RS6 Tranny

Never_Follow

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
I know this is the wrong forum to post this on, but I've grown quite found of the A4/S4 B5 forum and cannot seem to part from it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Anyways, I'm just curious - what is the deal with Audi not making the RS6 in manual. Does anyone know the specific reason for this? I have trouble sleeping at night not knowing why.

RSW - I'm only repeating what has been reported for quite some time.

Besides it's easy to make a more powerful master cyclinder to operate a heavy clutch it were only about peddal pressure required.

But hey you know rumours are just rumours.

As a potential repeat Audi customer, I was invited to an "Experience" day run by my local Audi dealer which included trying out an S4, A3 3.2 quattro DSG and the RS6! The first two were excellent and I was particularly surprised by the ease-of-use of the DSG gearbox - not at all what I had anticipated - I actually enjoyed playing with the up and down paddle changes. When I tried the RS6, also with the DSG gearbox, I just had to leave it in "auto sport mode", forget about the DSG paddle change and concentrate on the warp speed blur around you - the RS6 is so damned fast that you don't have ****** time to play with up and down paddle changes - ! (at least not in the half hour that I had to spend in it) You don't even notice it's in auto-mode strangely, such is the impressiveness of the beast! It was absolutely awesome and left me with the biggest grin I've had on my face for years! Trust me you don't need an old fashioned manual change on this car - or even the DSG-mode for that matter unless you're a track driver!To put things in perspective, I was accompanied by an Audi representative of course, who turned out to be an ex-police pursuit driving instructor - who descibed it as: "the best car I've ever experinced and I wish I'd had one when on active duty - if I could afford it, I'd have one myself" - nuff said?

Violently agree that 3.2 DSG box in TT is fantastic. But Audi isn't resting on its laurels and is presently developing a DSG transmission for high-power longitudinally-mounted engines. First version of this now production already for Bugatti Veyron and can handle 900 ft/ lbs of torque. Next iteration is expected to be ready for new RS6, if not before in 2006 S6 which will have same 4.2 litre FSI engine in forthcoming RS4. 2007 RS6 will have 5.2 litre V-10 with bi-turbos developing well-above 520 bhp. Here is rough CGI of it. In the meantime, the 6-speed auto box currently found in the S4 tiptronic has to be one of the best autos anywhere. Personally, I prefer a slick six-speed manual.