Rs3 recall and update

Sticks

Reaction score
Hi guys , just been down to Audi about a separate issue with my car and I thought id share this extra info with u lot,
There is a rs3 recall regarding squeaky brakes available also a software update

Happy motoring

Nice one Sticks. I've just written to Stafford Audi, with whom I discussed my own brake squeal issue in February this year - before I resolved the problem myself. I will post their reply.

So what happens regarding these recalls, mate? Do we take cars back and have work done? (ie copper slip brakes!?)

For me Quattro81, I'm asking Audi. If they say I've not got a problem, having Copperslipped my pads, then I'm content with that as my brakes are amazingly good (probably the best I've ever experienced on a road car) - and quiet.

However, the software update is an interesting one.

Anyway, I'm 30-days away from my first oil change so my RS3 will be going in anyway.

Yer guys just pop in your local Audi , I think you maybe without car for the day so just ring them first and book in, I know one of the updates is regarding a noise on cold start up and a few other bits , As for the brakes recall I'm sure alot of people will be happy as I've seen loads posted about this brake squeal especially on the ttrs ,
roll on Monday

Just took my RS3 in regarding my annoying brake squeal. I was told it is normal with the type of brakes fitted to the RS3. They said my car also had a recall for the air intake. So they have done this. Not too sure why it was required. Whether it fixes the issue of having to run the engine for an extra few mins after a long drive, I have yet to find out. My local Audi will also contact me with regard the software update. Apparently this is not on their Server so I will have to come back in for this. They will do this the same time when my RS3 mats come in which they have ordered which I should have got months ago. So these will be done at the same time.

As the young lass on the service centre was very beautiful & said she loved driving my car round from the back of the car showroom, I couldn't resist a little flirting and inviting her for a drive sometime. :cool:

Reactions: robbiemac
I think the brake recall is to add the vents and allow cooling to the brakes. Nothing to do with having to let the engine run after a long drive. The most of a cool down mine gets is a mile or so at 30mph once i leave the dual carriageway and get home which is sufficient however its been driven.

Dont care what Audi tell you but the brakes squealing like an old bus isnt normal. If there is indeed a recall for it i'll be straight in.

Tell me you havent paid £450 for the officlal matts? I'm running a group buy for them on the rs3 forum at the minute for £43 delivered !

I think the brake recall is to add the vents and allow cooling to the brakes. Nothing to do with having to let the engine run after a long drive. The most of a cool down mine gets is a mile or so at 30mph once i leave the dual carriageway and get home which is sufficient however its been driven.

Dont care what Audi tell you but the brakes squealing like an old bus isnt normal. If there is indeed a recall for it i'll be straight in.

Tell me you havent paid £450 for the officlal matts? I'm running a group buy for them on the rs3 forum at the minute for £43 delivered !

Please guys, this (front brake squeal) issue is not difficult to resolve: you just need to remove the brake pads, apply Copperslip, and refit.

Your local garage could do it for you; it doesn't have to be an Audi garage. You can do it. I have done it, successfully: 45-minutes of effort did both sides.

The most difficult issue on my car was the removal of the pads from the caliper - which is most probably the cause of the squeal/vibration anyway - as all four pads on my car were fast in the caliper, and had to be gently persuaded out.

However, if you do have front brake squeal, and you don't like it, then do something about it, please! The RS3 is far too good a piece of machinery to be bothered by something so easily rectified!

Please guys, this (front brake squeal) issue is not difficult to resolve: you just need to remove the brake pads, apply Copperslip, and refit.

Your local garage could do it for you; it doesn't have to be an Audi garage. You can do it. I have done it, successfully: 45-minutes of effort did both sides.

The most difficult issue on my car was the removal of the pads from the caliper - which is most probably the cause of the squeal/vibration anyway - as all four pads on my car were fast in the caliper, and had to be gently persuaded out.

However, if you do have front brake squeal, and you don't like it, then do something about it, please! The RS3 is far too good a piece of machinery to be bothered by something so easily rectified!

Agreed, mine will be booked in as i dont see why i should rectify something that Audi can.

