Facelift RS3 Genuine Secondary Cat Bypass Pipes

Aoon_M

Reaction score
Okay looks like I was wrong,

Some aluminium block 5 cylinder cars come with secondary catalysts. This is very weird. All the development pictures showed bypass pipes...

EDIT: looks like it depends on where you are in the world to see if you get secondary cats or bypass pipes from factory (UK and US confirmed to get catalysts)

Bypass pipes - 7MU Emission standard LEV 3/Tier 3 125
Catalyst pipes -7GH = Emission standard EU4 without EOBD without hardware modification, 7MM = Emission standard EU6 plus

Aw well, @AudiNutta - I don't disappoint.

Part numbers for genuine, bolt on audi RS3 Saloon/Hatch (and TTRS..) secondary bypass pipes are

8S0254503A
8S0254502A

@creweaudiparts Tom, these look to be relatively cheap. I'm sure they will sell like hotcakes :) Get a price up for the masses!

Last edited:
Reactions: RS-jay, creweaudiparts and Djs3saloon
Okay looks like I was wrong,

Aluminium block 5 cylinder cars all come with secondary catalysts. This is very weird. All the development pictures showed bypass pipes...

Aw well, @AudiNutta - I don't disappoint.

Part numbers for genuine, bolt on audi RS3 Saloon/Hatch (and TTRS..) secondary bypass pipes are

8S0254503A
8S0254502A

@creweaudiparts Tom, these look to be relatively cheap. I'm sure they will sell like hotcakes :) Get a price up for the masses!

You absolute life saver!! :D I will have a pipe waiting for when the car arrives!!

Some good news :D

Reactions: Bristle Hound
No.

There is very cheap oem bypass pipes which is going to kill the aftermarket in this area :)
Just looked it up. Here in Sweden they're ~62£ each :D

Sorry. Are these for the facelift or pre facelift or both ?

The part number for the 2018 FL cat bypass pipes is as Aoon_M posted:
Right: 8S0 254 502 A
Left: 8S0 254 503 A

Part number for 2018 FL cat pipes:
Right: 8S0 254 502 X
Left: 8S0 254 503 X

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The PFL oem rear cat pipes:
Right: 8V0 254 502 X
Left: 8V0 254 503 X

It's not the exact same numbers but they might fit to the PFL cars aswell.
Does anyone know?

They fit facelift and pre fl cars. I’ve received confirmation from over the pond,

Reactions: AlexRS3 and KKOG
Great news!

Not great news for the companies that has a large stock of aftermarket pipes.

So to clarify, these are genuine OEM secondary cat bypass pipes that should theoretically not harm warranty for those of us in the UK, while freeing up more sound?

So to clarify, these are genuine OEM secondary cat bypass pipes that should theoretically not harm warranty for those of us in the UK, while freeing up more sound?

They will harm the warranty, as they aren't UK spec. They are for US cars/sale I believe. I will be surprised if you can remove a cat and still retain the warranty.

When I looked for the genuine centre box delete pipe for the S3.... Audi told me that they can't get them because they aren't for this market, they said it's pointless me sourcing them because they still wouldn't be allowed to fit it. The parts guy on the phone actually told me "if I were you, I'd just go to an exhaust shop and get it done for a few quid" he told me the centre box won't affect warranty, because it is just a silencer not a cat.

I'm just likely to either buy the Genuine or Miltek bypass pipes, then pay an exhaust shop £50 to fit them.

In the first generation of the TTRS/RS3 they were called secondary cats but in reality they were nothing more than noise suppressors. There was little to no performance gain from swapping them out. The performance gains were in the primary cat at the face of the downpipe. Cars still passed their MOT's with the secondary cat bypass pipes in place.

I'd be mightily surprised if these were any different.

Last edited:
Reactions: AudiNutta
Same with 8V, no gains other than noise when deleting secondary cats and should still pass MOT. Won't know for sure though until Nov 18 :tearsofjoy:

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

In the first generation of the TTRS/RS3 they were called secondary cats but in reality they were nothing more than noise suppressors. There was little to no performance gain from swapping them out. The performance gains were in the primary cat at the face of the downpipe. Cars still passed their MOT's with the secondary cat bypass pipes in place.

I'd be mightily surprised if these were any different.

Yes I was led to believe the car would pass an MOT with them out. The car also has another two silencers closer to the backbox, supposedly anti drone boxes?

I'm hoping that removing the secondary 'cats' will be enough to bring it up to a PFL sound level, but I really doubt it.

They will harm the warranty, as they aren't UK spec. They are for US cars/sale I believe. I will be surprised if you can remove a cat and still retain the warranty.

When I looked for the genuine centre box delete pipe for the S3.... Audi told me that they can't get them because they aren't for this market, they said it's pointless me sourcing them because they still wouldn't be allowed to fit it. The parts guy on the phone actually told me "if I were you, I'd just go to an exhaust shop and get it done for a few quid" he told me the centre box won't affect warranty, because it is just a silencer not a cat.

