S-Tronic 1st gear

97catalunya

Reaction score
Driving around yesterday I noticed the car changes from 1st into 2nd "very" quickly! Pulling away as soon as the revs hit about 1500rpm it changes, in dynamic it waits until about 1800rpm. Haven't floored it yet but I'm sure it will hold 1st longer.
It's only a minor thing but irritating as while pulling out of a junction it gives you a little flat spot when you don't want it? I think this could be part of the 1.8 lag that people talk about?
I have put it in manual and held 1st till about 2000-2500rpm and it makes pulling out at junctions so much smoother.
Is this something that can be programmed into the comfort mode?

I only ever drive in manual tbh because I prefer to be in control. If you are in auto and want to pull out quickly you can just use the kick down

I only ever drive in manual tbh because I prefer to be in control. If you are in auto and want to pull out quickly you can just use the kick down

I use manual when I want a fun drive but when I'm pottering round the shops it's nice to use auto.
It's fine when pulling away in a straight line, I only notice it when nipping out at a T junction joining traffic, if I used kickdown to do that I would soon end up on the other side of the road as the 1.8 has so much power on tap lol.
I understand it does it to save me fuel, and it's only a small thing but it is the only niggle I have in an otherwise perfect car :D

Fair enough, the only time I've used auto has been when on the motorway with it running in Eco mode so it uses coasting.

You could flick it into sport before pulling out? I'm guessing its not just the s3 that has sport auto?

Fair enough, the only time I've used auto has been when on the motorway with it running in Eco mode so it uses coasting.

You could flick it into sport before pulling out? I'm guessing its not just the s3 that has sport auto?

Yeah it has Sport mode, I have tried it and it holds 1st a little longer, how long it holds 1st is dependent on how many beans you are giving it, but if you want to comfortably join traffic I just feel another 5 or 600 rpm would really smooth it out.

I'm confused what you mean about manual. Is there a setting which will effectively let you take over the gear box so it won't change unless you tell it to?

Also, I just saw a video of the gearbox settings on MMI and saw an 'individual' option. Am I right in thinking that by selecting individual you can set when the gearbox changes gear?

For instance if I wanted 1st to change at 2554rpm then individual will allow me to do this.

You've got my intrigued now as to how mine does drive in auto. I've just never tried, off to the car after the f1 ;)

I'm confused what you mean about manual. Is there a setting which will effectively let you take over the gear box so it won't change unless you tell it to?

Also, I just saw a video of the gearbox settings on MMI and saw an 'individual' option. Am I right in thinking that by selecting individual you can set when the gearbox changes gear?

For instance if I wanted 1st to change at 2554rpm then individual will allow me to do this.

By manual, I mean using the paddles to change gear, so yes you can control the gears. If you hit the red line it will change for you though.

The individual I believe changes the aggressiveness and time it takes to change so no I'm afraid you can't preset the rpm.

In auto as long as your not giving it wellie it will change gear when it is the most economic.

Okay that sounds like what I thought initially, I don't really see the point of the individual setting as I'm sure Audi already have all the different driving modes covered with their preset modes! I think adding the RPM at which point the car changes gear would be a lot more useful! SORT IT OUT AUDI.

I've used individual for having everything set to comfort except the exhaust because I like the sound ;) so most if the time I use dynamic or individual.

You can change the sound of the exhaust on the S3 with an MMI setting? What's the point... why would I want to make my exhaust sound quieter! Mine will be set to wake the neighbours up all the time.

I've used individual for having everything set to comfort except the exhaust because I like the sound ;) so most if the time I use dynamic or individual.

Ooh does the exhaust note change with it too!

I can't wait to until it clocks up the 1000 miles so I can give it some stick and unleash that 180bhp ;)

Yup you can, that's my thought. I never have it on quiet.

Ooh does the exhaust note change with it too!

I can't wait to until it clocks up the 1000 miles so I can give it some stick and unleash that 180bhp ;)

It does on s3, not sure about a3. Have a look in the individual setting to see what you can change.

You can change the sound of the exhaust on the S3 with an MMI setting? What's the point... why would I want to make my exhaust sound quieter! Mine will be set to wake the neighbours up all the time.
Because I have explained to my wife the only 2 litre petrol A3 (like we had a few years ago) is now the S3. It is no lie! So having the option to turn it into full S3 mode and off again may help my case :)

I wish I had had that exhaust option on my 2.0t FSI A3! I loved the exhaust note but sometimes it got a bit much it would be ideal to turn it off without messing around with those exhaust valve kits you can get!

The changing gear early at about 1500 rpm is normal for the DSG gearbox, it does it in my Q3, you get used to it after a while.

Hi guys,

I just registered and I am kinda new to the whole forum thing.

