Rs3 to rs4

Jeff Bates

Reaction score
Hello all.
Has anyone went from a rs3 to a rs4? I have a 2019 sport edition rs3, panther black saloon which is fully loaded bar the ceramic brakes. I’ve been looking at a 2021 rs4 carbon black in nardo gray, not as much spec as the rs3 but has what I like.
Any one done the rs3 to rs4 and have any pros or cons, pleased they made the change or regrets.
I’m 50/50 weather to go for it
TIA

Reactions: Jcbmally
I made the change from a 2017 RS3 to a 2020 RS4 late last year. I went for the RS4 as I did not like the look and feel of the 8Y A3 and was not prepared to wait in the hope the RS version would be better. Unfortunately with lockdown I have not had as much opportunity to use the RS4 as I would have liked so in some ways the following are initial impressions.

First and this sounds obvious but it is quite a bit bigger than the RS3 and feels it on the road. It uses quite a bit more fuel (around 20 mpg) but that has been on local journeys only. I have not had a chance to give the car a longer run where I would hope to see much better fuel figures (not that I would buy a RS3 or 4 for its fuel economy).

Not much in it performance wise with the RS4 being a tad quicker and it handles a bit better as well although I don't know if that is due to the DRC on my car (I had mag ride on my RS3). I had ceramic brakes on my RS3 which I miss with the RS4 brakes lacking initial bite although they do still work OK.

The interior feels superior to the RS3 and materials used are a step up from the RS3. The seats seem better than the RS3 and offer better support. The latest tech for me in some ways was a step back. The lack of jukebox and not of being able to upload poi's for cameras etc seems unnecessary restrictions but the higher resolution screen is much better than the RS3. Overall I am reasonably pleased with the change and so far don't regret it (brakes apart).

I think there are some others on here who have gone from RS3 to RS4 who may be able to give you a wider viewpoint but if there are any specific points I can help you with I would be happy to try and help. Good luck whatever decision you make

Reactions: SiPie and Jcbmally
I made the change from a 2017 RS3 to a 2020 RS4 late last year. I went for the RS4 as I did not like the look and feel of the 8Y A3 and was not prepared to wait in the hope the RS version would be better. Unfortunately with lockdown I have not had as much opportunity to use the RS4 as I would have liked so in some ways the following are initial impressions.

First and this sounds obvious but it is quite a bit bigger than the RS3 and feels it on the road. It uses quite a bit more fuel (around 20 mpg) but that has been on local journeys only. I have not had a chance to give the car a longer run where I would hope to see much better fuel figures (not that I would buy a RS3 or 4 for its fuel economy).

Not much in it performance wise with the RS4 being a tad quicker and it handles a bit better as well although I don't know if that is due to the DRC on my car (I had mag ride on my RS3). I had ceramic brakes on my RS3 which I miss with the RS4 brakes lacking initial bite although they do still work OK.

The interior feels superior to the RS3 and materials used are a step up from the RS3. The seats seem better than the RS3 and offer better support. The latest tech for me in some ways was a step back. The lack of jukebox and not of being able to upload poi's for cameras etc seems unnecessary restrictions but the higher resolution screen is much better than the RS3. Overall I am reasonably pleased with the change and so far don't regret it (brakes apart).

I think there are some others on here who have gone from RS3 to RS4 who may be able to give you a wider viewpoint but if there are any specific points I can help you with I would be happy to try and help. Good luck whatever decision you make
Thanks for the input, if you don’t mind me asking what version rs4 did you buy, sport, carbon black etc..... and i know your rs3 would have been pre gpf but does the v6 sound as nice as the 5 pot? My rs3 has the gpf filter but as you know the 5 pot is sweet

Hi Jeff,

Mine is a vorsprung which means it has the sports exhaust while my Rs3 had the standard exhaust. Hard to compare between them as the soundaktor on the RS4 makes it sound as if its barking and rumbling a bit like the 5 pot. I am not sure if it actually sounds that way on the outside though. I suspect not. I know you can disable the soundaktor but its not that important to me. Bets thing is to drive one and see if you can live with it.

