Rubbish fuel efficiency!?

PollyErrington

Reaction score
Hi all, I've literally just bought an A1 TDI 1.6 (2016) automatic sport (Yay!) Only driven it about 15 miles and the fuel gauge is really dropping. Mpg is pretty low too. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Tried in E mode as well as auto mode.
Help please!

Hi all, I've literally just bought an A1 TDI 1.6 (2016) automatic sport (Yay!) Only driven it about 15 miles and the fuel gauge is really dropping. Mpg is pretty low too. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Tried in E mode as well as auto mode.
Help please!
Forgot to say talk said I had 350 miles, and it's now saying 270! After only 15 miles :(

Congrats on the purchase.

I don’t think this is fuel efficiency but is estimated range?

The car uses a calculation of the fuel used over the last ~30 miles to estimate range of the rest of the fuel in the tank.

If the previous ~30 miles were a motorway run, and then you do short / cold start journeys it will drop quickly and then stabilise.

You mention that mpg is low but what does the screen say is your fuel consumption? As you have just bought the car it would be worth resetting the long term average and keeping an eye on it to see if you have a problem.

If it is dropping quickly then have a mechanic check it, or talk to the garage if you bought it from a garage.

Good luck.

Regarding the indicated fuel gauge value dropping quickly; if the gauge is the same as on the S1, the needle goes 270° from empty to full. Combine that very wide arc with a small fuel tank, and you get a needle that really does drop fast.
8SSqfVF.jpg

I did a bit of calculation; I go from one line to another every 35 miles.