I am not sure if this requires a new, but I notice that my car (black beauty as I often refer to her) also changes very quickly into 2nd gear. But the stranger thing is that I see on my instrument cluster the gear number indicator changes from 1 to 2 about half a second after the actual gear changes. All other gears change the display exactly as the gear shifts.

Am I alone in having this bizarre occurrence? It's as if she's trying to fool me that she is changing up a gear and saving fuel when she really isn't.

Don't get me wrong I love taking it to the oh so sweet red line as much as the next guy, it's just slightly off putting that the display isn't changing as it should.

Any opinions?

Thanks and sorry if this should be a new topic.

Hi guys,

I just registered and I am kinda new to the whole forum thing.

I am not sure if this requires a new, but I notice that my car (black beauty as I often refer to her) also changes very quickly into 2nd gear. But the stranger thing is that I see on my instrument cluster the gear number indicator changes from 1 to 2 about half a second after the actual gear changes. All other gears change the display exactly as the gear shifts.

Am I alone in having this bizarre occurrence? It's as if she's trying to fool me that she is changing up a gear and saving fuel when she really isn't.

Don't get me wrong I love taking it to the oh so sweet red line as much as the next guy, it's just slightly off putting that the display isn't changing as it should.

Any opinions?

Thanks and sorry if this should be a new topic.

Khatani, welcome to the forum.

The display and gear change are rarely at the same instant. Going from 1st to 2nd there may be a 1/4 to 1/2 second delay for the display to change. Sometimes when downshifting you can get the display to change just before the gear (I assume if the box has the wrong gear pre-selected and has to change it).

Gear changes from 1st to 2nd can be as low as ~1500 rpm in auto mode but in manual flappy paddle mode it won't change until the revs are >2000 rpm.

John.

Thanks for the reply John.

Iam glad that I am not alone then. I do however see that all other upshifts i.e. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 change display at the same time the actual gear changes.

But in any case as long as there nothing wrong with my gearbox I am happy. :)
Khatani, welcome to the forum.

The display and gear change are rarely at the same instant. Going from 1st to 2nd there may be a 1/4 to 1/2 second delay for the display to change. Sometimes when downshifting you can get the display to change just before the gear (I assume if the box has the wrong gear pre-selected and has to change it).

Gear changes from 1st to 2nd can be as low as ~1500 rpm in auto mode but in manual flappy paddle mode it won't change until the revs are >2000 rpm.

John.

errr.... I was under the impression that there is a fully manual mode where you control the gear changes using the paddles or pushing the gear selector fwd/back. Is there not? I'm sure that this is selected by placing the gearstick in the D detent and then moving it to the left. In this mode the car only changes gear when you tell it to, when you hit the red line or when the actual speed is to low for the selected gear.

errr.... I was under the impression that there is a fully manual mode where you control the gear changes using the paddles or pushing the gear selector fwd/back. Is there not? I'm sure that this is selected by placing the gearstick in the D detent and then moving it to the left.

Correct.
Full manual mode by pulling the gear lever all the way back then over to the left. You can then use paddles or push forward to go up the gears and pull back to go down the gears.

Well mine also did it but it was only in 1st wen I took off around a corner.
But it never 'bouncef' off the limiter. I thought all newer cars just sit at the limit and not bounce off and on to make that sputtering sound? I like the old way....

Correct.
Full manual mode by pulling the gear lever all the way back then over to the left. You can then use paddles or push forward to go up the gears and pull back to go down the gears.

phew! Thanks for confirming that. From the wording of Paul's post, I got the impression (probably wrongly) that either he wasn't aware of this or that my assumptions re the manual mode were incorrect.

Along with the manual mode if you leave in in auto (either D or S) you can still change gear manually with the paddles, this comes in handy if you want to change down before overtaking.

It will stay in manual for 30 seconds or so then swap back into auto, or you can put it back into auto yourself by holding the right hand paddle for a couple of seconds ;)

Along with the manual mode if you leave in in auto (either D or S) you can still change gear manually with the paddles, this comes in handy if you want to change down before overtaking.

It will stay in manual for 30 seconds or so then swap back into auto, or you can put it back into auto yourself by holding the right hand paddle for a couple of seconds ;)

Exactly right.

I find a quicker way to put it back into Auto mode is to pull back the gear lever for a fraction of a second (as if you were putting gearbox into Sport mode).

John.

Reactions: 97catalunya
I click it into sport and than Auto to get it back into auto mode. Will this have an impact on the gear box?

I click it into sport and than Auto to get it back into auto mode. Will this have an impact on the gear box?

Shouldn't think so? When I went on my test drive the dealer told me to flick the selector into manual then back to auto to put it back into auto mode! Shows you that the sales guy didn't know his product really?

Reactions: STERLING VOID
LOL, the sound of the exhaust inside the cabin has a electronic synthesiser fitted onto the bulkhead to make the noise...