RSQ3 RSQ3 Engine.

Naylor92

Reaction score
Hi all,

Can anyone confirm that the engine in the RSQ3 is the same as the pre-facelift RS3? Is the 340ps one the same engine as the 8P RS3 or again, the same as the pre-facelift RS3, just de-tuned?

Cheers,
Sam.

Reactions: paul wev
Hi all,

Can anyone confirm that the engine in the RSQ3 is the same as the pre-facelift RS3? Is the 340ps one the same engine as the 8P RS3 or again, the same as the pre-facelift RS3, just de-tuned?

Cheers,
Sam.

Same engine essentially

Mapping of it will be tweaked to suit the car its going in.

Engine codes on RSQ3 iron block engines are CTSA / CZGA / CZGB
Engine codes on RS3 / TTRS iron block engines are CEPA / CEPB

Reactions: Naylor92
Cheers for the quick response chap.

I want to know as I’ve been looking at getting a pre-facelift RS3 but am now thinking I would be better suited to the RSQ3. Just wanted to make sure the engine was the same and it wasn’t the one from the old 8P model. As that would put me off I think.

It’s just confused me as you can get the normal powered engine from the RS3 in the RSQ3 and then obviously the slightly less powered which is more or less the same power as the old 8P. That’s why I want to make sure!

Also, is it an easy upgrade to get the exhaust twin exit and sounding just like the RS3?

Sorry for the many questions but appreciate and help that comes my way.

Cheers,
Sam.

The 8P and 8V PFL engines are the same, aren't they? Just different power outputs.

Re the exhaust. Hardly anyone makes aftermarket units for the Q3 and twin outlets isn't a good idea because the battery is where the r/h tailpipe would be. Probably best to not have a hot pipe right underneath it. The Q3 sounds great anyway, even with a single.

Reactions: NevMan, 45bvtc and Naylor92
The 8P and 8V PFL engines are the same, aren't they? Just different power outputs.

Re the exhaust. Hardly anyone makes aftermarket units for the Q3 and twin outlets isn't a good idea because the battery is where the r/h tailpipe would be. Probably best to not have a hot pipe right underneath it. The Q3 sounds great anyway, even with a single.
I don’t know chap are they? I don’t suppose I am too fussed overall. I just want that 5 pot noise!! That’s why it’s important to me that I get the right set up with the exhaust.

I could have it custom made anyway as I know a guy who owns his own performance exhaust shop. Definitely got to have twin pipes. Makes it look so much better.

You can see in that Supersprint photo where they've had to wind the r/h outlet around the battery box.

The what sorry?

d85592a1eda7ef2fdaa8f0bf67667f9a.jpg

Reactions: NevMan and Terminator x
Or...get a Cete Automotive AVC and have the tail pipe flap open all the time...sounds mean in town.

Seriously though for a moment the RSQ3 is one of Audi's best kept secrets. An Audi RS (any RS) is supposed to be a bit unruly, the best of it's breed - have character and if you don't respect it's capabilities then enable you to get into serious trouble. An RSQ3 is one such car - I had a 340PS RSQ3 and swapped it for the latest RS4 which honestly speaking just isn't as much fun to drive (very safe, sanitised with the entertainment factor engineered out). The RSQ3 has vastly better brakes than a B9 RS4 (6 pots vs 8 pots up front) - a really meaty feel and devastatingly effective. Fuel economy? Well basically there isn't any - 25-27 in urban areas maybe 31 on the motorway. Fun factor - lot's you'll leave the motorway and take the twisty route back, the car provides lots of feedback and that 5 pot lump just howls along - intoxicating. Sure the tech is a bit old now - but the facelifts (340 and 367PS) have LED headlamps which are fabulous and the animated lights at the rear. The Bose hifi absolutely wipes the floor compared with the weak B&O in the RS4. RSQ3 are rare - there were less than 900 registered in the UK in the 2014 to 2017 period they were on sale.

Buy one and smile every single day. :footy:

Reactions: -Ju-, NevMan, 45bvtc and 2 others
Hi Simon we do get around don't we?

Reactions: NevMan and simonali
Im getting a RSQ3 performance from Hyde Audi on Saturday 9000 1 owner mint car , looking forward to it.

