B9 RS4 - 1 month in - thoughts

cosmicblue

Reaction score
Tuesday of this week saw the first month/1000 miles of the RS4 in my hands.

It is, in Audi's best RS tradition a fabulous mile-eating road car, effortless, refined and quiet with the Jekyll & Hyde personality the many of it's predecessors have also possessed. So the flip-side being that it's bonkers quick - I'd go as far as to say that I've overtaken a couple of vehicles in the last month week (safely) and properly frightened myself. It's isn't that the RS4 is in any way scary in such manoeuvres because it isn't - super solid, stable and twitch free but rather the rate that the horizon suddenly gets gobbled up - instantly, no lag, no hesitation - simply gone with a lovely soundtrack too. This RS, despite being Postman Pat red is understated and no one gives it a second glance (unlike the RSQ3 perhaps surprisingly).

Of the many options that this car has - spec'd by Audi UK, is DRC, I've come to realise that DRC is both a blessing and a fun detractor. Blessing because the RS stays flat and stable literally no matter what you do on a twisty back road, no pitch, roll or dive, in conjunction with the Sportdiff that we all have it just gets on with it. The downside is that it actually robs the driver of some of the sensation of the 'drama' of a hot car on a good road. Does that make sense?

Misano red wouldn't have been my 1st choice but it continues to grow on me, careful inspection of the paintwork reveals that it would benefit from a machine polish which I'll get done professionally in a couple of weeks (it will be a week long job including a wheels off polish of the alloys and calipers too). Red seems to disguise the result of crappy dirty roads at this time of year quite well which is a plus.

Other things on the to-do list - headlamp washers Grrrr! The front of the car get's a bath when they wake up, the previous RSQ3 had fabulous LED headlights too, but no headlight washers and I never missed not having the feature once. Back in the days of Xenon headlamps washers were part of the Construction and Use regs here in UK, I don't think LEDs had to have them? I have an OBD11 and there is an option to disable the RS4 headlamp washers. The OBD11 menu says that we have one of those Soundaktor devices for synthetic engine noise - I don't like false or fake things so if it's possible to turn it off I will.

I'm acutely conscious that RS4s are high on the list of desirable motors for thieving scumbags to pinch - mine is garaged and out of sight but I'd still like to make if more difficult to steal so have been eyeing up a Ghost Canbus security device https://autowatch.co.uk/products/security-solutions/autowatch-immobiliser-systems/68-ghost-product , right now of no use to me as it is Apple iOS only, however in January they are introducing Ghost 2 which has an Android capability.

And lastly, mentioned in another post I'd like the blingy silver plastic front and rear vinyl wrapped along with the black extensions in the sills though that'll probably be a new year task.

I have but one grumble (that I can't fix) - the 58 litre fuel tank is a tad small, even the Q3 had a 64 litre capacity. Had a couple of 100 mile motorway runs this week and it looks like a legal cruising fuel economy of about 30mpg is achievable (not that I much care other than out of curiosity).

Reactions: RGBARGEE, Terminator x, Chris518 and 4 others

It is, in Audi's best RS tradition a fabulous mile-eating road car, effortless, refined and quiet with the Jekyll & Hyde personality the many of it's predecessors have also possessed. So the flip-side being that it's bonkers quick - I'd go as far as to say that I've overtaken a couple of vehicles in the last month week (safely) and properly frightened myself. It's isn't that the RS4 is in any way scary in such manoeuvres because it isn't - super solid, stable and twitch free but rather the rate that the horizon suddenly gets gobbled up - instantly, no lag, no hesitation - simply gone with a lovely soundtrack too. This RS, despite being Postman Pat red is understated and no one gives it a second glance (unlike the RSQ3 perhaps surprisingly).

Of the many options that this car has - spec'd by Audi UK, is DRC, I've come to realise that DRC is both a blessing and a fun detractor. Blessing because the RS stays flat and stable literally no matter what you do on a twisty back road, no pitch, roll or dive, in conjunction with the Sportdiff that we all have it just gets on with it. The downside is that it actually robs the driver of some of the sensation of the 'drama' of a hot car on a good road. Does that make sense?

Misano red wouldn't have been my 1st choice but it continues to grow on me, careful inspection of the paintwork reveals that it would benefit from a machine polish which I'll get done professionally in a couple of weeks (it will be a week long job including a wheels off polish of the alloys and calipers too). Red seems to disguise the result of crappy dirty roads at this time of year quite well which is a plus.

Other things on the to-do list - headlamp washers Grrrr! The front of the car get's a bath when they wake up, the previous RSQ3 had fabulous LED headlights too, but no headlight washers and I never missed not having the feature once. Back in the days of Xenon headlamps washers were part of the Construction and Use regs here in UK, I don't think LEDs had to have them? I have an OBD11 and there is an option to disable the RS4 headlamp washers. The OBD11 menu says that we have one of those Soundaktor devices for synthetic engine noise - I don't like false or fake things so if it's possible to turn it off I will.

