S tronic 3rd gear thud

Pip7rsc

Reaction score
Have covered around 400 miles in my s3 and now started to notice a thud and feel it in the footwell on the s tronic gear change from 2nd to 3rd doesn’t always happen but sometimes harsher than other times and does it when driving normal and heavy footed. Has anyone else came across the same thing i.e is it normal ish? Or is it something I should take up to have looked at from the dealer?

Thanks

Speak to the dealer! You’ll be under warranty so get anything, especially transmission related, checked out ASAP especially irregular gear changes

Reactions: Pip7rsc
Have covered around 400 miles in my s3 and now started to notice a thud and feel it in the footwell on the s tronic gear change from 2nd to 3rd doesn’t always happen but sometimes harsher than other times and does it when driving normal and heavy footed. Has anyone else came across the same thing i.e is it normal ish? Or is it something I should take up to have looked at from the dealer?

Thanks

Mine is at Audi right now for the same problem. Does it feel like an aggressive gear change? Like you were releasing the clutch to early on a manual?

This was happening to mine too when I 1st got my S3, I have just learned to let the car change gear when I boot it, it only happened in manual, never in auto, I think it was where I was manually flicking the paddle just before the car was going to upshift, since I let the car do it it’s never clonked. It’s always been ok when driving steady though.

Mine is at Audi right now for the same problem. Does it feel like an aggressive gear change? Like you were releasing the clutch to early on a manual?
Yeh it’s exactly like That mate as kinda same thing when you have a nackered a diff in a manual and is quite a big thud, let me know the outcome if you can

This was happening to mine too when I 1st got my S3, I have just learned to let the car change gear when I boot it, it only happened in manual, never in auto, I think it was where I was manually flicking the paddle just before the car was going to upshift, since I let the car do it it’s never clonked. It’s always been ok when driving steady though.
I know what you mean mate sometimes in manual I get that but this is happening in full auto and even just low speeds driving normal I’m not the type to really make a fuss over things or bother the dealer so thought I’d ask here 1st but seems a bit different to what you experienced cheers

I know what you mean mate sometimes in manual I get that but this is happening in full auto and even just low speeds driving normal I’m not the type to really make a fuss over things or bother the dealer so thought I’d ask here 1st but seems a bit different to what you experienced cheers

Yeh definitely get the car back to Audi then, mine was driving technique but yours sounds a tad sinister. I wouldn’t worry though as they will sort it.

Yeh it’s exactly like That mate as kinda same thing when you have a nackered a diff in a manual and is quite a big thud, let me know the outcome if you can

Just spoke to Audi, and the gearbox ecu has been reset. Apparently, these s-tronic boxes learn how you drive. 3rd is usually the gear you would be putting your foot down whilst driving around in town to do an overtake so this figures a little bit that its trying to change into this gear quickly than the others.

I will see how it is when i get the car back, if it starts doing it again then i would assume that its learnt the way I drive again. I'm not too worried at this stage and we shouldnt have an issue claiming a new clutch under warranty as we have no control over the clutch operation in an s-tronic - a manual would be a different story.

I would still book yours in, mine was just an aggressive change, it wasnt making a thud noise so there might be something more going on with yours. How many miles has yours done and what year is it? There could be a bad batch of parts if we have the same year car? Mines on a 67 plate (reg'd mid sept 2017) - i'll have to find the build date.