SQ5 Rubbing whirring noise

razza1

Reaction score
Website
www.maidenhead-systema.co.uk
The car is now making funny noises when turning right, it’s like somethings rubbing, I’ve checked the wheel arch and nothing is rubbing even all the way to full lock, it sounds in line with the speed.

No issues with straight or left…

I have a video where you can hear the higher pitch whirring, at the start, 50 seconds in and 1min 4 secs in, but not sure how to post it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The car is now making funny noises when turning right, it’s like somethings rubbing, I’ve checked the wheel arch and nothing is rubbing even all the way to full lock, it sounds in line with the speed.

I have a video where you can hear the higher pitch whirring, at the start, 50 seconds in and 1min 4 secs in, but not sure how to post it?

I take it the noise is 'road speed' (not engine speed) related?

Last edited:

"Send me your video" message sent...

Still suspect brake caliper/pad/disc issue and/or back plate debris

Pull the pads and check the inside face of the brake disc - cannot tell you the number of shock/horror moments I've had on checking the inside face/surface of a brake disc - looking good on the outside

Last edited:
In with audi today so will see what they come back with

Looking forward to hearing from you razza1 on this/your 'rubbing' issue.

Listened to your video many times and it doesn't sound 'mechanical.'

Hope the solution is cheap and easy.

Technician reckons it’s the bearing. It’s also stated making the noise when going over speed bumps will the wheels straight.
I had to go down to take my side skirts off as they couldn’t get it on their lifts with them on ***.
So it’ll be Monday now before they can properly diagnose it…

Good news. Sure didn't sound like a wheel bearing i.e., no rumble/grate, just sounded, as you said, like a 'rub.' And unusual for off-side bearing to give-out first. What's the mileage?

All back and quiet, and rear speaker fixed. New chip in b pillar somehow but they’re replacing.
Start stop issue was battery needing charging..
Issue was I drove out the garage, got to first roundabout and brake pad warning lights pinged on..turns out the sensor wire is corroded but they’ll cover that replacement as well since I’ve only just bought it.
Getting there but frustrating only having it a couple of months

Reactions: 45bvtc
A 2015/16 SQ5 is a GREAT all-round everyday driver-car, well worth the input:

SQ5 all round machine

Wouldn't change ours....

Did you make your rear windows darker as mine are factory tinted but sometimes think it’s not dark enough?

No, windows are OEM/as purchased. Wheels and brake discs are not, neither is the Audi 'rings' sticker...