S line suspension height help!!

ab1702

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone could shed any light on how I can tell if my car has s line or sport suspension?
Basically I took my car for a service and garage said a spring had broke on the rear so I told them to replace both rear springs. I have a 170 diesel s line but since I got it back I could swear that the rear end looks fairly higher. I know sport is 10 or 15mm lower than standard and s line is 10mm lower again but how can I tell which I have actually got? Is there anything I can measure to or look at to tell me??

Someone please help

Thanks

You can only tell if they are the correct spring by looking at the paint marks on the springs and the part number. That's if they put Audi OE springs on.

Bang a picture on, I have this issue, pretty sure mine now has sport springs on it too

I'm thinking it's got sport springs on aswell, but I have also thought what you've just said about them just being new springs which will be stiffer because there new and not had thousands of miles worth of wear and tear..

Il put a pic on tomorrow when it's light outside and il get it on a flat surface

You can only tell if they are the correct spring by looking at the paint marks on the springs and the part number. That's if they put Audi OE springs on.
What paint marks would I be looking for exactly?

What year is your car? 2006?

I've been told that this happens a lot when the springs get replaced, I shall be buying some H&R springs to sort this out!

ok, now this subject i know a fair amount about, there are only two ways to get Sline springs, first being OE (dealer or TPS) the other is to order from a factors, BUT factors dont keep them on the shelf (Euro/MPD) what they do is order them in over night, most normal (non indy garages) wont know if theres a difference so when they are asked if its got sline suspension they wont have a clue, they fit a pair and leave it at that

That said, a pair of brand new springs will be stronger than worn ones and so will sit a little higher, it will also take a few miles to settle, the other springs will have sagged a little so sit lower

alot depends on what garage done the job and if they fitted OE or aftermarket

Reactions: Cambaines
What paint marks would I be looking for exactly?

They just put 2 or 3 dabs of paint in different colours on the spring near the top to identify the spring rating. Should be easy to see on brand new springs. Torch and good eyes to see the colours. I'm sure someone on the forum will tell us the colours---------------PHIL! where are you?

ok, now this subject i know a fair amount about, there are only two ways to get Sline springs, first being OE (dealer or TPS) the other is to order from a factors, BUT factors dont keep them on the shelf (Euro/MPD) what they do is order them in over night, most normal (non indy garages) wont know if theres a difference so when they are asked if its got sline suspension they wont have a clue, they fit a pair and leave it at that

That said, a pair of brand new springs will be stronger than worn ones and so will sit a little higher, it will also take a few miles to settle, the other springs will have sagged a little so sit lower

alot depends on what garage done the job and if they fitted OE or aftermarket

so really I'd need to ask where they got them from then, they were done within a few hours of them telling me that u needed a new one so obviously weren't ordered in.. Would you know what colour paint markings the s line springs would have on them?

They just put 2 or 3 dabs of paint in different colours on the spring near the top to identify the spring rating. Should be easy to see on brand new springs. Torch and good eyes to see the colours. I'm sure someone on the forum will tell us the colours---------------PHIL! where are you?

Im in Cornwall, well, on the Devon/Cornwall boarder, my garage is in a town called Launceston :)

so really I'd need to ask where they got them from then, they were done within a few hours of them telling me that u needed a new one so obviously weren't ordered in.. Would you know what colour paint markings the s line springs would have on them?

if you message me the reg number i will be able to tell you the colour dots first thing in the morning dude

All it is that indy garages and indy motor factors might only list one spring for the car, usually the SE one, and that's what they'll send round to be fitted.

So if the car is sitting higher than it should be you need to go back, return the springs and get some S-line ones from Audi. Alternatively it's a great time to upgrade to Eibach pro-kit springs :)

3 white and a lylac, BUT Truro audi are currently confirming that

Ok so been to garage on way home from work and the 'gaffer' was there who wasn't there when I had the work done. He says they would have used euro car parts and when they ring up to order the parts he says they normally tell them if they are dealer only or not. He says if I take him the invoice which I do have he will check it against his records with the part number etc and swap them if needs be so he's being good about. When I've got home and looked at the invoice they have charged me £140 to supply and fit 2 springs so don't know if they are s line Spring prices or not??!!

Here's how it looks at the minute, it's the rear ones in question.

@ab1702 hard to tell with black car and black tyre but your's looks like it may settle to normal height.

That red one is on some weird suspension (if it's a factory s-line spec)...

No mines been replaced with sport throughout its life 100% not sline suspension

Reactions: Sayam
Done a bit of editing on the good old iPhone so we can see the wheel arch, clearly not as high as cambaines red s line.

There was a thread a few weeks ago about the ride height on 3 door cars. Most seem a little higher than there Sportback counterparts with same suspension pack.

I created a thread with a query about my ride height and came to the conclusion that they were sport springs, give it a few weeks and I recon they will settle nicely

I don't have a clue, I haven't seen one as high as mine going to get some eibach springs after thermostat and service, fell out of love with the thing at the moment :/

Euro car parts DONT sell S-line springs (and tbh i wouldnt put euro springs anywhere near a car of mine)

Mine looks like it has 2 Springs welded together, handles like a barge with the body roll :/ may change my mind about the thing if I get some springs on it

I've seen him today and he says if I take him my invoice (which I do still have) then he'll match up the invoice number with his paperwork and receipts and swap them if needs be, he were spot on about it to be fair.

That's decent to be honest, can't knock that for customer service! I would get told to get f**ked and buy my own parts if I said that to my mechanic

How sure are you about that @phil miller? Might make a phone call to euro tomorrow to find out then

Im sure because (before i saw the light) call them and give them your reg number, ask for the price and part number, then call them back and give LY57 FKP (its an SE) ask for a price and part number, they will give you the same part number, yet one is an SE the other is an S-line

Haha, he just said if that were the case then he would take it up with euro as its their mess up..

He did also say though that euro normally tell him if it's a dealer only part if they can't supply it so who knows maybe euro have started doing an s line Spring

I will give that a try tomorrow then and see what they say, I wonder if Audi would give me the proper s line part number if I rung and asked them?!?

I will give that a try tomorrow then and see what they say, I wonder if Audi would give me the proper s line part number if I rung and asked them?!?

haha i tried that aswell, they wouldnt/couldnt give a part number, only colour code, which explains why, when i call TPS for springs they ask the colours on them

@phil miller I've just looked on euro car parts website and if trade can order the same parts as what are on the website then they only do 2 different sizes of rear springs so you would imagine it would be the s line ones that they don't do

@phil miller I've just looked on euro car parts website and if trade can order the same parts as what are on the website then they only do 2 different sizes of rear springs so you would imagine it would be the s line ones that they don't do

the 2 springs will prob be small engined petrols and then the bigger engines, they prob only list one that covers all Diesels, the garage didnt really stand a chance of getting it right (unless they know there VAG cars)