RS3 ... Yes or No...

Luc s1

Reaction score
I want to buy a RS3 8v but there is that problem with the breaks .
I read a lot off things and there is at the moment no sollution only changing disks and pats ...
Are there people that haven't had any problems with the breaks !!??
Want to buy it as my dealy drive ..20000km/year.

Hello Luc S1,

RS3 8V brakes are sXXt...yes.

I've done 31000km in 11 months, it is a perfect daily drive.

Buy it.

regards

P.S BUY IT!!!

Hello Luc S1,

RS3 8V brakes are sXXt...yes.

I've done 31000km in 11 months, it is a perfect daily drive.

Buy it.

regards

P.S BUY IT!!!
31000 km with howmany disks and path's ??
I want a car like my wifes Audi S1 .. No problems only check up's and maintenance!

The brakes are fine for road use, some people complain about them for the track however it isn't a track car remember. Some do seem to suffer from very low speed brake squeal (mine has started recently and I'm at 18k miles original pads etc) which is where the "change the pads" comment comes from - Audi seem aware albeit reluctant to sort it out as a warranty issue.

Best car I've ever owned by a country mile. JFDI.

TX.

Reactions: Radman and 45bvtc
I read a lot off things and there is at the moment no sollution only changing disks and pats ...

The brakes are fine for road use, some people complain about them for the track however it isn't a track car remember. Some do seem to suffer from very low speed brake squeal (mine has started recently and I'm at 18k miles original pads etc) which is where the "change the pads" comment comes from - Audi seem aware albeit reluctant to sort it out as a warranty issue.

Best car I've ever owned by a country mile. JFDI.

TX.

As with the 8P RS3 Luc s1, Audi have never completely resolved the low speed brake squeal issue but interestingly the issue doesn't occur on ALL cars only some and to date I've not found the reason why. The brake issue (scored discs and or low speed brake squeal) fix for the 8V RS3 is the same as that for the 8P RS3; just replace the OEM brake pads with EBC Redstuff and no worries.

And 'terminator x' is correct in that the STD brakes are "fine for road use" and again when he says "Best car I've ever owned by a country mile".

Had our RS3 for 5-years now and wouldn't swap it for anything else :yahoo:

Prepare change of discs and pads. My rearbrakes are looking like they have been in a war at the moment just 20500 km and front disc swapped once already so keep it in the calculation from the beginning and it should be fine. They are looking like cr** but no vibrations for the moment and haven't had the squeel problem at all but that can change rapidly. I will also say its the best car I ever have had by far so just buy it if you can live with the upcoming issue? I think its easier to know it from start and be prepared than have it thrown in the face, just what I feel.

Prepare change of discs and pads. My rearbrakes are looking like they have been in a war at the moment just 20500 km and front disc swapped once already so keep it in the calculation from the beginning and it should be fine. They are looking like cr** but no vibrations for the moment and haven't had the squeel problem at all but that can change rapidly. I will also say its the best car I ever have had by far so just buy it if you can live with the upcoming issue? I think its easier to know it from start and be prepared than have it thrown in the face, just what I feel.
The change off the front disc's warranty o

The change off the front disc's warranty o

An Audi dealer will only change brake disc or pad for OEM brake disc (whatever variant they're now at) and/or pad. Most Audi dealers will tell you they've "never heard of a brake issue with an RS3." Some of us who've had an RS3 or TTRS for some time will tell you otherwise. Whatever, the RS3 is a superb motor car and any "problems with the breaks" as you put it are easily resolved, but not by Audi UK or Audi GmbH.

Please remember that the number of cars suffering brake issues are small, not all cars have an issue, and sometimes I do wonder whether the issue is driver related, maybe. One thing for sure is that a brake pad swap resolves most issues (swapped so many over myself) when the car is used as a daily driver.

