RS3 Purchase advise - What to look out for.

Somniac

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking at buying a second hand (obviously) RS3. I was hoping you guys/girls could advise me on what to look out for, to avoid issues. I've seen threads about brake squeal problems and required software updates but due to the dates on them I'm not sure what the current position is on these. If I bought a late 2012 RS3 would all of the early problems already be sorted ? If not how do I determine whether they have been done or not. Any other tips would also be appreciated. Thanks.

NONE of the so called 'issues' reported are insolvable Somniac: the brake squeal issue is/was pathetic with Audi eventually solving the issue with a 'Panzer', anyway, all cars will/should have been 'upgraded' free of charge to the owner/user.

We're now changing a front offside wheel-arch duct that's really givin' me a headache as to the reasons why - and if Martin Sander hadn't escaped to the US I'd be on his back asking...

What other problems are there? NONE! The only ongoing issues are tyres, and that depending on use: some change to a different manufacturer (Goodyear F1) with good feedback, others REALLY don't!

Me and mine are still with the original Continentals and we're content.

Go buy an RS3 Somniac and then take it to a 'reputable' Audi dealer and have them check the upgrades applicable/available for whichever car you purchase...

THEN GO enjoy a fabulous motorcar...

Oh, there's a squeaky passenger seat for those with 'racing' style seats, but there's an Audi update for that too.

I'm in Staffordshire, feel free to come and talk Audi RS3 whenever, I'm sure others here will offer the same.

Reactions: T-800, 8PARSY, DAYTONA 500 and 1 other person
45bvtc, thanks for the feedback. Well, the deposit is down and now I know what questions to ask before I sign on the dotted line. Thanks again.

Reactions: 45bvtc
Somniac, the car is great, go get it. Any links to what your chasing? Only reason i ask, if you let us look, someone on here might know its history. Its a very small world these days. Just be wary of damaged repairables!

As John says nothing at all mechanical to worry about. I'm in the upgrade the tyres to Michelin Pilot Super Sport or Goodyear F1 camp though - best upgrade you can buy for the money on the RS3. In any case check the front tyre tread depth, if you like to get a move on (and why else would you be buying an RS3) they go through tyres quite quickly. If the dealer tries the "but there is still 3mm" trick ask for a new set of fronts at least.

A couple of things I'd check for on the cosmetic side. Curbed alloys - the rim is diamond cut so they cost about £110-150 to repair and only a few places can do this. I'd as the dealer to sort this out before sale. Also check the front flared arches for stone chips, being stuck out wide they are susceptible to chips (this isn't just an RS3 problem Scoobies etc used to be the same) again get them checked.

Other than that enjoy, great choice.

Reactions: T-800 and 45bvtc
Somniac, the car is great, go get it. Any links to what your chasing? Only reason i ask, if you let us look, someone on here might know its history. Its a very small world these days. Just be wary of damaged repairables!
It would be useful to know its history if anybody has any info on it. The links to it on teh audi and autotrader sites disappeared soon after I put the deposit down Edited :- All links have all disappeared - its almost like the car doesn't exist

Last edited:
As the others have already said pretty rock solid piece of kit, brake update a must plus any software updates, also winter tyres transform it into a go anywhere vehicle ( as I'm sure john will testify )

mine does have a creaky bucket seat but it's going into Audi in January to be fixed.

Above all just enjoy it for what it is.

Oh and it runs much better on Shell V-power nitro.

as said there rock solid, just avoid the 4 or so that have been crashed (pics are about) and my old white one RV61 which has a new engine :p

Looks like Audi are pretty quick to take down all links to their advertised cars once you put a deposit down - they have all gone. Anyway - its Misano red, bog standard as far as I can tell - standard seats, DVD SatNav etc, but that doesn't worry me as all I'm interested in is the chassis, engine and gearbox. As far as I'm concerned any added extras like leather, SatNavs etc are an added bonus (you can tell I'm a first time Audi buyer). So, the deed is done. I signed for it today and pick it up next Saturday. Now all I've got to do is tell the missus that she's not getting any Christmas presents this year :)

Reactions: L1ARR and T-800
Check "cached" pages if you want to find it, they should still be present. Enjoy the RS3 mate, 'tis a damn fine car.

Check "cached" pages if you want to find it, they should still be present. Enjoy the RS3 mate, 'tis a damn fine car.
To be honest now I've signed on the dotted line and I'm commited to the purchase I don't think I want to know it's history (why I posted the first link). I'll just have to take it for what it is (good or bad). From what you guys have said about the RS3s it should be an exciting first few weeks one way or another.

To be honest now I've signed on the dotted line and I'm commited to the purchase I don't think I want to know it's history (why I posted the first link). I'll just have to take it for what it is (good or bad). From what you guys have said about the RS3s it should be an exciting first few weeks one way or another.
Theres been 2 crashed missano's an OY11 HVV press car and one thats got the wrong front grill AK61 AOT (its part silver pack part black trim pack, and it acquired roof rails at some point)

Attachments

• 11165502_9X.jpg
    11165502_9X.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 522
  • crashed AK61 AOT.jpg
    crashed AK61 AOT.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:
Theres been 2 crashed missano's an OY11 HVV press car and one thats got the wrong front grill AK61 AOT (its part silver pack part black trim pack, and it acquired roof rails at some point)
AK61 AOT has been bought by a member on "the" other forum. Black one crashed, plus a Daytona Grey broken into and trashed, has the wrong seats fitted.

