S Line and Light and Rain Sensor Pack

BigD289

Reaction score
Hi

I've just been told by the dealer I should get the Light and Rain Sensor Pack (part of the Comfort Pack) if I want the daytime LED running lights (standard on the S Line) to come on automatically. Otherwise if I want them on I'd need to switch them on and off manually.

Can any S Line owners confirm this is the case? Seems silly to have daytime running lights but have to turn them on and off every time you drive.

The DRLs come on automatically whenever the car is running. The light sensor just switches on dipped beam when ambient light drops to a certain level.

Yeah, as hitchy stated, the LED DRLs are always on. The dealer may have been talking about the coming home / leaving lights. If you get the light / rain sensor package this will activate the DRLs and fog lights automatically in low light when you lock or unlock the vehicle.

I don't think you'll have the welcome and exit lighting unless you have the rain and light sensor.

Hi

I've just been told by the dealer I should get the Light and Rain Sensor Pack (part of the Comfort Pack) if I want the daytime LED running lights (standard on the S Line) to come on automatically. Otherwise if I want them on I'd need to switch them on and off manually.

Can any S Line owners confirm this is the case? Seems silly to have daytime running lights but have to turn them on and off every time you drive.

On all cars built in the EU after February 2011, Daytime Running Lights are required by law to come on automatically whenever you turn on the ignition. The salesman is talking a load of rubbish and should learn a bit more about what he is selling and the law!! The law also says the driver should not be provided with any means to turn the off.

Last edited:
On all cars built in the EU after February 2011, Daytime Running Lights are required by law to come on automatically whenever you turn on the ignition.

erm... I don't think this is always the case. However, as you say the salesman does appear to have a poor knowledge of the car.

Cars on sale (type approved) prior to 2011 may continue to be sold without the DRL requirements. Some of these had DRLs which were switchable. I remember my S3 having a switch next to the headlight rotary switch for the DRLs. My A4 allows the DRLs to be switched off in the MMI. See top of page 2: http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/daytime-running-lights.pdf

However, as the new A3 is a 2012 model car, it would have to conform to the full DRL requirements.

The salesman appears to be getting confused as to what the light and rain sensor pack does. It doesn't affect the DRLs at all. However, you'd need to have Xenon lights for the LED DRLs rather than standard bulb DRLs.

Last edited:
Or... He could have been thinking about the 8p A3 where the DRLs can be turned on and off. The rotary control has 4 settings; Off, DRL, Side Lights (which are a dimmer version of DRL) and Dipped Beam.

Yep, on the 8P without auto lights, the first switch position was for the DRLs, whereas with the auto lights, it was for automatic.

I'm not sure whether this is still the case on the 8V or not.

Or... He could have been thinking about the 8p A3 where the DRLs can be turned on and off. The rotary control has 4 settings; Off, DRL, Side Lights (which are a dimmer version of DRL) and Dipped Beam.

That makes sense. :thumbsup:

erm... I don't think this is always the case. However, as you say the salesman does appear to have a poor knowledge of the car.

Cars on sale (type approved) prior to 2011 may continue to be sold without the DRL requirements. Some of these had DRLs which were switchable. I remember my S3 having a switch next to the headlight rotary switch for the DRLs. My A4 allows the DRLs to be switched off in the MMI. See top of page 2: http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/daytime-running-lights.pdf

However, as the new A3 is a 2012 model car, it would have to conform to the full DRL requirements.

The salesman appears to be getting confused as to what the light and rain sensor pack does. It doesn't affect the DRLs at all. However, you'd need to have Xenon lights for the LED DRLs rather than standard bulb DRLs.

I did say cars BUILT after February 2011, rather than sold. Cars BUILT before February 2011 could still be sold without any DRLs but any cars BUILT after that date must have them and they must be such that the driver cannot switch them off.

Well my A3 was BUILT in May 2011; and they can be switched off, as mentioned.

Just as a side note can anyone confirm whether the Coming Home/Leaving Lights are part of the Comfort Package or are they standard issue on the S Line Sportback, the dealer said they were standard on my order yet they are listed on the brochure as a
£150 option PU8 Light and Rain Sensor with no reference to 'part of Comfort Package' Thanks

Well my A3 was BUILT in May 2011; and they can be switched off, as mentioned.

