RS3 seats and seat height

Shadowman

Reaction score
Currently own a 2010 S3 SB with OE seats, but would love an RS3, however the seats in my S3 are awful, which could be a bit of a deal-breaker......so.......are the RS3 standard seats or the buckets any more comfortable, and almost more importantly are they any lower than the OE S3 seats, as to my mind you sit very high in the car, even when the seats are set as low as they can go.

I know some of you have come from S3's, so will know the answer.

Thanks

Buckets are allot better for the back, tbh even the electric lumbar standard seats are better than ones without tbh as I've tested & got all of the 3 types.

That's interesting about the lumbar support, thanks....How about the actual seat height.....are the S3 seats and the RS3 the same....I'm afraid they will be as presumably the seat rails are the same......it just feels like you sit 'on' the seats rather than 'in' them, and that spoils the driving position and the general 'feel' of the car for me.

The A3 has a high sitting position, the RS3 is no different sadly. I'm 6 feet 1 and find it fine, but my Mum has a 2007 Golf GTI which I will admit has a nicer driving position!

I didn't find the buckets any better, they just eat in to the interior more, and I couldn't see my 3 year old properly in the back with them :)

We went for the standard seats, we didn't want buckets at all; no apology to those who love 'em, they just weren't for us.

The standard seats are the lowest you can get, and that suits us just fine.

And, amazingly for me, I do not miss the adjustable lumbar - and I do suffer (we're both pensioners (LOL)) in poor seats.

No, the standard RS3 seats will do for me... and NO sagging in the seats!

any Sagging in other areas due to wear and tear.

it just feels like you sit 'on' the seats rather than 'in' them, and that spoils the driving position and the general 'feel' of the car for me.

I completely understand where you are coming from with the sitting on the seats rather than in them. My previous Mini Cooper S daily driver was guilty of this problem, there was no feedback through the seat.

I'd say try the RS3 with buckets and see how you get on. I find plenty of feedback through the buckets, as much as the Megane R26.R buckets and that had 6 point harnesses too (to be fair the R26.R had much better steering feel/feedback). I can understand people not wanting buckets but for me being clamped firmly in place is a must with a car like this. On track, or covering the ground swiftly, being held in place is worth a fair bit of time and more importantly confidence in knowing what the car is doing.

I can only describe the feedback I feel from the RS3 through the seats. Just yesterday I was pushing on in the wet and turned in to a right hander a bit quicker than usual, the front tyres stated to wash a little wide with understeer. It was through the bucket seats that I could feel the pitter patter of the front tyres losing grip and sliding. Getting back on the throttle to push some power to the rear it is again through the seat that you feel the traction transfer to the rear of the car. The RS3 gives a slight shimmy at this point as the chassis adjusts. Once you feel the push in the seat rather than the pull and tug through the wheel you know you can add more throttle, that settles the front tyres and pins you against the shoulder of the bucket seat and again rocket away. It's difficult to find words that really describe the experience but the RS3 is a car where you can feel the grip.

I feel like I'm sitting 'in' the bucket seat in the RS3 but I know that's a personal thing. When I say 'in' lets be clear it's not as direct an experience as say a Honda S2000 or a Westfield/Caterham. At the same time it's as good as any road/semi track car I've experienced like the Evo or R26.R.

No saggy bottom on my buckets to date, they have some fancy trim but as far as I know they are the same as any other RS3 bucket.

If the RS3 buckets are not to your liking try a new RS4 with the standard Super Sports seat, I thought they were the ideal compromise between standard seats and buckets, great for the road yet snug enough for the track.

Int6s.jpg

ive got standard non electric lidl seats ,they do the job and are very comfy,i dont know if their the same as the s3 seats

I think the problem is that I came from a B8 S4 with super sport seats, and they were sublime....really comfy, lovely seating position and held you securely as well as looking fantastic.

i guess I need to find an RS3 with the buckets and try it.

Thanks for all the responses guys....I really appreciate it.

I completely understand where you are coming from with the sitting on the seats rather than in them. My previous Mini Cooper S daily driver was guilty of this problem, there was no feedback through the seat.

I'd say try the RS3 with buckets and see how you get on. I find plenty of feedback through the buckets, as much as the Megane R26.R buckets and that had 6 point harnesses too (to be fair the R26.R had much better steering feel/feedback). I can understand people not wanting buckets but for me being clamped firmly in place is a must with a car like this. On track, or covering the ground swiftly, being held in place is worth a fair bit of time and more importantly confidence in knowing what the car is doing.

I can only describe the feedback I feel from the RS3 through the seats. Just yesterday I was pushing on in the wet and turned in to a right hander a bit quicker than usual, the front tyres stated to wash a little wide with understeer. It was through the bucket seats that I could feel the pitter patter of the front tyres losing grip and sliding. Getting back on the throttle to push some power to the rear it is again through the seat that you feel the traction transfer to the rear of the car. The RS3 gives a slight shimmy at this point as the chassis adjusts. Once you feel the push in the seat rather than the pull and tug through the wheel you know you can add more throttle, that settles the front tyres and pins you against the shoulder of the bucket seat and again rocket away. It's difficult to find words that really describe the experience but the RS3 is a car where you can feel the grip.

I feel like I'm sitting 'in' the bucket seat in the RS3 but I know that's a personal thing. When I say 'in' lets be clear it's not as direct an experience as say a Honda S2000 or a Westfield/Caterham. At the same time it's as good as any road/semi track car I've experienced like the Evo or R26.R.

No saggy bottom on my buckets to date, they have some fancy trim but as far as I know they are the same as any other RS3 bucket.

If the RS3 buckets are not to your liking try a new RS4 with the standard Super Sports seat, I thought they were the ideal compromise between standard seats and buckets, great for the road yet snug enough for the track.

Int6s.jpg

Love your trim, nice and different. Did Audi do this for you from the factory? Or did you have this done after purchasing the car.

I noticed this when going from a 2WD A3 to an S3 then RS3.
The floor is higher in quattro models due the drivetrain etc.
the boot is smaller / less deep in quattro models also.

I do love my bucket seats and find them lower than std elec seats.

Spending that sort of cash you must try both to be sure.

Love your trim, nice and different. Did Audi do this for you from the factory? Or did you have this done after purchasing the car.

Thanks, it's an Audi Exclusive trim from the factory, I imagine the aim was to match the exterior colour of the car. I bought the car lightly used so I didn't spec this but I liked it when I saw it, pictures don't really do it justice. My only real want was bucket seats and I wouldn't personally have spent the extra £2k or so for the exclusive trim but as a used buy it was an added bonus.