Rusty rear wheel hubs

boozyjay

Reaction score
I've just had the rear wheel hubs sprayed silver, best £50 I've spent in a long time - I did it on my previous 135i - I can't believe so called premium manufactures like Audi and BMW etc don't sort this issue out.

asset.php

asset.php

Attachments

• 20130711_080916.jpg
    20130711_080916.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,829
  • 20130711_080922 (2).jpg
    20130711_080922 (2).jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,434
Sorry about the pics - I'm useless at this uploading

I know its crazy,mine goes in on Wednesday for the brake fix and have asked them to spray the rear hubs under warranty exactly the same thing happened on my S4.

Gentlemen: I've done this so many times...

After Audi have re-sprayed your rear hubs (a complete and utter waste of time and effort) then go see thread: Off to have the brakes fixed, and post #108; use POR 15 clear and forget...

Ok, I'll add the photo

RS3_0983_zps9946cb93.jpg

Your answer sounds like you're the only one in the world who knows how to paint the rear hubs correctly,i had my S4s hubs done by Audi when i first got the car and i kept the car for 2.5 years and when i pxd the car last week they still looked as good as the day they were done.

Your answer sounds like you're the only one in the world who knows how to paint the rear hubs correctly,i had my S4s hubs done by Audi when i first got the car and i kept the car for 2.5 years and when i pxd the car last week they still looked as good as the day they were done.

Careful Ben, we don't call John the professor for nothing. He is the font of all knowledge!

It may have read wrong but he was offering helpful advice, many have followed and had no further problem. I just can't be ***** to do it yet :thumbsup:

Reactions: 45bvtc
Careful Ben, we don't call John the professor for nothing. He is the font of all knowledge!

It may have read wrong but he was offering helpful advice, many have followed and had no further problem. I just can't be ***** to do it yet :thumbsup:
i apologise it was the Gentlemen: I've done this so many times... that got me going , changing the subject it was good to meet you all on Sunday i really enjoyed myself and look foreward to other club organised events.

Reactions: Mr_Freeze and 45bvtc

NO worries Ben; I've a very 60's hippy attitude to life and remember well Fleetwood Mac's Go Your Own Way...

I sincerely wish you good luck with Audi; you're not the first to ask them to paint your rusty rear (RS3) brake hubs.

But please take note of POR15; you can purchase this on-line from Frost - but now ONLY in the LARGE 946ml tin as ALL of the small 473ml tins have already been purchased by other Audi RS3 owners trying to resolve the same problem as you.

There are many other posts here in the RS3 Forum on this same subject: many RS3 owners have been here before, even having Audi attempt a repair…

POR15 works 100% for me and I can therefore recommend it to you and to others.

Reactions: Mr_Freeze
i apologise it was the Gentlemen: I've done this so many times... that got me going , changing the subject it was good to meet you all on Sunday i really enjoyed myself and look foreward to other club organised events.

It was good to meet you too Ben. I will be at AITP next.

You will grow to love John, he has a wealth of experience to draw from and is more than willing to help anyone that asks for his help and those that don't.

I think secretly he's a salesman for POR 15 and i've got wise to his scam!! :lmfao:

It was good to meet you too Ben. I will be at AITP next.

You will grow to love John, he has a wealth of experience to draw from and is more than willing to help anyone that asks for his help and those that don't.

I think secretly he's a salesman for POR 15 and i've got wise to his scam!! :lmfao:

That's just so funny Neil.... Thank You...

400-mile round trip in BLUEY tomorrow - Goodwood (care of Audi) - REALLY looking forward to the run...
:happy:

In my experience dealers fixes of rusty hubs lasts months if your lucky.

IMO I'd go with Johns DIY fix every time.

Here you go Ben,

Have a look here...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/rs3-forum/190476-afternoon-mad-professor.html

My afternoon with "the prof".

These had also previously been re-painted by my dealer at there cost as Audi UK don't deem it as a warranty repair. Anyway them looking pooh again I consulted John and this was the result, they are still looking good today.

