RS3 seats spec

Colin A

Reaction score
I am building a spec for an order of an RS3. Cant decide on standard seats or the supersport. If the latter will be going for the lunar silver option. Any views whether the supersport seats are worth the extra

I didn't think they were personally - they're only slightly taller than the standards seats in the shoulder area and have the added electric lumbar and quilted stitching. Nice but not for the price for me

I have speced them, I sat in them at the launch in London and found them to be very nice, they also look al ot better that standard seats IMHO and at £795, they are a heck of a lot cheaper that the optional buckets on the 8p RS3

If they are identical to the seats in my S5 then they are well worth the money.

Best seats I have had in any car - look great, extremely comfortable and very supportive.

I will certainly be speccing them for my RS3.

very cool :cool::icon thumright:

2016AudiRS3-25.jpg

2016AudiRS3-34.jpg

If they are identical to the seats in my S5 then they are well worth the money.

Best seats I have had in any car - look great, extremely comfortable and very supportive.

I will certainly be speccing them for my RS3.

Maybe a bit off topic but what is making you want to move from the S5 to the RS3? I'm interested because either could be my next choice. What's your view on the S5 in general?

Maybe a bit off topic but what is making you want to move from the S5 to the RS3? I'm interested because either could be my next choice. What's your view on the S5 in general?

The S5 is a superb car - that is fact !
By the time I change will have had 2.5 years so not changing early, will just be due a change.
Coming from a TT, then TTS I considered an S3 last time but was not out in time.
Looked at Merc AMG 45 but again not out.
Was sold straight away on the S5.
Power, luxury, coupe looks, generous spec, auto only, more practical, good price & deal .... it ticked all the boxes and love it.
The acceleration is amazing and on motorways its sublime.
The only negative is that it is heavy - you cannot throw this car around like a TT.
That's the trade off - but the many positives far away the one and only negative.
The RS3 I'm hoping will be the ideal car for me in every respect - plus never had an RS !

Thanks for all the views and especially the pics.. Think I have made my mind up to go with the supersport option:):)

I didn't go for the SS Seats, I wasn't sure I liked them so couldn't go for the extra £795, I also don't like the lunar so I guess its all personal opinion.

I think someone also mentioned on here about them limited the view from the rear passengers, wasn't really sure that bothered me as its my car obviously :)

Super sport seats here when I finally get round to speccing/ordering mine
Have buckets on my current RS 3 won't have them again

Want to see the car in the flesh first though.

I've got them in my new S3 - YES, don't even think about it, spec them!
The new RS3 SS seats are exactly the same as the ones in my car. Way better than the standard seats IMO. Usually the first thing people comment in as they sit in my car for the first time. The only negative I can find is that they adjust in a rather odd way, which makes it hard for some of us to find a comfortable driving position and they don't go down low enough for my liking, but that's only a minor gripe. You soon settle into them. I really expected them to be standard on the new RS3... of course the RS bucket seats will be available too, but at launch you can't order these and having seen the pictures of them, I'm not so sure they'll be that comfortable and of course, I bet they're silly money.

As to the S5? IMO one of the few S Audi's I would not want to own.

Last edited:
Have a read down the standard specifications for the RS3 on the Audi website. It says that electrically adjustable seats are standard - something which my dealer has taken up with Audi UK.

Did you hear anything about that?

Brochure says manual and heated seats as standard.
Website says electrically adjustable and heated seats as standard.

am waiting on my dealer; she has a query in with Audi UK, which I understand has now gone to Audi AG.

This is what I was refering to:
(complete with spolling mistoke)

Seats

So as it is false advertising, we should all get electronically adjustable seats thrown in for free to compensate...:think:

Reactions: RYuill
for those that have ordered - take it up with you dealer - misrepresentation of goods - it should be free!!

Having a rethink about having SSS..... I currently have standard seats with electronic adjustment which isn't an option on the SSS so with that in mind they work out a similar price.

So, I am trying to get somewhere that has an RS3 so I can see them, but have a couple of questions.....

Are the SSS deeper, and therefore reduce rear leg room?

Does the built in head rest reduce view... driver/front passenger looking back? and rear passenger looking forward?

Also I assume the quilt pattern on the rear seats is included when you have SSS and not standard.

I sat on a Cayenne diesel yesterday. The seats on the Cayenne were 200 times better than the SSS from Audi. Much more support everywhere. Not too hard, not too soft. Even the leather felt better. My brother's 2008 CLS has better seats. Any BMW M3 from the past have better seats. Audi have to change this seat ASAP. They just look good. And that's is it.
I reallly regret spending money with the SSS on my A5. It doesn't feel any different from my old Mk2 TT. Don't do it. Spend it elsewhere.

Super sport seats here when I finally get round to speccing/ordering mine
Have buckets on my current RS 3 won't have them again

Want to see the car in the flesh first though.

Tell me more about the bucket seats. Why don't you like 'em?

Those are proper sports seats. Seriously, Audi must redesign their sports seats. The competition is doing much better than them.

2011-porsche-cayenne-s-front-seats.jpg

Those are proper sports seats. Seriously, Audi must redesign their sports seats. The competition is doing much better than them.

2011-porsche-cayenne-s-front-seats.jpg
I think they are ugly!! Looks like a blow up seat cushion.

Reactions: AD & DK - Jones
As far as I know, the SSS have the same seat base as the regular seats, looking at the pictures above I actually thought it was just the standard seats until I saw the second picture. It's in the shoulder area where the SSS have more support, and of course the quilted design. I cannot see how the SSS will be more comfortable on your butt, when the actual seat squab is the same design and material.

