RS3 v Tesla 3 Performance

It does feel like the future when you drive a decent EV, I think a little early on the battery front atm, when you hear talk of 1865 v 2170 v 4680 and 'nearly there' solid state batteries I hadnt a clue,
1865 just means each battery is 18mm diameter x 65mm long, as they go bigger to 4680 (46mm dia/80mm long) they then struggle a little more to stop them over heating when rapid charging and rapid performance are required, the latest Volvo couldnt manage one quick lap on 5th gear recharge.

Then look where we are now and how much more is there to come? maybe 500 mile range and performance quicker than anything else out there?
Tesla Plaid doesnt need the long wait time to get the performace anymore, 0-60 2 seconds, that'll make you :puke2:

5 years time your RS3 will be the slowest car at the traffic lights :(

Reactions: 8YARWY
It does feel like the future when you drive a decent EV, I think a little early on the battery front atm, when you hear talk of 1865 v 2170 v 4680 and 'nearly there' solid state batteries I hadnt a clue,
1865 just means each battery is 18mm diameter x 65mm long, as they go bigger to 4680 (46mm dia/80mm long) they then struggle a little more to stop them over heating when rapid charging and rapid performance are required, the latest Volvo couldnt manage one quick lap on 5th gear recharge.

Then look where we are now and how much more is there to come? maybe 500 mile range and performance quicker than anything else out there?
Tesla Plaid doesnt need the long wait time to get the performace anymore, 0-60 2 seconds, that'll make you :puke2:

5 years time your RS3 will be the slowest car at the traffic lights :(
Plaid needs 5 mins to warm the batteries. No one in the real world can get the plaid under 2.5s to 60 which is still v fast of course just not what they claim.

As for RS3 "being slow at the traffic lights" as I said before idgaf about that in the slightest.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 8YARWY, Jcbmally and Snake Pliskin
Plaid needs 5 mins to warm the batteries. No one in the real world can get the plaid under 2.5s to 60 which is still v fast of course just not what they claim.

As for RS3 "being slow at the traffic lights" as I said before idgaf about that in the slightest.

TX.

my thoughts exactly ... the RS3 or any RS for that matter is way more than straight line speed.

Reactions: Jcbmally and Terminator x

TX.

You need to do a few Youtube searches, loads out there all around
0-60 around 2.1-2.3
30-50 around 0.9sec
50-70 around 1.0 sec
Standing Quarter 9.4 sec 151mph

definitely interested to hear your thoughts mate :icon thumright:

It’s a good car in my opinion, quite strange pressing that pedal with sod all noise

Went into the menu and switched on some electric motor ‘enhancement’ which is whine to us….

The EV6 had 50% range when we got in it, had 40 mins test drive unaccompanied .

We did around 20 miles of hard driving in it and it had 40% battery upon return.

It was the RWD 276 hp GTline S version and I admit take off from a standstill is damn quick, and seems faster than figures suggest, I can imagine the 577hp GT is something else.

The ride is good, very comfy, it’s in the twisty bits you start to feel it’s mass though, the suspension does a good job of controlling the body roll and having the batteries low down helps it, however it still feels ‘floaty’ when pushing on, this is still a ‘regular’ EV though with big side profile tyres and a suspension set up to cover more bases.

It also ‘rock’ quite a bit when planting your foot down you get that that rear wheel shove and the front comes up.

Technology is great, touch screen is rapid in Responce, lots of icons though to navigate your way through which could only really be done when stationary.

I think it also looks good for an EV, wheels weren’t helping it, however the GT seems to have better Alloys / Nicer calipers etc.

Height in the interior is a problem though, as the seat adjustment doesn’t go as low as you’d think it should, and you can hit your head on the headlining if you move too much to get comfy, you can lower them but they have the weird lower your backside / raise you knee effect not lower the base as a whole……not sure about this.

The other issue is the GT loses the Pan Roof and electric seats

In other news we called into Tesla to have a nosy at the 3 and book a test drive, although when I got home the neighbour close to us has just bought a Model 3 so I took the chance to speak to him about it, as I was curious to see what an ex Golf R 7.5 owner was doing with a Tesla
He took me out in it and we had a good chat about it, my first impressions on the Tesla are it’s brutal in acceleration and the cornering is very flat, much better in both respects than the Kia, which is to be expected at the Tesla is more of a conventional car, he likes it though and doesn’t miss his Golf R one bit.

Will see what the Tesla performance has to offer next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RS03???, Jassyo06, Jcbmally and 3 others
It’s a good car in my opinion, quite strange pressing that pedal with sod all noise

Went into the menu and switched on some electric motor ‘enhancement’ which is whine to us….

