Rs3 to RS5

gilford

Reaction score
On the verge of trading my RS3 for an RS5, need to give my decision tomorrow AM, am I doing the right thing?!?!

That depends on why you are changing, and what you are looking for in a car. Tell us more.

Love the RS3 but have had it 12 months, I get bored with cars quickly and really fancy trying an RS5. I could wait a few months but then won't get the enjoyment out of the new car in the summer months (or what we have left).

Yes - if you are happier with the RS5 as an all round package, plus variety is the spice of life and who could deny the lure of that big rumbling V8. The RS5 is much more of looker and rare in these parts, I only see one and it is very sensibly driven. You prefer a coupe to a hatch. You want to make more of a statement.

No - because that big V8 is thirsty and you will need to work the box and engine much harder for the same roll on and overtaking performance of the RS3. By the time the V8 wakes up the numbers on the speedo are in the serious range. My RS3 is the only one I see here so they may be just as rare. What the RS3 lacks in looks it makes up for in practicality. You prefer understated looks with performance.

It's a great choice to have and in reality there is no downside, just do what gives you most pleasure, fun or whatever other criteria you judge life by - you only live once!

Reactions: T-800
Love the RS3 but have had it 12 months, I get bored with cars quickly and really fancy trying an RS5. I could wait a few months but then won't get the enjoyment out of the new car in the summer months (or what we have left).

By those criteria you should change if you can afford to!

I must admit that an RS5 is one of the cars I would be tempted to have next, but that will be several years away for me personally. :)

Well, deal done, deposit placed on a nice Suzuka Grey RS5 this morning :)

I'm trading the RS3 in for it, the price given is £34k, if anyone wants a mint 2012 car with 7k miles just bid me slightly more before tomorrow lunch time and it's yours!!!!!!!

Can't wait to get it now, just hoping my 3 year old fits in the back ok ;)

Reactions: BigWillyStyle
Will do :)

It certainly is a rare beast, there isn't even a section on here for it! Guess I'll just have to move elsewhere........... ;)

You sound excited by the change, enjoy the RS5 for the next year or so. Let us know how you get on it's always good to hear real owners experiences. I guess you can be adopted in this section like the lonely TTRS!

Only one question then, what's the next car after the RS5? :) If you're anything like me I know you'll have thought about that already! :laugh:

I test drove a 997 Turbo before buying the RS3, absolutely LOVE them, but they are NOT child friendly! I tried every which way to get the seat in but there was just no room :(

You can get a cracker for the same price I have paid for the RS5 but Macy is still too young and the seat just too big, we will see what she is like come Easter 2014 :)

My old man has a brand new 991 C2s and the space in the back of the new car is great, she fit's right in, but sadly I do not have £99k plus change to get one!

I did have a brief stint with a Range Rover Sport last year but it didn't last, lovely car but soulless to drive, I need a bit of speed in my life as you all probably do.

Can't wait for it to be delivered Friday, the one criticism I have of the RS3 (and A3 in general) is the driving position, you are very "high up". I don't know why this is because Golf R's etc are fine? The RS5 has a great driving position, a proper cruiser, I suppose wasted on me to drive to Town and back! lol

Wooo does look nice..

Wonder if you'll ever see 26mpg combined.

A change is as good as a rest and all that!

Look forward to the pics.

Wooo does look nice..

Wonder if you'll ever see 26mpg combined.

A change is as good as a rest and all that!

Look forward to the pics.

I had an RS4 before the RS3 and didn't do bad in that on the old jungle juice, with the wife and daughter in tow you just can't push the loud pedal as much!

I worked out last night whilst trying to get to sleep, in the last 12 months I would have had an RS4, RS3 and an RS5 :):):)

Not bad for a years worth of cars! lol

I had an RS4 before the RS3 and didn't do bad in that on the old jungle juice, with the wife and daughter in tow you just can't push the loud pedal as much!

I worked out last night whilst trying to get to sleep, in the last 12 months I would have had an RS4, RS3 and an RS5 :):):)

Not bad for a years worth of cars! lol

Very nice! Did you consider a newish RS4?

My RS4 was always under 20mpg majority of short trips.

RS3 MPG is mega for the performance.

Bet you can't wait but be sad to see the 3 go?

To be honest I don't like spending over £40k on a car, did it once on a 911 and lost too much money :(

I've done really well on the RS3, lost virtually nothing in just over 11 months, and the RS5 is a good price also so can't see me losing too much on that either :)

If the new RS4 was in a saloon I would consider it in a year or two but in estate guise I think its fugly, definately not for me!

I will be sad to see the RS3 go, its been a cracking little car, but this is my first and last hatchback I think!

Enjoy the RS5, I nearly bought one instead of the RS3 but for me it just isn't sporty enough, it's a big heavy thing which didnt handle anywhere near as well as my B7 RS4.

It all depends what you are after from a car I guess :)

Enjoy

It's funny people say that, but track times on various circuits prove otherwise? I suppose on a test drive its hard to tell and it is a big old lump!

Although the 0-60 of both the RS3 and RS5 are the same I think day to day the 3 is the quicker car, you'd need a good stretch of road for the V8 to show its real power.

This was the problem I had with the RS4, but I'm willing to give the RS5 a go for 12 months just to say I've had one :)

There's no getting away from how mean it looks, and its a great cruiser which is what I want for the time being :)

It's strange how quickly our perceptions move on. You're right the RS5 is quicker than the RS3 around a lot of tracks and yet day to day there is no getting away from the flexibility of a turbo.

Here is evo's verdict on the latest R8 V8:

"The R8 V8 is far from a slow car, as a 0-62mph time of 4.5sec (4.8 with the regular six-speed manual) and a top speed of 187mph testify, but you don’t need to look at the spec sheet to know the V8 lacks the muscle and firepower of the V10. You can feel it whenever you squeeze the throttle, for there isn’t a lot there below 4500rpm.

