RSQ3 RSQ3 Alloy Wheel and Dent Insurance

firecracker69

Reaction score
I know this has probably been covered a number of times in the past, but as years go on prices and offerings change!

What are peoples thoughts on this?

A long time ago I purchased Audi alloy cover, £399 for 3yrs. I actually did claim once only to find the diamond cut alloys weren't covered! The guy did his best to repair which in all fairness did look good as new, but still got my money back from Audi.
Now I've been told they cover all wheels.

Not knowing the cost of alloy repairs, or small scratches and dents (smart repairs) I wondered if any are worth buying as I know I'll have the option in a couple of days.

Thoughts/opinions?

Dent repairs/wheels/tyre insurance are all things that enable the dealer to put some more profit back into the deal. The dealers know that a punter dropping 55+ big ones on a motor is going to be vulnerable to saying yes to 'care products'.

- I said no to them all, but ended up with Autoglym Lifeshine negotiated into the deal anyway - and to GAP mine isn't on finance and replacement cover is elsewhere. The dealer sales people are incentivised/judged by their success rate in selling additional products in quite a few of the dealerships.

Alloy wheel repair is around £70 a rim, DentDevils are at about £95 a panel - you'll look after the car and be careful so I wouldn't bother.

Reactions: firecracker69
I will do GAP on line as dealer rates are extortionate. I will do ceramic coating as always as it helps with keeping it clean afterwards. I wont bother with dent and alloy protection, there is a good wheel place nearby and if I need dent work, my brother was in the trade for years and knows an expert...

But as always each to their own. Maybe tell them a price you are happy with and if they can do that take it.... £150?

Thanks both!

They want £579 for each product which i had already said no too.

I do like the idea of smart repair and wheel cover. However, if not overly expensive on a case by case basis then perhaps its worth paying someone local in the event something goes wrong.
No way they are going to do it cheap! Certainly not £150, if they did id pay it!

On the ceramic front..... I wouldn't pay for autoglym personally, dealerships generally can't do it properly imo.
I am however interested in a proper ceramic coating. How much are they and how good are they!? How long does it last and does it really make cleaning your car that much easier?

Thanks both!

They want £579 for each product which i had already said no too.

I do like the idea of smart repair and wheel cover. However, if not overly expensive on a case by case basis then perhaps its worth paying someone local in the event something goes wrong.
No way they are going to do it cheap! Certainly not £150, if they did id pay it!

On the ceramic front..... I wouldn't pay for autoglym personally, dealerships generally can't do it properly imo.
I am however interested in a proper ceramic coating. How much are they and how good are they!? How long does it last and does it really make cleaning your car that much easier?

Ask the question and see, if they cant do it for £150 or even £200 they know what the answer is....

Ceramic - different people will say different things. I have found it very good, I am not a detailer, dont actually wash my own car these days. I had my SQ5 done as my first experience, gave the surface a really glassy smooth finish - and dirt did seem to wash off and it stayed cleaner - and a quick hose down made it look respectable. Then had the M5 done with the added bonus that the chap who did it also did maintenance washes - so it got properly washed every month by him. The RS4 is white so I am keen to get something done that helps keep it clean - looks fab when clean but not when dirty!

Ceramic coatings are well worth it. It definitely helps with swirls and light scratches. I had mine done after the ppf on the front. I have had the last 3 cars done by local detailers. As for cost it all depends on who does it and if they are actually good or not. The old saying you get what you pay for comes in here. For example for my RSQ3 to be detailed and the front ppf and the whole car ceramic coated including wheels and callipers was £3k half of that was the ppf. You may get someone who will do it far less but will it be perfect? Also note if they make a mess of ceramic coating it doesn’t just buff off it has to be sanded depending on the hardness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ceramic coatings are well worth it. It definitely helps with swirls and light scratches. I had mine done after the ppf on the front. I have had the last 3 cars done by local detailers. As for cost it all depends on who does it and if they are actually good or not. The old saying you get what you pay for comes in here. For example for my RSQ3 to be detailed and the front ppf and the whole car ceramic coated including wheels and callipers was £3k half of that was the ppf. You may get someone who will do it far less but will it be perfect? Also note if they make a mess of ceramic coating it doesn’t just buff off it has to be sanded depending on the hardness.

I guess that answers my question about whether I will get the new one PPFd - that works out at £100 a month for how long I keep them, for just the PPF! I assume the ceramic you had was one of the professional, guaranteed products, such as GTechniq Crystal Serum and not the more widely available and cheaper CSL? I've paid about £600 for CSL last 2 occasions, which has lasted well for the less than 2 year periods I have kept the car....

Not sure if something different is needed on a metallic white car though....or indeed for the carbon bits....

Thanks for the info.
I don’t keep my cars long enough to warrant that kind of money to be honest. As much as PPF sounds great it’s not going to happen for me.

Ceramic however could be worth it. I use the turtle wax ceramic spray currently which I know isn’t a ceramic job, but in terms of the smooth feel and easier car clean it’s great. However, I notice after a few weeks it’s gone even though supposed to last months lol, usual marketing rubbish,
Anyway, this makes me think a proper ceramic coating could be worth the investment. However, how long does it actually last? Does it actually make cleaning the car easier, dirt doesn’t stick, no tar issues anymore etc etc..... or is it not like that?

I had one of the Gyeon high end quartz coatings on my RS4, professionally applied, was without the car for week whilst it was done - cost £1200. Looked fabulous when finished - like permanently wet, sadly though some panels were clearly deteriorating within 4 months - the detailer wanted it back to re-do it. My cars are garaged too (helps insurance costs). I think my expectations of a coating that can only be microns thick were unrealistic and that marketing BS won the day.

I wouldn't do it again, good old fashioned polish and the knowledge that it will need redoing yearly is realistic.

I had one of the Gyeon high end quartz coatings on my RS4, professionally applied, was without the car for week whilst it was done - cost £1200. Looked fabulous when finished - like permanently wet, sadly though some panels were clearly deteriorating within 4 months - the detailer wanted it back to re-do it. My cars are garaged too (helps insurance costs). I think my expectations of a coating that can only be microns thick were unrealistic and that marketing BS won the day.

I wouldn't do it again, good old fashioned polish and the knowledge that it will need redoing yearly is realistic.

Thanks, I’m leaning towards this as well.... just look after my cars like I normally do, weekly wash and wax.

I’ve found some online companies/quotes for alloy cover as well. £199 for 3yrs alloy, so if Audi match great, but prob won’t so I’ll buy online.
As for smart repairs, again trying to find something online but no joy yet, want to be armed for tomorrow.

FYI for those in a similar position:

Cosmetic cover (which now covers areas not previously covered with the exception of door handles and plastic) is £249 for 1yr or £299 for 2yrs.

Tyre and alloy (can't separate to just alloy) is £449 for 3yrs. Personally I only want the alloy element and found somewhere online for £199 for 3yrs.

Think I will take the smart repair out tho, £299 for piece of mind that should anything happen i can just claim.

Reactions: isleaiw