RS3 OPF Exhaust

ollie2013uk

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I'm really struggling with the chocked sound of the exhaust on my RS3. I've got the factory sports exhaust fitted from new. Has anyone taken this off and replaced it with a miltek or remus cat back and left the OPF filters alone? If so what sort of sound are you getting?

I'm really struggling with the chocked sound of the exhaust on my RS3. I've got the factory sports exhaust fitted from new. Has anyone taken this off and replaced it with a miltek or remus cat back and left the OPF filters alone? If so what sort of sound are you getting?
How many miles have you done? It certainly gets better with a few thousand miles.

A valve controller is a big help as keeps valves open permanently in dynamic/sport so better on the lower rev range.

Ive got a REVO stage 1 map and has done wonders for the sound with the valves open and added pops/burbles, still not pre-OPF loud but sounds lovely and always turns heads! I wasn’t that fussed on more performance although the added power is nice, but for the improved sound alone I would highly recommend, however wave goodbye to your warranty!

Reactions: RS_UK, Golfatom and ollie2013uk
Thanks, pal, to be honest, I've got a 69plate and only done 10k in it!! I have a Golf GTE for work so have been using that a lot recently!! I just found some old threads with the controllers so currently watching a german driving around a car park!! I think i'll keep the Audi Sport system and get a valve controller. Think I'll stay away from remapping until the warranty is over.

Reactions: Riko0073
Thanks, pal, to be honest, I've got a 69plate and only done 10k in it!! I have a Golf GTE for work so have been using that a lot recently!! I just found some old threads with the controllers so currently watching a german driving around a car park!! I think i'll keep the Audi Sport system and get a valve controller. Think I'll stay away from remapping until the warranty is over.
Hmm, 10k should be enough to get a bit more sound so doubt you’ll get any more!

Lol, yep watched plenty of valve controller video’s myself!

Take a look at my clip here with the valve controller fitted, definitely helps...

I wanted to enjoy the car so for me the re-map and warranty is worth it but totally understand your reservations.

Reactions: ollie2013uk
Thanks, I like that sound. Where did you get yours from? A bit skeptical about getting stuff from the EU at the moment?

Thanks, I like that sound. Where did you get yours from? A bit skeptical about getting stuff from the EU at the moment?
Got mine from CETE in Germany, think there are UK companies that can provide very similar?

Poringland way for me. I might have to ask for some help fitting the box!! ‍

Poringland way for me. I might have to ask for some help fitting the box!! ‍
Happy to help mate, I’m not technical/mechanical at all but managed it fairly easy!

Nice to meet up and see your car too, what colour/Sportback/saloon?

Reactions: ollie2013uk
Happy to help mate, I’m not technical/mechanical at all but managed it fairly easy!

Nice to meet up and see your car too, what colour/Sportback/saloon?

nardo grey sport edition sport back. Absolutely love it to be honest, just needs a little more noise

Last edited by a moderator:
How many miles have you done? It certainly gets better with a few thousand miles.

A valve controller is a big help as keeps valves open permanently in dynamic/sport so better on the lower rev range.

Ive got a REVO stage 1 map and has done wonders for the sound with the valves open and added pops/burbles, still not pre-OPF loud but sounds lovely and always turns heads! I wasn’t that fussed on more performance although the added power is nice, but for the improved sound alone I would highly recommend, however wave goodbye to your warranty!
Do you know when the pre-OPF’s finished roughly?? Test drove a 65plate (PFL) yesterday,...... I AM TOTALLY IN LOVE!! It had the sports exhaust and the noise was epic, but we’re hoping to get one abit newer. I’ve been lead to believe there were changes made exhaust wise, is this true??
Apologies for all the questions chaps, I NEED AN RS3 in my life after yesterday, but won’t to make sure we get the right one!!

Do you know when the pre-OPF’s finished roughly?? Test drove a 65plate (PFL) yesterday,...... I AM TOTALLY IN LOVE!! It had the sports exhaust and the noise was epic, but we’re hoping to get one abit newer. I’ve been lead to believe there were changes made exhaust wise, is this true??
Apologies for all the questions chaps, I NEED AN RS3 in my life after yesterday, but won’t to make sure we get the right one!!

Stick to a PFL if you love the sound. The early FL sounds great, but not as good as the PFL's but you get more power out of the box, anymore potential for tuning with an FL. OPF was added in late 2018.

Stick to a PFL if you love the sound. The early FL sounds great, but not as good as the PFL's but you get more power out of the box, anymore potential for tuning with an FL. OPF was added in late 2018.
Can you do anything with the exhausts on the FL to enhance the sound to something close to the PFL?? I’m not totally against a PFL but was hoping to get something abit newer if possible??

Sure, get it tuned and you will get rowdy pops and bangs if that is what you want. :). Even on a new OPF RS3.

If that's not your thing you could just delete the mid-catalytic converters and get an exhaust controller and enhance the sound quite a lot.

Sure, get it tuned and you will get rowdy pops and bangs if that is what you want. :). Even on a new OPF RS3.

