RS3 v Tesla 3 Performance

Mike.46

Reaction score
I took a Tesla Model 3 Performance out today (just looking around to see whats available whilst waiting for my RS3)
Weird thing tbh, like nothing I have ever driven before,
On the plus points, quick from any 'normal' speed, the punch at 30/40/50 mph (and lets be honest is where most of your overtakes etc are done/started from) is staggering if youve never driven one, (just watch Carwows RS6 v Tesla 3 to get the idea) a little like holding a turbo car at max power/torque against the brakes then releasing brakes, but from just about any speed with just a press of the loud pedal.
I chucked it around a few roundabouts and fired it out, again felt very good, brakes were good as well (It does the Nurburgring 10 seconds quicker than our new RS3) car was generally rattle and squeek free, comfortable etc

Minus points,
Hard to keep a steady speed without that engine noise.
Speedo silly in top right hand corner of central big ipad, needs HUD
No room for dog :(.....might try him in footwell

I took a Tesla Model 3 Performance out today (just looking around to see whats available whilst waiting for my RS3)
On the plus points, quick from any 'normal' speed, the punch at 30/40/50 mph (and lets be honest is where most of your overtakes etc are done/started from) is staggering if youve never driven one, (just watch Carwows RS6 v Tesla 3 to get the idea) a little like holding a turbo car at max power/torque against the brakes then releasing brakes, but from just about any speed with just a press of the loud pedal.
I chucked it around a few roundabouts and fired it out, again felt very good, brakes were good as well (It does the Nurburgring 10 seconds quicker than our new RS3) car was generally rattle and squeek free, comfortable etc

Minus points,

I’ve been to look at the EV6 GT line.

Impressive car. Interior is really nice.

Tempted to wait for the 577hp GT model launched later this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mike.46
Imho the very vast majority of people get bored with EV acceleration after just a few light speed jumps. Without fail every EV that I see is being driven by Miss Daisy.

TX.

Reactions: AndyVWR, Mike.46, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
Imho the very vast majority of people get bored with EV acceleration after just a few light speed jumps. Without fail every EV that I see is being driven by Miss Daisy.

TX.

totally agree.
Had to laugh @Mike.46 mentioning the Tesla’s “loud pedal” ... sorry Mike ;)
If you’re just into rapid acceleration then perhaps an EV is for you but I agree with you TX they are one trick pony’s with zero noise = zero interest for me. My A45 was bad enough after a while so an EV would bore me ridiculously quickly.

Reactions: Mr Freeze, Terminator x, Mike.46 and 1 other person

TX.
Driven the Taycan 4s a type of automobile that's definitely not for me...far better looking than any Tesla of which are amongst some of most ugly/most ungainly things to hit the roads ....

Reactions: John Pilkington and Snake Pliskin
I have 3 clients with Model 3s. One has the Performance (as per link), and yeah Its Very Quick.......But thats it, no drama, no noise, and as Terminator x says, after several hoon's, its becomes somewhat uneventful.Reminds me of being on the Jubilee Line on way to Canary Wharf!!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: jimbo255, Terminator x and Snake Pliskin
I have 3 clients with Model 3s. One has the Performance (as per link), and yeah Its Very Quick.......But thats it, no drama, no noise, and as Terminator x says, after several hoon's, its becomes somewhat uneventful.Reminds me of being on the Jubilee Line on way to Canary Wharf!!!!!!

ha ha brilliant description :tearsofjoy:

Driven the Taycan 4s a type of automobile that's definitely not for me...far better looking than any Tesla of which are amongst some of most ugly/most ungainly things to hit the roads ....
My Neighbour has recently bought the Taycan Cross Tourissmo. Gone from a 700hp Tuned X5 competition to that. I ceramic coated a Taycan last year post full PPF, and the owner took me out. Again it was tummy churningly fast, but the lack of drama or tone from no engine just made it feel like any other EV.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Jassyo06

TX.
I think you'll find that they soon realise that when you floor it the battery voltage plummets and charge points are still few and far between anywhere but London.

