S line: Black edition grill or RS3 style grill?

lakers1234

Reaction score
Hi fellas

someone is asking me for advice so I’m just passing the question on to you people...

what would look better on a 2010 60 5 door A3 S line

a Genuine black edition grill or a gloss black Rs3 style grill?

just to note: the car is standard, has no other modifications. Doesn’t have the bi-xenon drls, just has the standard halogen lights

I guess what they also want to know is, when it comes to selling the car, would the Rs3 style grill de-value it?

pictures of your cars with an Rs3 style grill would help please

thanks

Last edited:
na highly doubt itd devalue it in money terms, but id keep the original grill.

quite like the rs3 grill, but mine being a 1.4 sport, id just feel a fraud.

sometimes see cars on ebay, its a negative when i see rs3 style grills on bog standard cars for sale. especially when they dont have the rings or the numberplate in the right place. makes me think either the original grill had a big whack, or the previous owner was lazy and just slapped on a grill; if they would modify only one thing and quit, why did they not see fit to follow through, what have they missed re: maintence.
so i would avoid in favour of a standard one.

in reality, most people looking to buy probably wouldnt even recognise it was not a factory fit grill.

Reactions: lakers1234
na highly doubt itd devalue it in money terms, but id keep the original grill.

quite like the rs3 grill, but mine being a 1.4 sport, id just feel a fraud.

sometimes see cars on ebay, its a negative when i see rs3 style grills on bog standard cars for sale. especially when they dont have the rings or the numberplate in the right place. makes me think either the original grill had a big whack, or the previous owner was lazy and just slapped on a grill; if they would modify only one thing and quit, why did they not see fit to follow through, what have they missed re: maintence.
so i would avoid in favour of a standard one.

in reality, most people looking to buy probably wouldnt even recognise it was not a factory fit grill.

great reply dude. You’ve touched on some really important points there.

yeah, my pet hate is when I see an Audi A3 with a ‘supposed to be’ Rs3 style grill, yet doesn’t have the rings, and the reg plate is right at the bottom or has the rings , but in the wrong place etc. Yeah I would steer clear of a car like that for sale also.

I think it comes down to personal preference and if the rings and plate is put in the right place then Rs3 style one can look amicable.

However, I think the only way to keep it looking desirable to all parties before selling it, would be to put the black edition oem grill on, or standard S line one that it came with from factory

thanks guys

Here is an eBay RS style grille on my 2006 A3.
I am not trying to pretend to be a RS3 and I do think that it makes the car look better.

Before:

11ab6b6d9cacb3641f54363ed10cc5f7.jpg

After:

bc75a20247a0b8700700d7d07da4e1fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Julian smith
for me, if you have the facelift, stick with the S-line grill. If you plan on getting the RS3 bumper, then get the grill as well.

Depends what colour the car is. I like a contrast between the grill and the body colour, so if the body colour is a light colour such as silver/grey/white then a black grill and surround look good. A black/blue/dark grey body and a chrome grill look good, to me of course and all the professional auto stylists. Can’t stand the black out everything brigade even down to black badges or the four rings all black, to me Yuk!
Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder but when it comes to selling the car you or your mate will be the looser.

I have a black edition 8p and recently put a RS3 style grill one which i think makes it look a lot better. Just wish matching honeycomb fog light grilles were easier to come by :(
20200608 020016

That's exactly why I prefer to stick with an sline grill. Honeycomb looks good of course but the disparity between the fog and grill is too big for me.

But I really like the black on dark colors, with keeping the ring silver.

Like this S3 for example:

To each their own apparently! Variety is good on the roads :)
6dd3ed34e0141a86587d4e4278fe31bd.jpg

On my S3 I have honeycombe fog light surrounds, but it came with the Chrome grill.
I fitted a Honeycombe grill to it so they all match, but it was so much effort that I wouldn't do it again.