Regards

Colin

I had an S3 up until a week ago when I picked up my B9 RS4 (pretty much fully loaded as was the S3). I personally think the RS4 knocks the socks off my S3. Just more refined and better in all aspects. As someone else has said you'll be lucky to get 21mpg around town but on a good run you'll get over 40mpg. But who buys an RS of any description for the economy! Depends on your outlook I suppose. I wanted an RS3 but jumped to the RS4 and I am so glad I did. I absolutely love it!!!

Reactions: SiPie
I did last year when my RS3 got totalled.

Only thing I miss is the noise, other than that greatest choice I made

Hello all.
Has anyone went from a rs3 to a rs4? I have a 2019 sport edition rs3, panther black saloon which is fully loaded bar the ceramic brakes. I’ve been looking at a 2021 rs4 carbon black in nardo gray, not as much spec as the rs3 but has what I like.
Any one done the rs3 to rs4 and have any pros or cons, pleased they made the change or regrets.
I’m 50/50 weather to go for it
TIA

Hi Jeff
Picked up my new 21plate RS4 Vorsprung last week and part exd my 69plate RS3. Love both of them but the RS4 just feels so much more premium and nicer to drive also sounds a lot better and just feels a bit more grown up been 43 the RS3 felt a bit boy racer ish!..
Definitely glad I made the move although performance I really can't tell much difference I think the RS4 corners better but with it been the vorsprung it has DRC so I'm guessing that's why, I was 50/50 whether to go for it but glad I did its just a nicer drive all in all, the only con is the price difference between them both really not sure there's 30Ks worth more of extra for the RS4
Jimmy

Hi Jeff
Picked up my new 21plate RS4 Vorsprung last week and part exd my 69plate RS3. Love both of them but the RS4 just feels so much more premium and nicer to drive also sounds a lot better and just feels a bit more grown up been 43 the RS3 felt a bit boy racer ish!..
Definitely glad I made the move although performance I really can't tell much difference I think the RS4 corners better but with it been the vorsprung it has DRC so I'm guessing that's why, I was 50/50 whether to go for it but glad I did its just a nicer drive all in all, the only con is the price difference between them both really not sure there's 30Ks worth more of extra for the RS4
Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,
My thoughts exactly, I dunno if I can justify the extra 30k for the jump up.
I think 30k from a rs4 to a rs6 is more justifiable than rs3 to rs4, I get there is a
more refined feel to the rs4 but performance and handling I wouldn’t think there is much in it, I’m thinking maybe wait for the new rs3 to be launched and see what that is about.
Im guessing prices on them would be around 55k which with the equity in my car would be on par on my monthly payments instead of a extra £300 or so a month.

Hi Jimmy,
My thoughts exactly, I dunno if I can justify the extra 30k for the jump up.
I think 30k from a rs4 to a rs6 is more justifiable than rs3 to rs4, I get there is a
more refined feel to the rs4 but performance and handling I wouldn’t think there is much in it, I’m thinking maybe wait for the new rs3 to be launched and see what that is about.
Im guessing prices on them would be around 55k which with the equity in my car would be on par on my monthly payments instead of a extra £300 or so a month.
With the equity I had in my car the RS4 was only 160 a month extra as I'd only done 4k miles in the RS3 and the Audi dealer did a great deal for me

I agree with Jimmy's Comment. I have had my RS4 for 4 weeks now -2021 spec std edition with option wheels and a few other items. Had 2020 spec RS3 sport edition before this. Performance wise you most probably wont notice too much difference on the road, but on the track with official timing is another story the RS4 is a lot quicker off the mark using launch control (although I do have issues with it creeping off the line at times) On the 1/4 mile with a RS3 my best ever was a 0.56 reaction time , first time out in the 4 my worst was 0.5 and can now achieve 0.2 to 0.3 reaction times regular I put this down to the differing drive trains. Also in standard spec the RS4 is not only faster on the 1/4 but quicker time wise but not by that much. Std. RS3 low 12 seconds, and std. RS4 High 11 seconds, with RS3 ave. over the line speed around 114 mph with the 4 ave. speed around 118mph not a lot but on the 1/4 mile a tenth of a second is a lot. I have the timing slips from Santa Pod to prove this. In general I prefer the 4 but I must admit I still like the 3s.

Reactions: Jimmy 119
Selfish digression for you new RS4 owners, but is it possible to have the analogue VC view with RS modes, without setting it manually each time? Drives me mad!