An Audi dealer will only change brake disc or pad for OEM brake disc (whatever variant they're now at) and/or pad. Most Audi dealers will tell you they've "never heard of a brake issue with an RS3." Some of us who've had an RS3 or TTRS for some time will tell you otherwise. Whatever, the RS3 is a superb motor car and any "problems with the breaks" as you put it are easily resolved, but not by Audi UK or Audi GmbH.

Please remember that the number of cars suffering brake issues are small, not all cars have an issue, and sometimes I do wonder whether the issue is driver related, maybe. One thing for sure is that a brake pad swap resolves most issues (swapped so many over myself) when the car is used as a daily driver.

Yes, part of that I can accept but for instance as you are saying that it is maybe the "driver related problems", I almost hear Audi saying it ):. It's true, depending how you think, brakes should work meaning that you have to drive it like you haven't any brakes and brake frome there and you will be fine. If you think it from the aspect that they are big with a lot of brake power and you shouldn't have to think how you are braking, then they gonna be wasted faster than you think. I have said it before that this is the worst quality brakes I have ever seen on a car and the brake setup is wrong from the beginning and it does take som joy from a otherwise superb car. The mass haven't probably driven so many miles/km until today so the problem is gonna expand when they do.

Yes, got my front discs and pads on warranty and after that you are on your own, they said, doesn't matter what is gonna happen to the brakes. Those words I don't like at all but hey you can't do anything about so just take it and pay or choose another car brand.

Yes, part of that I can accept but for instance as you are saying that it is maybe the "driver related problems", I almost hear Audi saying it ):. It's true, depending how you think, brakes should work meaning that you have to drive it like you haven't any brakes and brake frome there and you will be fine. If you think it from the aspect that they are big with a lot of brake power and you shouldn't have to think how you are braking, then they gonna be wasted faster than you think. I have said it before that this is the worst quality brakes I have ever seen on a car and the brake setup is wrong from the beginning and it does take som joy from a otherwise superb car. The mass haven't probably driven so many miles/km until today so the problem is gonna expand when they do.

Yes, got my front discs and pads on warranty and after that you are on your own, they said, doesn't matter what is gonna happen to the brakes. Those words I don't like at all but hey you can't do anything about so just take it and pay or choose another car brand.

I say 'maybe driver related" as I've yet to discover another reason where all parts are the same and the driver the only variable. I once collected an RS3 from Stafford Audi and within 10-miles it had low-speed brake squeal. My own car, well documented, developed low-speed brake squeal at 1250 miles and I then sorted the issue myself with self-adhesive anti-squeal shims. A year later and I succumbed to a 47i6 upgrade all free and to include a free service and 1250 miles later the low speed brake squeal was back. Again, I sorted it myself but this time with Brembo anti-squeal shims. We then found brake pad rivets scoring the discs! I know of 5-cars on original brake discs and pads and zero issues. I've been using EBC Redstuff for 3-years front and rear and have zero issues, pads and discs are perfect for road use.

The object here however to to assure Luc s1 that brake issues with the RS3 are not unresolvable issue and not to deride the RS3 due to others wanting something different; the RS3 for me, and for you (as I know you like yours lots), and for many others, is the perfect all-weather road car for UK use.

I'm 5-years in and wouldn't change my RS3 for anything else and 100% recommend Luc s1 to go purchase asap.

I say 'maybe driver related" as I've yet to discover another reason where all parts are the same and the driver the only variable. I once collected an RS3 from Stafford Audi and within 10-miles it had low-speed brake squeal. My own car, well documented, developed low-speed brake squeal at 1250 miles and I then sorted the issue myself with self-adhesive anti-squeal shims. A year later and I succumbed to a 47i6 upgrade all free and to include a free service and 1250 miles later the low speed brake squeal was back. Again, I sorted it myself but this time with Brembo anti-squeal shims. We then found brake pad rivets scoring the discs! I know of 5-cars on original brake discs and pads and zero issues. I've been using EBC Redstuff for 3-years front and rear and have zero issues, pads and discs are perfect for road use.

