Running New Car In

nicks3

Reaction score
The handbook says 1500 miles. What are your thoughts, its done 750 now but its getting painful holding it back!

I know what you mean.. only done 300 miles myself! Book says 1500KM's, dealer said 1000 Miles. Choice is yours but I will go with 1000 miles.

Patience mate!! ; )

Loads of opinions on the net, but I went by the book. TBH, I suspect they are being cautious - the engines (I believe) are run in on the bench anyways? But the brakes, tyres etc, need a bit of time to bed in too (100 miles or so?) and expect other bits would like some gentle treatment from the outset.

I did a little light playing in the running in period, but its only after that I've bounced it of the rev limter - darn thing can't do 60 in 2nd! (last car did just!)

Paul

What i never understood is why British people have to run them for 1000miles and europeans for 1000 km until they are ready :)

Isn`t this like 350km more for you guys? I guess since the engines are the same, running them for 650miles would also be ok

But if i were you i would go by the book

Aha! 1500km, not miles. Just read the book properly and after 1000km it can be gradually opened up to 1500km when it is run in fully. As I'm at 700 odd miles I will start to let it go a little more now, yippee!

There ya go!

I was wondering why these things were different

Apparently they are not!!

So give it a goooo! :)

Aha! 1500km, not miles. Just read the book properly and after 1000km it can be gradually opened up to 1500km when it is run in fully. As I'm at 700 odd miles I will start to let it go a little more now, yippee!

S3? - Pics?

Will do.

How many miles before remapping?

Although not an S3, I didn't really run my engine in, didn't drive it any different than I usually would - and I had it remapped after 1,000 miles. So far, (10k miles later) no probs. But I do have a 3 year warranty if things turn ugly... :)

i chipped my s3 at 500km no stress i phoned my dealer askin him should i run my car in he told me 'ENJOY" SO I CHIPPED IT