S-Tronic Driving Tips

cemerson

Reaction score
I could have sworn there was a topic on this ages ago but can't for the life of me find it... feel free to link to it if you know where it is!

My new A3 is now in the UK and on its way to the dealership, and I'll be picking it up on 1st March with any luck - need to wait until end of Feb to get all the finances in order anyway so I'm not leaving it for a month just for the sake of a new plate before anyone comments on that! It's my first car with the S-Tronic gearbox, and while I've driven them briefly before when I've had loan cars or test drives, I've not had THAT much time with them.

I'm looking for tips and tricks to get the best out of the gearbox - how to get the best out of it basically. How to avoid sitting there waiting for it to switch gear because you went a different way to what it expected, etc etc. Anyone got any good tips for driving with S-Tronic?

Flat foot up shifts are smoother, so resist the urge to lift off when it changes gear or you do it manually.

Don't expect it to change down rapidly like an F1 car lol, it needs to drop into a safe rev-band.

If going for an overtake, drop it into Sport mode and into a lower gear ahead of mashing the loud peddle, you'll mitigate the box having to 'think' about what you want and lessen's the 'pause' for swapping cogs.

Reactions: Pook and Audi Bairn
One top tip is not to use the brake as clutch pedal! Other than that I have no tips. I just drive.

Reactions: rams_s3, S32B, RSS-S3 and 5 others
The basic things you need to know are that you can put the box into Sports mode just by knocking the stick back, useful for when you're coming up to a roundabout and want to make a speedy exit from it. Also, even if you're in automatic mode, you can override the selection using the paddles and the box will remain in manual for a few seconds afterwards before switching back to auto. If you want to play with full manual you need to push the stick to the left and then use either the selector or the paddles to change gear.

To be honest though, I find the fully auto mode is very good!

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Mark_86
With the 2.0TDI-184 engine you will probably find it has more than enough torque to pull away from roundabouts etc without too much messing about. On my existing 184 I tend to drive it in manual mode most of the time and really enjoy the quick changes using the paddles. The only time I tend to use the auto mode is if I'm feeling lazy or stuck in a traffic jam when I use the ACC and auto together.

Reactions: Andru8 and Audi Bairn
With the 2.0TDI-184 engine you will probably find it has more than enough torque to pull away from roundabouts etc without too much messing about. On my existing 184 I tend to drive it in manual mode most of the time and really enjoy the quick changes using the paddles. The only time I tend to use the auto mode is if I'm feeling lazy or stuck in a traffic jam when I use the ACC and auto together.

:sign hijacked: How do you find the AAC in traffic, is it any good?

Diesel or petrol? It has different benefits in both

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Diesel - it's the car in my signature

Reactions: DeanoC
Diesel - it's the car in my signature
Sorry i don't see signatures in Tapatalk.

You will find S mode over rev's the diesel engine. D and manual are great experiences

Sorry i don't see signatures in Tapatalk.

You will find S mode over rev's the diesel engine. D and manual are great experiences

I usually leave mine in E mode & when I do use S mode to overtake I end up using the paddles to change up anyway.

Reactions: DeanoC
I usually leave mine in E mode & when I do use S mode to overtake I end up using the paddles to change up anyway.
Exactly what i found myself doing.

Compete opposite now i have it in a petrol.