RS3 detailed

Standard kit: Bumper, part bonnet (wrapped edges), part wings (inner edges wrapped) wing mirrors: £525.00 + vat

If you get that option then my car was the model for it - it was the first RS3 they had done. :)

I'd be interested in a group buy for paintshield and detailing... They're based in peterborough I think.

Yep.

That's pricey, Ventureshield were £800 inc. VAT for full front bumper, headlights, full wings and full bonnet for comparison to your £630 (£525+VAT). They have more installers countrywide so you potentially save on petrol and accommodation costs.

I specifically need stone chips fixed, not just a paint correction. I bought the base coat/clear coat kit from Audi, but I am rubbish at this and until it gets machine polished it will obviously look rubbish. So defo stone chips removal + paint correction + thorough wash + protection film for me.

The rebate for the Xpel thing would need to be quite good because driving to Peterborough means, days off work, accomodation costs, night out with you guys... I know they say their film is superior and this may well be true, but the overhead for me is to be accounted for.

I'd want full front, not half the bonnet for instance...

It's the same thing as much as Xpel make out theres is different as Xpel were Ventureshield people prior to 3M's acquisition when they went out on their own.

Wickedstef, it really depends on how bad the stone chips are, some may be better lacquered in filled rather than paint and lacquer thus cheaper to do. Best for a good detailer to do that.

I've had both sort of stone chips P_G. Had a couple were the entire paint got removed and I could see/touch the metal. Others were with only one layer of paint off. But as much as the top layer is very white and glossy, the layer under seemed of a different colour, sort of blemish grey. I am not sure that just putting the lacquer would have been enough but I will try that next time.

I don't want to be too negative but I had a black metallic paint Megane before and I cannot remember stone chips that would basically remove the paint from an area. It seems to me that this ibis white solid paint is very fragile and maybe not thick enough. It could also be that I wasn't able to see the problems so clearly.

I know most of you guys went for the metallic paints. Have you got a different experience? Do you see that you have more layers of paint or that it is more resistant to stones?

It might depend on how old your Megane was. I understand that the EU banned certain types of paints a few years back and that means all new cars of every make have weaker paint finishes than they used to have.

My RS4's paint was considerable harder wearing than the RS3, it seems very soft to me, I've got 2 stone chips already!

I'm not sure it is the paint rather than what it is applied to. I don't think it has as much grab on the RS3 bonnet and wings as say on metal. Is the bonnet not aluminium and the front wings carbon composite?

I do have a stone chip on the nearside A-pillar and someone has nicked the nearside front door just on the shoulder crease but otherwise for 8k miles the paintwork is pretty good albeit Ventureshield has a lot to do with that.

Hmm, the Megane was an 06 plate. Considering Klauster's comment, I'd imagine they cut cost on sealant...

I was told lighter colours such as white are 'softer' and darker colours are 'harder' whatever that means.