If that's not your thing you could just delete the mid-catalytic converters and get an exhaust controller and enhance the sound quite a lot.
I don’t want it FULL ASBO MODE as the wife will be driving it for the majority of the time. I just loved the noise of it in Dynamic, ...... the slight overrun/ the downshifts etc. I’m after something that is switchable ideally, so I’m comfort the boss is happy, but in dynamic you get to appreciate the engine noise.
mid happily go for a PFL which would be the easy answer, I’m just a little reluctant as we’ll probably put 40k on it in our ownership, and with buying an older car it’s more likely to have a good few miles on it already.............. worried that when it comes to resale if it has 70-80k on it no one will want to touch it.
P.S. appreciate all this input though, it’s much appreciated

I don’t want it FULL ASBO MODE as the wife will be driving it for the majority of the time. I just loved the noise of it in Dynamic, ...... the slight overrun/ the downshifts etc. I’m after something that is switchable ideally, so I’m comfort the boss is happy, but in dynamic you get to appreciate the engine noise.
mid happily go for a PFL which would be the easy answer, I’m just a little reluctant as we’ll probably put 40k on it in our ownership, and with buying an older car it’s more likely to have a good few miles on it already.............. worried that when it comes to resale if it has 70-80k on it no one will want to touch it.

Buy a FL
Buy a Dyno Spectrum DS1 (new way of mapping)

Have it as ASBO as you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your right resale on a high milage RS3 isn't likely to appeal to many. I previously had a PFL and I miss its sound. The FL and even re-mapped newer RS3's don't quite sound right. They don't have the same burbles and natural sounds, and it feels a bit programmed or random for the pops it does make. But they still sound very good. My advice is find a car you like with miles that you can live with. Get an exhaust controller and see how you feel then. If you decide you want more, get it mapped would be my advice. Even at stage 2 with a decat my car is as quiet as stock in comfort mode, you can have a total Jekyll and Hyde experience with these cars.

Your right resale on a high milage RS3 isn't likely to appeal to many. I previously had a PFL and I miss its sound. The FL and even re-mapped newer RS3's don't quite sound right. They don't have the same burbles and natural sounds, and it feels a bit programmed or random for the pops it does make. But they still sound very good. My advice is find a car you like with miles that you can live with. Get an exhaust controller and see how you feel then. If you decide you want more, get it mapped would be my advice. Even at stage 2 with a decat my car is as quiet as stock in comfort mode, you can have a total Jekyll and Hyde experience with these cars.
That’s really interesting to know, Thankyou. Any advice where to get a valve controller?? Are they controlled by driver mode or switched separately?? Is it a DIY job for a novice mechanic??

P.s. can I just apologise to Ollie13uk for jumping in on his thread, thought I’d start throwing some questions out whilst you had a relevant thread going.

That’s really interesting to know, Thankyou. Any advice where to get a valve controller?? Are they controlled by driver mode or switched separately?? Is it a DIY job for a novice mechanic??
or

I have the ASR and would definitely recommend it. Installation is dead easy, literally 2 plugs to undo and plug the device between them. Instructions are on this forum if you search. Any novice can easily install it with just a 10mm socket. With both you get the added advantage of stop-start memory so the car remembers when it is turned off.

or

I have the ASR and would definitely recommend it. Installation is dead easy, literally 2 plugs to undo and plug the device between them. Instructions are on this forum if you search. Any novice can easily install it with just a 10mm socket. With both you get the added advantage of stop-start memory so the car remembers when it is turned off.
They look like the sort of thing I need, thanks for the links

2019 RS3 Sportback. Exhaust sound is nice at times, but nothing compared to pre 2018. No pops and bangs.
I'm considering adding a Milltek exhaust setup

Cat-back - Non-Resonated with Cerakote Black Trims - RS3 - Sportback 400PS (8V MQB - Facelift Only) - OPF/GPF Models - 2019 - 2020 - SSXAU769​

It's around £1500.
I'm not looking to improve performance, I just want more roar volume and pops and bangs. Audi-sport.net is this the way to go?

2019 RS3 Sportback. Exhaust sound is nice at times, but nothing compared to pre 2018. No pops and bangs.

Cat-back - Non-Resonated with Cerakote Black Trims - RS3 - Sportback 400PS (8V MQB - Facelift Only) - OPF/GPF Models - 2019 - 2020 - SSXAU769​

It's around £1500.
I'm not looking to improve performance, I just want more roar volume and pops and bangs. Audi-sport.net is this the way to go?
Not sure you’ll get pops and bangs without a remap just by changing to this system.

Video on YouTube I’ve seen and the guy does say it is louder than the Audi sports exhaust but you would probably say that after spending £1,500 on it!

If I heard it side by side and was louder then I’d be interested too.

Not sure you’ll get pops and bangs without a remap just by changing to this system.

Video on YouTube I’ve seen and the guy does say it is louder than the Audi sports exhaust but you would probably say that after spending £1,500 on it!

If I heard it side by side and was louder then I’d be interested too.
I hear you man, it's difficult. You can imagine there's not much change after an RS3, so I need to know whatever I do is the end of it and not the beginning of a money pit...

