I won’t have an airbag as my car airbag is a different shape - and I’m also wondering how many warnings I am likely to get as a result of a non-connected airbag.

Any thoughts? Do we think that it might cause other systems to stop working?
Alcantara....Nice to look at but don't touch

Reactions: 3vans, Mike.46, 8YARWY and 1 other person
Alcantara....Nice to look at but don't touch
Agreed ... can't say i miss the part alcantara wheel from my last RS3 or full alantara / micro-fibre from my A45.
PITA the keep looking smart - feels nice in winter though lol

Reactions: Jassyo06 and 8YARWY