We did around 20 miles of hard driving in it and it had 40% battery upon return.

It was the RWD 276 hp GTline S version and I admit take off from a standstill is damn quick, and seems faster than figures suggest, I can imagine the 577hp GT is something else.

The ride is good, very comfy, it’s in the twisty bits you start to feel it’s mass though, the suspension does a good job of controlling the body roll and having the batteries low down helps it, however it still feels ‘floaty’ when pushing on, this is still a ‘regular’ EV though with big side profile tyres and a suspension set up to cover more bases.

It also ‘rock’ quite a bit when planting your foot down you get that that rear wheel shove and the front comes up.

Technology is great, touch screen is rapid in Responce, lots of icons though to navigate your way through which could only really be done when stationary.

I think it also looks good for an EV, wheels weren’t helping it, however the GT seems to have better Alloys / Nicer calipers etc.

Height in the interior is a problem though, as the seat adjustment doesn’t go as low as you’d think it should, and you can hit your head on the headlining if you move too much to get comfy, you can lower them but they have the weird lower your backside / raise you knee effect not lower the base as a whole……not sure about this.

In other news we called into Tesla to have a nosy at the 3 and book a test drive, although when I got home the neighbour close to us has just bought a Model 3 so I took the chance to speak to him about it, as I was curious to see what an ex Golf R 7.5 owner was doing with a Tesla
He took me out in it and we had a good chat about it, my first impressions on the Tesla are it’s brutal in acceleration and the cornering is very flat, much better in both respects than the Kia, which is to be expected at the Tesla is more of a conventional car, he likes it though and doesn’t miss his Golf R one bit.

I think you have a good summary there.
Credit to the Kia for impressing you, but not a clear cut case.
See how you get on with Tesla then.
Or just wait for that M2 ;)
Even a jazzed up 240i looks impressive imo.

Reactions: FBF01, Jcbmally, NevMan and 1 other person
I think you have a good summary there.
Credit to the Kia for impressing you, but not a clear cut case.
See how you get on with Tesla then.
Or just wait for that M2 ;)
Even a jazzed up 240i looks impressive imo.

Wouldn’t have a BMW mate.

Reactions: Mike.46 and Snake Pliskin
Wouldn’t have a BMW mate.

i said that till I drove an M2 at Bedford Autodrome last October.
Really liked that car & very nearly seriously considered one.
Admittedly it was possibly a 3 year old car, so no doubt sounded better than a new one now but I really liked it and it handled superbly & unfortunately it was wet laps for me.

Admittedly it was possibly a 3 year old car, so no doubt sounded better than a new one now but I really liked it and it handled superbly & unfortunately it was wet laps for me.

And yet you bought the RS3.

Reactions: NevMan
Early M2 very nervous at rear, weird feeling as if it goes up on tip toes exiting corners, just doesnt seem to take a set, M2 Competition much better/settled doing the same thing, I was close to getting M2 Comp :)

Reactions: NevMan and Snake Pliskin

I said at the time the only thing stopping me was no hatch for dog, whether I would have gone through with it if it had a hatch?

I took a Model 3 Performance out, takes a while to get used to one pedal driving, transition when pushing between regen and brakes was very good, really needs a HUD, I didnt get on with the big ipad, I found I needed to balance my glasses on the end of my nose to see what I was trying to alter and look over them for driving, it wasnt natural for me to keep looking centre for the speed readout, chased it in and out of a fair few roundabouts nothing jumped out to spoil it tbh, acceleration from any speed was quite addictive

Reactions: NevMan
He'll be vexing his brain constantly on how to remap them batteries.....New Forum Avatar..... Duracell BUNNY T-1000 KW's

No need, as Tesla will deliver a software update and suddenly he has 10% more power and longer battery life

• Haha
Reactions: Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin and 8YARWY
Early M2 very nervous at rear, weird feeling as if it goes up on tip toes exiting corners, just doesnt seem to take a set, M2 Competition much better/settled doing the same thing, I was close to getting M2 Comp :)

Reckon the new M2 will be epic, but likely a epic price too

Reactions: FBF01, Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
I said at the time the only thing stopping me was no hatch for dog, whether I would have gone through with it if it had a hatch?