The object here however to to assure Luc s1 that brake issues with the RS3 are not unresolvable issue and not to deride the RS3 due to others wanting something different; the RS3 for me, and for you (as I know you like yours lots), and for many others, is the perfect all-weather road car for UK use.

I'm 5-years in and wouldn't change my RS3 for anything else and 100% recommend Luc s1 to go purchase asap.
There's a dutch guy ... See .. Report break problems RS3 and TTRS...
The 3 cars i tested so far had the break squeal or had already changed the disc's and path's and this with verry little km on the car.
I known myself ... I become crazzy when it happens and there is no real sullution for it.

In answer to the 'Yes or No':

Yes yes yes yes yes yes YES YES YES YES!!!!

I have been one of the 'lucky' ones, no brake squeal at all. Had mine a year now. 14500km in that time.

If you decide not to do it because of the potential for brake squeal (and this is just a noise not an issue with the brakes not working, my Scirocco had similar but is fine!) then you will miss out on an awesome car.

There are solutions out there, and recently I have read that Audi may be actually trying to resolve it. Not holding breath though...

Reactions: 45bvtc and T-800
There's a dutch guy ... See .. Report break problems RS3 and TTRS...
The 3 cars i tested so far had the break squeal or had already changed the disc's and path's and this with verry little km on the car.
I known myself ... I become crazzy when it happens and there is no real sullution for it.

In less than 12-hours you've convinced me you're a definite 'No'. An RS3 is not for you.

Reactions: Ozmosis
In answer to the 'Yes or No':

Yes yes yes yes yes yes YES YES YES YES!!!!

GOOD you still love your RS3 Oz' as I still do mine; I for one can't understand the crap (a technical term) that is so much written about this fabulous all-weather motor car. Took 3-days for me to hand over the cash for mine and I still have it and other than low-speed brake squeal easily sorted have had zero problems.
The perfect motor car for me and mine is the Audi RS3 - much prefer the 8P version mind...
59.gif

Don't care if others have issues with the RS3 as I for one, and a fair few others, don't...

PS: swapped my avatar back just to show support for the humble Audi RS3...:superman:

Last edited:
Reactions: Rs1 and Ozmosis
GOOD you still love your RS3 Oz' as I still do mine; I for one can't understand the **** (a technical term) that is so much written about this fabulous all-weather motor car. Took 3-days for me to hand over the cash for mine and I still have it and other than low-speed brake squeal easily sorted have had zero problems.
The perfect motor car for me and mine is the Audi RS3 - much prefer the 8P version mind...
59.gif

Don't care if others have issues with the RS3 as I for one, and a fair few others, don't...

PS: swapped my avatar back just to show support for the humble Audi RS3...:superman:

We all know that the reviews are written by journos who love a "dab of oppo"... Any and all cars take time to learn and appreciate from my perspective. The RS3 was no exception, yes the immediacy of the engine note and oomph were there from the get-go, but all the other factors came over time.

I have had mine since November last year, and I can honestly say that I was a little nervous with all that power on slippery Polish roads during the worst time of year. Wasn't so much snow, but greasy wet roads and cold! The RS3 is a puppy dog. Takes everything in its stride, and sometimes it was good to have the Mrs in the car as my speed limiter, because the car is just so capable you just go with it occasionally, and try to challenge it!

I have never driven an 8P version, so can only appreciate mine hahaha!

Lovin' the avatar by the way ;-)

Reactions: 45bvtc
Wait for the new one to come out in 2017 'tearsofjoy'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done 26k not one problem with breaks no squeals nothing....just changed front pads couple weeks ago

Reactions: 45bvtc
Forget the brake squeal, it is a minor issue and easily resolvable. I had this in the 8P and resolved it with the warranty replaced calipers and self-adhesive shims stuck to the back of the brake pads by the local mechanic. Drove that car for 55k miles and loved it. Got the new 8V and had the same issue but this time resolved it myself rather than wait for the dealer/Audi UK to reluctantly do something about it. Using 45bvtc instructions and about £20 worth of mintex self-adhesive shims/ceratec (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251292559571?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT) plus the tools in the boot I got this sorted in less than 2 hours and haven't had a squeak since.