Reactions: Terminator x, Snake Pliskin and Detail Devil
totally agree.
Had to laugh @Mike.46 mentioning the Tesla’s “loud pedal” ... sorry Mike ;)
If you’re just into rapid acceleration then perhaps an EV is for you but I agree with you TX they are one trick pony’s with zero noise = zero interest for me. My A45 was bad enough after a while so an EV would bore me ridiculously quickly.
Yes 'Loud pedal' :laugh::laugh: realised after I wrote that :)

I'm not into just rapid acceleration but more the whole package really, the ability to see a gap in todays 42mph traffic and go for it was an eye opener, no gear changes, no turbo spool up, nothing, just instantaneous go.

Then take the cost of ownership, no servicing (thats what they said!) no road tax and 12k worth of 'fuel' around £600 v £2400 for an RS3, that would make a Tesla about £2300 + servicing cost? cheaper to run per year than an RS3, insurance slightly more for some reason (£100), I imagine the RS3 would claw back some with it's low depreciation, unless the Uk Govt absolutely hammers Pertol/Diesel cars in the coming years

But would I miss the noise and the involvement of a petrol engine? I honestly don't know, 90% of the time we are just going places, I reckon 'play' time is only around 5-10% of my total driving time

Reactions: Alan Oliver and Snake Pliskin
Oh, the other plus point.....
''If I buy one when can I have it''..........................'March-April' are you sure? ''Yes, 100%, if you buy this week your car specced to you will be with you March-April''

Where's all the ''We havent got a clue when you will get it, it will start about a year away and then f*ck about coming closer and further away''

• Haha
Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Yes 'Loud pedal' :laugh::laugh: realised after I wrote that :)

I'm not into just rapid acceleration but more the whole package really, the ability to see a gap in todays 42mph traffic and go for it was an eye opener, no gear changes, no turbo spool up, nothing, just instantaneous go.

Then take the cost of ownership, no servicing (thats what they said!) no road tax and 12k worth of 'fuel' around £600 v £2400 for an RS3, that would make a Tesla about £2300 + servicing cost? cheaper to run per year than an RS3, insurance slightly more for some reason (£100), I imagine the RS3 would claw back some with it's low depreciation, unless the Uk Govt absolutely hammers Pertol/Diesel cars in the coming years

But would I miss the noise and the involvement of a petrol engine? I honestly don't know, 90% of the time we are just going places, I reckon 'play' time is only around 5-10% of my total driving time
Tesla = Zero kudos and are 10 a penny....but if you want cheaper running costs plus instant power the Tesla is a car for you

Reactions: Detail Devil and Snake Pliskin
Tesla = Zero kudos and are 10 a penny....but if you want cheaper running costs plus instant power the Tesla is a car for you
Yep, theres 100 Tesla Model 3 Performance for sale againt 325 RS3's on AT

exactly as Jassy says. If money is your driver and rapid overtakes then perhaps an EV is worthy of consideration for you.

For me it’s a case of enjoying petrol powered cars with exciting sound while we still can plus a petrol powered RS is desirable to me, an EV does nothing for me ... but that’s just me !

• Love
Reactions: Detail Devil, Terminator x and Jassyo06
exactly as Jassy says. If money is your driver and rapid overtakes then perhaps an EV is worthy of consideration for you.

For me it’s a case of enjoying petrol powered cars with exciting sound while we still can plus a petrol powered RS is desirable to me, an EV does nothing for me ... but that’s just me !
I'm not sure what it did for me tbh, the warp speed and pedal response was vastly different to anything else I have driven, that includes R8's, ex Factory Porsche GT2 race car and a couple of F40's including an F40LM.

