RS6 Steering wheel Retrofit

The Black Panther

Adventurer !
Reaction score
Howdy,

RS6 steering wheel retrofit underway.

Some incompatibility issues standard airbag and RS Steering wheel. Not plug and play. See pics.

Original Airbag from my car black edition BITDI 2014
Image1

Air bags original partnering steering wheel with correct interface for airbag.
Image3 1

This is a common issue and catches a few people out unfortunately.

The OEM airbags from the round steering wheels do not fit any of the flat bottom wheels as Audi uses a different mounting system.

Also, be very wary of any eBay sellers stating that the airbags they have for sale are compatible across a wide range of models. They are not.

While the airbags may look similar, with a similar method of securing to the wheel, the electrical connections are different between models. i.e. an A5 airbag (from a flat bottom wheel) will not fit an A6 car with a flat bottom wheel.

There are some exceptions. Generally any model within the A6/7 C7 or C7.5 range have interchangeable airbags. You just have to ensure its the right bag for the style of wheel you are using.

I was caught out when changing over my wheel to the flat bottomed one, and after much faffing around I ended up purchasing from the dealer, at quite considerable expense :blink:

Reactions: The Black Panther
Ah well ! Thank you :) now i know invaluable info. Thanks.
Will proceed to locate one or sell the steering wheel. :)
RS6 wheel below.

Image2 1
Ah well ! Than you :) now i know invaluable info. Thanks.
Will proceed to locate one or sell the steering wheel. :)

Last edited:
RAF S7 i see you have the RS gearshift fitted. How painfree of painful was that to fit ?
I have one of those as well but based on the modifications I've read on the net required to install it I'm considering abandoning fitting it.

Last edited:
Audi wish £865 for the airbag.

This one on eBay looks like the connectors are similar to mine http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-OEM-G...019654?hash=item3d2d6b6b86:g:OwsAAOSwmtJXUry8

Yes, that does look promising. If you put the part number into Ekta, you get this, however I would email the seller and ask him to send you some close up pictures of the connector, so you can compare to yours.

RAF S7 i see you have the RS gearshift fitted. How painfree of painful was that to fit ?
I have one of those as well but based on the modifications I've read on the net required to install it I'm considering abandoning fitting it.

On the pre-facelift C7 models, the nylon post inside the gear stick needs to be turned 90º in order to fit the RS knob. On the C7.5 the nylon post is already correctly aligned as they modified the gear knobs on the facelift models (so I did not have to modify mine)

As you have likely found there are two methods to do this - "heat and twist" or "cut and turn" (using a screw to rejoin the cut piece at the correct angle) I personally think the heat and twist is the most robust way to achieve this, but both have potential pitfalls and since Ive not done either, I can't say which is better.

You may want to read this article here as an example of what can go wrong.

Thanks vert much RAF S7 i am aware of that link. I think i will leave it for now as its not worth the risk it can produce.

RAF could you supply me with the part number for the airbag you used please ?

Thanks

Here you go. Sorry for the delay I was away from my car.

The eBay one you posted earlier has the same part number :racer:

John.

S7 Airbag FBMFSW

Last edited:
I think this problem is unpassable. Two distinctly different connectors for the communication ring ! Old and new airbag to communication connectors side by side. 2nd image is commuincation ring connector itself.
IMG 3169

IMG 3170

Last edited:
RAF did you have similar issues ?
I think I'm at a dead end with this issues now i can see a way forward .

Last edited:
New wiring loom being sourced to allow connection. Fingers crossed they can source one.

I installed a new flat bottom steering wheel on mine (smooth leather, so possibly not an RS6 but S6), upgrading from a SE 4 branch steering wheel with paddles. It was completely plug & play on mine, so wonder if the airbag that you sourced is really for an A6?

Sorry - Ive only just seen your posting.

I sourced the correct bag direct from the dealer, and it was plug and play - and I used it in my 2014 A7 before I then moved it to my 2016 S7.

The part number I quoted in post 10 is the correct part number for the A7. I do not believe there is a difference between the A6 & 7 C7 models.

What part number did the TTRS airbag have on it? I noticed that the site you purchased from deal in used parts....

John.

Spoke to supplier today they said they will source the correct wiring loom. They said this type of issues is actually pretty common for them.

RAF part number attached in pic. It marries the. RS6 wheel
IMG 3230

IMG 3229

Last edited:
My wheel and bag where bought separately.
£400 for the wheel. £350 for the bag. No guarantee of immediate match hence the messing about.
Paddles are different as I think
are the thumb areas on the RS6 wheel. They are more pronounced.

I installed a new flat bottom steering wheel on mine (smooth leather, so possibly not an RS6 but S6), upgrading from a SE 4 branch steering wheel with paddles. It was completely plug & play on mine, so wonder if the airbag that you sourced is really for an A6?

Attachments

• IMG_3229.JPG
    IMG_3229.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 372
Last edited:
Reactions: RAF_S7
So wiring issues are apparently fixed. Sent both orginal and new RS6 airbag off to have wiring modifed to fit my car. Will fot in coming weeks to car and report back if everything works as specified.

I'm not sure that's a C7/7.5 wheel, as it's missing some of the control buttons. (Is your car a C6 model?)

Have you fitted it yet? Be interesting to see if the airbag connectors fit....

It's from A5 black edition. Also I have swapped buttons on these and it fitted fine. No problem with airbag. My car is C7 not C6

5304eed50cca33f1a31f1495930a770e

Reactions: The Black Panther and RAF_S7
If you look the RS6 is different again. Pattern on the leather and deeper thumb grip area Devilz.

My Wheel Below.
IMG 3229

It's from A5 black edition. Also I have swapped buttons on these and it fitted fine. No problem with airbag. My car is C7 not C6

View attachment 129551
Hi there.
Do you know or have a pics of what airbag connector do you have on your car and on airbag?I am trying to retrofit steering wheel but it's from a4 so the airbag will be probably one stage and connection different but if you fitted from a5 I am not so sure now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211015_095202_com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.jpg
    Screenshot_20211015_095202_com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.jpg
    896.1 KB · Views: 126