• Yes

Votes: 27 62.8%
  • No

Votes: 16 37.2%

• Total voters
T

Tristan2

do I order the magride ride or not
I have it in my S3 Saloon,would I miss it?,it’s just the options have got to stop somewhere

I wanted it to make it softer ride. After test drive without it I was happy enough and dealer also said he felt it was better for track days

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

It’s not too crashy, on a bad road it’s damn firm but it’s alright. You really need to drive one without before making that kind of decision and give it a good drive on bad roads.

On smooth roads it’s spot on.

Depends really, do you ever drive your S3 in Comfort suspension? That’s the question.

It’s not too crashy, on a bad road it’s damn firm but it’s alright. You really need to drive one without before making that kind of decision and give it a good drive on bad roads.

On smooth roads it’s spot on.

Depends really, do you ever drive your S3 in Comfort suspension? That’s the question.

I always drive my S3 in auto on the suspension set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have it in my S3 Saloon,would I miss it?,it’s just the options have got to stop somewhere

Personally I wouldn't bother. If I do decide to order one, it won't be with Mag ride.

Reactions: Tristan2

Yes you will miss it, it’s one of the ‘must haves’ on any S3.

I'm going from 2008 BM 335d SE which came on run flats.The ride was so jarring I had to swap the tyres to conventional.This experience made me nervous of the standard non adjustable suspension on the RS3 so magnetic suspension was a must have for me.

Reactions: sve170
I always drive my S3 in auto on the suspension set up

You will find the ride very comparable, but on rough roads the RS3 with standard suspension is much harsher than Auto in the S3.

To the point after driving for half an hour on bumpy roads through the valleys (after a day of driving too) it made me turn to my girlfriend and say “this ride is f****** brutal”.

Really, test one.

It won’t stop you enjoying the car if you didn’t have it, you just need to weigh it up.

I have drove a RS3 sportback without magride and to be fair didn’t seem much in it to be honest

I have drove a RS3 sportback without magride and to be fair didn’t seem much in it to be honest

There’s your answer, you don’t need it :p

I am almost surprised how many people aren’t opting for it. Adjustable rate suspension is a good gimmick to tell your friends if nothing else ;)

Reactions: teslaboy
I've tried both. Not an option I rate unless you are planning weekly track days.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Tristan2
There’s your answer, you don’t need it :p

I am almost surprised how many people aren’t opting for it. Adjustable rate suspension is a good gimmick to tell your friends if nothing else ;)
Waste of a bag of sand. Saying that they have that sport pack now so it's a bit cheaper.
On another point I might keep mine longer than the 4yr PCP and 5yr warranty and mag ride is one thing I can definetly see failing in the future which won't be a cheap repair!

That’s my mind made up I will leave it off
Thanks Guys

Had a TTS with the older, two-stage mag ride and it was fine with over 90k miles done, so no worries about longevity from me. Moved to the 8P RS3 where it wasn’t an option; it was a must have for me personally on the 8V.

The RS3 is at least two cars in one, so to my mind mag ride is pretty essential to meet that brief as well as possible.

It’s certainly more relaxing to drive the 8V long distances in Comfort compared to the 8P.

Reactions: Evotion
With the audi sport pack you get the sports exhaust, mag ride and TPMS for £1700 - If you have already optioned the exhaust I would suggest just paying that extra 700 and selecting the pack.

I wasn’t going to select the mag ride or TPMS - I went for a short test drive and the RS3 felt fine to mine - firm but not too much - but I feel for the smallish increase it is worth it to have it as well.

Reactions: AudiNutta
I got it because I had to have it - paired with the louder exhaust.

I don’t think it’s a must have item at all & would happily have the standard suspension & a grand in the bank.

I'm going from 2008 BM 335d SE which came on run flats.The ride was so jarring I had to swap the tyres to conventional.This experience made me nervous of the standard non adjustable suspension on the RS3 so magnetic suspension was a must have for me.
I had the 335d - what a great car (especially after a map) but I swear you could feel it if you ran over an ant! A minor pothole felt like you had driven off the Hoover Dam and into the Grand Canyon! And in the snow - well, a sprinkle of white stuff and it was game over.

Reactions: evil_scooby
I got it because I had to have it - paired with the louder exhaust.

I don’t think it’s a must have item at all & would happily have the standard suspension & a grand in the bank.

What did you I have to have it? You can get the exhaust and not mag ride

Mind you, with the Sport Pack, you are getting Mag Ride and TPMS for £700....... It will help the residual too. Whether it will help by £700 or not is up for debate.

Reactions: Phil3
Mind you, with the Sport Pack, you are getting Mag Ride and TPMS for £700....... It will help the residual too. Whether it will help by £700 or not is up for debate.

