RS3 vs Golf R400?

I think/hope that that Golf being tested on the road is wearing standard R clothing so as not to spoil a big reveal in the future.
If not, then its a great shame and an opportunity missed - the concept looked very good.

What is interesting is the rumour that Porsche will be turning to four pots for the next iterations of the Cayman and the Boxter. Both are very highly regarded cars, and I can't see Porsche wanting to either a) lose the meaty sound or b) synthesise it through speakers a la BMW M3/4.

If it is the case that, just through laws of engineering, a four pot cannot sound as good as a five, I wonder how they will tackle it. And as emissions regulations tighten, presumably it'll be an issue that Audi will end up facing, too, when they retire this engine?

New A45 is coming... next week.
Max power hot hatch again.

FLAT-OUT AND FEARLESS: MERCEDES-BENZ AT THE GOODWOOD FESTIVAL OF SPEED

Capturing the theme ‘Flat-out and Fearless: Racing on the Edge’, Mercedes-Benz is set to mark the 22nd running of the Goodwood Festival of Speed in spectacular style with global debuts and on-track action featuring the mightiest Mercedes-AMG cars for the track and the road as well as special celebrations, marking 60 years since the W 196 Silver Arrows last raced.

The Goodwood Festival of Speed will host the worldwide debut of the new generation A-Class, with the mightiest production hot hatch, the new Mercedes-AMG A 45, in action on the challenging, 1.16-mile Goodwood Hill – its 4MATIC system, agility and compact proportions making it ideally suited to the narrow, twisty route.

We have to wait until Thursday for good pictures.

345bhp for new focus rs ...

Yeah, supposedly less than £30k too.
Will undoubtedly drive well and the looks are growing on me (Although not that baby blue).
Worth a drive when they are available.

Reactions: veeeight
Only when you run out of talent.

Or road. ..... ;)

My current S3 drifts, but not under power.

Reactions: Blackwhite and billyali86

Reactions: Blackwhite
I think that is silver and 'lemon' they are like kids in a sweet shop on the Golf R Forums with people posting the pics and running to put deposits down on a car that may not be here for a year.

I like the yellow, and the rear arch extension looks spot on .. much more aggressive than the RS3.

I have 2 issues with it though, the alloys are bogging and no matter how quickly it goes, it's a 2.0 4 pot turbo which will sound cack .. :whistle2:

Reactions: Foxtrot_Oscar
any pics of the re-styled Merc A45 AMG yet ?

wheels are too 'gangsta' Do they have rotating chrome hubcaps too?

Wheels are slightly modern looking, an anthracite/gunmetal version would be great.
Far better than the dull as dishwater Rotor's.

If the car comes out looking like that it will be the best looking hatch out there.
How it drives is anyone's guess.

Reactions: lucas-suisse
anything's better than ****** rotors!

Reactions: veeeight and RMJ891
I like rotors - simple, elegant, easy to clean .. :friends:

The world would be a boring place if we all liked the same things though. I like the Pretoria alloys on the R, hate the rotor style ones on the Golf GTi, like the 18's on the GTD.

I think choice of alloys on most of the Audi range is poor, for my S4 it was rotors, peelers or a new 5 spoke split one that's just not very nice at all.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
A45 AMG, June 2013, just updated with new facelift, motor, technology and options, starting to sell in July, first deliveries in September 2015.

- New front end
- Redesigned tail-lights
- Integrated exhaust pipes
- Optional LED headlights

- upgraded infotainment system, 8.0in screen on higher trim levels, compatible with Apple Carplay and Mirrorlink
- new materials and a range of new interior colours and optional ambient lighting with higher trim levels

- A45 upgraded from 355bhp to 376bhp and +18lb ft lift in torque.
- Revised seven-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox with shorter ratios for third to seventh along with new software
- New Dynamic Plus package, with mechanical locking front differential
- Adaptive damping system (Comfort, Sport and Eco)
- 0-62mph in 4.2s (0.4sec faster than the pre-facelifted model and 0.1sec faster than RS3)
- Consumption and CO2 emissions remain the same as before (40.9mpg and 162g/km respectively)

Available to order from 3 July, with the first cars heading to customers in September.
Prices not expected to vary wildly from the current line-up.

Reactions: veeeight and Snake Pliskin
A45 AMG, June 2013, just updated with new facelift, motor, technology and options, starting to sell in July, first deliveries in September 2015.

- New front end
- Redesigned tail-lights
- Integrated exhaust pipes
- Optional LED headlights

- upgraded infotainment system, 8.0in screen on higher trim levels, compatible with Apple Carplay and Mirrorlink
- new materials and a range of new interior colours and optional ambient lighting with higher trim levels

- A45 upgraded from 355bhp to 376bhp and +18lb ft lift in torque.
- Revised seven-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox with shorter ratios for third to seventh along with new software
- New Dynamic Plus package, with mechanical locking front differential
- Adaptive damping system (Comfort, Sport and Eco)
- 0-62mph in 4.2s (0.4sec faster than the pre-facelifted model and 0.1sec faster than RS3)
- Consumption and CO2 emissions remain the same as before (40.9mpg and 162g/km respectively)

Available to order from 3 July, with the first cars heading to customers in September.
Prices not expected to vary wildly from the current line-up.

They are pretty good & comprehensive revisions for a mid life face lift.

0.4 seconds off the 62mph time is impressive and now immediately beats the RS3.

Revised gear box too.

Full LED lights.

Defo have to check it out.

If the front diff works well, it could make this the fastest in a straight line and when you throw a corner at it.
Very surprised Audi haven't offered this yet, it would vastly improve the set up.

The looks of the A45 are growing on me somewhat the more I see, but it still isn't a looker.

and it still looks like somebody has used Bostick to glue an Ipad to the dash!

and it still looks like somebody has used Bostick to glue an Ipad to the dash!

It not only looks like that, it have real iPad functions :D

Navigation with maps, fully integrated music streaming: apple music, spotify... (menus and playlists in screen, car controls, max quality..), full phone integration, messages, Siri... and more to come with continuous updates and new apps.

I would like to see that option in RS3, although had to glue a 8 "screen on the dashboard. For me is a must-have in any new car.

Mercedes-A-Klasse-Facelift-1200x800-9b48d0b329aebb52.jpg

That looks like it has been designed for under 8's. There are tiny buttons throughout the centre console, and giant icons on the MMI which looks like it has been designed by VTech (who make childrens computers).

Reactions: T-800 and Yorrick
That looks like it has been designed for under 8's. There are tiny buttons throughout the centre console, and giant icons on the MMI which looks like it has been designed by VTech (who make childrens computers).

Apple people... newbies with UIX stuff.

Removable? One sneeze is all it will take!

I quite like the front bumper/spoiler and side sills though. The way the bumper rises to meet the badge and the black plastic looks like it's unpainted like an All-road so it'll not show scratches and chips so much. Much better than the retarded front of the Mk2 RS3 with it's chin strap and side vents that go nowhere. We need this designer rather than Audi's Stephan Fahr-Becker. Who can't even be bothered to drive the car before he styles it.

Reactions: T-800
Looks pretty good here.

The styling is quite striking IMO ....

Reactions: Blackwhite and veeeight