Can you drive in daylight with them off. The legislation does allow for them to be turned off at night when you are driving with dipped headlights, but if you switch the headlights off, the DRLs should come back on automatically. In other words you cannot drive without some form of lights at the front of the car.

It's actually cars that were TYPE APPROVED after February 2011 that have to have DRLs fitted. UK hasn't however mandated their use, unlike some other EU countries. In most cases there is a means, albeit not obvious, for deactivating them. On most VAG cars this involves holding the indicator stalk in a certain position whilst turning on the ignition. I'll be able to check if this works on the new A3 later in the week.

I did say cars BUILT after February 2011, rather than sold. Cars BUILT before February 2011 could still be sold without any DRLs but any cars BUILT after that date must have them and they must be such that the driver cannot switch them off.

No - that's still not correct as I understand it. Cars built after Feb 2011 don't need them if the model was type approved before (as XXXCorps states above). The 8P didn't technically need to conform, or the B8 A4 I gave as an example (where I'm able to switch them off) as their type approval was prior to 2011.

The new 8V A3 will need to conform as this model was type approved after 2011.

It's actually cars that were TYPE APPROVED after February 2011 that have to have DRLs fitted. UK hasn't however mandated their use, unlike some other EU countries. In most cases there is a means, albeit not obvious, for deactivating them. On most VAG cars this involves holding the indicator stalk in a certain position whilst turning on the ignition. I'll be able to check if this works on the new A3 later in the week.

UK legislation is usually a long way behind a lot of other European countries. I know in Switzerland and Austria if your car is not fitted with DRLs you must drive with dipped headlights all the time. I think that may also be the case in some other countries as well.

If you car has DRLs why would anyone want to switch them off anyway. Almost as stupid as drivers who drive with only parking lights on when it's raining or in poor visability. I was out with a colleague some while ago and it was pouring with rain and I asked her why she did not put her lights on. Her reply was "Well it's not dark is it"

paul8852:1826815 said:
Just as a side note can anyone confirm whether the Coming Home/Leaving Lights are part of the Comfort Package or are they standard issue on the S Line Sportback, the dealer said they were standard on my order yet they are listed on the brochure as a
£150 option PU8 Light and Rain Sensor with no reference to 'part of Comfort Package' Thanks

They come as part of the comfort package:

"Comfort package. Includes light and rain sensors, acoustic glass with sunband, rear parking sensors, cruise control and auto-dimming rear view mirror"

The light and rain sensors then includes the coming home lights:

" Light and rain sensor package. Automatically switches the dipped beam headlights and windscreen wipers on/off depending on the light and rain conditions. Includes coming home/leaving home function which delays the deactivation of the front and rear lights after locking and automatic activation of the lights when unlocking. The package also includes a windscreen with sunband for improved insulation of the windscreen and acoustic glass for reduced outside noise"

Can you drive in daylight with them off. The legislation does allow for them to be turned off at night when you are driving with dipped headlights, but if you switch the headlights off, the DRLs should come back on automatically. In other words you cannot drive without some form of lights at the front of the car.

You can drive the car with them off, with the aforementioned rotary switch in the off position.

You can drive the car with them off, with the aforementioned rotary switch in the off position.

Interesting because I cannot turn mine at all, not that I'd ever want to. My 2012 model does have the Auto Lights and Wipers option and Xenon headlights with the LED DRLs. Perhaps that makes a difference or perhaps Audi saw sense and made it so they could not be turned off when they changed to the 2012 model year in June/July 2011.

UK legislation is usually a long way behind a lot of other European countries. I know in Switzerland and Austria if your car is not fitted with DRLs you must drive with dipped headlights all the time. I think that may also be the case in some other countries as well.

From what I can gather, the UK has adopted this EU directive and all cars type approved after 7th Feb 2011 will adhere to the DRL requirements.

If you car has DRLs why would anyone want to switch them off anyway. Almost as stupid as drivers who drive with only parking lights on when it's raining or in poor visability. I was out with a colleague some while ago and it was pouring with rain and I asked her why she did not put her lights on. Her reply was "Well it's not dark is it"

The number of people who do this staggers me. The slightest bit of mist and they have all their fogs on - torrential rain on a motorway and no lights at all! The sooner automatic lights become standard on every car the better so we don't have this problem any more.