NO worries Ben; I've a very 60's hippy attitude to life and remember well Fleetwood Mac's Go Your Own Way...

I sincerely wish you good luck with Audi; you're not the first to ask them to paint your rusty rear (RS3) brake hubs.

But please take note of POR15; you can purchase this on-line from Frost - but now ONLY in the LARGE 946ml tin as ALL of the small 473ml tins have already been purchased by other Audi RS3 owners trying to resolve the same problem as you.

There are many other posts here in the RS3 Forum on this same subject: many RS3 owners have been here before, even having Audi attempt a repair…

POR15 works 100% for me and I can therefore recommend it to you and to others.

When I had the 135's wheel hubs sprayed they were fine up the point I sold it (2 years on) If the RS3's start rusting again I'll be using the POR15 you recommended.

After having the front brake fix and rear hubs painted by Audi i was very happy with the fronts but those rears were really not doing it for me.So after a few weeks and hubs getting worse there was only one solution i had to eat my own words and go with foot in mouth and phone John hoping he would accept my apology and do them Properly with POR 15.Well luckily he did heres a couple of photos so people can see the difference for themselves Oh and thanks again to John

Attachments

• IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,238
  • IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,191
  • DSCN0467 - Version 2.jpg
    DSCN0467 - Version 2.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,213
Reactions: Moschops, T-800 and 45bvtc
Believe it or believe it not but this 2012 RS3 (17K miles) is on sale today at Tamworth Audi (part of the Jardine Motor Group):

RS3rearhubs_zpsc573e2f9.jpg

Woah! Who's gonna complain now?

Believe it or believe it not but this 2012 RS3 (17K miles) is on sale today at Tamworth Audi (part of the Jardine Motor Group):

RS3rearhubs_zpsc573e2f9.jpg

Woah! Who's gonna complain now?
Shocking ,it looks like they've had the wheel off toput a new tyre on there and left the nut covers off aswell.Thats where i bought mine from. Edit New tyres all round by the looks of it and the front nut covers are also missing.

Finally Painted the rusty rear hubs today

Before

Image 1

After

Reactions: KKM, Moschops, 45bvtc and 1 other person
Finally Painted the rusty rear hubs today

Before

View attachment 20122

After

View attachment 20123

looking good mate. Mines goes in tomorrow to Audi body shop for my rears to be done free of charge. After having the front brake fix I just couldn't stand the look of the rears anymore....becomes a real eyesore as did I with my dealer hence the complimentary rub down, paint and seal!

....will post pics later in week.

Reactions: T-800
looking good mate. Mines goes in tomorrow to Audi body shop for my rears to be done free of charge. After having the front brake fix I just couldn't stand the look of the rears anymore....becomes a real eyesore as did I with my dealer hence the complimentary rub down, paint and seal!

....will post pics later in week.

In the process of doing mine, front and rears plus G-techniq wheel armour on the rims. Pretty tedious business, about 3 hours per wheel so far with other commitments in between! Coulsdon Audi offered to do the rears out of warranty for £190.00 (apparently this is not a "fault" but a feature). I told them where to go on principle, another own goal there for Audi/Coulsdon.

Reactions: Moschops
POR15 CLEAR in a 1-US Pint tins is currently (27th August) in stock at Frosts (£27.45 with FREE delivery - and listed on eBay), I've just ordered a NEW tin - I'll be needing to protect my NEW front brake discs next month.

I'll do chapter and verse on this later guys (far too warm now) with ALL of the materials I've used.

It is worth rembering that my 'hubs' (ok, so I fit winter wheels/tyres) have now done 2-winters (1-application in November 2011), and all I do is hose 'em off.

POR15 works for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moschops
Going do mine soon :)

As requested: these are my REAR brake hubs; I treated these with POR15 in November 2011 and now, 2-winters and 6000-miles later, they're still looking good.