I was told Audi's experience technician checked my brakes and found no problems. Since I have got it back it has been ok. No brake squeal as yet. Although I didn't mention the Copperslip I did say that other owners had to add stuff to their brakes but I was told not to worry.

With regards the matts when I ordered my RS3 the deal was that would give me them free if I gave my sales rep 100% satisfaction on the feedback form. This was witnessed by my dad. This was the words of their Finance Manager when selling me the Diamond Alloy insurance.

If they do try to get me to pay then I am going to kick off big style, as when I was talking to Northampton Audi at AIP that told me that my Audi shouldn't make promises to customers that they cannot keep. The Sales Manager has authorised the ordering of these mats after the person in servicing spoke to the sales rep who originally dealt with me. This was probably because I had asked to speak to the Sales Manager as I was not happy that I was persuaded to give there rep 100% satisfaction for free RS matts, not even get any, but even had to basically lie to get the matts so the guy could get his commission.

If this does happen again I problem will go to a local garage mainly because I do not have the skills to do it myself. I have no space in my garage to swing a cat never mind change a tire. I cannot use the drive as it is not flat, also I have no useful proper jack eg. a dolly jack? I have not light and definately no power in the garage. I have also never removed brake pads or calipers and I do not want to start on an expensive car like mine. It might not be difficult for most people here but for me it is the complete opposite when I have problems with manual dexterity. So nuts, bolts & screws are a pain in the backside at times.

I was told Audi's experience technician checked my brakes and found no problems. Since I have got it back it has been ok. No brake squeal as yet. Although I didn't mention the Copperslip I did say that other owners had to add stuff to their brakes but I was told not to worry.

With regards the matts when I ordered my RS3 the deal was that would give me them free if I gave my sales rep 100% satisfaction on the feedback form. This was witnessed by my dad. This was the words of their Finance Manager when selling me the Diamond Alloy insurance.

If they do try to get me to pay then I am going to kick off big style, as when I was talking to Northampton Audi at AIP that told me that my Audi shouldn't make promises to customers that they cannot keep. The Sales Manager has authorised the ordering of these mats after the person in servicing spoke to the sales rep who originally dealt with me. This was probably because I had asked to speak to the Sales Manager as I was not happy that I was persuaded to give there rep 100% satisfaction for free RS matts, not even get any, but even had to basically lie to get the matts so the guy could get his commission.

Audi make great cars, however their sales process is terrible! If anyone want an example of this, head over here for an example of a few issues I had!

The RS3 is far too good a piece of machinery to be bothered by something so easily rectified!

What's the point in having a warranty then. When I bought my new car 6 months ago it's been in to the garage twice for niff naff and trivial stuff. Why should I fix it when the technicians get paid for it and your paying for the waranty.

Reactions: Riot
Hello All - New here with new RS3 last month.

Took delivery 22.10.12, went back to the dealer (Watford) with brake squeal in traffic @ 250miles. They told me they had striped, cleaned and refitted brakes - with a substance that was not copperslip - I got 1/4 mile from the dealer and it started again - all be it not as loud. The very helpful tech said he would raise it as an issue with the factory. Spoke to him today and he said that Audi where acknowledging it as a problem. He did not know what they where going to do or mention any kind of mileage limit.

D

Hi, to everyone. Have been driving around with my new RS3 for couple of days now and I seem to be having the same problem - squeaking brakes - as You, guys. Actually, just before I got my hands on the vehicle Audi sales rep mentioned they've just replaced pads and skids. Rrr. (4500km or 2900mi on the dial)

Should I take it back and ask for another set of pads and skids (though we all know it probably won't help :)?

Thanks!

P.

Hi, to everyone. Have been driving around with my new RS3 for couple of days now and I seem to be having the same problem - squeaking brakes - as You, guys. Actually, just before I got my hands on the vehicle Audi sales rep mentioned they've just replaced pads and skids. Rrr. (4500km or 2900mi on the dial)

Should I take it back and ask for another set of pads and skids (though we all know it probably won't help :)?

Thanks!

P.

AGAIN: my brakes don’t squeal anymore, and it was/is such an EASY resolution, I kid you not! See previous posts.