I took a Model 3 Performance out, takes a while to get used to one pedal driving, transition when pushing between regen and brakes was very good, really needs a HUD, I didnt get on with the big ipad, I found I needed to balance my glasses on the end of my nose to see what I was trying to alter and look over them for driving, it wasnt natural for me to keep looking centre for the speed readout, chased it in and out of a fair few roundabouts nothing jumped out to spoil it tbh, acceleration from any speed was quite addictive

Apparently you can program it to shout the speed limits at you

‘THIRTY MILES AN HOUR’ you old git and if you go over the limits it’ll take you straight to the police station

• Haha
Reactions: Jcbmally, Mike.46, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
336fa4ca15c7c94ea9bf123df54c0a36.jpg

47d5f487f2896a4995ab9249fd672fac.jpg

4d785ab3b8b51c40e72debf1adb77c80.jpg

22b29b59c74bab70ba25712cc2105caf.jpg

Reactions: Jcbmally and NevMan
My lad used to stretch tyres onto larger rims like that :)

What did you think of it?

336fa4ca15c7c94ea9bf123df54c0a36.jpg

47d5f487f2896a4995ab9249fd672fac.jpg

4d785ab3b8b51c40e72debf1adb77c80.jpg

22b29b59c74bab70ba25712cc2105caf.jpg

Now that's One Ugly Muvver f$$king 4 wheeled object mate av heard of the January blues but *** get a grip lol A indentical Black 4 wheeled object is sat beside me as l type........enough said

• Haha
Reactions: Garrett 69, Rs31981, Jcbmally and 2 others
Come on Sean don't leave us hanging :shrug:

TX.

• Haha
Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan, 8YARWY and 1 other person
Now that's One Ugly Muvver f$$king 4 wheeled object mate av heard of the January blues but *** get a grip lol A indentical Black 4 wheeled object is sat beside me as l type........enough said
could not of put it better myself jassy lad :tearsofjoy:
should we be seriously worried about Sean then ? :huh:
Liking that mobile bar of soap and being infatuated with the wheels :grimacing:

• Haha
Reactions: Garrett 69, Rs31981, Jcbmally and 3 others
Somebody once said to me there's no such thing as an Ugly Blow Job :)

• Haha
Reactions: Garrett 69, Jcbmally, NevMan and 3 others
Superb !

Do a little research and watch a few RSymons RSEV youtubes, he's pretty clued up once the rose tinted glasses bits start to wear off.

For me? yes, but not yet :)

Reactions: NevMan and 8YARWY
View attachment 248841
They CAN look pretty smart IMO

Can't polish a **** of soap mate I'd rather have the Kia ev more Kudos....Tesla is the defacto Rep mobile= The modern day Vauxhall Cavalier/Vectra motorways are full of them now and that in itself = A car to avoid for the likes of folks on a RS forum

Reactions: Garrett 69 and Snake Pliskin
Do a little research and watch a few RSymons RSEV youtubes, he's pretty clued up once the rose tinted glasses bits start to wear off.

For me? yes, but not yet :)

Lol yes watched em all

Reactions: Mike.46 and NevMan
Come on Sean don't leave us hanging :shrug:

TX.

Quite surprised by it to be fair, I did say a few years back I thought the standard 3 wasn’t great looking.

However this performance model 3, once you’ve actually adjusted a few settings etc really made an impression on me.

The car was on charge when we arrived, check in is via a QR code on your smartphone, fill out a simple form and submit, takes literally 2 mins.
Wonder over to the showroom guy, he takes us out to it.
Quickly shows us the opening procedure with the Tesla card, get in adjust seat etc while he went and unplugged it.
Basic this does this that does that etc etc yeah yeah shut that door (Larry Grayson style )

What is refreshing at this point, no Audi waiting around crap, no being ignored, no mither, no paper work signing etc, just got on with it……. Go into Audi and they all either ignore you or try to look incredibly busy doing naff all (Stockport Audi were a prime example of this)

So once inside the car.

D,R,P all done on the R hand stalk, no fuss no confusion, simple.

One pedal operation, after 5 mins becomes second nature, the Tesla cameras capture everything that’s going on around the car, lights turn to red, ease of the pedal the car comes to a stop nice and easy, car is reading the traffic lights on the screen, they turn green, Ooooo first pedal to the floor action wow this thing is instantly fast, cars behind become dots quickly .

It’s totally different to the EV6 (2000kg), doesn’t feel ‘heavy’ for its 1850 kg weight, I was wondering if it would feel it when pushing on in corners, however to me it felt very flat when cornering at speed, no drama and I couldn’t unsettle it with big throttle inputs either, it just seemed to grip and go.

Suspension set up seems great to me it felt comfortable over some roads I normally use in the RS3, I’d read reports of the Tesla suspension being a little on the firm side, wasn’t something I found, it seems to cope with everything you throw at it, even with the huge 20” wheels.