POR15-09_zpsd84de4ab.jpg

Here's what I did to mine and have done the same to others (allow 3-hours):

1) Remove one REAR wheel and tyre assembly (if you do not have the confidence to remove and replace safely then stop now!).

2) Either a) where the brake hub is only lightly rusted: remove the surplus rust from the brake hub. DO NOT overdo the cleaning. If the brake hub is only lightly rusted then a light rub-over will suffice. De-dust and lightly coat with POR15.

2) Or b) where the brake hub is heavily rusted: remove the surplus rust from the brake hub. DO NOT overdo the cleaning. Mix POR15 clear, silver, and black to choice (maybe silver only?). De-dust and lightly coat with POR15 (to choice).

Note: Additional rust treatment is not required; POR15 is a 'rust prevention paint'.

3) If required, apply a coat of POR15 clear to the brake disc back-plate.

4) Allow 2-hours (minimum) for drying.

5) When the brake hub is dry refit the wheel and tyre assembly and tighten to the correct torque.

6) Repeat the above on the opposite REAR brake hub.

Materials for the REAR brake hubs and brake backplate:
3M medium grade (2) synthetic steel wool pads
2 x 1/2" good quality brushes
1-US pint of POR15 (rust prevention paint) clear

And where added colour is required:
1-US pint of POR15 (rust prevention paint) silver (to mix)
1-US pint of POR15 (rust prevention paint) black (to mix)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These are my ORIGINAL FRONT brake hubs, treated with POR15 in November 2011, as above.

POR15-10_zps8df7f668.jpg

Here's what I did to mine but have NOT done the same to others (allow 5-hours):

1) Remove one FRONT wheel and tyre assembly (again, if you do not have the confidence to remove and replace safely then stop now!).

2) Use a proprietary brake dust cleaner and clean the brake hub and spider. Depending on contamination it may be necessary to use additional 'cleaners'.

Where necessary use a polishing compound to clean/polish the aluminium hub.

De-dust and lightly coat with POR15 clear.

4) If required, apply a coat of POR15 silver to the (rusty) wheel hub (as seen behind the brake disc)

Note: Additional rust treatment is not required; POR15 is a 'rust prevention paint'.

5) Allow 2-hours (minimum) for drying.

6) When the brake hub is dry refit the wheel and tyre assembly and tighten to the correct torque.

7) Repeat the above on the opposite FRONT brake hub.

Materials for the FRONT brake hubs, brake backplate, and wheel hub:
Proprietary brake dust cleaner

And if added colour is required for the wheel hub:

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Reactions: 8PARSY and L1ARR
As requested: these are my REAR brake hubs; I treated these with POR15 in November 2011 and now, 2-winters and 6000-miles later, they're still looking good.

POR15-09_zpsd84de4ab.jpg

Here's what I did to mine and have done the same to others (allow 3-hours):

1) Remove one REAR wheel and tyre assembly (if you do not have the confidence to remove and replace safely then stop now!).

2) Either a) where the brake hub is only lightly rusted: remove the surplus rust from the brake hub. DO NOT overdo the cleaning. If the brake hub is only lightly rusted then a light rub-over will suffice. De-dust and lightly coat with POR15.

2) Or b) where the brake hub is heavily rusted: remove the surplus rust from the brake hub. DO NOT overdo the cleaning. Mix POR15 clear, silver, and black to choice (maybe silver only?). De-dust and lightly coat with POR15 (to choice).

4) Allow 2-hours (minimum) for drying.

5) When the brake hub is dry refit the wheel and tyre assembly and tighten to the correct torque.

6) Repeat the above on the opposite REAR brake hub.

Materials for the REAR brake hubs and brake backplate:
3M medium grade (2) synthetic steel wool pads

And where added colour is required:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These are my ORIGINAL FRONT brake hubs, treated with POR15 in November 2011, as above.

POR15-10_zps8df7f668.jpg

Here's what I did to mine but have NOT done the same to others (allow 5-hours):

1) Remove one FRONT wheel and tyre assembly (again, if you do not have the confidence to remove and replace safely then stop now!).