I dont think it's for me tbh, well, not until my hands forced anyway, i'm just keeping 'up to speed' with whats available, and also when to turn left at the traffic lights when one whines up next to me :)

I think the surprising part is that the acceleration is going to be 'the norm' as time moves on, frightening that it will fall into peoples hands who have no use, need, or experience of such hp, they just want an EV

Reactions: Detail Devil and Snake Pliskin
Oh, the other plus point.....
''If I buy one when can I have it''..........................'March-April' are you sure? ''Yes, 100%, if you buy this week your car specced to you will be with you March-April''

Where's all the ''We havent got a clue when you will get it, it will start about a year away and then f*ck about coming closer and further away''

Yup. Guy up the street bought one, only took 2 months from order to delivery

Reactions: Mike.46 and Snake Pliskin
I'm not sure what it did for me tbh, the warp speed and pedal response was vastly different to anything else I have driven, that includes R8's, ex Factory Porsche GT2 race car and a couple of F40's including an F40LM.

I dont think it's for me tbh, well, not until my hands forced anyway, i'm just keeping 'up to speed' with whats available, and also when to turn left at the traffic lights when one whines up next to me :)

I think the surprising part is that the acceleration is going to be 'the norm' as time moves on, frightening that it will fall into peoples hands who have no use, need, or experience of such hp, they just want an EV

whines up next to you lol :)

I don't currently have anything with an RS badge, maybe an RS4 Avant in the pipeline in a few months, but even so you cannot replace that glorious tuned petrol engine symphony, it's something that makes performance cars such a joy to drive, it is that total driving experience of sound and motion together.
I won't be going electric anytime whilst I still have my license.

Reactions: Jassyo06, Detail Devil, Terminator x and 1 other person
I don't currently have anything with an RS badge, maybe an RS4 Avant in the pipeline in a few months, but even so you cannot replace that glorious tuned petrol engine symphony, it's something that makes performance cars such a joy to drive, it is that total driving experience of sound and motion together.
I'm just playing Devils Advocate here with the Tesla thread, I must admit though I REALLY wanted another Golf R, but the 8R is such a let down in every department except it's performance, looking around only the RS3 fits my desires, an RS4 is too much money,

I cant seem to get my head around a Merc and the BMW offering just doesnt exite me, saying an RS3 is a 'second' choice deosnt seem fair either, but that's life and once all the cloak and mirrors stuff around when i'm likely to get that email saying my car is built and awaiting shipping I guess I'll settle into RS3 ownership very nicely.

In the meantime I'll try and convince myself that I have made the correct decision (we have looked at AMG45S/RS4/Golf 8R/AMG C43/BMW M135/340I and D to name a few, the only one that has stood out was the Tesla, but I think it's a car change too early at present, a bit like buying a Betamax only to find that the VHS machine was the one to have :)

@Mike.46

Mr Fusion will be along soon then bye bye EV ;)

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 8YARWY
@Mike.46

Mr Fusion will be along soon then bye bye EV ;)

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

giphy.gif

Reactions: Terminator x
Again playing Devils Advocate how much of that glorious sound is computer generated and piped in these days? On my Golf R I turned the 'Soundaktor' off completely, my mate has a SQ5 which actually has loudspeakers feeding 'engine noise' into the exhaust pipes! He has fitted a Kufatec kit which he can then select what engine noise he wants, anything from V6/V8/V10, now, what noise would Sir like his Tesla to make?

Attachments

• SQ5 loudspeaker.jpg
    SQ5 loudspeaker.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 132
I'm just playing Devils Advocate here with the Tesla thread, I must admit though I REALLY wanted another Golf R, but the 8R is such a let down in every department except it's performance, looking around only the RS3 fits my desires, an RS4 is too much money,

I cant seem to get my head around a Merc and the BMW offering just doesnt exite me, saying an RS3 is a 'second' choice deosnt seem fair either, but that's life and once all the cloak and mirrors stuff around when i'm likely to get that email saying my car is built and awaiting shipping I guess I'll settle into RS3 ownership very nicely.