Just to be pro-active on this brake issue: I have this morning spoken to Audi Customer Services (0800 699 8888) and logged both the issue and its/my resolution. I was told (by Mr. Hassan Hanit of Audi Customer Services) that the issue would be fed back to Audi (Germany).

I’ve also sent the link to this listing to Audi Customer Services, so that they can see both the issue itself and the various reactions to it by Audi here in the UK.

Last edited:
Is this post now done?

Looking at recent posts 'Owners with brake squeal please register... included', I conclude that:

1) There is NO software update for the RS3

2) The only brake update for the RS3 is to the offside front air duct

Note: I am told that the TTRS had both the brake duct and brake pad change?

3) The brake squeal is just brake squeal that Audi claim is 'normal'

Note: I am told that Audi may 'be looking into the cause of the brake squeal' though with the low number of RS3s in the UK they may not provide an update. Plus, I've not seen a specific notification from Audi suggesting an update.

Posting closed then, I guess.

Happy New Year to all

AGAIN: my brakes don’t squeal anymore, and it was/is such an EASY resolution, I kid you not! See previous posts.

Just to be pro-active on this brake issue: I have this morning spoken to Audi Customer Services (0800 699 8888) and logged both the issue and its/my resolution. I was told (by Mr. Hassan Hanit of Audi Customer Services) that the issue would be fed back to Audi (Germany).

I’ve also sent the link to this listing to Audi Customer Services, so that they can see both the issue itself and the various reactions to it by Audi here in the UK.

????????

i had a software update maybe your car didnt need it ,also the brake duct update and watever else they done which cured my squeak months back

i hear now there is 3 more new ones availble if your car needs it of course,
1 fuel pump
2 cold start
3 dsg

wen i get a chance shes going in as my cabin noise sensor is fecked and most of the time it takes 2 turns to start her up maybe coilpack issue or ?

happy new year

The service manager at Vindis Audi in Bedford has just called me. He has recd a response from Audi that they are aware of the problem and are giving it "high priority". He says he'll call them in a month if he's heard nothing by then. I must say he's been very good. Oddly, since he sat in the car, the noise has stopped (it made the noise as i pulled up to their forecourt, but not when i took him out in it!). I realise this post adds little new info, but with my car it made the noise from about 3k miles to 3.5k but for the last few hundred miles the brakes have been completely silent. 300 miles isn't much, but the driving was varied as were the weather conditions etc. (of course having said that, i know what's going to happen next time i use the car.....). Cheers, Nick

Update from Estonian Audi dealer.

After approving their initial offer having new pads and discs by early spring, I decided to categorically reject it - break squeaking took astronomical measures with -15c. Audi called me back after Christmas suggesting some alternative pads, but don't know the exact date when the implementation will happen.

Ironically, having said that, I can vouch for nickbb - 4-5 days ago my breaks have stopped squeaking almost completely although I think it may be due to warmer weather (currently +2c). Breaks also seem to squeak little less when raining or snowing.

Current mileage: 6600 km (4100 miles)

Update from Estonian Audi dealer.

After approving their initial offer having new pads and discs by early spring, I decided to categorically reject it - break squeaking took astronomical measures with -15c. Audi called me back after Christmas suggesting some alternative pads, but don't know the exact date when the implementation will happen.

Ironically, having said that, I can vouch for nickbb - 4-5 days ago my breaks have stopped squeaking almost completely although I think it may be due to warmer weather (currently +2c). Breaks also seem to squeak little less when raining or snowing.

Current mileage: 6600 km (4100 miles)

BUT it IS worse in dry conditions...

Take a look at post #94 in elton121272's "Owners with - brake squeal - please register your frustrations HERE!" where JonnyG clearly states:

The conditions for the squeal are
1) Dry roads
2) 5mph to 0mph only (i.e. the very last few metres before stopping)
3) Cold (but dry weather) seems to make it worse.
4) It takes about 10-15 minutes of driving before it starts (i.e. it doesn't squeal straight away from a cold start in the morning, but will be squealing consistently at every stop fifteen minutes later).