2) Use a proprietary brake dust cleaner and clean the brake hub and spider. Depending on contamination it may be necessary to use additional 'cleaners'.

Where necessary use a polishing compound to clean/polish the aluminium hub.

De-dust and lightly coat with POR15 clear.

4) If required, apply a coat of POR15 silver to the (rusty) wheel hub (as seen behind the brake disc)

5) Allow 2-hours (minimum) for drying.

6) When the brake hub is dry refit the wheel and tyre assembly and tighten to the correct torque.

7) Repeat the above on the opposite FRONT brake hub.

Materials for the FRONT brake hubs, brake backplate, and wheel hub:
Proprietary brake dust cleaner

And if added colour is required for the wheel hub:

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Further to John's excellent as ever advice, my own recent experience is:

• Clean the polished/cleaned metal with something like IPA (alcohol)
  • Don't use a fluffy rag or kitchen roll, as the fibres will find their way into the POR15 - this stuff is more like varnish than paint
  • Touch it up for up to 30 mins after applying as it pools easily and will set that way unless redistributed
  • While you're at it, treat the rims to some G-techniq wheel armour - one small bottle should do all four wheels but you will need to buy more lint-free pads than supplied, generally (women's make up pads)
  • Lubricate with beer or beverage of choice, as the job takes a while!

Reactions: 8PARSY and 45bvtc
Had the car back for a week or two now, since getting the Stealer's to correct the corroded hubs.

Sorry but I'm just getting round to uploading some pics taken from my iPhone....I hope they do them justice but I am very happy with the finish to both the hubs and rear of the discs.

l also got my tarnished chrome tailpipes changed and went for the black ones this time instead of direct replacements.

She is looking well groomed again :)

Need to get the wheels protected now (and follow John's advice) as I've had the brake fix for about 2k miles now and can say I am very happy to report no squeal - although I'm still not convinced the braking is as good as the originals, although that is possibly just in my head......but definitely no "Tonight Matthew I'm going to sound like an old bus" scenarios, which tended to frighten the sh*t out of even deaf pedestrians....as well as make the concrete pillars in underground car parks frown!

Having said that, the additional brake dust from the new set up is a nightmare.....and maybe not the perfect equilibrium we were all looking for......but I suppose we will never be happy when the manufacturers, who brought Quattro to our wheels, have since further treated us modest purchasers like royalty by presenting absolute perfection under the hood of our stealthy 5-pot middle-weight that tends to rattle most heavy-weights that dare square up on the tarmac!

I never thought I would say this, but I am actually loving my second Phantom RS3 more than I did the first one and at first I thought this was because she was squeal free and sporting new colour coded zorst tips, but I recon its because second time round I have mastered the winds, the waves, the tides and gravity and can now harness the love of vorsprung durch technik for a second time in my history with this world as if man has just discovered fire - WTF.....:)

...and to be fair I didn't realise there was a tray under the passenger seat first time round with a neat Audi pen.

Reactions: 8PARSY, 45bvtc, T-800 and 1 other person
Went to a Narrow Gauge Steam Railway (with both road and rail steam engines I might add) event at Statfold Barn Railway (Tamworth) today, just BRILLIANT! And stopped off at TAMWORTH AUDI (part of the JARDINE MOTORS GROUP) to look at/consider changing out 2.0 TT DSG roadster for a TTRS (don't ya just love that 5-pot engine!) roadster they were/are advertising.

ALL looked good from the front. And then, just one look at the brakes/brake hubs...

The 47i6 brake upgrade hasn't been applied (WHY NOT!) and the rear brake hubs look like this:

P1040059_zps360c106d.jpg

Audi Customer Care SERIOUSLY needs to gate a grip! HEY! Kelly Hathaway (Customer Services manager Audi UK)!!!

HEY! TAMWORTH AUDI (JARDINE MOTORS GROUP); WAKE UP GUYS!

The FASTEST thing out there is BAD NEWS; and RUSTY BRAKE HUBS IS! bad news.