Weirdly (and unexpectedly, it has to be said), the S-tronic ’box doesn’t feel quite so convincing when mated to the 90-degree V8. Drive in automatic mode and it rarely has the effortless, intuitive shifts that make it so impressive in the V10
cars
. Run the car in Sport mode and its character goes too far the other way, kicking down too readily and aggressively, often to a gear lower than you’d have gone for yourself."

Now lets remember how short a time it is since this engine was winning all sorts of accolades. I first drove the previous RS4 with this engine and was totally blown away by the tractability and screaming 8000 rpm howl, it made my 340 bhp Impreza feel flat footed with turbo lag. Yet here we are what 4/5 years later and light pressure or twin scroll turbos have the advantage. It's a tough call between the 2.5T and 4.2 V8 you could also add the S4 3 litre supercharged engine to the mix. I'm guessing the next RS4 and R8 will be pwered by some form of ultra efficient 3 litre (ish) turbo engine.

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus
My track reference was pointed towards the B7 RS4 but I would also say the same for the RS3.

I recently read a Chris (****) Harris review of the new A45 AMG and he slated the RS3, saying it was by far the worst of the new "super hatch" incarnations?! I think it is one of the best!

If I could change a few things it would be the seating position, have flaired arches to the rear like the rest of the RS line up and also the left and right trademark oval exhausts.

Needless to say tomorrow morning on my last trip to the office I will shed a tear for it, plus do a few launches to remember exactly why I bought it in the first place!!! :):)

Reactions: CarrG and MBK
I agree with you, no denying the V8s are ultimately quicker, I was truly amazed by what a pro race driver could extract from the new RS4 on ceramic brakes, I have never felt a car move around so much on track.

Chris Harris just hates Audi RS in general at the moment -"they know how to sell cars", or maybe it's what people want, who knows!

For you, tomorrow, every traffic light is a an invitation to launch!

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus and gilford
Well, all I can say is, WOW!!!!

The growl from this thing with the sports exhaust on is epic!

Speak later, I'm off to waste some petrol............................

Reactions: Kelza and MBK
Absolutely love it :):):)

Its such a beautiful car to look at and has been the talking piece of the office car park all week :)

Can't say I miss the RS3 yet, love the driving position and all the toys in the 5, and did I mention the V8 growl ;)

its amazing how quick this car is, on the same roads I find myself braking more as it carries the speed so well.

I see my old car is now up for sale on the Audi website for a fiver under £37k, shame someone missed buying it direct off me and will have to pay a few grand more, but so is life, I hope the new owner enjoys it as much as I did.

:laugh: Someone is enjoying their new car! Good for you get out there and use it as it was intended. You've got to love how that V8 goes from growl to howl.

As for the price of your 3 it's no surprise Audi can afford the flashy showrooms and free coffee is it!

Reactions: gilford
Glad you are enjoying the RS5. Brilliant Choice, Big beast :hubbahubba:
So the RS3 is £36,995 ? Can i ask how much they gave you for it ?
Just curious on how much they are trying to make.
When are you getting some pictures up ? Cant wait to see it ! :)

I got £34k part ex which was good considering all the people who were offering £32k via text message for the brief 24 hour period it was on Pistonheads :):)

god loves a tryer..........

Glad your enjoying your new RS5. :)

Quick iPhone piccie -

Reactions: finchy256, coreythorny, Kelza and 5 others
Out of interest, RS5 vs RS3 - who would be the winner from a standing start. Unladen, no mods etc. Also, would this be the same from a rolling start, on say the motorway/track?

Nice looking beast you've got there... Hope you don't regret leaving the RS3 but doesn't sound like it!

MPG? - Honestly?? Does look the dogs!!

Id be interested with off the line race pace - guess it would be very close.

Enjoy!

Various tests I've read online get the 0-60 to 4.2's which MBK has achieved in his RS3 so it would be damn close! After about 80 though the RS5 would take it, this thing pulls like a train and in 3rd gear you are easily in three figures.

Fact is, both are great cars, and I'm very lucky to of had both :):):)

Reactions: CarrG and 8PARSY
I agree 0-60 would be close both around 4.2 or 4.3 seconds. In this months evo the RS4 did a 4.5 to 60 but Drive figured it at 4.3s and the RS5 is lighter.

0-100 would be similarly close but the RS5 would just have it in about 9.6s compared to the RS3s 9.9. Even the 1/4 mile times are close both being figured at mid 12s by various magazines.

Without question at three numbers plus the V8 pulls better. The RS3 feels like its in acceleration custard at about 120 and then a pool of treacle at 140 though it will go on to 155+ easily enough. Having driven the new RS4 'flat chat' as Chris Harris puts it I can report it pulls a lot more strongly at 120 plus all the way to the limiter at an indicated 166. The R8 V10 I was following was a sight to behold as it pulled away like a rocket and disappeared over the horizon.

Roll on performance is much harder to measure with S-tronic because the measuring gear can't cope with the kick down and way the shifts happen. I prefer the turbo shove for overtaking but that's just me.

On a track like the 'ring where the speeds are higher for longer the RS5 is faster than the RS3 (though the TTRS being lighter is faster than both).

So there isn't much to choose between them, both great cars with performance that would shame super cars of just a few years ago. If you want to go significantly quicker in an Audi you will need the crazy RS6/7 or sublime R8 V10!

Reactions: gilford
but if you spend £500 on the RS3, the RS5 will be left way behind... Love the sound of the V8, but on the RS5 it's muted and needs a Milltek or other aftermarket exhaust to sound right just like the RS4, everything tuning wise on the big V8s costs a bomb which means realistically it will probs remain standard.