This thing has huge calipers front and rear, now this is where things are different, you get that used to the one pedal operation, yes it’s that good, that the minute you actually do use the brakes they are a little underwhelming, you have to press that pedal pretty hard, now I assume this is down to lack of a proper servo assistance, maybe, or maybe it’s a different way, either way you need to adjust the way you use them.

The big question I suppose is did I miss the noise etc associated with a performance car ……… not really, that’ll upset the RS cart I bet.

The looks I agree aren’t to everyone’s liking, but you can say that about a lot of cars.

I liked the way the new 8Y RS3 went and looked from certain angles ( not all mind ) and I feel the same about this Tesla.

Interior I liked, a lot, less clutter, better visibility, no issue with not having the speedo directly in front of me, you get used to the reading on the touch screen right corner, it’s not as distracting as I thought it would be.

The car was cold when we got in but literally 2 mins later the heating was hot and heated seats / steering wheel were toasty so much so we turned them off.

I did walk around looking at panel gaps/paint etc and couldn’t see anything untoward, they are built in Shanghai now, and soon In Germany the showroom guy told us.

I’m actually impressed by it, lol, which sounds nuts after owning RS3’s since 2012

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: FBF01, Snake Pliskin, Mike.46 and 2 others
Appreciate the feedback. Tesla ticks most of the boxes for me. Apart from the most crucial, the way it looks. There are a few nice details but as a overall design it is as bland as an 10 year old Hyundai or kia. Stick the rs3 body on top and its sorted

Reactions: Mike.46 and 8YARWY
Quite surprised by it to be fair, I did say a few years back I thought the standard 3 wasn’t great looking.

However this performance model 3, once you’ve actually adjusted a few settings etc really made an impression on me.

The car was on charge when we arrived, check in is via a QR code on your smartphone, fill out a simple form and submit, takes literally 2 mins.
Wonder over to the showroom guy, he takes us out to it.
Quickly shows us the opening procedure with the Tesla card, get in adjust seat etc while he went and unplugged it.
Basic this does this that does that etc etc yeah yeah shut that door (Larry Grayson style )

What is refreshing at this point, no Audi waiting around crap, no being ignored, no mither, no paper work signing etc, just got on with it……. Go into Audi and they all either ignore you or try to look incredibly busy doing naff all (Stockport Audi were a prime example of this)

D,R,P all done on the R hand stalk, no fuss no confusion, simple.

One pedal operation, after 5 mins becomes second nature, the Tesla cameras capture everything that’s going on around the car, lights turn to red, ease of the pedal the car comes to a stop nice and easy, car is reading the traffic lights on the screen, they turn green, Ooooo first pedal to the floor action wow this thing is instantly fast, cars behind become dots quickly .

It’s totally different to the EV6 (2000kg), doesn’t feel ‘heavy’ for its 1850 kg weight, I was wondering if it would feel it when pushing on in corners, however to me it felt very flat when cornering at speed, no drama and I couldn’t unsettle it with big throttle inputs either, it just seemed to grip and go.

Suspension set up seems great to me it felt comfortable over some roads I normally use in the RS3, I’d read reports of the Tesla suspension being a little on the firm side, wasn’t something I found, it seems to cope with everything you throw at it, even with the huge 20” wheels.

This thing has huge calipers front and rear, now this is where things are different, you get that used to the one pedal operation, yes it’s that good, that the minute you actually do use the brakes they are a little underwhelming, you have to press that pedal pretty hard, now I assume this is down to lack of a proper servo assistance, maybe, or maybe it’s a different way, either way you need to adjust the way you use them.

The big question I suppose is did I miss the noise etc associated with a performance car ……… not really, that’ll upset the RS cart I bet.

The looks I agree aren’t to everyone’s liking, but you can say that about a lot of cars.

I liked the way the new 8Y RS3 went and looked from certain angles ( not all mind ) and I feel the same about this Tesla.

Interior I liked, a lot, less clutter, better visibility, no issue with not having the speedo directly in front of me, you get used to the reading on the touch screen right corner, it’s not as distracting as I thought it would be.

The car was cold when we got in but literally 2 mins later the heating was hot and heated seats / steering wheel were toasty so much so we turned them off.

I did walk around looking at panel gaps/paint etc and couldn’t see anything untoward, they are built in Shanghai now, and soon In Germany the showroom guy told us.