I have lunar silver standard seats in my S3, they've been easy to keep clean and I really like that they lift the cabin colour wise so it's not just a black hole. My only complaint is the material feels pretty plasticky. The SSS in the S5 I had out as a demo had far superior material.

I don't personally think they are worth the extra £'s, unless they re-design them to look like @verttigo pic above ..

The SSS have a different base than the standard seats, the back curves downwards to meet the back of the seat, the side bolsters are larger and grip you more and the shoulder area is larger. I thought there wasn't much difference to the normal standard seats (that I have in my S3 8V) until I actually sat in the SSS in the RS3. I'll be spec'ing the SSS when it comes time to order.

I was also undecided on 'paying' for the super sports seats.

They are included as standard on the S5 so it grates a bit to have to 'pay' for them on an RS car.

After sampling them on my RS3 test drive I am sold on them - they felt even comfier than my S5 seats which are already the best seats I have had in a car.

Maybe its because in the RS3 there is no mechanism for the seat to fold forward for rear access, but they just felt more padded and supremely comfortable - plus they do add a nice touch visually to the interior.

So made my mind up - plus you get elec lumbar included with the SSS as standard so thats £200 of the cost.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
I did ask this question before and was informed that the seat base was the same, it was only the back of the seat that was different/more bolstered.

It's good to know that there is a difference. It's hard to tell from the pics above, as that seat base looks identical to the standard seat.

Personally I don't think there are worth the extra £, and needed to be deeper buckets or alcantara (so they actually grip) ..

Go sit in them and you'll notice they are more like a bucket seat on the base (compared to the standard seats).

Buckets are fine if you want to track your car and are taking corners at racing speeds !

For spirited day to day 'public road use' the Super Sport Seats make much more sense - for me anyway.

I had buckets in my RS3 and love them. I like the look of them and find them comfortable.

I'm not mad keen on the look of the new style bucket seats.

Reactions: L1ARR
The seating position is hugely important in this type of car (or it should be), and the RS3 has it wrong.
It's a RS, should have a better option than the S available.

Super Sports Seats are not low enough, not supportive enough for spirited driving, nor do they look great - I think they are starting to look a touch dated. On rather than in the car is how they feel.
I wouldn't bother with them, spend your cash on something else.

New TT seats look better (much fresher), are better positioned and give a more enjoyable driving experience because of that.

I expect the facelift will offer the buckets for those who expect a RS to have a more driver orientated and focussed seating position.

Last edited:
I think they are ugly!! Looks like a blow up seat cushion.

I never complained about how the SSS looks. Indeed they look great, but I sat on the Cayenne five minutes before I went away with my car, and the Cayenne seats are in a different league in terms of support, format, etc. The same with the BMW M3 or the Recaro from the 2002 Audi A3. Those are much much better seats. Sorry, but that's the reality.

12.jpg

The seating position is hugely important in this type of car (or it should be), and the RS3 has it wrong.
It's a RS, should have a better option than the S available.

Super Sports Seats are not low enough, not supportive enough for spirited driving, nor do they look great - I think they are starting to look a touch dated. On rather than in the car is how they feel.
I wouldn't bother with them, spend your cash on something else.

New TT seats look better (much fresher), are better positioned and give a more enjoyable driving experience because of that.

I expect the facelift will offer the buckets for those who expect a RS to have a more driver orientated and focussed seating position.
That's hugely subjective, and again, its down to personal opinion, as there is no means to judge this by, in this car, other that personal opinion and expectations.

I find the driving position in the S3 and RS3 just how I want it.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
That's hugely subjective, and again, its down to personal opinion, as there is no means to judge this by, in this car, other that personal opinion and expectations.

I find the driving position in the S3 and RS3 just how I want it.

I have to agree.

Craig - your comments on the rs3 seating position had me worried.

But after test drive I found nothing wrong with the seating position ?

Plus it felt no higher than that of my s5 and in turn I guess your rs5 ? You may have buckets though but even so the height has to be similar.

They even felt more supportive than the s5 seats - which I put down to there being no tilt forward mechanism fo rear seat access or just that they are a newer design.

Its all personal taste at the end of the day but I love the SSS and will be getting them 100% ... A must have option for me.

My opinion is always right..............to me.
Not saying it's right for others, just expressing.

I can't say for sure, but am pretty convinced that the S/RS5 has a seating position that's nearer to the ground in comparison to the S/RS3.

I wouldn't have this type of car without a bucket. Vastly improves the driving experience (and seating position) which is what these cars are all about.

TT is better than both though, even without buckets.
Again, just an opinion before anyone gets precious.

Last edited:
Had standard s-line seats in my 8P A3 and switched them out for buckets. While the buckets looked fantastic they were too firm, I could hardly walk after a long journey. Standard seats whilst not so hugging were much more comfortable.
I have specced Supersports seats in my RS3 as I found them to be the best of both worlds.
but each to his own and all that.

Had standard s-line seats in my 8P A3 and switched them out for buckets. While the buckets looked fantastic they were too firm, I could hardly walk after a long journey. Standard seats whilst not so hugging were much more comfortable.
I have specced Supersports seats in my RS3 as I found them to be the best of both worlds.
but each to his own and all that.

Totally agree !

New RS3 buckets will begin to mount from week 45 (mid-november).