On my S3 I have honeycombe fog light surrounds, but it came with the Chrome grill.
I fitted a Honeycombe grill to it so they all match, but it was so much effort that I wouldn't do it again.
Any photos of honeycomb? I’m thing full honey on my s3. Not sure though

Any photos of honeycomb? I’m thing full honey on my s3. Not sure though

Yup, got a honeycomb including licenseplate holder (because I wanted to retrofit front PDC into it).
Mine is a 2011 model, I bought it because the previous owner smacked the original grille. Was thinking about fitting a original grille but couldn't find a reasonable one at the time.

I also bought the pre-facelift foglight trims because it made it all black, originally my car didn't had foglights I retrofitted them too. But thinking about fitting an original grille and put chrome strips on it (stickers, see 3rd photo, I had it for a little while but did it quick and wasn't that good looking so want to do it again but now on a neat manner) and putting in the chrome foglight trim again.

Most people do a chrome delete but I think it goes quite well with the chrome doorhandles, roof rails and alu alloys.

IMG-20200709-170906.jpg

IMG-20200709-170911.jpg

photo-2020-01-23-16-46-53.jpg

photo-2020-01-23-16-47-01.jpg

I’m toying with the idea of fitting an RS style Quattro badge. I went for a black one with the chrome edging (the most subtle option on a blackline)

mim not sure if it should be in my current S3/s-line grill. Think I’ve got a photo actually of when I ‘offered it up’ to see what it would look like...,.

How do upload a photo from my camera roll? Or do I need to photo bucket images before I can post??

[photo=medium]10838[/photo]

Last edited:
I have a 2008 which is in the cut off between facelift and not would anyone know what type of grill would be required for this as looking at a black edition one on ebay but say 2008-2013 so unsure if its right

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200629-071528_Auto Trader.jpg
    Screenshot_20200629-071528_Auto Trader.jpg
    508.2 KB · Views: 211
I have a 2008 which is in the cut off between facelift and not would anyone know what type of grill would be required for this as looking at a black edition one on ebay but say 2008-2013 so unsure if its right
Yours is the same as the 06/07 plates

Reactions: linfords81
Yup, got a honeycomb including licenseplate holder (because I wanted to retrofit front PDC into it).
Mine is a 2011 model, I bought it because the previous owner smacked the original grille. Was thinking about fitting a original grille but couldn't find a reasonable one at the time.

I also bought the pre-facelift foglight trims because it made it all black, originally my car didn't had foglights I retrofitted them too. But thinking about fitting an original grille and put chrome strips on it (stickers, see 3rd photo, I had it for a little while but did it quick and wasn't that good looking so want to do it again but now on a neat manner) and putting in the chrome foglight trim again.

Most people do a chrome delete but I think it goes quite well with the chrome doorhandles, roof rails and alu alloys.

IMG-20200709-170906.jpg

IMG-20200709-170911.jpg

photo-2020-01-23-16-46-53.jpg

photo-2020-01-23-16-47-01.jpg
I like it. Personally I think contrast is so important. My is is a blackline, hence the odd bit of chrome/colour here and these goes well I think.

sod it, I’m going to fit my Quattro badge todsy!!!

Upload 2020 7 16 6 4 2

Reactions: henkkeumus
im pretty sure your grill is the same as my S-Line Blackline from my 2010???

[photo=medium]10838[/photo]
Sorry, I’m wrong actually. You’d need a pre 08 facelift. My bad

I like it. Personally I think contrast is so important. My is is a blackline, hence the odd bit of chrome/colour here and these goes well I think.

sod it, I’m going to fit my Quattro badge todsy!!!

View attachment 206426
Where did you get your grill from? I also have a black edition but there is too much plastic on the grill for my liking, The grill on yours makes it look so much better.

Where did you get your grill from? I also have a black edition but there is too much plastic on the grill for my liking, The grill on yours makes it look so much better.

Yeah I cheated. I’ve got a full S3 front end including grill. The grill will fit all 8p1 up to 2013. No need to have the entire bumper etc

Want to buy it? I’m looking at rs3 style upgrades online as we speak.