Reactions: NevMan
Ascari blue metallic. 9000 miles, really nice car, The only RS I would ever get , All others (for me) to low to small ect, Ive had loads of Audi,s Last one been a 14 plate SQ5 that was a good car, But then went to a Merc AMG GLA 17 plate for a change, Really should not of got that!! Been a Audi man for over 30 years so Ill stick to them.

Reactions: NevMan, -Ju-, simonali and 1 other person
Take it to Paul @pcw_exhaustmods (on Instagram) he did my rsq3 about 6 months ago and it sounds phenomenal now.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Naylor92, NevMan and simonali
What exactly does he do to mod the exhaust?

Reactions: NevMan
Ascari blue metallic. 9000 miles, really nice car, The only RS I would ever get , All others (for me) to low to small ect, Ive had loads of Audi,s Last one been a 14 plate SQ5 that was a good car, But then went to a Merc AMG GLA 17 plate for a change, Really should not of got that!! Been a Audi man for over 30 years so Ill stick to them.

Welcome to the Ascari Club. John above and I are both members. :D

https://www.q3ownersclub.co.uk/forum/12-main-message-centre/5543-back-q3-family.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NevMan and alanyork
I think you've basically covered my shopping list from 6 months ago!
My preference when searching out a fast SUV was an RSQ3. I basically lived on the approved used website for months searching for the perfect one.
I came very close on a couple of occasions and was let down on another by a dealer that never got back to me as promised.
I guess I'll never scratch that itch now, but who knows maybe I will.
I was also intrigued by the GLA45. I test drive one, was slightly disappointed and tbh was not really suv enough for me as I needed the height for my partner who is disabled. It wasnt an easy getting in and out with those bucket type seats, I liked the styling though!
I ended up with the SQ5 after initially dismissing it as too tight to fit down the drive......it isn't and it's a great car.
So after you owning an SQ5 I'd be interested to hear your thoughts between the 2?
Congrats on the new car though, an RSQ3 performance is awesome!:wub:

Reactions: 45bvtc, NevMan, paul wev and 1 other person
I've owned two of the 1st generation SQ5s (2013 and 2014) with the 313bhp bi-turbo V6 diesel. Truthfully a really great car, easy to drive - let down by really just one thing back then and that's the brakes (could be said for the current SQ5 too) those 6 pot calipers and average sized discs just can't cope with a 2 tonne vehicle driven quickly...sprinting at legal speeds between the roundabouts in Milton Keynes and after the 3rd or 4th island you will experience brake-fade. The RSQ3 is a just a little smaller but more real-world performance than any SQ5 as it's lighter - pure fun. The huge wavy discs and massive 8 pot calipers (each one has 4 pads/8 in total) get rid of speed very quickly, repeatedly - with no fade. For AlanYork above - set the speed limiter warning for the legal limit as a reminder. The RSQ3 gets into 3 figures frighteningly quickly - very few other road users expect a Q3 to be so outrageously rapid - many a Porsche owner has gone home disappointed :icon thumright:

Reactions: Bryant1998, NevMan, -Ju- and 3 others
The time has come to make a decision! Do I do it or not chaps? Will I regret it or will I be over the moon? I went to look at and test drive one at a prestige dealership near York at the weekend.

Looks nice but for me it's missing Bose, panroof and the HD nav

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Looks nice but for me it's missing Bose, panroof and the HD nav

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Yeah it is lovely. Pictures don’t do it justice really. Amazing in person, but as you say it has no Bose or pan roof! I really wanted the pan roof but not too fussed about not having Bose. As will no doubt be modding the exhaust, so the window will be down a lot ! I didn’t know the difference between the nav’s???

There are 2 versions of the sat nav, the lower spec sd card nav which, as it says, is all based on the sd card and the hd nav which comes as part of the tech pack and is hard drive based. It also afaik has a higher definition screen.
Personally, I'd rather have the Bose. If nothing else they light up at night to add to the premium feel inside

Reactions: Naylor92
Make sure you pay particular attention to the front brakes as they will cost you ££££'s to replace if worn

That’s the one I’m looking at. What does everyone think?