I was in two minds about spec’ing it but with already going for the exhaust I thought I’ll go for it as soon as the Sport Pack was out there... nice little saving on the Mag Ride and TPMS together

Reactions: Evil Diesel
Funny that some markets have to pay considerable amounts extra for the non-mag/fixed suspension that they call sports suspension.

I had already specified the zaust and mag ride so the pack with tpms and a £300 saving was a little Brucie Bonus. Which I spent on the B&O. I was going to go for after market but thought ******** to it.

What did you I have to have it? You can get the exhaust and not mag ride
Snake has the PFL, could only get sports exhaust with mag ride as they came together.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Snake has the PFL, could only get sports exhaust with mag ride as they came together.

TX.

Cheers TX you beat me to it :)

Yeah ... with the pre FL, Audi had a load of mag ride parts not sold with S3 so thought of a great way to shift them:

They knew the loud exhaust was the ‘must have’ item on the RS3 so only way you could get it was as part of the then called ‘dynamic pack’ @ £1,800 notes.

They must have got rid of most of the stock now then if you can get the exhaust on it’s own lol :)

Put it this way, wife’s TT with 19” rims & S Line suspension feels more supple to me. The RS3 mag ride even in comfort is the hardest suspension I’ve had on a car. Got speed bumps on my estate & have to slow to a crawl to go over them in the RS3.

It’s fine on the road - but no better than regular RS suspension imo. Maybe if you did a lot of track work it would come into its own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bristle Hound and Phil3
Agreed we had to have mag ride as we needed that exhaust. Having been out in a FL with no mag ride the suspension was great so imho not sure you really need it.

TX.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
I agree, my RS3 with mag ride seems one hard riding car. I've tested it extensively over a particular road I drive on everyday, switching back and forth between dynamic and comfort, and can just about tell the difference. It takes the edges off the bumps, but it's not what I'd call comfortable.

Others swear by it. If I was to buy another, the only reason I'd contemplate speccing it would be for future resale, as it seems to be an option most people want.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
I think a lot of people think it’s a must have item as Audi have done such a good sell job on it so that is the perception.

In terms of resale or residual I don’t think it makes any difference .... who knows what it will cost to replace in a few years when it goes wrong too - compared to conventional regular suspension ?

A lot of good reply's here , haveing had it on my s3 when it came to spec the rs3 I thought it was a must have but the dealer kind of talked me out of having it so didn't spec it... now they have released the sport pack I feel like I'd be stupid not to have it for £700 as I've already chosen the sports exhaust. So put a phone call to my dealer to see if it could be added now after reading this thread I'm in two minds again

I’ve decided NOT to add it

I don’t quite get peoples argument about... ‘how much it will cost to replace in a few years’ for being the reason not to go for Mag Ride

Surely there are plenty of other options that have the potential to fail and will cost a lot to replace, but you’ve still spec’d them?!

Not ‘THE’ reason not to go for it - that is just a bi-product that it will likely be significantly more expensive to replace / repair than conventional suspension. So an added concern if you like. Plus suspension gets a lot more hammering than many other components.

Main reason is that it is not that great & certainly not worth a £grand !

Reactions: teslaboy, hyperbob and Phil3
I have magnetic ride . And It is essential for me.
I use it many times Bad roads and city driving in comfort. On fast roads and highway corners driving in dynamic

S3 sportback 2017 daytona

I wonder what the reason is behind some people not noticing a difference and others swearing by it.

Maybe it's in the settings... Ha, never tested it out.
If one has Mag Ride does it affect EVERY setting?
Or does it only come on in Auto mode? Or only in Comfort mode?

@Evotion magride only affects the suspension settings when you twirl through the driving modes. Those of us that have it have the option to alter suspension, those that don't don't.

TX.

I wonder what the reason is behind some people not noticing a difference and others swearing by it.

Maybe it's in the settings... Ha, never tested it out.
If one has Mag Ride does it affect EVERY setting?
Or does it only come on in Auto mode? Or only in Comfort mode?
What you never had you won't miss. Once you had it you can't miss

S3 sportback 2017 daytona

I had the wife in the backseat on the test drive (a last minute decision) and the Mag Ride paved the way for every other option I wanted to tick. Full value for money on that basis alone!

Reactions: Evotion
Went over some right ropey roads too - the like of which would have been generating complaints in the BMW for sure. At the end of the day, as a driver, you don't really feel the really punishing surfaces, therefore, you don't give a toss.

I am in the market for a facelift RS3 and test drove an RS3 Sportback at West London Audi last week, which had the standard RS suspension, and the ride quality was impressive. Thought the dampers really soaked up the bumps very well. I honestly couldn't see why I would spec mag ride when ordering. I asked the sales guys what they thought as they have test driven RS3's with and without mag ride and they told me comfort was on par with the ride quality of the standard suspension. and said not to bother with it. They also said when in dynamic it is hard.

The car handles fine around corners, yes its firm but not bone jarring at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Tristan2 and RGBARGEE