S-Tronic / Engine holding back

Tekneq

Reaction score
Hi,

Newbie here so I apologise for my lack of knowledge !

Recently bought a 8P 3.2 Sportback 2005 with S-Tronic, 45k on the clock.

First few weeks of ownership went well but it seems to have developed a strange problem, when cruising at say 60mph and attempting to accelerate slightly the car feels like it's holding back, so the engine note changes slightly but it does not really pick-up well. If you push harder on the loud pedal then eventually the gearbox drops down a gear and it seems to spring into life but still feels slow in accelerating compared to how it was previously. The S-Tronic kick down also seem lazy and slow to react, I really hope this is not a pointing toward a gearbox issue ! Any help appreciated...

Has the car been scanned with VCDS?

Kick down is a bit lazy and for quick getaways it's best to knock it down a couple of gears using the paddles or manual mode.

It is a characteristic of any auto box. If you accelerate moderately, the box drops down a gear and if you then ease of the throttle the box straight away the box will shift up again, hence the sluggish feel. The more gears that are in the box the more this happens. Drive a modern 7 speeder on a seemingly flat road, on a constant throttle position and they can change gears up and down all the time.
Try in 'S' mode, the kick down should work straight away. If you know someone else with a DSG/STronic box, have them drive yours so they can compare.
The gear oil &filter should have been changed at least once in it's life, if you are not sure, have it done. Oil is an important component of any auto box.

That's true but the kick down of DSG is lazy, especially compared to how quickly it can do everything else.

Thanks for the replies guys, I think having someone else drive it that knows the way the DSG performs may help, it's going in for the DSG Oil and Filter in a week or two. Will defo try the Sports mode and see if that helps, I gotta say that its nice to drive with the Paddles but the positioning of them is not great ! Will be asking Audi to run the VCDS when I take it in. Cheers

If you tap the accelerator fast it should wake the car up better than a kick down. Check your service book before you book a gearbox oil change it should have been done at 40k along with haladex oil. Always found with my 3.2 @60mph if I floor it (or half floor it) it pulls like a beast

Ray,

Thanks for that, yes I saw in the service book that the Oil change is recommended but the previous owner did not have it done so I'll go ahead and get that sorted, I defiantly think I have a performance issue as I does not pull like it used to ! Will try the quick application of the throttle but I think I have a bigger problem I'm afraid.

Yes, wack your foot to the floor and hold it there, should pull strongly up to the rev limiter and change up to the next gear, if all is well. As you have no turbo you can rule out any lag and a high torque motor like your 6 pot should not die.

Motor is going into Audi tomorrow for diagnostics, engine is definitely not revving correctly, see vid at 11 sec and 28. I was trying to hold revs at a stable level and you can clearly see fluctuations, no idea what's going on but makes for a strange driving sensation !

Many thanks for the info -Ju- , the car is with the Audi just now and it's had the DSG oil and Haldex service - the guy was trying to tell me that having the DSG oil change may solve the problem but I explained to him that when sat in neutral at 2k RPM you can clearly observe the rev's fluctuating ! There gonna charge me for the full diagnostics no doubt but I'm not sure I could have got round this despite me implicitly telling them that it's a ECU issue... I'm crossing my fingers that the diag show's the issue and they push the new software a I feel it clearly needs it !

You'll be lucky, nobody else has had the update done through diagnosis. You need to push them to do it and show them the info tbh
Good luck it will sort it!

Many thanks for the info -Ju- , the car is with the Audi just now and it's had the DSG oil and Haldex service - the guy was trying to tell me that having the DSG oil change may solve the problem but I explained to him that when sat in neutral at 2k RPM you can clearly observe the rev's fluctuating ! There gonna charge me for the full diagnostics no doubt but I'm not sure I could have got round this despite me implicitly telling them that it's a ECU issue... I'm crossing my fingers that the diag show's the issue and they push the new software a I feel it clearly needs it !
New software, no chance, is a fueling problem, probably coil packs or plugs, dont let them charge you more than £60 notes for the vcds, or check the vcds map on here and one of the lads will do it for a few beer tokens.

Sorry but an A3 3.2 hesitant at 2k is software.
Been there as have many others.

Audi can't find the fault ....! ****** typical ;-( Here's roughly what they said --> We have carried out the tests on the vehicle that we discussed and have not been able to experience a misfire or anything that would deliver similar symptoms. We checked the vehicles electronic fault memory which had no record of a misfire, revved the vehicle to 2000rpm as advised and still nothing. The vehicle was then put through the extended road-test last night and again was given a clean bill of health.
--end--
This is a blatant issue to me but I guess if your not driving it regularly then perhaps its not as noticeable, I don't know whats best to do from here....this sucks!

Legend -Ju-, thanks so much for this. I had no idea that so many 3.2 owners had this same issue. The battle now is to going to be getting Audi to actually apply this fix to my car, I'm guessing that I could struggle to convince them but lets see how we go...!

As suspected I'm struggling, several test drives and revving the car to 2k - Audi reckon they cannot see the issue and no fault code is found when scanning :rage:.

I emailed them the following info requesting for them to update my ECU but they say it's for a MANUAL version ! - ( I have DSG)
=============================
The TPI number = 2010289/3 (it also worded gearbox judder poor acceleration when changing gears at high revs, but the update is the same sw version) The original TPI has been removed from elsa pro and elsa win
SVM code for the update is 8P01A005
CD UPDATE DISC - 4F0 906 961 N
=============================
They have offered for me to go and demonstrate the issue to them, also they confirmed that they have checked the fuelling and coil packs etc... for any issues.

I tried searching the looooong forum post for a specific DSG code for the above and all I came up with was this post which showed a different transaction code of No.: 2010154/3 by one of the moderators.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...tant-engine-2k-rpm.78089/page-25#post-1015007

This is painful ! as always I appreciate your input guys and I would be lost without you so thanks for all your help :grinning:

Looking back through the original thread when I had mine done, the tpi number was

2005748/4

Mine was a 2005 Stronic also

Reactions: DJ_26
Audi no longer recognise this TPI number apparently - 2005748/4

Starting to massively regret taking this issue to Audi direct, I'm going to see them tomorrow to demonstrate the issue but I have no confidence so I think I will be taking my business to an independent - I'm guessing that they may be able to update my ECU according to the TPI as above....

Could this issue also be due to a coil pack on the way out also...?

There's a chap just had his updated back in the original thread HERE, he's in France but may have some pointers about his experience