Such a nice car but I can’t get my head round the stock exhaust setup lol, I’d have to have ovals either side like every other RS Audi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 1st RSQ3 was Sepang blue with a black pack, is a lovely colour combination. The video of that RSQ3 shows quite a significant lip on the front disks - they are around £500 a pair, the discs have a 1mm wear limit on each side so those are most likely unserviceable already. The genuine Audi OEM pads (which are cr*p as they wear the discs out as can be seen) are around £360 a set. Those massive calipers have 8 pistons and there 4 pads each side - 8 in total - hence the price.

A smart RSQ3 owner swaps the OEM pads out pronto and puts in EBC Redstuffs - a ceramic pad that increases the initial grab performance, performs even better when hot and polishes rather than wears the disc faces away - oh yes and about £200 a set for the front.

Reactions: simonali and NevMan
Yeah it is lovely. Pictures don’t do it justice really. Amazing in person, but as you say it has no Bose or pan roof! I really wanted the pan roof but not too fussed about not having Bose. As will no doubt be modding the exhaust, so the window will be down a lot ! I didn’t know the difference between the nav’s???

This one is better value - has all the kit you need too, Hainan Blue is rare: https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar...yd2lja3NoaXJlLCBFbmdsYW5k/l|12,1,PRICE_SALE,U
A lot less miles at 24k and from an Audi dealer....always Audi cars from a dealer if you can, a little close to home is this one: https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar...hp-all-wheel-drive-blue-1_GBR00387856906.htm# all the toys but no Bose

As RSQ3 are very rare you will almost certainly have to travel some distance to get the right car - I live in the Midlands and my 1st one came from Southend and the 2nd from London.

I'd say a Pano roof is highly desirable - with a black headliner the interior is tomb dark otherwise, the Bose system is truly excellent and both are worth having as is the Tech pack which includes 'Audi Connect', the real time Google traffic data service - you REALLY want this if you can.

There are 2 versions of the sat nav, the lower spec sd card nav which, as it says, is all based on the sd card and the hd nav which comes as part of the tech pack and is hard drive based. It also afaik has a higher definition screen.
Personally, I'd rather have the Bose. If nothing else they light up at night to add to the premium feel inside
So not much difference with the Navs then really. Not something I’d be massively be bothered about. I would like Bose don’t get me wrong but the car is nice and I’ve bought a couple from them before.

My 1st RSQ3 was Sepang blue with a black pack, is a lovely colour combination. The video of that RSQ3 shows quite a significant lip on the front disks - they are around £500 a pair, the discs have a 1mm wear limit on each side so those are most likely unserviceable already. The genuine Audi OEM pads (which are cr*p as they wear the discs out as can be seen) are around £360 a set. Those massive calipers have 8 pistons and there 4 pads each side - 8 in total - hence the price.

A smart RSQ3 owner swaps the OEM pads out pronto and puts in EBC Redstuffs - a ceramic pad that increases the initial grab performance, performs even better when hot and polishes rather than wears the disc faces away - oh yes and about £200 a set for the front.
Yes it is immaculate too! Lovely in person, as I say the pictures don’t do it justice. Can you really tell from that video that the discs are worn? I had a look and a quick touch but I was unsure. What do I do!?

So not much difference with the Navs then really. Not something I’d be massively be bothered about. I would like Bose don’t get me wrong but the car is nice and I’ve bought a couple from them before.

There is a massive difference between the Navs...

Tech Pack - 3G MMI+
1) Higher resolution screen
2) 3D mapping including rendered terrain and 3D buildings for major landmarks and in cities - actually uses two Nvidia Tegra processors, one does all the mapping stuff and the other is for the Q3's dash display systems.
3) Google Map overlays - so all the roads etc on top of Google maps
4) Audi Connect (data connection from either a SIM in the dash if you have an iPhone or via an rSAP profile if you have a modern phone). Audi Connect gives you real time traffic data (I won't buy a car without it), ability to look up destinations using voice control. When Connect dynamically changes your route because of something you haven't yet seen - and you ignore the advice....well you only do it once.
5) 20Gb of locally stored music on the system's hard drive
6) Both SD card slots are free - up to 30Gb per card
7) Ability to play movie DVDs from the dash
9) Ability to play movies from an SD card - I have loads of YouTube concert videos on one of mine
10) High resolution screen makes the reverse camera much more useful if fitted

SD card Nav
It's basic, slow and laggy when in navigation mode - you'll make navigation mistakes. You will use your phone instead I expect.

Reactions: simonali and Naylor92