In the meantime I'll try and convince myself that I have made the correct decision (we have looked at AMG45S/RS4/Golf 8R/AMG C43/BMW M135/340I and D to name a few, the only one that has stood out was the Tesla, but I think it's a car change too early at present, a bit like buying a Betamax only to find that the VHS machine was the one to have :)

And as we know the VHS quality wasn’t as good as Beta.

This kind of stuff will sell in bucket loads when all milk floats

I’d want an ice cream van jingle

• Haha
Reactions: Jassyo06, Mike.46, NevMan and 1 other person
Any noise you like (@5:00) :tearsofjoy:

Any sound you like using a sound file? Fart noise on repeat is probably reflective of how I feel about EV :tearsofjoy:
TX.

• Haha
Reactions: Jassyo06, NevMan and Snake Pliskin
the ultimate in fake piped sound *** :tearsofjoy:
Your half way there with your RS3, piped sound through speakers and no manual gearbox option :scared2:

noise camera's being trialed now, the end is getting closer by the day, what next? ban all fossil fuel cars from City limits? more fuel tax? more road tax?

One way or another they will make it that genuine 5 cyl sound so expensive it will make you cry :(

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Your half way there with your RS3, piped sound through speakers and no manual gearbox option :scared2:

noise camera's being trialed now, the end is getting closer by the day, what next? ban all fossil fuel cars from City limits? more fuel tax? more road tax?

One way or another they will make it that genuine 5 cyl sound so expensive it will make you cry :(
Chin up old bean...what...what...lol

Reactions: Mike.46 and Snake Pliskin
What next? ban all fossil fuel cars from City limits?
The legal framework is going into place as we speak to make it illegal to self drive inside city limits. They are paving the way for autonomous vehicles. Supposedly in an effort to get rid of congestion, it will allow traffic to be re-routed by a computer to avoid any possibility of traffic jams caused by the likes of sporting events. In other words, Big Brother.

Minus points,

Interesting to hear your thoughts. If there was a £50k hot hatch type EV which fitted into my requirements then I would give it serious consideration.
I don’t consider a Model 3 meeting any of those requirements and as the RS3 likely to be gone in current form in next few years then feel need to own an RS3 now (helped along by interior which is more to my liking than new Golf)
Once the critical mass of SUV EVs have arrived then hopefully manufacturers will start building something that appeals to me. For example if Auto Express is to be believed then TT could appear as smaller version of E Tron GT. (Yes I know large pitch of salt required).
Until then, it’s RS3 fun then we’ll see

Reactions: Mike.46 and Terminator x
Interesting to hear your thoughts. If there was a £50k hot hatch type EV which fitted into my requirements then I would give it serious consideration.
I don’t consider a Model 3 meeting any of those requirements and as the RS3 likely to be gone in current form in next few years then feel need to own an RS3 now (helped along by interior which is more to my liking than new Golf)
Once the critical mass of SUV EVs have arrived then hopefully manufacturers will start building something that appeals to me. For example if Auto Express is to be believed then TT could appear as smaller version of E Tron GT. (Yes I know large pitch of salt required).
Until then, it’s RS3 fun then we’ll see
It really is worth just trying one out whilst waiting for our RS3, try a model 3 Performance, they're about 450hp/1800 kg, it's a bit of an eye opener as to where we are heading, you can drive around with just one pedal with regenerative braking, weird, the accelerator works like a brake but backwards, the further you lift off the quicker you stop and it will stop ok and quick enough, the transition from regenerative to actual brakes also seemless

As quick as just about anything to 60 , and 1/4 mile stuff and then you feel it starting to not accelerate as hard somehow? maybe that's what electric motors do? maybe it's battery management, not sure tbh

The 40-60, 50-80, type performance also very impressive, no changing down, spooling turbo's up, waiting for the power band etc, just pedal down-gone.