And monkeyboy-marcus's post #44 who's video clearly and brilliantly demonstrates brake-squeal in dry conditions; as does JonnyG's car park demonstration.

I believe it's the wet/high-density air conditions created by driving over wet roads that dampens/suppresses the harshness of the piston-to-pad contact and it is that induced vibration that you hear and we all call brake-squeal!

At higher rotational brake disc speeds the vibrations created are still there but are at a different frequency and are therefore not heard, but they are still there...

BUT it IS the vibrations caused and heard from 5 to 0-mph that IS the annoyance.

Posts: "RS3 recall and update" and "Owners with - brake squeal - please register your frustrations HERE!"

A Customer Relations Manager within the Audi UK Executive Office has requested details of my applied brake-squeal fix, see post #129: "Owners with - brake squeal - please register your frustrations HERE!" for details, maybe we'll be getting an Audi approved resolution, soon?

If you haven't complained already to Audi Customer Services to register a brake-squeal issue with your own car then you ought to do so today.

^45bvct - as everyone knows I've been on constant with Audi UK since November and at the turn of the year threaded a complete rejection following legal advice upon which I instructed them I was looking for a full refund. I did help them aggregate a 'deal' on numerous occasions and directed them to my thread highlighting your applied and currently satisfactory fix. I was also given feedback to the audio files I presented and frankly got verbal commentary that this was unacceptable and even an admission by a senior exec that he wouldn't drive a car with this 'noise like a banshee'.

Before instructing my lawyers to send a formal letter I agreed to await a formal written response by end of this week with their proposals and timings - which either way, putting a suitable timeline in writing to them can only further support any claim. They are in a tough spot which I sympathise with but frankly the resolution time is getting beyond me.

At envery least we should get new pads , corrected with fix, new discs and a courtesy service - tht would be a start for me.

Will keep everyone posted on developments.

Hi, just thought I'd add,

if you are going down the refund route you do not need a solicitor ,

just send them a letter stating the trade discription law and goods not fit for purpose,

just call consumer direct and they will act for you free, also if your car is on finance you have more law issues on your side ,you could simply drive your car back to the garage and reject it and your finance company will fight your corner.

Reactions: jmcnamee98
Hi, just thought I'd add,

if you are going down the refund route you do not need a solicitor ,

just send them a letter stating the trade discription law and goods not fit for purpose,

just call consumer direct and they will act for you free, also if your car is on finance you have more law issues on your side ,you could simply drive your car back to the garage and reject it and your finance company will fight your corner.

I mentioned this 4weeks ago,post 55 on the other thread........No Response

^45bvct - as everyone knows I've been on constant with Audi UK since November and at the turn of the year threaded a complete rejection following legal advice upon which I instructed them I was looking for a full refund. I did help them aggregate a 'deal' on numerous occasions and directed them to my thread highlighting your applied and currently satisfactory fix. I was also given feedback to the audio files I presented and frankly got verbal commentary that this was unacceptable and even an admission by a senior exec that he wouldn't drive a car with this 'noise like a banshee'.

Before instructing my lawyers to send a formal letter I agreed to await a formal written response by end of this week with their proposals and timings - which either way, putting a suitable timeline in writing to them can only further support any claim. They are in a tough spot which I sympathise with but frankly the resolution time is getting beyond me.

At envery least we should get new pads , corrected with fix, new discs and a courtesy service - tht would be a start for me.

Will keep everyone posted on developments.

Well, I finally called Audi customer services today. Previously all my correspondence has been with Coulsdon Audi, who have expressed frustration that their hands are tied until Germany authorises an official fix. Long and short of it was that they are aware of the issue, are working on a fix but will not issue an official response, or timescale until it has been thoroughly tested etc. In the meantime they appreciate the frustration this causes but cannot provide any further information. I mentioned the rumours about end 1st quarter 2013 but this was news to the representative, who went looking for an update but couldn't find anything new.