Note: Audi Customer Services don't read the audi-sport.net forums, can you blame 'em!

Doesn't it just pi## you off that these Audi UK guys are so bl**dy complaisant!

And NO! I didn't buy it, it's still there... RUST and ALL!

Oh, and NOT ONE of the 100-year old steam engines operating today had as much rust showing as this 2-year old Audi TTRS!

Reactions: 8PARSY, T-800, elton121272 and 1 other person
Whilst leaving my RS3 for the new fitting of brakes.. noted my local dealer had a RS-6 on display.

Closer examination at the brakes.. spotted bits of rust.

They had a other bunch of Q3s and A1s for new customers to pick up.. all with rusty brake hubs, far worse than the above.

Spoke to one of the staff on-site, they said it's normal when they go thru a valet...

Attachments

• rs6_hubs.jpg
    rs6_hubs.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,229
Interesting thread, but it's not just RS3's or even Audi's that suffer this hub rusting problem. Although I know it's RS3's that you guys concentrate on.

It seems like most manufacturers use little other than porous silver primer on front and rear hubs. If you catch them when new Hammerite does the job quite well too.

Gentlemen: I've done this so many times...

After Audi have re-sprayed your rear hubs (a complete and utter waste of time and effort) then go see thread: Off to have the brakes fixed, and post #108; use POR 15 clear and forget...

Ok, I'll add the photo

RS3_0983_zps9946cb93.jpg

I did mine a month ago with the POR 15 and very pleased with the paint.

My finish around the inner edge is nothing like as neat as yours though John !! :anbet:

Have you any tips for a neat inner edge (masking tape or tool ?) or is it just down to a steady hand :sm4:

I did mine a month ago with the POR 15 and very pleased with the paint.

My finish around the inner edge is nothing like as neat as yours though John !! :anbet:

Have you any tips for a neat inner edge (masking tape or tool ?) or is it just down to a steady hand :sm4:

NO tape...

A good quality brush that you're prepared to sacrifice, a dash of thinner to the POR 15, and drop of French red for my own internal lubrication is all part of the process John, works every time...

I apply colour (grey) POR 15 first, flat lightly when dry and follow with a light coat of clear POR 15, and that gives me the finish…

Did Bluey 2-years ago - this now the 3rd winter - and they still look as good today as your photo shows…

Done exactly the same on the front brake calipers of the TT, they too remain as first done with a good gloss finish.

Reactions: JonnyG
Hi John,
There seems to be all kinds of different POR 15 paint on the frost.co.uk website.
Could you let me know what the product numbers are that you buy so i can make sure i get the correct stuff?

Hi John,
There seems to be all kinds of different POR 15 paint on the frost.co.uk website.
Could you let me know what the product numbers are that you buy so i can make sure i get the correct stuff?

This...

KGrHqJHJDME63ZMUdQBOynD3Wh w60 35

Ok, this is black (on eBay) but I use the same silver, black, and clear and mix to suit whatever I'm treating.

Reactions: Mr_Freeze and T-800
OK, so you guys have an inkling that I'm a big fan of POR15 so here's where we are now with ZERO treatment other than an occasional wash with whatever's going: the fronts; 15-months post 47i6 and with REDSTUFF and ZERO wash i.e., as is while changing from summer to winter tyres:

P1020012xxx

And the 'original' rears with POR15 painted hubs:

P1020013xxx

Once done with POR15 - even in the vents - it sure looks good to me: a hint of 'yellow' some might say but ZERO rust...

Reactions: Kelza, Paul-RS6, DAYTONA 500 and 1 other person
Another POR15 convert here.
I hope to revisit the fronts in warmer weather. :thumbs up:

I feel a bit of POR15 Silver, on the rough cast edges to match the rear hubs, and polish the spiders coming up next year.

Having only used the Silver, it has so far kept the hint of yellow at bay, so I think it might be the clear varnish like coat that eventually yellows, but time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAYTONA 500
Looks great that will have to do mine next :thumbs up: