RS5 B9 vs B9.5

firecracker69

Reaction score
Having owned the 2019 B9 RS5 I loved how the throttle response was…. so…… well erm, responsive!

In my RSQ3 this was the complete opposite, not just a bit but a couple of seconds before the car realised you wanted to floor it and was somewhat annoying. Yes you could drive around this but not what I would expect from an RS.

Anyway - I’m looking now at a couple of options:

Audi RS5 B9.5
Merc AMG CLA 45S

What would be helpful - does anyone own the current B9.5 that can advise on the throttle response? Is it pretty much instant like the B9 or does the latest version have the couple of seconds delay the RSQ3s all have?

I had the B9 and whilst it was a fantastic motor the sound was sorely lacking and it wasn’t ‘raw’ enough for my liking. Even a Milltek non Res and a trip to DMS wasn’t enough so I sold it earlier this year (if I had held onto it I would have made a lot more money in the current climate but hindsight is a wonderful thing).
I would approach the CLA 45s with caution. If throttle response is your thing then I really hope they have sorted out from the previous model.
I had an A45s fully loaded (65 plate FL) and it was hands down the worst most disappointing car I ever owned. Turbo lag was a major issue and even in sport + stamping on the accelerator made the car make a noise, pause for thought while the single turbo spooled up then you were off. Pulling out in junctions was suicidal at times. You had to master a ‘soft launch’ to get the thing moving and most owners tuned them.
Plus no matter what you do it’s a tiny 2 litre 4 cyl engine which sounds tinny, the exhaust (AMG USP) is frankly crap.
If it’s fire and brimstone you want a V8 is the only way imho.
The one good thing about them is the handling and brakes which is excellent. When you get the thing moving that is.
A genuinely bad car and a total con job in my books. Lasted 8 hateful months then got rid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: elpeterol, NevMan and firecracker69
I'm surprised a about that comment, I also sold my b9 rs5 a couple of months ago. I had a miltek non res fitted and the car came alive. Much louder than my previous rs3s. Pfl and fl

In dynamic it was an animal, pops and crackled all the time.

It took about 2000 miles for it to really open up

Reactions: NevMan and firecracker69
The B9 was an excellent car-handled better than I thought and closer to my old M3 Comp than I expected which was a brilliant car. Audi did a great job on the 5. The sound is a common one for owners to find fault with and the non res Milltek is a good solution.
The weak link in the chain was me-I missed the rawness and emotion of a V8 like the C7 RS6 and the 5 really is too smooth for its own good. It’s a mega car and I loved owning it but ultimately it was (for me) missing that last 5-10% of being a lairy beast that other cars (such as RS6 or E63S) have.

Reactions: firecracker69
I had the B9 and whilst it was a fantastic motor the sound was sorely lacking and it wasn’t ‘raw’ enough for my liking. Even a Milltek non Res and a trip to DMS wasn’t enough so I sold it earlier this year (if I had held onto it I would have made a lot more money in the current climate but hindsight is a wonderful thing).
I would approach the CLA 45s with caution. If throttle response is your thing then I really hope they have sorted out from the previous model.
I had an A45s fully loaded (65 plate FL) and it was hands down the worst most disappointing car I ever owned. Turbo lag was a major issue and even in sport + stamping on the accelerator made the car make a noise, pause for thought while the single turbo spooled up then you were off. Pulling out in junctions was suicidal at times. You had to master a ‘soft launch’ to get the thing moving and most owners tuned them.
Plus no matter what you do it’s a tiny 2 litre 4 cyl engine which sounds tinny, the exhaust (AMG USP) is frankly crap.
If it’s fire and brimstone you want a V8 is the only way imho.
The one good thing about them is the handling and brakes which is excellent. When you get the thing moving that is.
A genuinely bad car and a total con job in my books. Lasted 8 hateful months then got rid.

Its all personal preference and I get that. Me personally and my B9; I liked the sound, yea louder would be better but it was fine. Downshift manually and the pops and crackles were there! The Mrs hated it as other drivers would look when downshifting to a stop.

When I changed to my RSQ3 that all went…. Different engine I know. But there were no pops or crackles and when you put your foot down unlike the RS5 which was instant the Q3 is very much delayed by 1-2 seconds! Really noticeable!

Good to hear your thoughts on the Merc. Looking at residuals the RS5 seems better so it makes for the better choice (also your comments noted on the Merc, so thank you).

It would be good to hear from a B9.5 owner…… is it the same as the previous B9 or have they taken away pops and crackles and toned down the throttle response?

Sadly there are none local to test drive, so it will be a phone call purchase.

Thanks to those who commented :icon thumright:

Ruled out the Merc, paid the deposit on a 2021 RS5 carbon black edition. Pick up next week!

Reactions: NevMan and CarterRS
20211013 094342
20211013 094420

Reactions: Iby_d, RS5 JON and NevMan
Having owned the 2019 B9 RS5 I loved how the throttle response was…. so…… well erm, responsive!

In my RSQ3 this was the complete opposite, not just a bit but a couple of seconds before the car realised you wanted to floor it and was somewhat annoying. Yes you could drive around this but not what I would expect from an RS.

Anyway - I’m looking now at a couple of options:

Audi RS5 B9.5
Merc AMG CLA 45S

What would be helpful - does anyone own the current B9.5 that can advise on the throttle response? Is it pretty much instant like the B9 or does the latest version have the couple of seconds delay the RSQ3s all have?
Probably a bit late to reply, but only just seen this post. Anyway, I have the B9.5 RS5 and the throttle response when you floor it is much quicker than my wife's RSQ3 Sportback. It's not as "instant" as my old C63 (or as loud!) but the response is pretty good...

Hope that helps, even if it's a bit late!

I recently went from a 2019 B9 to a 2021 B9.5 ... A subtle difference in the way the software works with engine / gearbox. Nice having the RS mode button but there is about a 1 second delay from presssing it to the car reacting. Responsiveness and power I'd say are almost identical to my old one. If anything it might feel a bit better actually, again.. it feels like they have tweaked it around the edges a bit. I really like the 9.5, better tech and clearer screen...