RS3 8Y General Discussion Thread.

Hello, Aaron here from CarbonFabrik.

I didnt read all of your Posts here, but i found out that some are concerned regarding wether or not it is the right weave. As some pointed out, the EU Model is LHD, thus the center console is orientated right of the steering wheel. Normally OEMs like to produce carbon parts on the right side of the driver as "right-running", meaning, the visible line (in germans its "Köpergrat" (Twill ridge/burr)) is orientated to the right. Everything that is on the left side of the driver will be orientated left.

Since the consoles I did until now have all been LHD consoles, the weave always was running to the right side. In Order to adapt to the RHD-spec Carbon parts I just need to flip the fiber once and turn it 90° to have it on the same way like RHD OEM has it.

The weave, satin (atlas) 1/4 is identical to OEM. The weight of the fabric (specifing how dense the weave is -> Higher number "rough" -> Lower Number "fine") is identical to OEM. I didnt have an RS3 8Y in my Shop yet, so I had no oppurtunity to measure it, but I know how long the quattro Emblems are (approx 70mm), if you count the threads per distance you will find the missing number to specify the weave (Threads per cm/inch/whatever measure you want to use).

Attached is a picture of the current version. The clear coat has been furhter adapted to the gloss grade of OEM. Audi is specifing it as "matte", but its more like a shiny satin matte. Took me quite a few samples.

I hope all questions are answerd, if you have any further dont hesitate to contact me at info@carbonfabrik.com

Btw: I will be producing some RHD consoles in July, they will probably be in stock by the end of July. Preorders will be served first.

You guys ship to the United States correct?

We can ship to US yes.

Price is 268€ Netto inlcuding the raw part (new OEM part from Audi) which the laminate is applied to. +Shipping

Reactions: Economist
I ordered 2 months before you and my build week has now jumped back 3 months to the first week in March 23 and could be pushed back even further
that is absolutely shocking mate.
No excuse for a delay of that magnitude.

Reactions: Jassyo06
that is absolutely shocking mate.
No excuse for a delay of that magnitude.
It is what it is mate and at least I aint getting in the middle of the winter a lot of folks builds will get pushed into 2023 honestly l think the UK market being smaller gets pushed aside by Audi for larger markets like Europe and North American .....

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
You might be lucky and get a facelift model
I didn’t think they’d facelift yet the 8Y is only what 2 years into it’s life cycle right? But then again with the way everything is going I don’t know what to expect anymore
I ordered 2 months before you and my build week has now jumped back 3 months to the first week in March 23 and could be pushed back even further
That’s shocking mate, I just have the feeling that those of us in this situation will get told of a further delay down the road

Anyone noticed than when you cold start the car the Red Line on the Revs covers 5,6,7 & 8 then goes to 6,7&8 then to cover just 7 & 8. What's the purpose? Does it actually limit the revs till it heats up?

I've never got round to trying it.

Anyone noticed than when you cold start the car the Red Line on the Revs covers 5,6,7 & 8 then goes to 6,7&8 then to cover just 7 & 8. What's the purpose? Does it actually limit the revs till it heats up?

Adjusts according to temp of engine.

So as it heats up the red section moves up

So it moves the limit accordingly.

On my old FL 8V I could set it at anything I liked and have it so it was slowly moving upwards the Warmer the engine got which looked pretty good.

712bae679940f7dfd65429d5216aad72.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay 1234, Terminator x, RS03??? and 2 others

It's an enforced warm up procedure, the revs are physically limited, I tested it once by mistake when on the lowest limit.

