Rs3 Facelift conversion Please help with DRL Xenon headlight info

Shades_RS

Reaction score
Hi guys, im new to this forum and have found it very useful to date so far, i have a 2008 A3 170 and decided to do a facelift conversion.. originally i though of S3 but decided to go for the full hog and do an RS3.. wish i never started now due to price of parts etc. i have drl headlights fitted with ballasts/bulbs and the loom conversion, which has another wire on each loom that runs to the electronic control system to separate pins, after plugging lights in and running the first wire to the electronic control unit, both lights seemed to work although passenger side wire hadn't been connected yet.. also notice the DRL's don't work and is there side lights on these light units or does the drl cover these? ive notice a bulb holder moulded to inner casing of headlights but no actual connectors etc running to these, can anyone advise me further on this? would much appreciate any help at all. thanks in advance.

You may be better off posting this in the A3 section (8P) as it gets higher throughput of visitors.

Can't help you myself, but others who've done front end conversions should be able to

Reactions: Shades_RS
rather than have an endless chain of questions drop me a pm and ill give you my googletalk account and talk you through what youve got to do theres a good few changes

The conversion itself is more less complete, just need info regarding drl & sidelights. should they be working as ive fitted the wiring adapter from old to new or do i need to do anything else to get them working? also as stated is there a separate sidelight or does drl act as sidelights? would rather talk through it on here to help others with future problems like myself. cheers

The conversion itself is more less complete, just need info regarding drl & sidelights. should they be working as ive fitted the wiring adapter from old to new or do i need to do anything else to get them working? also as stated is there a separate sidelight or does drl act as sidelights? would rather talk through it on here to help others with future problems like myself. cheers

The DRL Light also acts as a sidelight also.

Reactions: Shades_RS
make sure you have all the wires plugged into the right places and its coded correctly. a few have already done this mod including Phil and Diggz and they work fine.

make sure you have all the wires plugged into the right places and its coded correctly. a few have already done this mod including Phil and Diggz and they work fine.
i really need to know if drl will work when plugged in or would I need them coded before they will work? I assume the adapter will ensure all cables are in right position. I'm under the impression that coding will get rid of any warning lights thrown up and that drl should work without coding? Is this right? If so why don't mine work? Lol

you need to get it coded and wired! those extra wires on the adapter looms are for the bi-xenon shutters and the DRLs so without those wires plugged in no signal is going to the headlight for those functions. also the coding will tell the car that DRLs are now there so it should function fine.

no point doing half a job and then worrying that it isnt working!

you need to get it coded and wired! those extra wires on the adapter looms are for the bi-xenon shutters and the DRLs so without those wires plugged in no signal is going to the headlight for those functions. also the coding will tell the car that DRLs are now there so it should function fine.

no point doing half a job and then worrying that it isnt working!
i realise what your saying, I haven't spent 4k on this conversion so far to do half a job, all I want to know if the drl should be working without coding. I've connected the wiring adapters up and the single wire running to the electronic control unit from this new loom adapter. All I need to know.. Should the drl work at this stage? If it should and mine don't then there's pointless me going further until its sorted?? For all I know the lights could be ********??

well from a pre-facelift you should have had 4 wires coming into the electric module.
left side shutter
right side shutter
left side drl
right side drl

now some adapters come with just 2 wires as they already wire in the high beam wire direct to the DRL position so the 2 wires coming in are
left side shutter
right side shutter

now without the coding the DRL will not function as the car does not yet know to supply a constant voltage to the bulb.

which electric module do you have (part number)?

well from a pre-facelift you should have had 4 wires coming into the electric module.
left side shutter
right side shutter
left side drl
right side drl

now some adapters come with just 2 wires as they already wire in the high beam wire direct to the DRL position so the 2 wires coming in are
left side shutter
right side shutter

now without the coding the DRL will not function as the car does not yet know to supply a constant voltage to the bulb.

ok I think we're getting somewhere now, cheers! The adapters I bought have just the one wire coming off each to run back to module, but I noticed when connecting this one wire from right hand lamp adapter to the pin required for the right side, both headlights worked so leaves me under the impression does passenger side wire need connecting as I don't think it's quite long enough anyway? As for part number on module I'm sure I seem something regarding K ?? But I will double check tomorrow,, do your saying I may need another wire off each to connect in to module for drl? Depending on what module I have. These are the adapters I purchased: Audi A3 S3 8P + TT 8J Xenon headlights adapter cable set, suitable for Bi Xenon | eBay. My car had standard halogen lights fitted, not sure if that makes a difference? Cheers ash.