Are you sure? In the 8P, if you move the switch to the off position then it did indeed turn all lights off. In the 8V, I've got a feeling that it turns off all "normal" lights but leaves the DRLs lit. I'll test it tomorrow.

Are you sure? In the 8P, if you move the switch to the off position then it did indeed turn all lights off. In the 8V, I've got a feeling that it turns off all "normal" lights but leaves the DRLs lit. I'll test it tomorrow.
<br>
You're right. Off mode leaves the drls on.

Loads of people drive with no lights because they can see fine. They don't realise it's so they can be seen.

UK has adopted the regulation that requires DRL's to be fitted to new cars ( no retrospective requirement ) but has decided not to make using them a legal requirement. They can certainly be deactivated on my A1 using the indicator stalk / ignition method. This is also the case with the VW Polo and MK VI Golf GTi.

If you car has DRLs why would anyone want to switch them off anyway...

My dad does..

He considers the EU DRL legislation to be a conspiracy of either the light bulb industry or the oil industry and refuses point blank to use lights in daylight. He just bought a new Kia Cee'd and when I told him about new cars always having DRLs he almost threw a fit. Even before picking up the new car he went to back to the dealer to arrange the DRLs to be disabled (which in this case was surprisingly easy since the car he bought was last years model and the DRLs were already disabled )

I can't get him to understand that DRLs are actually very useful and that even in full daylight a car with lights on is much more visible. In perspective though, I consider his driving style (he's 76) to be a larger risk than having DRLs or not.

This link would seem to suggest otherwise and that the UK is enforcing the EU directive:

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/daytime-running-lights.pdf

That refers to the requirement to have them fitted. My understanding is that to make their use mandatory in UK all cars would be required to show forward facing white lights in daytime whether they were what is classed as DRL's or not. This is not the case and there is no requirement to fit DRLs retrospectively. No doubt in time when the majority of cars on our roads are DRL equipped the law will change. It is a very similar situation to what happened with seat belts many years ago - there was a requirement for them to be fitted long before there was a legal requirement to use them.

The requirement for the fitting of DRLs comes under the Type Approval process.

The legislation for making their use mandatory would come under the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 and any amendments thereto.

For clarification, I have DRLs and I haven't turned them off.

Last edited:
Vertigo1 & Deci...

Yes I'm sure.
That being said I leave the switch in the DRL position permenantly and they come on with the ignition and go off when the engine is turned off...
However, from this point on just look out for 8P A3s with Xenon lights; you'll be surprised at just how many drive with them switched off!! :ermm:

a_zps0b9ebfee.jpg

b_zps602ee228.jpg

Last edited:
That's because with an A1 you can't turn them off.

You're misinformed - you can turn them off on the A1, or rather I should say de-activate them.
The method is as follows:

To deactivate - with the ignition off move the indicator stalk down and pull towards you, hold in this postion and turn the ignition on for 3 seconds when you should hear a beep. Turn the ignition off then on again and the DRLs should be off

To reactivate repeat the above but with the indicator stalk up instead.

You're misinformed - you can turn them off on the A1, or rather I should say de-activate them.

To deactivate - with the ignition off move the indicator stalk down and pull towards you, hold in this postion and turn the ignition on for 3 seconds when you should hear a beep. Turn the ignition off then on again and the DRLs should be off

From the rotary switch I meant Steve...

XXXCorps: Ah sorry, didn't realise you still had the 8P, I was on about the 8V. As I said above, you're right that the 8P turns the DRLs off if the switch is in the OFF position. With the 8V, it doesn't, they stay lit.

XXXCorps: Ah sorry, didn't realise you still had the 8P, I was on about the 8V. As I said above, you're right that the 8P turns the DRLs off if the switch is in the OFF position. With the 8V, it doesn't, they stay lit.

No problems pal; gonna be waiting for my 8V for some time it seems; build week 30 I'm being told, though it could be brought forward I'm also informed...

FWIW, this doesn't work on the A3 8V