Rs3 launch control issues

seanbeckerleg

Reaction score
Good evening all!

Just a quick question.... I having some paranoid feelings that my Haldex/pump/diff is playing up.
I’ve booked it into Audi to have them look at it, but really I just want opinions off those that may have experienced maybe the same thing I am.
It might be entirely normal which is potentially embarrassing the paranoias is fuelled by what I see other are going through.

So the other day, I decided to have a little fun... once warmed up I did a few launches... and the car didn’t seem normal. There was a little traction loss at front and I guess the car detected slip and with that the car had a sudden momentary loss in power/hesitation to keep going with the momentum.

What do you think could be causing this? It doesn’t seem normal and don’t recollect this happening ever to me before, even when I owned a 8v s3 it never really acted like this.

The car is still equipped with the factory Pirelli tyres which have really good tread still. Stock alloys with the wider fronts.... no mods. Road may have been a little damp at the time so this may have triggered this, but the hesitation in pushing forward make me believe this might be something up. It’s still under warranty so I’m hoping if there’s something up, it could be sorted out without costing me anything.

Another thing I have noticed is that on a cold start up and if going up a slight incline and you wish to put abut more torque into the push up, the car again holds back and the traction light will flash up. This only really happens when the car hasn’t yet reached proper operating temperature.
Before any of you guys think I’m beating on the car on a cold start... it isn’t like that. Just adding a little more pedal to get the car up the hill nicely can trigger this.
I’m sure this isn’t normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tristan
Is it on the original tyres? MPSS used to trigger TC on my PFL.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Good evening all!

Just a quick question.... I having some paranoid feelings that my Haldex/pump/diff is playing up.
I’ve booked it into Audi to have them look at it, but really I just want opinions off those that may have experienced maybe the same thing I am.
It might be entirely normal which is potentially embarrassing the paranoias is fuelled by what I see other are going through.

So the other day, I decided to have a little fun... once warmed up I did a few launches... and the car didn’t seem normal. There was a little traction loss at front and I guess the car detected slip and with that the car had a sudden momentary loss in power/hesitation to keep going with the momentum.

What do you think could be causing this? It doesn’t seem normal and don’t recollect this happening ever to me before, even when I owned a 8v s3 it never really acted like this.

The car is still equipped with the factory Pirelli tyres which have really good tread still. Stock alloys with the wider fronts.... no mods. Road may have been a little damp at the time so this may have triggered this, but the hesitation in pushing forward make me believe this might be something up. It’s still under warranty so I’m hoping if there’s something up, it could be sorted out without costing me anything.

Another thing I have noticed is that on a cold start up and if going up a slight incline and you wish to put abut more torque into the push up, the car again holds back and the traction light will flash up. This only really happens when the car hasn’t yet reached proper operating temperature.
Before any of you guys think I’m beating on the car on a cold start... it isn’t like that. Just adding a little more pedal to get the car up the hill nicely can trigger this.
I’m sure this isn’t normal

I faced the same issues when I have the p zeros. Especially during this kind of weather seasons. I feel like the TC is a little volatile in terms of sensitivity during wintry periods so I just warm the tyres up and term the Tc off. Feels a lot more under my control with it off.

Eventually switched to Michelin ps4s as I felt the p zeros even with decent or full tread felt slippy in cold temps compared to something like the ps4s. Reminded me of continental contact 6s. Very sticky during warm temps slippy in cold. Not saying ps4s are the best for grip, but they are impressive as an all rounder for both hot/cold, dry/wet. Prefer the more solid tyre wall too lol.

T/C seems to do a bit too much nannying even in sport mode (1 press). Not sure if the more recent cars are worse for this. Just messing around with draggy there was an immediate improvement in launch when the t/c is turned all the way off (push and hold for a few seconds).

Still I suppose I'll be glad for it when the ice hits in the roads! :)
I didn't think the car would engage launch mode with the tc on! Lol

Rear end twitched semi violently earlier on country lane without tc on ice. But the torque vectoring to the rear tyres are amazing on these cars. Still feels like a decent degree of control from the cars schematics even with it off.

I did a launch once and left hill hold assist on. It confused the car and gave the feel of traction loss, since turning it off they have all been spot on. Could be worth a look to make sure you turn it OFF before a launch and that you are in sport for the gearbox and TC.

I’m very familiar with the launch control procedure.... T/C has always been fully switched off, and my car doesn’t have hill hold assist so it can’t conflicting with that.