It's not about adapters, it's about NHN OEM wiring.

not helping mate

ok I think we're getting somewhere now, cheers! The adapters I bought have just the one wire coming off each to run back to module, but I noticed when connecting this one wire from right hand lamp adapter to the pin required for the right side, both headlights worked so leaves me under the impression does passenger side wire need connecting as I don't think it's quite long enough anyway? As for part number on module I'm sure I seem something regarding K ?? But I will double check tomorrow,, do your saying I may need another wire off each to connect in to module for drl? Depending on what module I have. These are the adapters I purchased: Audi A3 S3 8P + TT 8J Xenon headlights adapter cable set, suitable for Bi Xenon | eBay. My car had standard halogen lights fitted, not sure if that makes a difference? Cheers ash.

ok with those adapters you already have the DRLs wired in... the one wire you have left disconnected is the shutter wire... so you will find that you wont be able to do the xenon flash (high beam).
get the car coded and then go on to test... like i said before you need to complete the job before worrying.

not helping mate

I am, I'm implying NHN will make his problems disappear, as he's a magician when it comes to this stuff.

magician2.jpg

Theres nothing wrong with adapters. I've been using them for over a year now and had no issues.

still if you do something do it right oem wiring all the way love the fabric tape :)

Reactions: N8
left side shutter
right side shutter
left side drl
right side drl

left side shutter
right side shutter

Hi ash, the module part number is: 8P0907279K, I connected other wire up today and my main beam or flash worked, well on DRL if this is correct? didn't realise these would give off main beam..but they were very bright, i hope this is right? i was expecting main beam/flash to come off xenon light, so its just a case of coding the drl to work on side lights etc.. and job done? also bought bluetooth last week i assume it wont pick up anything until this is coded also? what is involved in coding? (sorry but im all new to this)

Id love to see pics of the finished project, sounds exciting.

Hi ash, the module part number is: 8P0907279K, I connected other wire up today and my main beam or flash worked, well on DRL if this is correct? didn't realise these would give off main beam..but they were very bright, i hope this is right? i was expecting main beam/flash to come off xenon light, so its just a case of coding the drl to work on side lights etc.. and job done? also bought bluetooth last week i assume it wont pick up anything until this is coded also? what is involved in coding? (sorry but im all new to this)

yh thats right, as you havent coded it the car still thinks you have a separate bulb for flash and is using the DRLs... once you have it all coded you will be fine.

bluetooth... yes you have to get it coded so the car knows what you have in there and can talk to it.

where abouts are you based? also do you have someone that can code it for you?

yh thats right, as you havent coded it the car still thinks you have a separate bulb for flash and is using the DRLs... once you have it all coded you will be fine.

bluetooth... yes you have to get it coded so the car knows what you have in there and can talk to it.

where abouts are you based? also do you have someone that can code it for you?
thanks for your help so far, I'm based in Llanelli and Ammanford, S.Wales. I don't have a clue about coding etc.. As its all new to me, if there's no one local to me I don't mind buying the kit and try code myself, same as everything I suppose? It's easy once you know how. I'll be looking for rs3 seats before long and a flat bottom steering wheel to complete transformation

Id love to see pics of the finished project, sounds exciting.
to be honest I'm sorry I started as I didn't expect to throw so many thousands at it but can't wait for finished build myself, did think about S3 rep but I like to be different, either all or f##k all I say :) it will be going down for paint over the next fortnight. Will keep you all updated.