RS3 8Y General Discussion Thread.

HulkRS3

Kyalami RS3 Saloon
Reaction score
As title suggests - stops clogging up other users threads dedicated to certain topics.

Reactions: Detail Devil, Snake Pliskin, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
This is a joke right? Did the gestapo take over, do you really expect to control a thread based on the title?

I'm done, this site sucks.

Reactions: FBF01 and Mastachaz
Let's just get somethings straight here right now.
1) This thread was started by @S15THM , his choice , no one forced him to do it, and credit to him for taking a step forward to address other issues that affect other specific threads.
2) The control of this thread and all threads on ASN are controlled by moderators and Admin full stop, if members played the game then why should there be any problem.
members are not forced to join, if you have issues with specific points then contact us and we'll address things.
The site is not run by anyone as suggested in your reply.
If you feel unhappy with the site or are being unfairly treated then that is entirely your decision.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Detail Devil and Audi Bairn
This is a joke right? Did the gestapo take over, do you really expect to control a thread based on the title?

I'm done, this site sucks.

No I done it off my own back bud, it can be distracting when you create a thread dedicated to a particular topic and it gets 'hijacked' by talk of lots of other things. This thread gives us a place to discuss anything 8Y related.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Detail Devil, Audi Bairn and 3 others
Snapped a few pics tonight :cool:

Attachments

• 6389A64B-B463-4981-A41B-9929F86E86AE.jpeg
    6389A64B-B463-4981-A41B-9929F86E86AE.jpeg
    427.4 KB · Views: 375
  • 776D4AF7-7DAA-41B8-9AB4-33C40FA03113.jpeg
    776D4AF7-7DAA-41B8-9AB4-33C40FA03113.jpeg
    277.2 KB · Views: 351
  • 1DD22CC9-7F3C-41CA-AD98-688D1BB4A8BE.jpeg
    1DD22CC9-7F3C-41CA-AD98-688D1BB4A8BE.jpeg
    504.5 KB · Views: 371
Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv, ZB1 and 13 others
The problem with general threads like this is they become a dumping ground... i.e. People post questions etc in them rather than starting a new thread or posting in existing ones, and then it's a nightmare to search for or browse for specific info/topics. This thread isn't even a day old and there's already photos of an RS3 posted in it even though there's a specific 'RS3 photos' thread.

Basically, it was created to stop other threads getting clogged with stuff that shouldn't be in them but is getting clogged itself with stuff that shouldn't be in it.

It'll just become the new 'Tracking our new RS3' thread, which is pretty much general chit-chat.

Nice spec just gone up for sale near me, still up for well over list but nice to see it not being a crazy crazy price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got this a couple of weeks ago,
Apparently it’s a system glitch and it doesn’t start build for another 3 weeks,
EEEBE258 72FD 4DF9 B67C 1523523365B5

I had an update from my dealership today saying that cars are not being built until roughly +5/6 weeks after the confirmed build date.

• Sad
Reactions: Alexlfc17
The problem with general threads like this is they become a dumping ground... i.e. People post questions etc in them rather than starting a new thread or posting in existing ones, and then it's a nightmare to search for or browse for specific info/topics. This thread isn't even a day old and there's already photos of an RS3 posted in it even though there's a specific 'RS3 photos' thread.

Basically, it was created to stop other threads getting clogged with stuff that shouldn't be in them but is getting clogged itself with stuff that shouldn't be in it.

It'll just become the new 'Tracking our new RS3' thread, which is pretty much general chit-chat.
I can say right now that it will not become " It'll just become the new 'Tracking our new RS3' thread, which is pretty much general chit-chat."

I've spent a lot of time going over masses of threads and posts in all sections and by far the worse culprits at the moment are the 8Y forum, yes some light banter or similar is fine within a thread, we all do it, it's what makes a good forum that little bit more interesting, but not to excess and that applies to this thread as well.

If it starts getting way off-topic or comments get out of order then it will be dealt with accordingly, along with members too.

ASN is run by members with a genuine interest and passion for all things Audi, we are not on a mission to shoot down every thread or post that may not be to other members or individuals liking.
How threads and posts are used and members reply on site is open to viewing globally and across all media sources, if members want to give ASN a less than ideal reputation then just carry on with the quality of some replies that have been posted so far in numerous threads for some time.
The actions of the minority will just drive away more existing members and their contributions and discourage new members joining.
I for one will not sit by and let that happen, like it not things need to be addressed and will be.

Call me what you like , I'm very thick-skinned these days so it won't have much effect but I'm a member at the end of the day and have just as much reason to be on the forum as anyone else, just because I wear the Moderator hat doesn't mean I'm detached from normal forum life.
I love the site and I'm happy to pay an annual subscription to assist with the running of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: elpeterol, Frizzley, RS03??? and 4 others
Nice spec just gone up for sale near me, still up for well over list but nice to see it not being a crazy crazy price

Black styling pack but silver badges? Is it a vorsprung?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Black styling pack but silver badges? Is it a vorsprung?

