running probs since oil change

westy 44

Reaction score
Hi all,im desperate for some help/tips/advice. I stupidly asked my local unifit/kwikfit autocentre type establishment to change my oil & filter on my 02 a4 cab before embarking on a long journey. When i picked the car up it rattled like buggery,ran very lumpy & was generally terrible to drive. I took the car back & they said the cam position sensor was faulty. I wasnt happy for them to carry on so took the car to a friend of a friend who did a diagnostic for me. Several codes were stored including:17748 CAM POSITION SENSOR(G40) & ENGINE SPPED SENSOR(G28) UPPER LIMIT EXCEEDED MIL ON P1340-001. 16684- 16685-16686-16687 All relating to misfires being detected on cylinders 1,2 & 3. I rang the original centre to be fobbed off with some plug lead excuse. Is there any particular area i should be looking at? Could all these faults be linked to type of oil fastfit centre used? My audi is now resting in my drive whilst i commute in my fathers mitsubishi!! please please help me

what engine?

I assume 1.8t?

Still rattling?

its a 2.4 & the rattling stopped after the friend of a friend cleared the codes. However the same codes came back,without the rattling. The management light was flashing on the dash when i first collected the car,now its constantly on. thanks

That sounds like the monkeys have accidentally disconnected a sensor or a loom (probably by being too heavy handed) I would start from there. It sounds like far too much of a coincidence for all those problems to occur at once...

That sounds like the monkeys have accidentally disconnected a sensor or a loom (probably by being too heavy handed) I would start from there. It sounds like far too much of a coincidence for all those problems to occur at once...

i'd taken it back the day after & they had done loads of checks,changing leads,checking plugs,replacing oil & filter again & several diagnostics. No improvement,told me that they thought the cam chain had stretched. Its going back again tomorrow to have cam gear inspected,after i had told them i'd booked it somewhere else to have the problem investigated

I had a similar problem after an oil & filter change on my 1.8T about 18 months ago. After driving about 15 miles it started misfiring as though one of the coilpacks or spark plugs had failed (it had just had new coilpacks fitted on the 'recall' and I'd fitted new plugs at the same time). The EML was flashing.

I got the AA out to do diagnostics and it did all point to an ignition problem. We (me & the AA man) swapped the offending coil pack to another cylinder, went for a test drive and after a few miles the missfire disappeared and has never come back *touches wood*. Thinking about it, the coilpack was swapped a couple of times before the missfire disappeared.

I can only assume that some oil had maybe spilled somewhere it shouldn't (there's a sensor behind the filter on the 1.8T) and it got burned off after a few more miles. That's the only explanation I have.

Rick.

Last edited:
Well it seems I spoke too soon!

Mine started misfiring again yesterday on cyls 1 & 2 + a random misfire. Called the AA out (who diagnosed the codes). He swapped the coil pack in cylinder 1 for a new one and the problem appeared to go away. Put the original back in and it had still gone away. I drove about 40 miles with no problem and then the misfire returned when under load. I'm taking it in for diagnostics one day this week so will find out what they say.