So it seems that choices are: live with it (not gonna happen, I hate driving the car when it is having a bad squeal day), wait for Audi to pull the finger out (been waiting since August), reject the car and lose money on depreciation/legal fees, or go down the 45bvct fix route. I'm thinking about wither of the latter two, and eyeing up a BMW 135i! Audi are gonna have to pull one amazing bunny out of the hat for me to consider another RS car, ever - thoroughly disillusioned by this experience.

Elton, I'd be very interested to hear what the formal written response is - more or less the same as was received by Martin Sander? I really hope not. You're probably doing so already but make sure you keep records of correspondence etc and ensure that it can be demonstrated that you have been reasonable throughout the process.

Posts: "RS3 recall and update" and "Owners with - brake squeal - please register your frustrations HERE!"

A Customer Relations Manager within the Audi UK Executive Office has requested details of my applied brake-squeal fix, see post #129: "Owners with - brake squeal - please register your frustrations HERE!" for details, maybe we'll be getting an Audi approved resolution, soon?

If you haven't complained already to Audi Customer Services to register a brake-squeal issue with your own car then you ought to do so today.

Contacted and complained today - very unsatisfied with "be patient, we understand you're frustrated" - *@§% off Audi, just sort it out.

Elton - How old is the car and whats the mileage?

Problem you have is the depreciation if over 6mths old. I went to reject after refusing for them to attempt a repair for the third time. But at 10mths old I'd lost 10k +

Elton - How old is the car and whats the mileage?

Problem you have is the depreciation if over 6mths old. I went to reject after refusing for them to attempt a repair for the third time. But at 10mths old I'd lost 10k +

My car is 9 months old on 12 plate with 5k on clock. Had problem recorded since 600 miles so if rejected I don't understand why you say you would loose lots of £'s - I'm not wanting them to buy back at market value mate but refund as per purchase price - just like you would expect with a new telly.....or at least provide a new replacement to similar spec!

My car is 9 months old on 12 plate with 5k on clock. Had problem recorded since 600 miles so if rejected I don't understand why you say you would loose lots of £'s - I'm not wanting them to buy back at market value mate but refund as per purchase price - just like you would expect with a new telly.....or at least provide a new replacement to similar spec!
I've also had a conversation about this with Coulsdon Audi and had the following comment in an email from their head of business "As we discussed, if the end March 2013 does not see a repair launched, I am happy to evaluate your vehicle and discuss a potential vehicle exchange or buyback. Of course, we would have to consider market values at that time, based on mileage, condition and age. We would look to do something favourable, given your ownership experience this far." The underlining was done by me to emphasise where the dealer expects to be coming from. I would hope not to get hammered on a buy back despite the depreciation, since this is not me selling the car back to the dealer but rejecting it as unfit for use. I doubt you'd get back exactly what you paid for it though...

Reject it...Trust me you will get nowhere near the purchase price even if you went small claims court.

Just going on the software update - just a theory. I have the MMI and the new IPhone 5 which although I do not know whether this worked before Audi ran this alleged software update as I only recently bought the phone. I have heard from my local Carphone Warehouse that a lady who came in for the Lightening Port to 30 pin adapter (not the cable), said her Iphone was only charging & would not play.
I can only put this down to not having the software updated, as mine worked straight away and I have not had any issues. Not that this is the only thing that it fixes, although there is still no fix for the German short postcodes in the Sat Nav. Well, I have not tested this yet, but I doubt this has been sorted. I guess there was some updates to the engine management software but I have no way of knowing this.

Just going on the software update - just a theory. I have the MMI and the new IPhone 5 which although I do not know whether this worked before Audi ran this alleged software update as I only recently bought the phone. I have heard from my local Carphone Warehouse that a lady who came in for the Lightening Port to 30 pin adapter (not the cable), said her Iphone was only charging & would not play.
I can only put this down to not having the software updated, as mine worked straight away and I have not had any issues. Not that this is the only thing that it fixes, although there is still no fix for the German short postcodes in the Sat Nav. Well, I have not tested this yet, but I doubt this has been sorted. I guess there was some updates to the engine management software but I have no way of knowing this.