And as I’ve always used the stock Pirelli tyres, this behaviour is different to how it used to be, especially in comparison to the launch control experiences I had in my previous car being an 17 plate S3 saloon.

The thing that really trips me out is the hesitation from the traction control when on cold starts.... when I want torque it throws a little wobbly.
does the car react differently knowing the wether outside is cold?
Kinda like with the engine on cold starts... it won’t allow you to go above 5500rpm?
Cold tyres, cold roads denies the the power I request to the wheels?

No, launch control won’t engage with t/c on, but it will with it in “sport mode” (single press). I figure some folk (and likely a few journalist) may not have read the manual that t/c is not off with a single press, you have to push and hold it until it says ESC OFF. For me at least it made a difference to 0-60 times when messing about with it. The sport mode interferes a bit.

This is my first AWD car and damn do I love the traction!
Lol it's my first awd car too aside from my pre facelift b5 s4 which has no traction control at all. Well give me a clear night will be testing 0-60 on dragy once again THIS time with tc completely off! Thanks for correcting me I don't think I would have ever found out as stupid as it sounds lol

Screenshot 20191120 143851 dragy
Aye the t/c definitely is a bit twitchy when it's cold out. I ran to the post box and a short drive last night and it was showing -3C and noticed it was in fully nanny and seemed to be limiting torque (or braking possibly?) just messing about and punching it a few times. Easily fixed by turning it off though. That's what it's there for. As long as your car isn't doing it with t/c off I'd not worry too much, but you have a warranty, so get her checked out if you think there are haldex issues.
Lol just remembered I lent it to a friend but will be trying it as soon as I get it back. My last run a few months ago can definitely be improved I reckon its just a matter of how cold the road surface will be. With no loss of traction I reckon I could break into the 2s

2s? Crikey! What’s your setup?
Mrc stage 2 software and gearbox tune
Eventuri intake
Forge turbo inlet pipe
Wagner evo 3 intercooler
Milltek catless downpipe
Milltek non resonated cutback w/cerakote tips
Aem wmi with devils own nozzle
MSS sports spring kit
034 billet transmission/engine mounts
034 front and rear sway bar upgrades
034 spherical dogbone mount with upper and lower inserts
034 subframe locking collar bolt kit
034 subframe mount inserts

Weight reduction:
Sparco grid q fiberglass seats @ 6 kg per seat
Team dynamics custom 19" pro race @10kg per wheel w/o tyre
Super b lightweight battery @3.19kg
Ecs wiper/motor delete (sportback)
No rear seats
No equipment
Trim and carpet/lining retained.
All in all roughly just over 100-120 kg removed

Still need to try runs on 110 octane which it is mapped to (sunoco 260) my 3.09 was on pump 99.

Mrc stage 2 software and gearbox tune
Eventuri intake
Forge turbo inlet pipe
Wagner evo 3 intercooler
Milltek catless downpipe
Milltek non resonated cutback w/cerakote tips
Aem wmi with devils own nozzle
MSS sports spring kit
034 billet transmission/engine mounts
034 front and rear sway bar upgrades
034 spherical dogbone mount with upper and lower inserts
034 subframe locking collar bolt kit
034 subframe mount inserts

Weight reduction:
Sparco grid q fiberglass seats @ 6 kg per seat
Team dynamics custom 19" pro race @10kg per wheel w/o tyre
Super b lightweight battery @3.19kg
Ecs wiper/motor delete (sportback)
No rear seats
No equipment
Trim and carpet/lining retained.
All in all roughly just over 100-120 kg removed

Still need to try runs on 110 octane which it is mapped to (sunoco 260) my 3.09 was on pump 99.
Are there any original parts left?! ;)

Reactions: Tristan
Are there any original parts left?! ;)
Lol all reversible aside from the ECU and 3 drill holes in the right side boot trim. Still got oem bits at lockup. Stock turbo stock motor for now :tongueclosed:

Reactions: Ja5on and D0C
Good evening all!

Any update on this?
Here too sometimes complete loss of traction on damp/wet rouds.
Sometimes the car reacts more like FWD than AWD.
Also on stock tires Pzero.

Any update on this?
Here too sometimes complete loss of traction on damp/wet rouds.
Sometimes the car reacts more like FWD than AWD.
Also on stock tires Pzero.
Ant news Seanbeckerleg ..?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ELE-L29 met Tapatalk