I'm just likely to either buy the Genuine or Miltek bypass pipes, then pay an exhaust shop £50 to fit them.
If they are OEM they shouldn't invalidate warranty?

If they are OEM they shouldn't invalidate warranty?

Not if you can't buy them in the UK. They may be approved for the US market, but not the UK. Best way to find out is to phone Audi with the part numbers and see if they can get them. S3 is having a service on Wednesday, will ask then if I remember.

They still doesn't make sense. If they are OEM they shouldn't harm the car, and therefore the warranty, in any way.

They still doesn't make sense. If they are OEM they shouldn't harm the car, and therefore the warranty, in any way.

Yes I agree with you, but all depends on whether us as a UK market can purchase them from the UK dealers.

Yesterday I got in touch with an Audi dealership here in Sweden to ask for the availability of these catless midpipes.
No problem, they didn't have them in stock, but could be ordered from Germany and would take 3-5 days to arrive.

I really don't want to order them before I get a confirmation what the FL is equipped with here in Sweden.

Anyone know if these are standard for just the US market FL rs3?

Reactions: Macintosh88
Yesterday I got in touch with an Audi dealership here in Sweden to ask for the availability of these catless midpipes.
No problem, they didn't have them in stock, but could be ordered from Germany and would take 3-5 days to arrive.

I really don't want to order them before I get a confirmation what the FL is equipped with here in Sweden.

Anyone know if these are standard for just the US market FL rs3?

You need to check your PR numbers from your build sheet.

Bypass pipes - 7MU Emission standard LEV 3/Tier 3 125
Catalyst pipes -7GH = Emission standard EU4 without EOBD without hardware modification, 7MM = Emission standard EU6 plus

Yes I agree with you, but all depends on whether us as a UK market can purchase them from the UK dealers.

They are showing as available to order in the UK. The res delete on the S3 was never a UK market part, nor did it show on UK parts database for that reason.

Last edited:
They are showing as available to order in the UK. The res delete on the S3 was never a UK market part, nor did it show on UK parts database for that reason.

Sorted! If Audi can supply them, you'd think they can fit them to be warranty safe. Thanks again for the information so soon.

Hi Guys,

@Aoon_M Cheers for that! Both part numbers are on back order so would take around 4-7 days to arrive.I can do them for £60.00 each + postage fee.

Thanks,Tom

Reactions: MartayMcFly, L1ARR and AudiNutta
Hi Guys,

@Aoon_M Cheers for that! Both part numbers are on back order so would take around 4-7 days to arrive.I can do them for £60.00 each + postage fee.

Thanks,Tom
Can you confirm these would not affect warranty?

Hi,

@D0C i have just spoken to warranty and fitting this part would only effect items it in direct contact with e.g engine,gearbox,exhaust but not the rest of the car such as interior etc.....

There main gripe is that its not "designed" for that car and 9/10 wont be fitted by a Audi centre (even if it has its still void)

Hope this helps.

Tom

Hi,

@D0C i have just spoken to warranty and fitting this part would only effect items it in direct contact with e.g engine,gearbox,exhaust but not the rest of the car such as interior etc.....

There main gripe is that its not "designed" for that car and 9/10 wont be fitted by a Audi centre (even if it has its still void)

Hope this helps.

Tom
Ouch, so the warranty for engine, gearbox, exhaust etc (the big money parts!) would be voided.

Although slightly confusing that they say it's not designed for the car when it is an OEM part!

Reactions: VAG_Club001 and AudiNutta
Ouch, so the warranty for engine, gearbox, exhaust etc (the big money parts!) would be voided.

Although slightly confusing that they say it's not designed for the car when it is an OEM part!

Although it is an Audi RS3 part, albeit for another part of the world, where the engine management, emissions control etc have all been set to run with those pipes in the system, whereas the UK models have not, hence Audi UK's stance.

oh damn, this sounds great. Let's see if the warranty in the netherlands will stay.

Hi,

Hope this helps.

Tom

Tom,

That doesn't sound right? If an Audi centre is allowed to sell a part, it should not void warranty. Can you name me another part that you sell which would void warranty?

By selling it, Audi are effectively encouraging people to breach the terms of their warranty!

Engine, gearbox and exhaust are the very components we all want to make sure are covered!!

Would appreciate if you could do some further investigation. To think that Audi sell a part which will void warranty is stupidity, if you can supply it then you should be able to fit it.

Thanks.

Hi,

Hope this helps.

Tom
Oh well.....at least the inside of the car would still be under warranty that's a big relief, phewwwwww ha ha :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: billymc92, AudiNutta and D0C
Edit,

Find that hard to believe personally.

Last edited:
I edited it when I read StokeAudi's response properly. They've apparently had it confirmed by their warranty department.