It's around £1500.
I spoke to Litchfield last week regarding an OPF delete on a 2019, I was told you can’t do anything to the exhaust system with out a remap as it messes with the sensors........ not saying this is gospel as I’m no expert but may be worth confirming before outlaying for the exhaust to find it won’t work without the remap

I spoke to Litchfield last week regarding an OPF delete on a 2019, I was told you can’t do anything to the exhaust system with out a remap as it messes with the sensors........ not saying this is gospel as I’m no expert but may be worth confirming before outlaying for the exhaust to find it won’t work without the remap
Bro it's a real bag of worms. When I'm speaking to mechanics, none of them want to admit they're not sure, they all have the answer

I've got a year and half left on the warranty, and given that I only picked up the car last week I'm nervous to jump into remapping immediately.

Plus the performance is incredible, so gaining power isn't the goal. But without the crackles, pops and bangs, I'm missing out on a world of fun...

Bro it's a real bag of worms. When I'm speaking to mechanics, none of them want to admit they're not sure, they all have the answer

I've got a year and half left on the warranty, and given that I only picked up the car last week I'm nervous to jump into remapping immediately.

Plus the performance is incredible, so gaining power isn't the goal. But without the crackles, pops and bangs, I'm missing out on a world of fun...
I’m in the same boat chap, we’re picking up our 2019 RS3 next week (CANT WAIT) and though I know the noise isn’t as good as the predecessor, the fact I’m getting a car with 4K on the clock and still with manufacturers warranty gives me piece of mind......... once the warranty runs out.........well, we’ll see what happens but I’m not ruling out a remap!!

I’m in the same boat chap, we’re picking up our 2019 RS3 next week (CANT WAIT) and though I know the noise isn’t as good as the predecessor, the fact I’m getting a car with 4K on the clock and still with manufacturers warranty gives me piece of mind......... once the warranty runs out.........well, we’ll see what happens but I’m not ruling out a remap!!
You're gonna love it mate.
A bit thirsty, that'll give you a shock, but the power more than makes up for it.

Well keep your ears open and we'll keep each other informed if any clear answers show up. I'm contacting Milltek directly tomorrow...

You're gonna love it mate.
A bit thirsty, that'll give you a shock, but the power more than makes up for it.

Well keep your ears open and we'll keep each other informed if any clear answers show up. I'm contacting Milltek directly tomorrow...
yes chap, keep me posted on what they say.......
How thirsty we talking??......... just so I’m prepared!!

yes chap, keep me posted on what they say.......
How thirsty we talking??......... just so I’m prepared!!
Well...
Its quite hard to tell coz I didn't clock the trip which I should've done. I previously had a 2019 A5 S line, 150bhp.
£54 to fill, standard feul. 340 miles, lasts forever. Maybe 6 weeks...

The new beast, £74 to fill, but that's with Shells best feul.
Actually thinking about it, it's not that shocking. The Mrs pointed out in my last car it was a cruser, always in comfort, never putting my foot down, so i guess I am driving intirely different now.
Here's a pic of what's left. It may even prove to be reasonable
20210425 130242

If you’re planning on removing OPF then yes it will need to have a remap, if you don’t mess with the OPF then I’m sure you can upgrade the exhaust with no issues, although still not sure how much better the sound will be?

I went stage 1 6 months after buying the car new and best thing I could have done, added performance was great but the extra sound with pops/burbles was my main goal and makes it 10x better!

Understand reservations with warranty but I wanted to enjoy the car now and not wait 3 years, if you get a decent company to map it and look after the car then you shouldn’t have any issues hopefully.

Interested to hear your feedback from Miltek and any information on added sound as I’d welcome anything a bit deeper sounding, although spending £1,500 to only get minimal sound seems a bit much.

If you’re planning on removing OPF then yes it will need to have a remap, if you don’t mess with the OPF then I’m sure you can upgrade the exhaust with no issues, although still not sure how much better the sound will be?

I went stage 1 6 months after buying the car new and best thing I could have done, added performance was great but the extra sound with pops/burbles was my main goal and makes it 10x better!

Understand reservations with warranty but I wanted to enjoy the car now and not wait 3 years, if you get a decent company to map it and look after the car then you shouldn’t have any issues hopefully.

Interested to hear your feedback from Miltek and any information on added sound as I’d welcome anything a bit deeper sounding, although spending £1,500 to only get minimal sound seems a bit much.
Yo Riko
I hear you man. The last thing I want to do, or can afford to do, is sink more cash into the wrong thing.
So how much is a top teir remapping stage 1?
And can you remap with an opf in tact? That seems impractical to me, surely you'd have to lose that aswell?

Yo Riko
I hear you man. The last thing I want to do, or can afford to do, is sink more cash into the wrong thing.
So how much is a top teir remapping stage 1?
And can you remap with an opf in tact? That seems impractical to me, surely you'd have to lose that aswell?
Think you’re looking around £600-700 for a stage 1 from a reputable tuner.

No problem with keeping OPF as tuners have been offering this now for a year or so, although yes the power increase is slightly down on the pre-OPF due to the restriction.