RS3 vs Golf R400?

I have to say it has somewhat taken my be surprise.

Seeing pictures of the face lift car and spec / performance changes it has caught my eye.

I have to give this car serious consideration along with the RS3 for my next car.

Visually I think the A45 looks superb.

I'm not 100% convinced by the sound it makes and this could be where the Audi still beats it for me.

But styling wise - it appeals to me a lot.

Reactions: veeeight
I do love the styling and it was a 50/50 toss up between this and the RS3 for me. Lets be honest the performance difference between the 2 is not even noticeable to us mere mortals. The things that swung it for me are dash design, 5 pot sound and ridiculously small boot on the Merc. It really is tiny with a narrow opening so no chance in getting sign off on that from the mrs ;-) So RS3 it is, when I eventually get a BW and delivery that is.

Reactions: voorhees
Im considering A45 too. With this option I'll not wait one year or more for a3/s3/rs3 facelift.

Current RS3 is discarded for me, I think it's a 2012-2013 car released in 2015 with 2015 price. It needs a facelift ASAP with some look, motor upgrade, new tech and new options.

In that video A45 and RS3 are together:

eAe870v.jpg

B14R86Z.jpg

A45 looks great.
Just needs to lose the shopping trolley handle spoiler.

Pretty sure that a45 is the ugliest thing I've seen on this forum. With looks like that it sure does need better performance than the rs. There are plenty of people moaning about the lack of arch flare on the rs3 but look at that. Horrible lines and far too round.

Reactions: Yorrick
looks good in red too ....

2016-mercedes-amg-a-45-5_2560-jpg.341199

2016-mercedes-amg-a-45-3_2560-jpg.341197

Looks like a 10 year old boy designed it. Do you really want to drive something that looks like it might 'transform' into a robot? Not a car for grown-ups to be seen in. Lesser A series can look good but this looks like a kids toy.

Reactions: lucas-suisse
Above is with the aero pack, which is optional, can be specced without it which looks pretty tasty, I would always spec the aero pack though
7e2396915473df70522ced091a3cef59.jpg

b3fa2fc9fea2534d5328c44c2e247dfa.jpg

Strange how people are getting so wound up about the rs3 not having much flaring on the arches. Yet this has none and people are falling over themselves about it

Reactions: veeeight, Snake Pliskin, kayemill and 1 other person
Better without the aero pack. Still can't see the Chairman getting out of one though...

in grey or silver paint finish with the contrasting black trim would look very tasteful.

I like it with or without aero though too.

561c6564b66c0b3f094203392791aae9.jpg

Front air intake looks like this mouth.. The Mercedes Grimmace AMG.

Reactions: T-800 and RYuill
CLA45 and GLA45 will be upgraded soon to 381HP and all other technical upgrades like new gearshift, driving modes, optional mechanical locking differential on the front axle. Other options (like carplay & mirror link) are coming too.

For me A45 moved up to first place with this facelift. Current models (RS3, CLA45) are outdated and others aren't released yet.

1. A45 (2016 model)
2. Unavailable / RS3 (2016 Facelift - Early 2016?)
3. Unavailable / CLA45 (Upgraded - September 2015)
4. Unavailable / M2 (Late 2015?)
5. Unavailable / Golf R420 (2016)

92S68aZ.png

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Lol if you are always waiting for facelifts you will never go for a car

Reactions: Yorrick
Lol if you are always waiting for facelifts you will never go for a car

Why? facelifts and new models are coming continuously. I prefer to buy when all-new or facelift is released, not when base model is 3 years old, like RS3, and facelift is coming in less than 1 year (probably in 6-9 months, geneva-2016).

A45 facelift just released, I go for A45 now! just waiting for configurator and some test. Price should be good, getting -20% off in any mercedes car.

Why? facelifts and new models are coming continuously. I prefer to buy when all-new or facelift is released, not when base model is 3 years old, like RS3, and facelift is coming in less than 1 year (probably in 6-9 months, geneva-2016).

A45 facelift just released, I go for A45 now! just waiting for configurator and some test. Price should be good, getting -20% off in any mercedes car.
You may sneak a mule in 12 months; no chance a new model A3 to replace the 8v in 6 to 9 months whatsoever. The new A4 has only just been announced publicly, and is being launched in Frankfurt September; UK order books open maybe end 2015 - but likely Q1 2016; with deliveries from Mar 16. The RS4 (may) be launched within the first 18 months of the new A4 being launched - but not confirmed. so that's up to 2 years away.

How you squeeze in all new or face-lift 8X A3 inside those timelines is beyond me; there certainly won't be a new/face-lift RS3 for at least 2 if not three years.

If there is no sign of a new RS4 on the near horizon, there certainly isn't a new RS3.....

You will, be waiting quite so time.

Reactions: Disco Dal
The Aero is a Marmite thing, i myself have that red 1 as its depicted in the Picture, running 420BHP. The problem both cars have especially the RS3 is it looks poor, it sounds good but i don't spend 50k on a car cos it sounds good. The way MB did it was give you the Aero option, so like me if you wanted it in ya face you had the option,without Aero it does look like the RS3 understated and like any Aclass, Audi don't give you any option to make it look nice, unless your looking at the rear its a TDI SLine. But it will of course be sombodys cup of tea, My mates just ordered one delivery sept 47K, after pulling out from a Golf R that was damaged on delivery. Now if they do the saloon version that would be nice, and do believe i saw something that they are, think theres a video out of it.

