S line suspension on a SE

johnnevett

Reaction score
Hi all
is it a straight swap for fronts and rear shocks and springs from an s line to go on a 2.0tdi.
Thanks

yes no special tools required ,just swap em over
Can you swap just the s line springs on standard se shocks?
Also, been reading people seen to favour the Eibach sportlines, can these be used on standard shocks?
thanks.

Spring rate won't be right if you put the s line springs on se shock

But yes you could do both i'm sure

so what shocks would you recommend for the sportlines?

Your standard ones will do sportlines, but descent coilovers would be best if you want low and handling. But If your just after a quick drop with a stiffer feel the springs will be fine.

Your standard ones will do sportlines, but descent coilovers would be best if you want low and handling. But If your just after a quick drop with a stiffer feel the springs will be fine.
thanks mate
would the sportlines be better on a line shocks though or is it not worth it?
also would the drop links have to be changed?
Thanks

Been reading up on this a bit more last night and there seems to be a few threads around about camber issues
is it true when lowered the camber can't be adjusted because audis have solid upper control arms? How have others got around this problem when they've lowered there cars
thanks.

What's the maximum mm springs can you use on the SE shocks before the ride start's getting too harsh?

I've heard the sportlines drop still maintains comfort equivalent to sport suspension.

But haven't experienced it myself

I've heard the sportlines drop still maintains comfort equivalent to sport suspension.

But haven't experienced it myself
do you know anyone who has lowered there car and what the did about the camber?

The previous car I had was a Pasat with very similar multi link suspension system and the same issue happens with increasing camber as you lower the car. The real answer is adjustable length top arms

SPC Adjustable Upper Control Arms / Audi B8

They are however not cheap. As long as you don't go really low it's not so bad, indeed a bit of camber helps turn in.
The standard ride height of an S-line is obviously OK but as you lower the car beyond that you will get increasing levels of camber.
I used to have a graph that detailed camber change against drop for a Passat.
If you fit new suspension then make sure the tracking is good on the car as otherwise you could end up with tyre wear on the inside of the tread. Personally I will be fitting some Eibach 30mm springs on my SE. You have to spend a lot of money to get decent coilovers that will give you a good ride for many years.

Karl.

The previous car I had was a Pasat with very similar multi link suspension system and the same issue happens with increasing camber as you lower the car. The real answer is adjustable length top arms

SPC Adjustable Upper Control Arms / Audi B8

They are however not cheap. As long as you don't go really low it's not so bad, indeed a bit of camber helps turn in.
The standard ride height of an S-line is obviously OK but as you lower the car beyond that you will get increasing levels of camber.
I used to have a graph that detailed camber change against drop for a Passat.
If you fit new suspension then make sure the tracking is good on the car as otherwise you could end up with tyre wear on the inside of the tread. Personally I will be fitting some Eibach 30mm springs on my SE. You have to spend a lot of money to get decent coilovers that will give you a good ride for many years.

Karl.
thanks for this mate, just what i needed
I think what I'm going to do is put on the sportlines and see how the tyre wear is on my stock 17" alloy, whilst I source some 18" alloys and save for the adjustable upper arms.
Other than tyre wear can not adjusting the camber after fitting sportlines do any other damage/ excessive wear?
how bad would the tyre wear be from not adjusting the camber, how long would tyre last.
also, what will you be doing when you put the pro kit on?
thanks

Can anyone help with what size the nut is on top of the shock absorber and what size the Allen key is. I need to buy a swan neck spanner and don't wanna buy a full set just to get the one I need.

if you know anyone with an air rachet or cordless impact gun. then this is far easier than the spanner jobbie

if you know anyone with an air rachet or cordless impact gun. then this is far easier than the spanner jobbie
unfortunetly not and it will be a solo job. So just trying to get best prepared.

Ok decided on changing the shocks when I do the springs
i going for sachs sports shocks with the eibach sportlines ,as my shocks have covered 80,000 and don't wanna do the job twice if they fail, I'm going to change them
so, can anyone with sports shocks as standard on a 2.0tdi post there part numbers so I know I will get the correct ones
thanks

got h&R springs on se shocks, they give it a lovely stance and very comfy

got h&R springs on se shocks, they give it a lovely stance and very comfy

What mm drop are your H&R springs, any pics?
I've been looking at dropping my SE on H&R 30mm springs, but it would be nice to see how the car looks on these first, I'm on 19's.
:sign_pics:

S lines come with the Sports suspension as standard which is a 20mm drop and the optional S line suspension is a 30mm drop.
I have the S line 30mm drop on mine and I have the 19" wheels. Looks good and I don't find it too hard, although it is a little bit harder with the 19" than it was with the 18" wheels.

Reactions: RS5 JON
hi will get some pictures soon as I get the car back gone in for some work. sure its 35mm but might be 30mm just txted my mate who done them. came from a b6 before and had cheap coilovers and hated them, but he talked me into the h&r and fair plays going from a se set up to just the springs was shocked at how comfy they are, do have 18" s line wheels tho not 19" so dunno how they will fair.but will try get some pictures asap.

found a picture on my mobile but dnt have a clue how to put it on here when I try to upload it, it selects the file but nothing else happens however have made an album and uploaded it into there to view its dropped a little more since that picture as they have bedded in now but for me its perfect for comfort. mate said they were H&R 35 mm all round.

Reactions: RS5 JON
Think I'll go 35 or maybe even 40mm with the 19" wheels on. I want the dropped look but still some comfort for the Mrs on long journeys. I previously had a Golf Mk4 and dropped it 40mm on 18's and the ride was so rough, Scottish roads!!!
Hopefully it won't be so bad on the Audi.
Cheers JG