AK61 AOT has been bought by a member on "the" other forum. Black one crashed, plus a Daytona Grey broken into and trashed, has the wrong seats fitted.
the black one

Attachments

• 16997513_1X.JPG
    16997513_1X.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 716
Reactions: Moschops
the other red one

Attachments

• $(KGrHqNHJE4FHOnhnBdWBRz-5GIy1!~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqNHJE4FHOnhnBdWBRz-5GIy1!~~60_57.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 586
Advice: Go get it..... NOW! lol!

Had mine just over a month and other than a unfortunate tyre blowout, what a fantastic all round package it is! Effortless power, traction and practicality... Oh and your be smiling everytime your in it? What more do you want? haha!

Enjoy mate,

Mal

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus and 45bvtc
hi everyone . i have wanted a rs3 for well over a year now . and was looking to buy one around this time last year after selling my s3 . but with prices still being strong i ended up buying a 12 plate golf R anyway after a few months of owning the golf R i found it quiet soulless but the major factor in selling it was the rock hard ride on the 19s it did not have the active dampers unfortunately . so my question to the rs3 owners is how does the rs3 ride . also does the rs3 have the mag suspension as a option when buying new ? also how much is the tax on the rs3 . thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Last edited:
There was no mag-ride option for the RS3, but the car is widely held to be the best damped A3 derivative. The car certainly rides and handles well. I had mag-ride on my TTS and loved it (and would have had it on the RS3 if possible) but I'm very happy with the standard suspension.

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus, 45bvtc and MBK
thanks for the reply i had mag ride on the s3 and could not fault it . it was a massive shock when i moved on to the golf R with no active damping . comfort is of massive importance to me .

thanks for the reply i had mag ride on the s3 and could not fault it . it was a massive shock when i moved on to the golf R with no active damping . comfort is of massive importance to me .

If you're in the Staffordshire area then come sit and discuss/try even...

I run my RS3 tyre pressures (winter and summer wheels/tyres) at 39/37 (not the listed 41/39) and find the ride and wear across the tread difference is amazingly good.

As for the Audi/VW Mag ride, the RS3 gives a MEGA ride; and that's any day, any where... :yahoo:

Hi there

I so very nearly bought a golf R (even put £500 deposit down on one in Scotland) but after driving up in the Golf GTI to pick up the R was left very Disappointed, for me I found the DSG box in the one I test drove to be incredibly lazy !!! And considering the car only had 3000 miles on it, seemed very rattly inside !
Shame really as I'd always wanted one as well, it just didn't go as well as the re-mapped MK6 Golf GTI we had at the time.

However several Audi's later and I took the plunge for the Misano RS3, all I can say is the RS3 doesn't disappoint !!!!
And you can always change the front wheels for 8.5j 255/30/19 they also improve the handling no end, along with different tyres as others have suggested, although I have found the Conti's fine for how I use it.

if memory serves I think the road tax is £270/280 can't remember which ! And I think that's good considering the performance on tap.

I came from a Golf R (with 19"' Tallys' and no adaptive chassis control) to the RS3. I find the RS3 ride a fair bit comfier overall ... less harsh and certainly less "crashy" over potholes etc than the R. However it still quite firm !

The RS3's handling is not as good as the R though IMHO .. the RS3 feels a fair bit more "front heavy" and understeery .. however you get used to a different driving style after a while (slow in .. fast out), and the handling is improved with better tyres.

Insurance and tax with the RS3 are no more than the R. In fact I reckon the insurance may be even slightly cheaper ... it really is a bargain for the performance. My overall MPG is slightly lower in the RS3 (24-25mpg vs 26-27mpg). However all in all, the running costs for the RS3 are excellent for the performance.

The big plus points for the RS3 is the engine and 7-speed S-tronic box, which are in a different league to the Golf. They are perfectly suited in the RS3 with it's low down torque. Whereas in the Golf, D -mode changed up way too early and S-mode was just too manic, and having driven the RS3 for a year now, I realise now how much worse the combo was in the Golf R.

Hi there
However several Audi's later and I took the plunge for the Misano RS3, all I can say is the RS3 doesn't disappoint !!!!
And you can always change the front wheels for 8.5j 255/30/19 they also improve the handling no end, along with different tyres as others have suggested, although I have found the Conti's fine for how I use it.

Yes, I have done this now and as reported by others front end grip is better with less understeer. The ride is certainly no worse either , perhaps a touch better. I still have the original 255 Contis on these, so can't wait to try some other tyres (Michelin Pilot Supersports or Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics the usual faves) ... but I'm also tempted with Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas too..they aren't reviewed much these days but past reviews rated them very highly ... good value too.

thanks for all the replys . i think i have spoke to you before jonnyG over on the golf R forum . i was going to order a new s3 sportback but i am in two minds . its the 2.5 5 pot that it drawing me and the fact you can get over 400 bhp pretty easy is a big positive .