I think until Revo etc release the Mods we won't know how much it can be modded, its been debated that because Audi had to cut down emissions the knock-on effect this may have had to the movability of it... but I'm sure somebody will get round it....

the A45 facelift is circa 375 + BHP with an S model coming in at prob 400+ its a numbers game for the vendors, but RENNtech have the edition 459 so i suppose it'll keep creeping.

I have 3 kids 2 MTBs and the 45 does me for what i need, i do lust after a 4matic C63S if it ever comes, or a Porsche GT4 ( leave some kids at home LOL )

Theres not much on the RD that worrys me apart from a GTR and my mates 650S Maclaren LOL, but as i said everybody has differing opionions, you can never satisfy them all so its always subjective, i do know this though the RS3 will feel more powerful due to the 2.5L and its lowdown grunt, but add a RENNtech unit to the 45 and the world changes, that or you could pay the Extra 3k and have the official BRABUS upgrade to 400BHP..... Milton keynes MB do it...all covered under warranty

LOL. yep the RS3 is bald as a coot!
:wink new:

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I like the fact both cars are so similar yet so far apart, imagine you want a smallish hatchback with all weather performance that goes like a rocket looks good and sounds great and has badge appeal.
Then you could have either, all you have to choose is wether your an understated sort of guy or wether your someone that likes a seat of your pants type of looks and feel.
According to piston heads the new facelift A45 is ten seconds faster round the burg than the existing model, that shows it's more than a BHP bump, that new diff makes a Hell of a difference

Configurator for new A45 is ready in .de mercedes site

PB6lcBA.png

wAXmA2X.png

6sBAHb2.png

P0kuBIO.png

Ke2bFpy.png

Reactions: veeeight, Blackwhite and Snake Pliskin
CLA45 and GLA45 are also upgraded to 381PS and new technical options.

CLA45 is also 4,2s in 0-62mph
GLA45 is 4,4s

Remind me again why this RS3 Vs Golf R400 thread is filling up with A45 stuff? Why not start another thread outside of the RS3 forum, so that those who are actually interested can participate?

Reactions: GRE57Y, DAYTONA 500, T-800 and 4 others
Remind me again why this RS3 Vs Golf R400 thread is filling up with A45 stuff? Why not start another thread outside of the RS3 forum, so that those who are actually interested can participate?
Same old same old I'm afraid.

Reactions: Nimbus265 and DAYTONA 500

Don't be silly they couldn't possibly do that as all they want to do is turn every topic into.................
1Ra48.gif

Reactions: Nimbus265 and T-800
Wow!! now that's an impressive pile of stuff

Reactions: Nimbus265
A45 this.......A45 that.........sometimes it's like stumbling into an A45 owners club by mistake.

They'll be renaming it soon.... Mercedes Sport.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nimbus265 and DAYTONA 500
That centre console just looks soo cack in the A class - full 10 digit keypad? That is ancient! And the screen is a big after thought "ooops where we putting the infotainment screen guys"

Whereas in the new A3 it's simple and classy design.

That centre console just looks soo cack in the A class - full 10 digit keypad? That is ancient! And the screen is a big after thought "ooops where we putting the infotainment screen guys"

Whereas in the new A3 it's simple and classy design.

It's because Merc's are aimed at the ancient who won't be able to work out an input method more complex than 1 button for every 3 letters. So while the A45 is aimed at 25-35 yr olds, it's based on a vehicle aimed at 55+ yr olds. Whereas the A3 is aimed at a much younger market that know how to use a touch/cursor based system!

But people are still talking about the blo0dy car! and filling the forum up with pages of irrelavant to the thread pictures - wheres the ignore thread button! Sheeeeesh

Why bother having thread titles people, when it would appear that that a) people don't read the thread title and post all sorts on non-related tosh in here and b) theres almost zero moderation to keep the forums tidy. A little self discipline is all that is required. Its damn dissapointing to see a new alert for a new post, and click on it to find some numpy posting irrelavant drivel.

On behalf of those that care - if you want to talk about particular mercedes car - go and start a new thread - preferably on another forum, or on an area of this forum which is not model specific...

Rant over!

Reactions: GRE57Y, T-800, RYuill and 2 others
It's seems some on here prefer to keep this Merc love thing going.

Christ you'd think most of them don't even own an Audi let alone an RS3......

It's seems some on here prefer to keep this Merc love thing going.

Christ you'd think most of them don't even own an Audi let alone an RS3......

Owning an audi or an rs3 doesn't mean you can't appreciate other brands and their cars for what they are

Reactions: Blackwhite
I'm all for that it's just lately all the people on this RS3 section want to do is discuss the A45 at every opportunity

And anyway, just about everybody knows that the A45 is a much much better driver focussed car than the RS3 :p

Sometimes, the truth hurts.
(But if it hurts too much, just skip over that post/thread, no one is forcing you to read it)

Reactions: Blackwhite
And anyway, just about everybody knows that the A45 is a much much better driver focussed car than the RS3 :p

(But if it hurts too much, just skip over that post/thread, no one is forcing you to read it)

How about not posting something to get a reaction?

Reactions: DAYTONA 500

Says the unhappy Four Pot S3 owner:scared2: , it can't be that good as surly you'd be driving one .Ive come to the conclusion that some people just can't read as It's being posted in the wrong topic Volkswagen v Audi is the title :yes:no mention of Mercedes :sadlike:

Last edited:
Reactions: GRE57Y