Reactions: Ozmosis, 45bvtc and Terminator x
Thursday13th October 2011: viewed, sat in, and drove my first RS3 at Stafford Audi

Saturday 15th October 2011: unable to order new (all sold) we'd located and purchased on of the only two UK physically available RS3s

DK Eng MAIN ADVERT

Friday 25th November 2016: still have it and having driven ALL of the current Audi range there's nothing I'd replace it with...

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Ozmosis and Terminator x
Don't you mean Brakes

Reactions: steeve
Sorry, I will crawl back under a rock!

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3 and Ozmosis
Don't be so pedantic dear! Plenty of people here have English as a second language...
Won't they appreciate the correction then, rather than being left to get it wrong time after time?

Reactions: gary911
Won't they appreciate the correction then, rather than being left to get it wrong time after time?

Yeah sure. But if you look into the replies, 'brakes' has been spelt correctly...

But writing is always much more difficult than speaking a second language.

This could get nasty!

No nastiness here!

Chil; spel knit imprtant in grite kars lice audi an knw woris
6650.gif

Reactions: Ozmosis
It is a ......yessssss! .... bought One !!!!
Me happy

Reactions: Richierich37, Spaceman_RS3 and 45bvtc
Well done . Where are the pictures for them like me wot cant afford an RS3 ! ! !

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL ......

It is a ......yessssss! .... bought One !!!!
Me happy
Well done.

Listen, all this brake stuff is mostly nonsense. Brake squeel is common across all cars and is EASILY rectified. I am afraid it has been blown out of all proportion because the average Audi dealer/repair shop are not mechanics or technicians, they are just monkeys driven by what the computer tells them to do. Audi are no better by allowing the situation to fester, but they are only interested in selling new cars so maybe understandable.

I do not want to get into a technical dialogue on brakes as it is such a subjective subject with opinions running wild. All I will say is that brake squeel is 99.9% due to the pads moving in their cage that is easily cured by fitting a marque that has tighter tolerances (maybe Redstuff), using 3m shims and brake paste (not copper grease) around the edges. As for warped discs, well outside of serious, and I mean serious racing, this just does not happen!

And if you do get a squeel or judder problem, do not panic and run around fighting Audi on warranties, simply find someone who knows brakes and has a reputation for getting them right. Leave the car with him or her for a day and I guarantee you all be be sorted. Or, if you want - take a trip to the south of France and I will do it for you! Happy new year RS3ing!

Congrats mate you'll not regret it, driven mine hundreds of times and still grin when it gets into that lion roar stage of noise!

Also as others have said you'll only ever hear problems on forums not the hundreds of other people with no problems, nobody ever starts a thread saying 'just to let you all know my RS3 is running fine'

Well done.

Listen, all this brake stuff is mostly nonsense. Brake squeel is common across all cars and is EASILY rectified. I am afraid it has been blown out of all proportion because the average Audi dealer/repair shop are not mechanics or technicians, they are just monkeys driven by what the computer tells them to do. Audi are no better by allowing the situation to fester, but they are only interested in selling new cars so maybe understandable.

I do not want to get into a technical dialogue on brakes as it is such a subjective subject with opinions running wild. All I will say is that brake squeel is 99.9% due to the pads moving in their cage that is easily cured by fitting a marque that has tighter tolerances (maybe Redstuff), using 3m shims and brake paste (not copper grease) around the edges. As for warped discs, well outside of serious, and I mean serious racing, this just does not happen!

