Rs3 driver configuration / tips

I have mainly been using the "hockey stick", as the power and torque figures are still a novelty and I dislike the "Runway".
Ideally, I would like the two traditional dials for "normal" modes, with it switching automatically to "hockey stick" for RS modes. However, when I select the auto switching option in "hockey stick", it switches to "Runway" for RS, which is annoying and disappointing.

That can be done as I was having similar frustrations but managed to do it.

Can’t remember off hand but will report back - I’m sure there was a setting that I had missed but it is in the manual as that’s where I found it

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
I have mainly been using the "hockey stick", as the power and torque figures are still a novelty and I dislike the "Runway".
Ideally, I would like the two traditional dials for "normal" modes, with it switching automatically to "hockey stick" for RS modes. However, when I select the auto switching option in "hockey stick", it switches to "Runway" for RS, which is annoying and disappointing.
Yeah the ideal would be 2 dial for default 'normal' lambo / hocket stick for individual and runway for RS - then get to cycle between all 3.

After you mentioned it recently, I am giving runway another try… must agree with you it is actually pretty good, especially now mine is run in and I’m not constantly checking the revs

I started with the 2 dials then primarily the lambo style and that has been my standard layout for a while. The 2 dials don’t appear to have rev lights unlike the others although that may be mode dependent? I really should have a look through the manual

I noticed that in runway mode you get rev lights in the head up display so I’m enjoying that little aspect

Yeah its certainly the most colourful isn't it :)
I think I would still prefer the revs to move away rather than come towards you.
Cool about the HUD - I've not got that but nice addition.

I've just started using Runway having set it to Lambo style from Day 1.
Without HUD I find that the green, yellow and I'm assuming red shift indicator is more obvious in peripheral vision than the Lambo style.
Bag hooks are way better in this than the 8V.
One thing I have noticed is that the door seals appear to be thicker near the wing mirrors (first 300mm or so) which is why I'm assuming the 8v wing mirror wind noise is non existent at high speed in the 8y.

I've just started using Runway having set it to Lambo style from Day 1.
Without HUD I find that the green, yellow and I'm assuming red shift indicator is more obvious in peripheral vision than the Lambo style.
Bag hooks are way better in this than the 8V.
One thing I have noticed is that the door seals appear to be thicker near the wing mirrors (first 300mm or so) which is why I'm assuming the 8v wing mirror wind noise is non existent at high speed in the 8y.

I don't want to tempt fate but so far the build appears to be excellent too with no squeaks or rattles and doors close with a nice quality thump.
Wind noise now you mention it is very low - I went on a motorway at the weekend with cruise to 70mph and it was effortless and relaxed.
But then when back on the B roads, engage dynamic and a slightly different experience :icon thumright:

Reactions: RSt3ve
@Keano04 rev lights used to be a dynamic thing only so it may be you can't see them as in the wrong mode?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

I don't want to tempt fate but so far the build appears to be excellent too with no squeaks or rattles and doors close with a nice quality thump.
Wind noise now you mention it is very low - I went on a motorway at the weekend with cruise to 70mph and it was effortless and relaxed.
But then when back on the B roads, engage dynamic and a slightly different experience :icon thumright:
Here's the new seal, if it was on the 8v I apologise! Guessing they couldn't afford to do the full door!!
20220126 124657
20220126 124652

@Keano04 rev lights used to be a dynamic thing only so it may be you can't see them as in the wrong mode?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Yeah that could be it - I need to check it out a bit more as I stumbled across it on the hud by xx acne rather than design!

Audi heartbeat is no more :icon thumright:

Reactions: RSt3ve
Audi heartbeat is no more :icon thumright:
Nice work.
Next up for me is bombard Audi UK with emails about FOD, I hate seeing the adaptive cruise switch and not being able to use it. OCD overload!

Reactions: Stu-27 and Snake Pliskin
Does anyone know how to stop Apple car play from swapping from the radio when connecting?

Quick question …

Occasionally seen a green foot & pedal appear on the virtual screen … what is it ? :blink:

Quick question …

Occasionally seen a green foot & pedal appear on the virtual screen … what is it ? :blink:
Driving tip. It knows that the speed limit may be reducing shortly etc so it’s telling you to let off the gas.

Reactions: Mike.46 and Snake Pliskin
Driving tip. It knows that the speed limit may be reducing shortly etc so it’s telling you to let off the gas.
Or corners, roundabout, junctions, etc. that you will likely have to slow down for.