I’m actually impressed by it, lol, which sounds nuts after owning RS3’s since 2012

Good review mate. If we all liked the same it would be a very dull world. Are you going to commit? I’ve always said that IF a car can go 350 miles on one charge than I could be in, OR when they introduce the NIO (Chinese car) method where they change the batteries in minutes.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and 8YARWY
Good review mate. If we all liked the same it would be a very dull world. Are you going to commit? I’ve always said that IF a car can go 350 miles on one charge than I could be in OR the introduce the NIO (Chinese car) method where they change the batteries in minutes.

That’s the big question.

Range was realistic I’d say, 260 miles when we got in, 232 when we finished, and I drove that car hard, a lot it wouldn’t concern me going on a long trip in it, the Tesla charger network is something else I’ve been told.
I can park it up at my unit and leave it plugged in charging up all day, won’t cost me much at all.
So I can order one now for March delivery, or play the Audi where’s my car game for the next 9/10/11/12 months

Maybe I’ve just decided I need a change, a move away from Audi as a whole, when all said and done, they don’t value you as a customer, in my experience anyway.

Reactions: FBF01, Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
I think the only real thing that I didn't like and I would disagree with you was the central speed readout, I just didnt adapt to it, brakes, very similar thoughts, handling again surprised me with its feel, didnt feel heavy and went where I told it to.

Amazing how something so simple, easy to use would give just about any RS or even an R8 a hard time

Quite a refreshing change I thought, at the time I said I would have ordered one there and then except for the lack of hatch and the model Y just tips into the too ugly for me, that RSsymons guy can change the wooden stuff for Alcantara which would suit it better.

It might be an idea to try and find a 3 year old one and see how it's got on with UK life

PS: do an insurance quote, my Golf R is £240, they reckon the RS3 about the same, and yet a Tesla was £500

I think the only real thing that I didn't like and I would disagree with you was the central speed readout, I just didnt adapt to it, brakes, very similar thoughts, handling again surprised me with its feel, didnt feel heavy and went where I told it to.

Amazing how something so simple, easy to use would give just about any RS or even an R8 a hard time

Quite a refreshing change I thought, at the time I said I would have ordered one there and then except for the lack of hatch and the model Y just tips into the too ugly for me, that RSsymons guy can change the wooden stuff for Alcantara which would suit it better.

It might be an idea to try and find a 3 year old one and see how it's got on with UK life

PS: do an insurance quote, my Golf R is £240, they reckon the RS3 about the same, and yet a Tesla was £500

The company that do the alcantara inserts are northwest based so handy for me.
It would be my first mod

Reactions: Mike.46
On a similar theme, iv'e just bought a new Lawn Mower, I nearly bought a Petrol Hayter, I got talking to the sales bloke, it needs a service every year, spark plugs, oil, carb clean (maybe) setting up fuelling etc etc, dont leave unleaded fuel in it, needs belts checking, I thought, I just dont need all this sh*t in my life, I bought a Bosch advanced Rotak plug in, cut lawn, put it back in shed, sorted :)

That’s the big question.

Range was realistic I’d say, 260 miles when we got in, 232 when we finished, and I drove that car hard, a lot it wouldn’t concern me going on a long trip in it, the Tesla charger network is something else I’ve been told.
I can park it up at my unit and leave it plugged in charging up all day, won’t cost me much at all.
So I can order one now for March delivery, or play the Audi where’s my car game for the next 9/10/11/12 months

Maybe I’ve just decided I need a change, a move away from Audi as a whole, when all said and done, they don’t value you as a customer, in my experience anyway.

A Tesla was on Fifth Gear last night and they really disliked the removal of the coast feature so they commented the lift off battery regen was too severe ... it sounds like you were comfortable with it yeah ?

I am genuinely shocked you liked it enough to ditch a high performance Petrol powered car though mate ... but then again you may need your ‘Merc’ moment before seeing the light lol

Reactions: NevMan, Terminator x and 8YARWY
On a similar theme, iv'e just bought a new Lawn Mower, I nearly bought a Petrol Hayter, I got talking to the sales bloke, it needs a service every year, spark plugs, oil, carb clean (maybe) setting up fuelling etc etc, dont leave unleaded fuel in it, needs belts checking, I thought, I just dont need all this sh*t in my life, I bought a Bosch advanced Rotak plug in, cut lawn, put it back in shed, sorted :)

Battery lawnmower different thing all together to a car come on lol .. I’ve had a battery mower for years but it’s a tool for a job not a desirable car.

The company that do the alcantara inserts are northwest based so handy for me.
It would be my first mod

Or you could wait and be patient and hope that Audi come out with an etron RS3 in the coming years instead of all this id3/4 and low hp hybrid sh*t that VW?audi are offering (RS etron excluded)