TX.

I think it’s a frankstein that’s had a dechrome and wheels powder coated

Reactions: mb127
Tested positive for covid this morning… dealer rings this afternoon to say their demo is registered for test drives.

FML

• Sad
Reactions: HereWeGo, RS03???, Terminator x and 2 others
I've got a basic question:
In all my last cars the air con had its specific on/off button.
In the 8Y it looks like I have AC or ECO on the toggle switch - is eco effectively aircon off and just blower ?

I also used to set the blower to screen and vents, but it looks like this is not an option again from the toggle only menu.
Am I right in thinking you can select screen or vents only ?

In the 8Y it looks like I have AC or ECO on the toggle switch - is eco effectively aircon off and just blower ?

I also used to set the blower to screen and vents, but it looks like this is not an option again from the toggle only menu.
In my B9 S4 you had to toggle through the air output options to get it where you wanted if I remember rightly.

Not sure about the AC though. Again in my S4 it used to have off/auto/eco I believe. I couldn't tell you what the eco option did specifically, but it did switch to this when the driving mode was changed to efficiency and I genuinely noticed an increase in mpg on the motorway when driving at a constant speed.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin

D1E1400E B5C5 4617 9049 1F7A59EDED7F

Toggle a/c to off and use blower speed switch
45F1E2B7 563B 402F B321 28C0F02F3084

Reactions: Jcbmally and Snake Pliskin
Ah right thanks @5pot & @Daggerit

So air con off but activate blower = airflow but not air con ... obvious when you think about it :tearsofjoy:

I was puzzled how to change the sound settings (tone / base etc) as the only cog I could see took me into a n/a menu.
Then by chance I noticed the other cog when you hit the volume button & hey presto :)

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan and Daggerit
A question for current owners @Alexlfc17 @billymc92 or anyone else who may know:

When you are in "individual" mode or "RS" mode - does the screen default to Runway, with no way of changing to the "lambo / tradition RS" display.

At the moment I can change the view in normal mode but it appears to default to runway in individual and RS mode.

Appreciate if you could could advise please :icon thumright:

A question for current owners @Alexlfc17 @billymc92 or anyone else who may know:

When you are in "individual" mode or "RS" mode - does the screen default to Runway, with no way of changing to the "lambo / tradition RS" display.

At the moment I can change the view in normal mode but it appears to default to runway in individual and RS mode.

It’s in the display options for the runway if you go into it’s settings in the MMI. There’s a little slider/button that says to use it if you’re in RS mode, I imagine if you deselect it then it’ll stay on whatever view you’re already in.

Reactions: Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin, Alexlfc17 and 1 other person

Yeah so it defaults to the runway but as above I think it’s in settings you can choose out of the 3 styles which you’d like, pretty sure it works on the RS modes….. How’s the car mate?

Reactions: Jcbmally, Terminator x, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
It’s in the display options for the runway if you go into it’s settings in the MMI. There’s a little slider/button that says to use it if you’re in RS mode, I imagine if you deselect it then it’ll stay on whatever view you’re already in.

Yeah so it defaults to the runway but as above I think it’s in settings you can choose out of the 3 styles which you’d like, pretty sure it works on the RS modes….. How’s the car mate?

Ah right cheers thanks - once you "know" its straight forward of course, but there is a myriad of settings and menus to work through isn't there :)
I will try locating the slider button and deselect then.

Absolutely delighted with it and can't stop looking at it ha ha !
Many people commented that previous gen RS3's were understated - I think Audi have struck a great balance with the 8y.
From any angle, it looks like a freekin Touring Car - very mean, angry and aggressive.
Whilst I agree the interior is very 'black' and without a doubt having the contrast stitching on the seats, steering wheel & door cards in grey / red / green would have made the car perfection for me, I can live without these as I love the honeycomb pattern on the seats - proper RS that is.
The seats also feel really premium thick leather with just the right amount of padding.
Loving my FLAT BOTTOM steering wheel ;)
B&O needs some tweaking but I will play around with that at the weekend.
One niggle is the heater controls not being lit (the rocker switch) but that is well known on the 8y now isn't it.
Handling is superb - I've got the standard suspension and its set just right - very impressed.
SOUND is exactly as I hoped. Whilst not 8v levels, boy is it there when you want it.
I had nothing from the Merc at idle or up to 3,500 rpm so driving round town it was like a 1.0 litre Fiesta.
At idle in RS mode, it sounds great and the minute you put your foot down, the sound is there - so you can enjoy this car even at low speeds, same as my last RS3.

Reactions: kirkyrs, Jcbmally, RS3ree and 10 others
Ah right cheers thanks - once you "know" its straight forward of course, but there is a myriad of settings and menus to work through isn't there :)
I will try locating the slider button and deselect then.

