Rs4 b9.5 oil type

dannyboy123

Reaction score
Anyone who's changed the engine oil...What oil did you use? Is it 0w20 or 0w30. The manual states castrol edge proffessional. Is that what is required? Just wish the manual gave more info.

Good question. The manual just says Castrol Edge Professional and the Castrol web site says "refer to technical team". Mine's due an oil change service in 4 weeks' time - I'll ask them to tell me exactly what they use. Luckily, in lock down for most of this year, no top up was required. If it had, I would almost certainly have used 0W-20 but that's a bit of a guess. I'll try to remember to update this in 4 weeks.

Good question. The manual just says Castrol Edge Professional and the Castrol web site says "refer to technical team". Mine's due an oil change service in 4 weeks' time - I'll ask them to tell me exactly what they use. Luckily, in lock down for most of this year, no top up was required. If it had, I would almost certainly have used 0W-20 but that's a bit of a guess. I'll try to remember to update this in 4 weeks.
Thats great thanks. Someone has mentioned 0W30 VW504/507 Shell Helix Ultra to me. Thats the oil that the my dealer gave me when I collected the car (1l topup) but the manual seems to state this is to be used for emergency only and 1litre max.

A quick update on this - my local dealer used Shell Helix Ultra Professional 0W-30 AV-L (not Castrol Edge) and that's what they are suggesting I use to top it up - if necessary. I hope that helps.

Reactions: dannyboy123
Thanks for that. I changed my oil last week and used the shell 0w30 AV-L so its good to know the dealers are using the same.

Just to put things into perspective a bit .

Screenshot 20200625 091225 Chrome

This American company that does this..

C83045copy1156973334

Says this...

"You can go into any mass retailer (Wal-Mart, Meijer, AutoZone, etc.) and buy a 5W/30 (or any other grade) that will perform well in your engine. One of the best-kept secrets of the oil industry is that these store brands are actually the same, quality oils that are produced by the major oil companies. The only difference between these products and the major company brands is the name on the container and the price. Don’t believe us? Try running your own experiment: do a sample on Oil A after a known number of miles, then do a sample on Oil B and compare the wear levels. You may see a little fluctuation, but it’s very rare for one oil to make a significant difference in an engine’s wear patterns."

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/whi...abs.net/Bstone/(S(qltitg453owlqy45xsybtbj2))/

Another source .

Screenshot 20201111 160319 Chrome

"Oil Specifications All modern oils are manufactured to meet certain standardised European/US or vehicle manufacturers specifications, you'll see them listed on the bottles. For example ACEA C3 or VW: 504.00 / 507.00. If a cheaper, non-branded oil carries a VW: 504.00 / 507.00 spec on the bottle then that means it is 100% suitable for use in any car that requires a VW: 504.00 / 507.00 spec. The same goes for a more expensive, branded oil which carries the VW: 504.00 / 507.00 spec. It also is 100% suitable for use in any car that requires that spec. But no more and no less. To achieve a VW: 504.00 / 507.00 spec an oil must be made up of a predetermined set of ingredients (additives) and it is the same set of ingredients regardless of the brand or price point. With both oils your warranty will be intact and your engine will not know the difference between the two."

So armed with this , I do this .

4gSw8VF 1

2015 04 14 133034

8 years later and the vulnerable narrow PD camshaft lobes are still present on a high mileage engine .

Reactions: Iby_d
Makes for interesting reading does this.......Thank you for the info.

In that case I'll be purchasing this from now on!

Group 4 PAO and top group 5 Esters exactly as it should be .

Post 91516 0 30639000 1457948988

Of late I've been questioning how good the expensive Ester Racing oils really are as there is no test data !!

But a mechanical engineer.....