Reactions: kayemill

On my old FL 8V I could set it at anything I liked and have it so it was slowly moving upwards the Warmer the engine got which looked pretty good.

how do we access that screen (big rev counter) on our 8y's mate ?
is it a hidden bonus level ;)

It is what it is mate and at least I aint getting in the middle of the winter a lot of folks builds will get pushed into 2023 honestly l think the UK market being smaller gets pushed aside by Audi for larger markets like Europe and North American .....
Well I feel for you and you've definitely got more patience than me.
I think I would have been eyeing up a Golf R or BMW M240i by now.
But then I could regret buying either lol so your patient waiting game is probably the smartest :icon thumright:

Reactions: Jassyo06

Bring back that central dial !!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mike.46, Snake Pliskin and Jassyo06
Well I feel for you and you've definitely got more patience than me.
I think I would have been eyeing up a Golf R or BMW M240i by now.
But then I could regret buying either lol so your patient waiting game is probably the smartest :icon thumright:
Waiting game for any of the 2 you mentioned mate l like the golf R a lot aesthetically but after the carry on my work colleague has had to go through with his MK8 Gti no chance...its had more updates than most mobile phones do lol The more l think about extra 3 months wait the more l think it'll suit me waited this long and l know l have chosen the right colour that'll suit the the 8Y saloon shape

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike.46 and Snake Pliskin
Bring back that central dial !!

TX.

Yup There was no need for Audi to change it...but they did just for the sake of change....Change ain't always for the best in this case that and the Zippo gear selector

Reactions: RS03???, Terminator x, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
Waiting game for any of the 2 you mentioned mate l like the golf R a lot aesthetically but after the carry on my work colleague has had to go through with his MK8 Gti no chance...its had more updates than most mobile phones do lol The more l think about extra 3 months wait the more l think it'll suit me waited this long and l know l have chosen the right colour that'll suit the the 8Y saloon shape
The Mk8 Golf software fiasco is one reason I am here, luckily my RS3 seems a lot better in that department

Some of the stuff on VWROC mk8 under 'Gremlins' is scary

And that 'zipper' gear changer is a step backwards, I used to use the gear change in manual mode if the wheel was a little crossed up around roundabouts etc

It's an enforced warm up procedure, the revs are physically limited, I tested it once by mistake when on the lowest limit.
I accidentally tested in when a local decided to show me how much quicker is Tesla 3 is, and he dissapeared into the distance while mine decided to cut the engine power for about 3 seconds

Another plus point for going electric, as well as the free tax/no servicing/ and about £2500 cheaper on fuel

The RS3 lump takes such a long time to get to operating temperature compared to the Golf R engine

I accidentally tested in when a local decided to show me how much quicker is Tesla 3 is, and he dissapeared into the distance while mine decided to cut the engine power for about 3 seconds

Another plus point for going electric, as well as the free tax/no servicing/ and about £2500 cheaper on fuel

The RS3 lump takes such a long time to get to operating temperature compared to the Golf R engine

Although if they do this…..

0eedf6071bc996a0995cc22128d2e95c.png

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Freeze, Jassyo06 and Mike.46

I've got a Model 3 coming in September and the RS3 in November so I'll let you know the reality :)

Mine's a Long Range which is 0-62 in 4.2 I think so I can't see that being quicker but a Performance is something stupid like 0-62 in 3.2.

I've got a Model 3 coming in September and the RS3 in November so I'll let you know the reality :)

Mine's a Long Range which is 0-62 in 4.2 I think so I can't see that being quicker but a Performance is something stupid like 0-62 in 3.2.
I took a model3 Performance out whilst waiting for my RS3 :)

I dont think the acceleration figures tell a true story,
Massively quick from a standstill and for 'getting past the 42mph brigade'
But I did notice the performance tailed off if you kept using it hard (not that you can do that these days) I suspect more battery management than anything else as a short spell in cruise mode and it reverted back to to 'as quick as you lik'e :)

If not slightly noddy looking!

I bought one as the tax breaks mean it's not worth not doing.

One thing I'm staggered by - absolutely everything is electronic but no HUD! If every there was a car crying out for HUD.

Lol what about after his 10 mins of battery warming?

TX.

