RS3 as a daily driver.... (and insurance for a 21 year old)

DommyR

Reaction score
As per the title is anyone buying an RS3 to be their daily car?

I currently have an S3 which I use to drive to work and the gym everyday (only 10 miles) and that is absolutely brilliant. But then I took an RS3 our for a drive yesterday and absolutely loved it, of course its similar to the S3 but theres something really special about it. I'd recommend everyone try one. Im just wondering if the RS3 is a bit to 'focussed' to be used every day? what are peoples views on that?

Also, im 21 (soon to be 22) years old and a lot of places will not even quote me for insuring it. (my S3 is a struggle tbh) The only place is elephant & admiral and thats around £700 which strangely is cheaper than my S3?!?! Is there any other peeps around that age looking at getting an RS?

Thanks
Dom

Mine will be a daily drive 10 mile commute plus work stuff.

I'd suggest that all Audi's, with the exception of possibly only the R8, can easily be used as everyday cars.
That is the beauty of Audi S and RS: they are sporty versions of practical cars, but not 100% focussed driving machines, because of that they don't compromise on year round usability.

This is a A3 Sportback with bells and whistles, so I don't think anyone should have any problem whatsoever using one as a daily drive.

I noticed that it was quite efficient when I tested it for a few hours. Definitely a good daily if you've got the cash

Reactions: DommyR
mine will be a daily. It's crazy buying a car of this value and not getting the use out of it. If you've got enough money to have one sat in your garage then fair play to you.

Reactions: Allman45, DommyR and chungster
What would the service costs be like for S3 vs RS3?

I've used the 2012 RS3 as a daily drive for work and kids etc for 3 years and put 40k miles on her. It ticks all the boxes for me, especially discretion on client/dodgy sites and relatively OK economy - about 300 miles/tank, plus the ability to out perform idiots on the road. For 10 miles/day, I'm not sure it's worth it though...

Reactions: Allman45
Same here we've had a 2012 RS3 for over 2 years, great car for daily use......
Recently though the missus changed jobs so we couldn't risk leaving it parked up all day in the public car park, just went and bought a TT mk1 so less to worry about there.....
Economy wise 230 miles knocking about
Have seen 320 on longer trips

Running costs will be not be much different between S3 and RS3, the 2.5 5 cyl is quite efficient in regards to how much performance it packs. My car will be used as a daily driver for the same things as you, work and gym!

Consider yourself lucky with that quote! When I was 24 and trying to get insured to a TT RS the quotes were around 3 times as much as what you are getting. Waited another year and when I turned 25 it dropped so I got one

Reactions: DommyR and Caval4r
The 7 speed will outweigh the extra fuel of the 5th pot. Or at least that's how I will justify it lol

Not to put you off but insurance for an RS3 at 21 isnt gonna be pretty. And I assume you're young free and single so is an estate car the right option for you? Im surprised at the above comments on fuel consumption and servicing costs. I assumed on an RS model these would have been considerably more. Then there is the additional cost of buying the thing. Just giving you some things to think about bud.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500 and grchmason
Not to put you off but insurance for an RS3 at 21 isnt gonna be pretty. And I assume you're young free and single so is an estate car the right option for you? Im surprised at the above comments on fuel consumption and servicing costs. I assumed on an RS model these would have been considerably more. Then there is the additional cost of buying the thing. Just giving you some things to think about bud.

Thanks for adding some control to this crazy thread. Nah issuance isn't great and tbh most places decline to quote. Regarding the estate thing, I really like the look of the sportback, so that doesn't have to much of an effect on me.

I'm still chuffed to bits with my s3 so another £10k on that seems ludicrous after I've only had it for 4 months. My mother would not be pleased.

But im sure it will be a different story in 12 months...

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
Fair play to be doing well enough by the age of 21 to afford one (assuming that it's not a leg up from the bank of mum and dad)...

I got my S3 when i was 21 and paid 700 for the insurance, i'm just about to swap to the RS, quotes are around 750

Fair play to be doing well enough by the age of 21 to afford one (assuming that it's not a leg up from the bank of mum and dad)...

Haha! No it's been done the hard way!!

Reactions: Allman45, Bristle Hound, 45bvtc and 3 others
Thanks for adding some control to this crazy thread. Nah issuance isn't great and tbh most places decline to quote. Regarding the estate thing, I really like the look of the sportback, so that doesn't have to much of an effect on me.

I'm still chuffed to bits with my s3 so another £10k on that seems ludicrous after I've only had it for 4 months. My mother would not be pleased.

But im sure it will be a different story in 12 months...

Tune it in you only live once ;)