Absolutely delighted with it and can't stop looking at it ha ha !
Many people commented that previous gen RS3's were understated - I think Audi have struck a great balance with the 8y.
From any angle, it looks like a freekin Touring Car - very mean, angry and aggressive.
Whilst I agree the interior is very 'black' and without a doubt having the contrast stitching on the seats, steering wheels & door cards in grey / red / green would have made the car perfection for me, I can live without these as I love the honeycomb pattern on the seats - proper RS that is.
The seats also feel really premium thick leather with just the right amount of padding.
Loving my ROUND steering wheel ;)
B&O needs some tweaking but I will play around with that at the weekend.
One niggle is the heather controls not being lit (the rocker switch) but that is well known on the 8y now isn't it.
Handling is superb - I've got the standard suspension and its set just right - very impressed.
SOUND is exactly as I hoped. Whilst not 8v levels, boy is it there when you want it.
I had nothing from the Merc at idle or up to 3,500 rpm so driving round town it was like a 1.0 litre Fiesta.
At idle in RS mode, it sounds great and the minute you put your foot down, the sound is there - so you can enjoy this car even at low speeds, same as my last RS3.
Once you become accustomed to the heater controls you don't notice it. I actually forgot they weren't lit until you mentioned it again as I obviously had the 8Y S3. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin and Daggerit
Anybody brave enough to give this protection film a try for the interior? lol

Interior Protection Film

For the sake of £20, might be worth a try to keep the piano black sections looking halfway decent. Even if it’s a cheap film that’s not self healing and you just peel it off and replace once a year, that’s fine at that price to me.

Once you become accustomed to the heater controls you don't notice it. I actually forgot they weren't lit until you mentioned it again as I obviously had the 8Y S3. :D
To be perfectly honest these days I never touch the heater on my Golf, it's just set to 'Auto', I can almost see what VW are up to with the Golf and lack of any buttons or knobs, a few things like heater and when was the last time you switched lights on or off? but I think a step too far with Golf dash, one of the reasons i'm here :)

Reactions: Jcbmally

Menu
Settings
Display and settings
Audi virtual cockpit

Then under the one you want to always have click “configure”

and select the “automatic activation of RS layout”

Reactions: 5pot, Terminator x, Daggerit and 1 other person
Menu
Settings
Display and settings
Audi virtual cockpit

Then under the one you want to always have click “configure”

and select the “automatic activation of RS layout”

cheers mate ... i de-selected the default runway mode earlier this evening & worked a treat.

I’m not a fan of the runway and prefer the traditional RS display so am enjoying that look now :)

I’m gonna dig a bit deeper into all the menu & layouts this weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcbmally and billymc92
Oh ... the lights are just incredible !!!!

On start up & close down - front & rear - they are just incredible.

Audi are master craftsman at lights :sunglasses:

Reactions: Jcbmally, Detail Devil, garethdj and 3 others
Oh ... the lights are just incredible !!!!

On start up & close down - front & rear - they are just incredible.

Audi are master craftsman at lights :sunglasses:
Yeah the Matrix lights when they activate full beam are awesome. I often wonder what it looks like oncoming to the car and what the people think who are behind it lol

Yeah the Matrix lights when they activate full beam are awesome. I often wonder what it looks like oncoming to the car and what the people think who are behind it lol
Same here. In a bit if fog you can see the blocks of light dancing around to create shadows on the cars it can "see" .

TX.

Just had an update to say my car is in the UK awaiting transport from the port to the dealer! Fingers crossed for delivery next week!

Reactions: Adi7r, 3vans, Jay 1234 and 11 others
Would you be able to take some pictures and post them? I’m sure you will anyway . I popped into my local dealers today as they have a saloon but not in Kemora grey so would love to see the colour in the saloon.

Just had an update to say my car is in the UK awaiting transport from the port to the dealer! Fingers crossed for delivery next week!

Reactions: jacobc673
Would you be able to take some pictures and post them? I’m sure you will anyway . I popped into my local dealers today as they have a saloon but not in Kemora grey so would love to see the colour in the saloon.
20211205 133809

Reactions: Chasriff, Pinky1959, jacobc673 and 3 others
@Snake Pliskin Regarding illuminated controls.
if the controls are anything like my Cupra then once the voice activation has “learned” you will be able to say things like;
Temperature ?? degrees.
Passenger ?? degrees.
Volume up/down.
Heated seat on/off.
And many others too.
I assume it will be the same being VAG, but once my car learned stuff the voice control is good. I quite prefer the voice control as opposed to finger marks too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terminator x
@Snake Pliskin Regarding illuminated controls.
if the controls are anything like my Cupra then once the voice activation has “learned” you will be able to say things like;
Temperature ?? degrees.
Passenger ?? degrees.
Volume up/down.
Heated seat on/off.
And many others too.
I assume it will be the same being VAG, but once my car learned stuff the voice control is good. I quite prefer the voice control as opposed to finger marks too.

ah that worked really well in the Merc.
Going through the settings today I did activate the ‘hey Audi’ so will use the voice controls :icon thumright:

Reactions: Jcbmally