hi m8, cant comment about the iphone 5 not intergrating properly ,my iphone 4s worked fine but since i upgraded to the 5 i havnt even bothered to get a firewire adaptor, with regards to the postcode search its not broken, audi havnt bought the postcode database rights from i think its royal mail ,my bmw's were the same but there was an aftermarket cheeky mod for the nav system which gave you full postcode plus complete speed camera database which i miss badly and im still looking for the rs3,one is available but is very limited.

my car is booked in next week for some warranty stuff and if i can extract any info re new updates etc i will let you guys know as usual

i did ask today about new rs3 release as i would have put a deposit down if it was a year away ,the sales manager on phone to audi at showroom said" the new s3 has just been released so it will be at minimum 2 years untill new rs3 is available .im sure the sales guys would of bit my arm off if it was coming sooner

hi guys,

just thought id update my previous post

my car went in yesterday,ive been given a nice new press tt to use,cant complain i could have earnt a fortune if i could cut hair

apparntly theres a few new updates been done and a few build issues fixed.I should be reunited with my ***** tomorrow so i will post up more info,

hi guys,

just thought id update my previous post

my car went in yesterday,ive been given a nice new press tt to use,cant complain i could have earnt a fortune if i could cut hair

apparntly theres a few new updates been done and a few build issues fixed.I should be reunited with my ***** tomorrow so i will post up more info,

What build issues Mate??

Hope its spot on for you when you collect. :)

hi ya guys,

picked my car up earlier sorry didnt realise bit*h was a naughty word so im gonna stick with CAR
,thought id have more info about some updates but it turns out "i think" my car didnt have any done,the tech working on my car rang me yesterday and i swear blind he said he performed some sort of fuel rail or fuel pump update and also a s tronic update and also reset my gear box ,i didnt see the tech who worked on my car as it was abit of a late one so maybe info has not been passed on etc but i might give audi a shout tomorrow.

so anyway ive been suffering from a metallic echo sound noise on start up which fades away ,
starting issues lately ive had to crank it twice when cold to get it started
some wind noise drivers side
bit of a sticky gear box 2nd to 3rd and vica versa.
radio had mind of its own re volume

the wind noise turned out to be my drivers door wasnt correctly fitted and needed to be refitted and adjusted

the gearbox has been reset and is relearning my driving (but tech said an update was also done)

volume problem was an over sensitive gala

as for the metallic noise and the poor starting the tech told me on the phone he believed it to be the fuel rail? over compensating for the fuel pump because i had a partially blocked fuel filter,audi removed and cleaned out the fuel system and replaced fuel filter and heres the shocker for me because alot of sediment was found!!! im shocked as i only stick that expensive shell vpower in

nearly forgot they also fitted a new o/s duct to brakes thats what it says on the sheet

i havnt been in a long enough drive yet to see if all faults have been ironed out,

very happy with the service i got at audi all went smooth ,lets just hope the wheels dont fall off tomorrow

Here's my front ducts now,

i can see now I've got a air duct both sides for the brakes

New one

25357917-4AF7-4C5D-9AFA-90AC7222E837-3895-00000708FC701EB1.jpg

Recall one

0EEF0576-9B73-4EC1-8E48-362F29332E35-3895-000007090D4D0ADD.jpg

Here's my front ducts now,

i can see now I've got a air duct both sides for the brakes
New one...this one on the drivers side is the updated/recalled version, the old one is solid with no holes drilled thorugh it.

25357917-4AF7-4C5D-9AFA-90AC7222E837-3895-00000708FC701EB1.jpg

Recall one, this side is the passenger side and is as it left the factory, the silver thing is the oil cooler and left open purposley to allow air to it.

0EEF0576-9B73-4EC1-8E48-362F29332E35-3895-000007090D4D0ADD.jpg

The update for the gearbox/DSG is optional. you will find that the car in Sport mode (selected through the gearbox) will now hold the gears longer and higher. I declined to have this done on mine.

Interesting, mine has the drilled offside vent and also has an update code in the service book. I will look it up when I get chance. What I find strange is all the talk of updates but they aren't really communicated to us unless we ask or report something.

Mine is in on the 25th for loss of coolant and a few other little niggles, maybe i will ask for a list of all updates then.

Thanks for the info!