The handling surprised me, so I looked at Nurburgring times, 7:30, 10 seconds quicker than the RS3, thats a little annoying tbh, If VW or Audi put a similar battery/motor system into a A3/Golf it would be one to consider for me, although I believe it's probably another car change away :)

The handling surprised me, so I looked at Nurburgring times, 7:30, 10 seconds quicker than the RS3, thats a little annoying tbh, If VW or Audi put a similar battery/motor system into a A3/Golf it would be one to consider for me, although I believe it's probably another car change away :)

I don't think the model 3P is capable of a 7:30.10 lap time. Stock would be closer to 8mins. And it would likely only be able to do one before the brakes start fading big time. The 7:30.10 time relates to the Model S Plaid - with over 1000hp. https://insideevs.com/news/532116/tesla-models-plaid-record-nurburgring/ Very sketchy lap. You can see how it plows its way through corners in the record setting lap.

Reactions: Terminator x and Daggerit
I don't think the model 3P is capable of a 7:30.10 lap time. Stock would be closer to 8mins. And it would likely only be able to do one before the brakes start fading big time. The 7:30.10 time relates to the Model S Plaid - with over 1000hp. https://insideevs.com/news/532116/tesla-models-plaid-record-nurburgring/ Very sketchy lap. You can see how it plows its way through corners in the record setting lap.
And the only time that I can find for a Model 3 Performance is 7:44. That's pretty close to the RS3 but it also apparently had high performance suspension, larger brakes, racing wheels and track tyres fitted. Sounds like at least £5-8k worth of extras to get it to that point, on top of the £61k starting price...

Reactions: Mike.46 and Terminator x
And the only time that I can find for a Model 3 Performance is 7:44. That's pretty close to the RS3 but it also apparently had high performance suspension, larger brakes, racing wheels and track tyres fitted. Sounds like at least £5-8k worth of extras to get it to that point, on top of the £61k starting price...
Apologies, looks like I read the lap time incorrectly, still, 7:44 is still pretty good and dont forget the RS3 that Stipler drove also had 'track day' Trofeo tyres and the Ceramic front discs as well so on todays prices they're not a million miles apart

Reactions: Daggerit
Got no soul though @Mike.46 and looking at your old / current cars / bikes list would you be happy with that?
TX.

Apologies, looks like I read the lap time incorrectly, still, 7:44 is still pretty good and dont forget the RS3 also had 'track day' Trofeo tyres and the Ceramic front discs as well so on todays prices they're not a million miles apart
Even at the increased prices, you could pick up an RS3 with ceramics for just under £60k which would be a good chunk less cash than the Model 3 that did this test at closer to £70k.

Still impressive for the Tesla though, I'm not trying to say it wasn't. Just pointing out that the RS3 time is faster and was a car that you can actually buy from Audi (granted we can't get the tyres from them here in the UK, but you can everywhere else...) without being modified by an owner before going out. Also, you can fill up in a couple minutes once you do some laps rather than having to wait a long while to recharge the Tesla before being able to drive home. Lol.

Reactions: Terminator x and Mike.46
I wonder where these elctric cars are heading
Got no soul though @Mike.46 and looking at your old / current cars / bikes list would you be happy with that?
TX.
I honestly dont know is the truth, the Tesla demo drive surprised me a little, yes, I knew it would go off the line like a scalded cat, but the balance and handling did surprise me a little, would I be happy with one long term after the instant 'go' became boring? again, not sure, but, years ago (2010) I bought a BMW S1000RR that had the same effect, so much faster than anything else out there, and then 9 months later I was bored with it, it sounded the same as any other in line 4 cyl motorcycle, I bought a slower Aprilia RSV4 (for those that dont know motorcycles Aprilia is a V4, with an engine noise to die for)

I'm still hooked by that V4 noise and occasion to this day some 11 years later.

I imagine the EV is still in its infancy, batteries will become more powerfull/lighter/longer range/faster charging and the motor itself will follow suit maybe with some multitronic CVT type gearbox. quite scary just how quick it could all end up tbh

Reactions: Terminator x