I'm acutely conscious that RS4s are high on the list of desirable motors for thieving scumbags to pinch - mine is garaged and out of sight but I'd still like to make if more difficult to steal so have been eyeing up a Ghost Canbus security device https://autowatch.co.uk/products/security-solutions/autowatch-immobiliser-systems/68-ghost-product , right now of no use to me as it is Apple iOS only, however in January they are introducing Ghost 2 which has an Android capability.

And lastly, mentioned in another post I'd like the blingy silver plastic front and rear vinyl wrapped along with the black extensions in the sills though that'll probably be a new year task.

I have but one grumble (that I can't fix) - the 58 litre fuel tank is a tad small, even the Q3 had a 64 litre capacity. Had a couple of 100 mile motorway runs this week and it looks like a legal cruising fuel economy of about 30mpg is achievable (not that I much care other than out of curiosity).
@cosmicblue - Interesting thoughts
Thanks for sharing :thumbs up:

Reactions: NevMan
Hi Cosmicblue I agree with your summary. Having the previous v8 version it was big grins everytime I fired that engine up it sounded amazing, drove it in individual mode with the exhaust valves open, but everything else in comfort. Fuel wise I've got used to the limited mileage but it is better than the outgoing v8 not as good as the S4 but with the subaru's I had which were all heavily modded around the same. I recently had the Autowatch ghost fitted to my vehicle in October and am really pleased with it as I was also supplied with quite an expensive Faraday bag as added security.
Chris

Love mine too, amazing all round car.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan and Chris518
Pleased you made the switch from the RS3?
I am although I do miss the 3 still. People say the RS3 is expensive for what it is but imho great vfm. The RS4 is a better car, looks quite mean and arguably slightly quicker; inside is just a step up in quality. £20k more though!

TX.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, NevMan and D0C
I've had mine for 4 months now and absolutely love it. My previous A4 2.0 TDI was my first ever Audi, loved the platform just had an opportunity (change of job so less miles) to go back to petrol and have erm POWER!!!!

What I love is the fact that it works well as a daily, I do a lot of running up to Manchester and it makes a superb motorway cruiser and then when I want a bit of fun - I select dynamic and S on the gearbox and she's a different beast again. As many have said the exhaust valves seem to 'loosen up' so now I have a nice sweet sound and lots of pops on the overrun now.

My previous car before the Audi was an M3. I much prefer the RS4 over this, the styling is better, the feel and the Quattro system just lets you get the power down.

My only negative really is the seats. The drivers side bottom bolster (where your right **** cheek leans against) is squashed and creased already with under 4k miles! The M3 had 76k miles and the seats were immaculate. That said its not just an RS4 issue because the A4 2.0 TDI seats did exactly the same.

But that is a minor issue and is forgotten about when I'm sat in, that start/stop button is pressed and that engine revs on startup :)

Reactions: NevMan, Chris518, cosmicblue and 1 other person
I have a question for the other B9 RS4 owners. In the recent cold weather I have noticed that when starting the car there is water vapour only coming out of the near side exhaust. The car usually is in comfort mode when left on the driveway as my lane is unsurfaced.

Putting my hand over the exhaust confirms that only one side is emitting.

Given the engine size and the silencer boxes I was expecting (as with my Giulia QV previously) both tailpipes to work.

Also along the cold theme the suspension bangs and crashes along the lane far more than when returning with the car ‘warmed’ through.

Any feedback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Afaik both pipes are open at ignition on to give the "bark" but shortly after that left pipe only is open at idle revs. Both open at about 3-4k revs. Audi set it up this way so as not to annoy neighbours etc with overly noisy exhaust however seeing as the V6 is almost silent they needn't have bothered imho :dizzy:

TX.

out of interest, why did you move the RS4 on, I think its the one for sale at Leeds Audi? Thanks

I am although I do miss the 3 still. People say the RS3 is expensive for what it is but imho great vfm. The RS4 is a better car, looks quite mean and arguably slightly quicker; inside is just a step up in quality. £20k more though!

TX.

Thread resurrection but I’m very likely to jump into one of these from my 3 soon and can’t help agreeing 100% with your comments here.
A tuned RS3 is (comparatively) cheap to run, faster than most things you’ll meet on a public road including Teslas(!), it’s reliable and unbelievably economical for 500bhp and looks and sounds better than the vast majority of the cheap looking nasty plastic new designs being churned out by ze Germans.
The only thing that it does fall behind on is the interior but then like you say the 4 is quite a bit more expensive, and appears to have more niggles than the 8V RS3.
Almost everything standard feels slower than a tuned RS3 bar crazy money cars, really has been eye opening how good those little Audis are.

Reactions: Terminator x