Reactions: Terminator x, abmat and Snake Pliskin
Quick question …

Its the red foot & pedal you want.........means drive it harder :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Freeze, Jassyo06, kayemill and 1 other person
F Lane assist again.
I can find the option for remember 'last setting' within the VCDS but it wont let me alter the coding, I think it also needs a workshop code, ill dig around a little more

Basically same as this but when 'DO IT' is pressed it refuses it

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevmoz and Frankel
F Lane assist again.
I can find the option for remember 'last setting' within the VCDS but it wont let me alter the coding, I think it also needs a workshop code, ill dig around a little more

Basically same as this but when 'DO IT' is pressed it refuses it

Hi @Mike.46 i think you can only do it on ODB Eleven as the news cars are SFD locked and VCDS hasn’t got a work around to my knowledge as you need a token which they won’t provide. I’m learning at the moment but it looks like VCDS is no good on the newer cars unless you have an account with Audi. Happy to be corrected.

Has anyone explored the 8Y yet on VCDS or the likes and know if you can enable alarm chirp and turn the rear LED lights on as daytime lights like the 8V had?

Hi jimbo255
Because the SFD is associated with your own car, you can use VCDS by just unlocking SFD by using OBEleven, once you have unlocked SFD with your OBDEleven you then unplug it and plug your VCDS in and you will have 90 minutes to alter anything before it locks. If you need more time then just go through the same sequence again.

Reactions: Lucasquattro and jimbo255
I thought it would say if the ecu is SFD protected?

My mirrors don't open until the car is started so you can't rely on that.
That may be codeable like the Golf7.5R I had, mirrors on that wer a good indication that the car was indeed locked

Searching for the 'remember last setting' for lane assist also turned up that Q5 'eventually' remember last setting but only after a set amount of time of continually switching it off when you get in car

Hi Mike.46
When you do an Autoscan with the latest VCDS software it will show which modules will have SFD protection but as I said in my earlier post you can just unlock them by using OBDEleven first before using VCDS to do what you require.

Reactions: Mike.46
Ive just done the lane assist to remember last setting with VCDS, follow the you tube video I posted (post 102), I missed the 'exit' bit from the 'experimental' coding

Happy Days :racer: :redrs4: :yum:

Reactions: Frankel, billymc92 and 8YARWY
IMG 8110

Apparently I can now open it with either the card or my phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RS03???, Waq1 and Terminator x
Ive just done the lane assist to remember last setting with VCDS, follow the you tube video I posted (post 102), I missed the 'exit' bit from the 'experimental' coding

Happy Days :racer: :redrs4: :yum:
Welcome to the club, it’s so much better!

Reactions: jimbo255 and Mike.46
View attachment 250739
Apparently I can now open it with either the card or my phone

It’s not as good as it sounds lol. When I first seen this I thought I could use it like a key and not have to carry the key but doesn’t work like that. You can activate it on MMI fir a one time use but that’s it,

Welcome to the club, it’s so much better!
Indeed, it's a complete PITA, I let wifey drive the car today and turned it on just to show her what it was, a few yelps later I switched it off again.

I found it pretty dangerous when over taking a car (on my test drive) on a dual carraigeway as it crossed the white lines then darted over a little and I do wonder what would happen if you came across a cyclist and edged towards the white line to over take him, I think it's dangerous.

Just glad I was able to do it via my VCDS :)

It’s not as good as it sounds lol. When I first seen this I thought I could use it like a key and not have to carry the key but doesn’t work like that. You can activate it on MMI fir a one time use but that’s it,

Yeah it’s an odd Ball thing, apparently once set up I can use it or the phone but it’s not working yet.

Reactions: billymc92
Hi jimbo255
Because the SFD is associated with your own car, you can use VCDS by just unlocking SFD by using OBEleven, once you have unlocked SFD with your OBDEleven you then unplug it and plug your VCDS in and you will have 90 minutes to alter anything before it locks. If you need more time then just go through the same sequence again.
Thanks @MELenium in the end I just bought OBDEleven an that seems to do what i need at the moment and was much cheaper!

is there any way to check status of the battery ?

I can’t find anything in the app or the car mmi.

is there any way to check status of the battery ?

I can’t find anything in the app or the car mmi.

There’s an option in VCDS for SOC
I know on the 8V it never worked, however on the Golf 7 it does once enabled.

There’s an option in VCDS for SOC
I know on the 8V it never worked, however on the Golf 7 it does once enabled.

it was your post the other day mate that got me thinking.

the Merc had it on the app and in the car. I think keyless entry and app talking to the car puts extra drain on the battery (correct me if I’m wrong).

so nothing as standard to check the battery then

Reactions: 8YARWY