RS3 Opinions

OFFSKEE

Reaction score
Hi All,
What is the general opinion all things considered on the RS3 ?

Just playing with the idea of a future purchase. Currently im driving a remapped stage 2 2.0 TT.

Any thoughts welcome ;)

I've both and love 'em both but the RS3 is a different animal to the 2.0TT: go try one...

Not so far away if I can help...

And trust MBK…

Reactions: MBK and Sandra
I traded up from a (stock) TTS to the RS3 and I'm glad that I did. In a straight line the RS3 monsters the TTS. Through bends there is more body movement with the RS3, but once you ditch the terrible Conti tyres Audi put on the car and get some decent ones it sticks like a limpet so is comparable. If you are trading from a FWD TT then I think you will find the combination of power and quattro a revelation.

And the RS3 is the most fuel efficient car I have ever had on motorway journeys (jointly as good as the TTS), is more comfortable and more practical to boot.

One of the big differences between the RS3 and a TT as an ownership prospect is the stealth nature of the car, which might be a positive or negative depending on your personal perspective. Only people who know their cars tend to spot the RS3, whilst most people recognise the TT as a good looking and desirable car.

Reactions: MBK and 45bvtc
Get a TTRS if you dont need the extra space? 150kg lighter than the rs3

One of the big differences between the RS3 and a TT as an ownership prospect is the stealth nature of the car

So TRUE: pull the badges and it's almost invisible... a proper Q-car!

What a LAUGH the RS3 is!

Reactions: T-800
Great write up MBK. Did you fit the larger Pilots on the front, the 255 size? I think

Great write up MBK. Did you fit the larger Pilots on the front, the 255 size? I think

No I have the 235 MPSS fronts and still the 225 rear although I think it would be better just to go 235 all round I can't see how it would make much difference to the balance. The 255s require the bigger wheels too and that is expensive. John 45bvtc has them though so he can tell you more. From the tests I've read they make the RS3 even more of an incredible grip monster when it's wet!

Reactions: 45bvtc
Hi OFFSKEE, I've had 2 S3's (1 white sportback & 1 Silver 3 door) both were re-mapped so I wasn't expecting big things from the RS3, boy oh boy I was proved wrong !!
I struggled to justify the extra money before I bought one, but you only live once, the engine note when accelerating is justification alone !!
It took a while for me to find one with the right spec, but I eventually did and it was worth the wait !! Yes you'll get the nay Sayers who slag it off because its long in the tooth blah blah blah !! Who cares ? Test drive it and you'll see
As john says a proper Q car and it does get attention from those in the know.

Reactions: 45bvtc
19" x 8.5 j with 255 x 30 x 19" on the front only £1400 for the 2 from alloy wheels direct I think eh John ? (oem wheels as well)

Reactions: boozyjay and 45bvtc
Hi OFFSKEE, I've had 2 S3's (1 white sportback & 1 Silver 3 door) both were re-mapped so I wasn't expecting big things from the RS3, boy oh boy I was proved wrong !!
I struggled to justify the extra money before I bought one, but you only live once, the engine note when accelerating is justification alone !!
It took a while for me to find one with the right spec, but I eventually did and it was worth the wait !! Yes you'll get the nay Sayers who slag it off because its long in the tooth blah blah blah !! Who cares ? Test drive it and you'll see
As john says a proper Q car and it does get attention from those in the know.

And it was you that needed persuading to purchase that Misano beast! So pleased for you!!!

And yes, I'm on 19 x 8.5J with 255 x 30s on the front and 19 x 8.0J with 235 x 35s on the rear - and still on Continentals! NO worries for me with the Conti's for 'interesting' roadwork!

Did Ruthin Castle for lunch last Tuesday in the RS3 followed by a double trip (wet/dry/wet) around the EVO triangle; the anti-clockwise route felt best for Bluey and me: but the run from Ruthin to Cerrigydrudion is just awesome!

But a fast run to Wells-next-the-Sea for lunch in the TT last Thursday (roof down @34ºC) was good too.

Just enjoy - whatever your driving…

Reactions: CarrG and MBK
The RS3 is a superb car, the only thing I could fault it for is the driving position, I'm 6'1 and wasn't keen on how high the position was (I had comfort seats).

i will reiterate the mpg, I'm currently averaging 18mpg in my new RS5, 10mpg down on the 3 :(

Mind you, it's worth it for the V8 howl :)

The RS3 is a superb car, the only thing I could fault it for is the driving position, I'm 6'1 and wasn't keen on how high the position was (I had comfort seats).

i will reiterate the mpg, I'm currently averaging 18mpg in my new RS5, 10mpg down on the 3 :(

Mind you, it's worth it for the V8 howl :)

I remember you saying this the first time and i never commented. I still don't get it, i'm 6'4" and don't have any problems what so ever with driving position.
The only time i struggled was when i did a run on the 1/4 mile and had to wear a helmet in the car, this mean't i had to slouch a little to fit!

Reactions: CarrG
I wasn't too big for the car by any means, I just wasn't keen on the actual driving position in the A3, my Mum had a Golf GTI which was much better. It's a personal thing mate, I came from a long line of coupe's and just couldn't really get used to it.

Reactions: Mr_Freeze
I remember you saying this the first time and i never commented. I still don't get it, i'm 6'4" and don't have any problems what so ever with driving position.
The only time i struggled was when i did a run on the 1/4 mile and had to wear a helmet in the car, this mean't i had to slouch a little to fit!

I'm 6'2 and having tried the comfort std seats and having the buckets you can sit alot lower with the buckets. More behind the wheel. :)

Yes, the buckets are lower, but I'm not keen on Audi buckets full stop so didn't go for them.

It's the only complaint I had about the RS3, and didn't stop me buying it :)