RS3 Saloon or Sportback

Vins

Sepang S3
Reaction score
As per the title, which do you prefer? There's been a lot of discussion on another thread and I hope to open this thread to gather thoughts and opinions!

RS3 PS

Reactions: seventeenapg, Snake Pliskin and AudiNutta
Sportback. Leave the saloon RS's to the larger models.

Reactions: crispynz1, billy.rt, Snake Pliskin and 4 others
Don't like the new front end, too much going on imho.

TX.

PS that's a pretty nasty photoshop of a potential F/L hatch!

Reactions: AudiNutta
Saloon.

That picture doesn't do it justice tbh.

Reactions: TurboBen
First time I've looked at SB and thought 'RS6's little brother'

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and jimojameso
Sedan all the way. This thread could be a poll.

Currently on my 3rd RS3 SB and had 2 S3 SB's previously so if I'm being honest I always thought when/if the RS3 saloon comes out in the U.K. then I would be a definite contender.

Now I'm not saying I'm not, but the SB is a real all rounder and ticks soooo many boxes and TBH the shots I've seen so far are not tickling my fancy the same way my first SB did, so at the moment I'm torn.

Thankfully we all have at least 18 months IMO to decide or 12 to order time-ish.

Personally I've always been drawn to being different and also the exclusivity the saloon will offer is appealing, not to mention the pony upgrade. Virtual dash, matrix headlights, etc....they are all swanky accessories but at the end of the day I'm not convinced of the body charisma and feel those arches, albeit bigger, need microscopic eyesight to verify that. The wheels could be better and WTF are buckets not in the launch car - Audi strategy across their range is why! Plain shots in the photlaumch just don't do it justice for me either - especially when on of the press cars are standard - go figure!!!

Yes it will be an awesome machine but when I think back that I ordered all my SB's without viewing, I feel before I make my mind up on this baby I will need to see her in the flesh.

And one thing is for sure...she WILL have brake squeal ;-)

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus
I think the hatch will sell more in the U.K. but I'm loving the saloon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like sedan/saloon but comparing it to a hatch the sedan doesn't have a chance in feelings, sound etc and with that I can't explain it more simplier than go for a testdrive first a sedan and than a hatch you will know what I mean. You have to pick a S3 of course and the same feeling I got with MB a45 amg compared to sedan, imazing how totally different they feels. I like hatchback even more today than when I bought it and the new sedan isn't going to change that.

I really do like the look of the saloon, but in those chops above of the SB it does look good. It is only a chop after all. I would prefer the all rounderness of the SB, but now finally in a position to buy the RS, if the saloon is first to market, then so be it.

Reactions: L1ARR
You see Craig that must be 90%!

Reactions: CraigI
When it boils down to it....The Sportback car was never a stunna....Handsome at best,its all about the engine....and noise....if you want looks go for the TTRS

Reactions: AudiNutta
Wow that picture really does paint a thousand words & the sportback completely blows the sedan away.

Sportback looks purposeful, muscular, aggressive & RS-esque .... that picture gives me confidence in getting a FL sportback in 2018 :sunglasses:

Wow that picture really does paint a thousand words & the sportback completely blows the sedan away.

Sportback looks purposeful, muscular, aggressive & RS-esque .... that picture gives me confidence in getting a FL sportback in 2018 :sunglasses:

Yes it will come but it's just waiting. I would guess they will both be launched at the same time so maybe this time next year.

Yes it will come but it's just waiting. I would guess they will both be launched at the same time so maybe this time next year.

Sedan may come first as it's been announced & been seen testing already ... but who knows with Audi ????

Sedan may come first as it's been announced & been seen testing already ... but who knows with Audi ????

They will have been testing the hatch somewhere in secret so I'm guessing it will be available at the same time.

They will have been testing the hatch somewhere in secret so I'm guessing it will be available at the same time

In secret :tearsofjoy:

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ComputerControlled and Snake Pliskin
In secret :tearsofjoy:

TX.

Here he is......making sure we don't talk about the new car. Shhhhhh don't say a word people 'tearsofjoy'

Reactions: CraigI
Here he is......making sure we don't talk about the new car. Shhhhhh don't say a word people 'tearsofjoy'

He he you know what, I'm warming to you RVP, but TX does have a pretty good point there... for Audi to test a car in 'secret', it would be verging on the major league ridiculous:tearsofjoy:
Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe their guys from HQ go on here... and are just planning on it being a big surprise, just to put all us proud 8V owners in our place:tongueclosed:

Reactions: Jassyo06
He he you know what, I'm warming to you RVP, but TX does have a pretty good point there... for Audi to test a car in 'secret', it would be verging on the major league ridiculous:tearsofjoy:
Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe their guys from HQ go on here... and are just planning on it being a big surprise, just to put all us proud 8V owners in our place:tongueclosed:

The feeling is mutual.......big brother is watching us all...including TX 'tearsofjoy'

All you have is a bad photoshop! Keep speculating though :tearsofjoy:

TX.

All you have is a bad photoshop! Keep speculating though :tearsofjoy:

TX.

It is a bad photoshop. And I very much doubt Audi are doing anything in secret. We have to look at the facts here, saloon coming up but there are no signs of the SB anytime soon.
You know what I think... forget about this new F/L model.
It's just so last year.
I'm thinking about the 2021 F/L F/L. That is going to be THE ONE.

Reactions: Terminator x
Saloon for me chaps, ill be ordering one on a couple of years when im finished with the S3 saloon

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Saloon for me chaps, ill be ordering one on a couple of years when im finished with the S3 saloon

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Same here....holding deposit recently placed and 3% discount secured in writing. The wait will be long but worth it.

Reactions: Craig Cull
Same here....holding deposit recently placed and 3% discount secured in writing. The wait will be long but worth it.

You put down a deposit for a car that doesn't exist and the dealer gave you a discount on the car.....FUBAR mate....... my son has taken 2 deposits both £5k for the RS3 saloon, and know for a fact he wouldn't accept a deposit for a Rs3 facelift sportback but hey ho.....it's your money mate

Reactions: Radman
3% discount on what value?!

TX.

The sportback is sort of unique in the RS range, petty as it sounds I've got a feeling the RS3 saloon will become an 'I couldn't afford an RS4' car kind of like the Porsche boxter of the range.

You put down a deposit for a car that doesn't exist and the dealer gave you a discount on the car.....FUBAR mate....... my son has taken 2 deposits both £5k for the RS3 saloon, and know for a fact he wouldn't accept a deposit for a Rs3 facelift sportback but hey ho.....it's your money mate

Err No............I put a £2k deposit on the saloon with 3% discount secured in writing.

Good to see that condescension is still rife on here!

SB all the way. I wouldn't buy this car in a sedan form. If I wanted a sedan I'd step up to an S6 or S5 Sportback.

Reactions: ComputerControlled
The sportback is sort of unique in the RS range, petty as it sounds I've got a feeling the RS3 saloon will become an 'I couldn't afford an RS4' car kind of like the Porsche boxter of the range.

What? This statement is utter nonsense.

I still laugh when I see 'tearsofjoy' WRITTEN at the end of a sentence!!
IMG 0953

Reactions: ComputerControlled and Terminator x