As all Korean car makers do copy the west.....it has the old Merc CLS.....back 3/4 design apart from that it's a hot mess with all that Led Rubic Cube exterior design lighting

Reactions: Mr Freeze
Lol what about after his 10 mins of battery warming?

TX.
I think that applies to Ludicrous mode on the Model S, never noticed anything like that on Model 3 Performance, they're pretty mind blowing tbh and can only imagine what they will be like in a couple of years time

I'd rather spend 5k on that the ceramics
Also so unnecessary its a A3 ....not a track car and l can see Audi deleting this option soon like they done with the 8v FL and the TTRS a expensive option that won't pull much money back at all residually

Also so unnecessary its a A3 ....not a track car and l can see Audi deleting this option soon like they done with the 8v FL and the TTRS a expensive option that won't pull much money back at all residually
Don't know many A3's that can do 180 mph from factory though so in that regard it's a silly comparison. I know it's just an A3 with a lot of power, I'm not trying to put it on a pedestal or anything, but at those potential speeds I don't see them as unnecessary at all. Will we do that speed in the UK legally? Nope. Does that mean the car should have smaller brakes as a result though? Also nope.

At least a quarter of the cars I've seen people posting pictures of have had ceramics on it so there's been a seemingly large uptake compared to previously so I don't imagine they'll pull them this time unless it's a supply issue.

Reactions: rngDeadeye
Also why did they never release those gorgeous seats that they had on the PFL 8V pre launch when Audi were driving them around?!

TX.

afc38e6ca10751752f5f1ffcfd9c8d70.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: garethdj, Jassyo06 and kayemill
Don't know many A3's that can do 180 mph from factory though so in that regard it's a silly comparison. I know it's just an A3 with a lot of power, I'm not trying to put it on a pedestal or anything, but at those potential speeds I don't see them as unnecessary at all. Will we do that speed in the UK legally? Nope. Does that mean the car should have smaller brakes as a result though? Also nope.

At least a quarter of the cars I've seen people posting pictures of have had ceramics on it so there's been a seemingly large uptake compared to previously so I don't imagine they'll pull them this time unless it's a supply issue.
Most have seen on Autotrader have been ordered ntentionally to sell on not be owned by the ordering customer plain to see ....go and try and drive a RS3 8Y at 180 mph and you'll soon feel the front lift and float off ....plus you'll recouped very little back on them and they will delete them .....audi added an extra 4 mph over the standard cars speed....for £4500 bargain not

Most have seen on Autotrader have been ordered ntentionally to sell on not be owned by the ordering customer plain to see ....go and try and drive a RS3 8Y at 180 mph and you'll soon feel the front lift and float off ....plus you'll recouped very little back on them and they will delete them .....audi added an extra 4 mph over the standard cars speed....for £4500 bargain not
Not sure where you're getting the light front end from, I've watched quite a few 280+ kmh Autobahn runs and they generally just comment on how planted it feels. Cornering at 270-280 kmh seems fairly convincing that the front end doesn't just 'float off'.

I totally agree that in normal driving I'll never get the benefit of them, but on the off chance I take it on the track or on a high speed run I'd definitely want to know that they're there. Might as well take them off all the Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, etc. that they're fitted too as well while we're at it.

Plus you’ll need all the help you can get to keep up with me. @Daggerit

I’ve said a few times it’s an A3 with a fancy engine but having driven my 8P hard and my RSQ3 with steels they soon fade. The benefits of CCB being no brake dust plus no fade makes them a brilliant option for anyone who likes the occasional back road blast. I’d like to see the numbers of those with and without.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Daggerit
Plus you’ll need all the help you can get to keep up with me. @Daggerit

I’ve said a few times it’s an A3 with a fancy engine but having driven my 8P hard and my RSQ3 with steels they soon fade. The benefits of CCB being no brake dust plus no fade makes them a brilliant option for anyone who likes the occasional back road blast. I’d like to see the numbers of those with and without.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Don't think I'll be keeping up with the 911 when it arrives, but I'll give it a try! Haha.