Rust problem on bonnet

tinman

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a 2010 A4 which I have recently purchased. However today I noticed rust on the lip of the bonnet. Whats the best thing to do here? I'm assuming a bonnet respray will be required, any idea on costs?

20180424 172036

20180424 172125

Reactions: Carlos85
Tbh that rust looks like it crept up over quite a while.. Ide put an estimate of 300 to 400 on spray job... have you checked the car fully .. sills and other areas for rust.? How long have you had a4?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Will give the car a full check over today. Only had the car about a month. When you're stood up it's not massively noticeable which is why I think I have only just stopped it. Of course now I know it's there it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I'm guessing Audi won't cover any of it through the 12 year thing?

Will give the car a full check over today. Only had the car about a month. When you're stood up it's not massively noticeable which is why I think I have only just stopped it. Of course now I know it's there it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I'm guessing Audi won't cover any of it through the 12 year thing?
Did you buy private or dealer?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Private, so I'm on my own.

Guessing it's going to end with me paying for a full respray. Just need to find somewhere reputable :(

Sand and spray yourself then get it wrapped.. . .... In the colour of your choice. Cheaper than a full respray

Would actually be possible to do a half decent repair with spray cans if money is tight, plus the car is now 8 years old. Looks like the car probably did motorway miles in a previous life and picked up road rash and stone chips. Left untreated, you now have the beginning of corrosion.

If it's white (difficult to tell from the picture), then I'd attempt a home repair. If it's metallic then just go ahead with professional respray, as it will need to be blended (more likely they'll paint the entire bonnet). A lot of this is based on your ability and confidence to spray yourself.

To repair yourself. Wash the car, mask off everything exposing the bonnet panel only. Use 3M wet and dry sandpaper (soaked for a good 30 mins) in warm water. Start around 300-400 grit and work to around 1500-2000 to feather into existing paint. Use a little detergent to lube. With the rust removed (hopefully no pitting), then apply a coat of Krust to neautralise any rust. Reapply treatment. Wipe of with paint preparation wipes or methylated spirit. Bare metal should be sprayed with acid etch primer paint, say a couple of coats. Allow to dry then flat off, and apply regular primer. Again flat off so absolutely no sand marks appear and use tack rag to ensure it's dust free. Top coat, say 5-6 light to medium coats. Don't be tempted to put down heavier passes or it wil run. I wouldn't worry unnecessarily about any variation in finish, as I'd leave it for a month to cure , then cut pack with rotary mop and Menzerna 203S, then apply a couple of coats of Collinite 476 wax to seal. Job done. Paint and materials are probably about £80-£100.

Reactions: davidg123