I just find it hard to believe they would take that stance with an Audi supplied part and then the effect that would have on engine and gearbox etc.

I edited it when I read StokeAudi's response properly. They've apparently had it confirmed by their warranty department.

I just find it hard to believe they would take that stance with an Audi supplied part and then the effect that would have on engine and gearbox etc.

Yep same here, Audi cannot supply an OEM part and then say that it isn't suitable. The only reason a component would void warranty is because Audi think it could potentially affect the life of components, well why design and sell one to us then if it's going to cause damage?

Yep same here, Audi cannot supply an OEM part and then say that it isn't suitable. The only reason a component would void warranty is because Audi think it could potentially affect the life of components, well why design and sell one to us then if it's going to cause damage?

Just check the vehicles Type Approval Specification; if it says it's been Approved with one Primary and two Secondary Cats then one Primary and two Secondary Cats is what (should) will be 'tested/observed' during an Audi MOT. I've been running Secondary Cat By Pass pipes (8P Rs3) for 6-years now and for sure I'll be getting BLUEY MOT tested AWAY from an Audi Dealership - as said previously many times. Good luck with getting sans secondary cats past Audi warranty, not that they are terribly effective at reducing the CO anyway; my 8P RS3 was 0.01% CO with secondary cats and 0.02% CO without, and the pass limit 0.20% CO. Gotta laugh, but that's 91/441/EEC legislation for you...

Reactions: Terminator x, l4oth and AudiNutta

They can :) You can walk into the dealership and order an R8 v10 engine if you like, they will give you it. The Decat pipes are not applicable to your cars chassis number, Audi can only fit parts/accessories to your car that are applicable to your VIN. They can supply whatever you want though :)

Warranty doesn't really work like that, you can't just fit OEM RS3 ceramic brakes and expect Audi to foot the bill if something goes wrong, when you pay for an option at factory order time the liability for warranty is included in the option price etc. This is why factory speed delimiter costs so much :)

The decat pipes yes are made for an RS3 but the bottom line is if they did not come fitted with the car consider it a modification and your warranty for the drivetrain null and void. You pay to play.

At the end of the day these Decat pipes are not a genuine dealer accessory, they are parts off of an RS3 designed for X market of car, not UK market. If an Audi dealer was to agree to fit these pipes they'd be snookered if they were scrutinised as they are technically committing fraud by increasing the emissions of the car, and we all know how safe VAG are playing it just now don't we ;)

The two secondary catalysts are not "noise suppressors" or anything like that, they are 300 cell catalysts each. Their purpose is to reduce the emissions of the car. Trust me, there are far cheaper ways to suppress the noise.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdmundVR4, Evotion, 45bvtc and 1 other person
They can :) You can walk into the dealership and order an R8 v10 engine if you like, they will give you it. The Decat pipes are not applicable to your cars chassis number, Audi can only fit parts/accessories to your car that are applicable to your VIN. They can supply whatever you want though :)

Warranty doesn't really work like that, you can't just fit OEM RS3 ceramic brakes and expect to foot the bill if something goes wrong, when you pay for an option at factory order time the liability for warranty is included in the option price etc. This is why factory speed delimiter costs so much :)

The decat pipes yes are made for an RS3 but the bottom line is if they did not come fitted with the car consider it a modification and your warranty for the drivetrain null and void. You pay to play.

At the end of the day these Decat pipes are not a genuine dealer accessory, they are parts off of an RS3 designed for X market of car, not UK market. If an Audi dealer was to agree to fit these pipes they'd be snookered if they were scrutinised as they are technically committing fraud by increasing the emissions of the car, and we all know how safe VAG are playing it just now don't we ;)

The two secondary catalysts are not "noise suppressors" or anything like that, they are 300 cell catalysts each. Their purpose is to reduce the emissions of the car. Trust me, there are far cheaper ways to suppress the noise.

I've heard some parts departments refusing to sell parts to people before (overheard). I heard one guy say he could only sell parts to a customer if the part was listed under his VIN.

This is a bit of a nightmare, really can't risk losing the warranty but the new RS3 sounds a bit s***e if you ask me, really disappointing :/

Depends how fussy your dealership is. As I said they can supply you with anything under the sun, but they can only fit items that are applicable to your cars chassis number.

Depends how fussy your dealership is. As I said they can supply you with anything under the sun, but they can only fit items that are applicable to your cars chassis number.

My dealer touch wood is pretty good. The S3 has the box delete, they have never mentioned it and it's had a new steering rack and a wheel bearing assembly. I was expecting them to mention that they have seen it.

Hi,

Hope this helps.

Tom
Fpmsl, easier to confirm what isn't voided!

TX.

Fpmsl, easier to confirm what isn't voided!

TX.

:lmfao: Yep and everything still covered is probably what you won't need to ever claim on.

You have the pipes don't you? Ever had any dealer issues?