Rumbling / grinding when turning slowly.

Billy Young

Reaction score
Hey guys had my a3 t sport Quattro for 8 month ish now. When turning slowly like reversing in or out a parking space I sometimes get a rumbling or grinding sound it sounds like dragging a heavy object over a floor( that type of vibration rumble.) I'm an hgv mechanic to trade and have worked for volkswagon/Audi but it has me stumped. Even had a guy in work have a look with me but wheel bearings,cv's , wishbone bushes and move parts on the front etc seem ok. There is also a slight rumble at around 50 which when you drive past it it's not there but let off and it slows back to 50 it comes back.

Now the other day reversing out a space it gave a knock / jump ( like I had went over a stone or something raised from the ground ) twice which made me look at the car again.

I originally was thinking it was internal in the rear diff but now it makes me think it's from the front again possibly internal in the gearbox

Has anyone every had any experince with this fault

Thanks for any help or advice. Billy

I had a sticky n/s rear caliper on mine which gave similar rumblings. I'm no mechanic mind you, and i never had the bump/lift thing you mentioned and it never happened at anything more than carpark speeds so probably not the same issue...

That's when I here it most just starting off when turning hard lock. At first I even thought it was the power steering pump groaning.

When was the last time the haldex oil and filter were changed?

If it hasn't been done in years this can cause juddering and noise on lock at slow speeds.