And if you do get a squeel or judder problem, do not panic and run around fighting Audi on warranties, simply find someone who knows brakes and has a reputation for getting them right. Leave the car with him or her for a day and I guarantee you all be be sorted. Or, if you want - take a trip to the south of France and I will do it for you! Happy new year RS3ing!

Not to be rude... but the comment about having to do serious racing to warp discs is ******. I've not done any racing, track days or even pushed it hard on normal roads and my front right is warped.....for the second time in the cars life.
Also the discs were only 1500 miles old when it happened.

But brake squeal can be sorted easily.

Not to be rude... but the comment about having to do serious racing to warp discs is ******. I've not done any racing, track days or even pushed it hard on normal roads and my front right is warped.....for the second time in the cars life.
Also the discs were only 1500 miles old when it happened.

But brake squeal can be sorted easily.

I can just also fill in that it does not needs any track days or hard racing elsewere to warped these front discs. The right side disc which has wrong construction is gonna warp because of curved cooling cannel and will go much warmer than the left side, everyone knows and can understand it, you don't have to be a mechanic to understand it, the cooling is backwards and doesn't work. Also it has less surface because of the wavy design and pads are pretty dusty. Brakes is the one and only bad thing on this car and as I have said before, you have to include aftermarket brakes in the price of buying this otherwise incredible good car and you are fine.

Reactions: Swipe18
As I say, it is all subjective. Unless you are taking the casting up to red heat and beyond, it is going to take an awful lot to bend them. They are after all a pretty hefty casting.

There are many factors that produce the feel of warped discs and I am afraid they all get lumped into this horrible word 'warped'.

The wavey design does not reduce the active area. The waves are added onto the circumference that the Brembo caliper asks for. The waves are purely for looks and came about after Audi purchased Ducatti and a bright designer decided to celebrate by putting the moto look into the RSs.

So sure am I, that on the basis I will need a new set of discs in a year or two, I am more than happy to buy a set of anyone's 'warped' discs that have no more than 1500 miles of normal use on them..!

As I say, it is all subjective. Unless you are taking the casting up to red heat and beyond, it is going to take an awful lot to bend them. They are after all a pretty hefty casting.

There are many factors that produce the feel of warped discs and I am afraid they all get lumped into this horrible word 'warped'.

The wavey design does not reduce the active area. The waves are added onto the circumference that the Brembo caliper asks for. The waves are purely for looks and came about after Audi purchased Ducatti and a bright designer decided to celebrate by putting the moto look into the RSs.

So sure am I, that on the basis I will need a new set of discs in a year or two, I am more than happy to buy a set of anyone's 'warped' discs that have no more than 1500 miles of normal use on them..!
Now I will be slightly ruder.. you are talking ******. many factors that produce the feel of warped discs.... how about I've run a brake roller over them and the front right is 'warped'. I understand there can be other factors but to sit there saying that some us are wrong it utter ******.
It doesn't take a awful lot to bend them.

Happy new year
And car what colour and spec you get in the end.

Reactions: Swipe18
Warping isn't a big issue, other than a couple on here I've never heard of it. Brake squeal more so however easy to sort when you change pads.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Now I will be slightly ruder.. you are talking ******. many factors that produce the feel of warped discs.... how about I've run a brake roller over them and the front right is 'warped'. I understand there can be other factors but to sit there saying that some us are wrong it utter ******.
It doesn't take a awful lot to bend them.

Yep, it is maybe me. You see, I have just never experienced warping or indeed seen a disc that is truly warped. Actually that is a lie, someone showed me one off a F3000 car a long time back but it was allegedly bordering on red and white heat for a lot of the race.

My SLK55 does not have handed cooling vanes and with its diabolical suspension, I live on the wretched brakes and just cannot warp the discs, no matter how hard I try!

Happy new year
And car what colour and spec you get in the end.
Daytona grey with black pack- nav-B&O- Panorama roof-supersport seats-sport exaust.... Will post pictures when I got the car.

Reactions: Richierich37